PDA

View Full Version : Youngest son is coming along swimmingly.

cwtebay
11-24-2023, 09:54 AM
My 12 year old got his first antelope tag this year. We scouted for a good one for him for several weeks before finding this group. Put about a mile stalk on them, got him set up, ranged him at 527, he made his adjustments on his scope, waited for him to sort himself from the herd and shot him through the neck. Pretty happy little fella!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231124/c8a2677c1d37a2e46bb5f351716aa619.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

45workhorse
11-24-2023, 10:18 AM
Awesome!
Nice shooting, and memories

contender1
11-24-2023, 10:26 AM
Wow!
Kudos to that young man. Shooting at 527 yds is a feat many can't do. And I know it's hard to close the distance on them in the field. The wind must have been dead calm & the hunting Gods wanted to smile upon him!

Hickok
11-24-2023, 10:28 AM
Great to hear!

Wag
11-24-2023, 10:39 AM
That's awesome!

--Wag--

cwtebay
11-24-2023, 11:06 AM
Wow!
Kudos to that young man. Shooting at 527 yds is a feat many can't do. And I know it's hard to close the distance on them in the field. The wind must have been dead calm & the hunting Gods wanted to smile upon him!You're not wrong. It was early morning and the wind was nearly absent - he held into the wind (his hold was mid neck when the buck was grazing). He has been shooting ground squirrels with that rifle for 2 years and been shooting around 8 years altogether now.
I made it sound like it was almost a snap shot. He was in his bipod with my jacket under his stock to hold elevation. He is HAIR - PULLING slow setting up his shots, but it works for him - I have watched several critters walk because he couldn't get comfortable with his shot.

MrWolf
11-24-2023, 06:24 PM
Very impressive and congrats. Out here deer are taken at about 50 yards.

Joe K
11-24-2023, 06:54 PM
Congratulations.

Bazoo
11-24-2023, 08:47 PM
That's an amazing shot and a beautiful antelope. Congratulations to him and you.

TurnipEaterDown
11-24-2023, 09:19 PM
Very nice Speed Goat!

WRideout
11-25-2023, 09:18 AM
I don't know much about antelope trophies, but that sure looks like a nice buck. BTW: Which state are you in?

Wayne

WILCO
11-25-2023, 09:23 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

SSGOldfart
11-25-2023, 04:24 PM
congratulations

cwtebay
11-25-2023, 04:28 PM
I don't know much about antelope trophies, but that sure looks like a nice buck. BTW: Which state are you in?

WayneYes, it's a very good one for my part of the world - Montana.

Pereira
11-25-2023, 05:54 PM
Nice shooting, Congrats.
May I ask? What rifle and caliber.

And, I've never heard the phrase, Coming along swimmingly??:veryconfu

RP

cwtebay
11-25-2023, 05:59 PM
Nice shooting, Congrats.
May I ask? What rifle and caliber.

And, I've never heard the phrase, Coming along swimmingly??:veryconfu

RPIt's a Mossberg youth in 6.5CM. Shooting a Berger 135gr bullet over RL26.
(The phrase is British I think, means coming along well or better than anticipated)

Pereira
11-25-2023, 06:07 PM
It's a Mossberg youth in 6.5CM. Shooting a Berger 135gr bullet over RL26.
(The phrase is British I think, means coming along well or better than anticipated)

Cool, I was thinking maybe a Creedmore. I just acquired one at the first of the year, Savage Axis.
I took a pretty decent 6 point whitetail a couple weeks ago. 143 gr. ELD-x over some 4350.
Only 170 yds. though, but it did drt it.

Oh, and can see that being a British term, sounds like something they'd say. Thanks for the reply.

RP

lightload
11-25-2023, 06:23 PM
What a joy for me to see this picture. Obviously you taught him how to shoot long ago. I couldn't hit an elephant at that distance!

Does he shoot handguns too?

cwtebay
11-25-2023, 06:55 PM
What a joy for me to see this picture. Obviously you taught him how to shoot long ago. I couldn't hit an elephant at that distance!

Does he shoot handguns too?I gave him a Colt Huntsman for his 10th birthday which he shoots well. I have gotten his older brothers and sister a CCW type pistol for their 12th Christmas (so shhhh.......). Still researching what his will be. He likes my Colt 1903 but shoots my Savage 1907 better. I generally have been getting them 9mm new production (Glock, Smith and Wesson, Kimber, and my only daughter got a Colt 1903 that I had engraved for her).

cwtebay
11-25-2023, 07:11 PM
Cool, I was thinking maybe a Creedmore. I just acquired one at the first of the year, Savage Axis.
I took a pretty decent 6 point whitetail a couple weeks ago. 143 gr. ELD-x over some 4350.
Only 170 yds. though, but it did drt it.

Oh, and can see that being a British term, sounds like something they'd say. Thanks for the reply.

RPI should mention, the rifle he is using is from a baseball raffle that he sold tickets for so his team could pay for regional tournaments. I never win anything, but his big sis did and handed it over to her baby brother.

Pereira
11-25-2023, 07:19 PM
Nice! and very CoooL of the big sister.

RP

contender1
11-25-2023, 11:33 PM
cwtebay, thanks for the back story on that young man. Proper training,, and education,, shows through. Especially if he passes a shot he's not comfortable with. As a Hunter Safety Instructor,, I teach "ethics" as part of the course. If he's passing a shot,, that proves he has ethics.

Again,, "Kudos!"

Texas by God
11-25-2023, 11:46 PM
A great shot on a great goat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwtebay
11-26-2023, 12:28 AM
cwtebay, thanks for the back story on that young man. Proper training,, and education,, shows through. Especially if he passes a shot he's not comfortable with. As a Hunter Safety Instructor,, I teach "ethics" as part of the course. If he's passing a shot,, that proves he has ethics.

Again,, "Kudos!"I should actually post on my sons' shot refusals more. The walk back to the truck and drives home are my favourite parts of hunting.
Some of my most memorable hunts with them have ended in passed opportunities. I am very proud of all of my children for the number of shots not taken.
My daughter passed on a bull elk day before yesterday at 190 yards because she couldn't be sure of a clean kill - my chest was pushed out a bit from that also - but difficult to post pictures of those outings.

dverna
11-26-2023, 08:11 AM
I should actually post on my sons' shot refusals more. The walk back to the truck and drives home are my favourite parts of hunting.
Some of my most memorable hunts with them have ended in passed opportunities. I am very proud of all of my children for the number of shots not taken.
My daughter passed on a bull elk day before yesterday at 190 yards because she couldn't be sure of a clean kill - my chest was pushed out a bit from that also - but difficult to post pictures of those outings.

That is good hunting...being able to pass on a shot that you are not sure of. I would be proud as well!!

One of the guys at camp took a shot a deer ranged at 479 yards. Standing. He nailed the buck. He is not a very good shot and while everyone was high-fiving him I thought about how unethical that shot was.

There is a lot of that BS going on. See it here as well. It encourages people to make unethical shots.

You have done a good job of training your kids to be ethical hunters.