PDA

View Full Version : first deer on my land

michael.birdsley
11-22-2023, 11:57 PM
doe down. first deer taken on my 7 acre property in south west saginaw county. not the biggest doe i’ve taken but, not the smallest. First time ever taking deer in consecutive years. 2nd year in a row using my hand loads for my RAR .450. Hopefully next year i can say my first with cast bullets

i had a clean miss on a doe embarrassingly close sunday. It was my fault. i got into a hurry didn’t hold the gun right.

around 9:30 i saw the big doe on the nieghbor’s property she was heading my way heading west. she ended up not coming in to my side of the tree line. she instead winding me and took off. i was like “ shoot i knew the nw wind wasn’t going to be good). I decided to stick it out.

20-30 minutes later i look up and 45ish yards from me. 2 more does are coming from due south in the direction i’m looking. I brought my .450 bush master scope up on the lead doe and than this doe jumped out in front. she was quartering towards me with her chest facing me. I put my cross hairs middle low on her chest. pulled the trigger bullet entered her front chest and exited behind her front leg. she fell into the what’s basically, Now a swamp from all the recent rain. she got back up and ran about 15 yards and expired. come to find out there was a bunch more behind this one. could have possibly been a buck behind but, after what happened sunday i wasn’t taking the chance. First deer of the year is out of the way.

my 6 year old daughter is home from school on thanksgiving break and brought her out to see the deer. she was very excited to see the downed deer. she watched me tag and report the harvest via the dnr app. i than asked her if she wanted to see me field dress the deer and she said she did “ i told her if at anytime your done watching.i’ll take you back to the house” she said she wanted to watch. to her credit she stayed through 3/4 of the process. maybe soon i’ll get her out if she wants to hunt.

i’ll probably take tonight and tommrow off to give the spot some time to cool off. there is a heck of a rub line on the south end of the property. maybe i can still get a buck.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231123/ce40e16909eb7f34770a23e0e88ca4df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45workhorse
11-23-2023, 12:07 AM
Your land, your reloads, your daughter smiling, next to your deer! To steal a qoute, life is good!

skeettx
11-23-2023, 01:45 AM
AWESOME!!
Happy Thanksgiving
Mike

versa-06
11-23-2023, 06:38 AM
Happy man, Happy daughter, & a Happy freezer. All the right ingredients!! -06

Outer Rondacker
11-23-2023, 09:27 AM
Your land, your reloads, your daughter smiling, next to your deer! To steal a qoute, life is good!
Couldnt say it better so I wont, congrats for sure.

Rapier
11-23-2023, 09:36 AM
Yep good deal, all round. Congrats on your land, your deer, your loads, and your daughter being with you.

I will start cooking in a few minutes. Waiting to hear from the neighbor up the road, a mile. I loaned him my X Sight on a 358 with cast RCBS 200s yesterday. He woke up Tuesday night to the sound of his livestock all in an uproar. Had four wild hogs, 3 coyotes and five coons in his back pasture. Did not have a night optic, sounded like he had quite a show....apparently the yotes chased the coons up a tree and then the hogs came. He is the only one seeing hogs right now, I do whatever I can to get rid of them, do not want them to come back here.

Have a Good Thanksgiving.

Thumbcocker
11-23-2023, 10:27 AM
Nice longhead. Thanks for sharing.

nidrab
11-23-2023, 01:21 PM
Congratulations

Ramjet-SS
11-24-2023, 12:12 AM
Nice job

Messy bear
11-25-2023, 12:33 PM
Good on you for including your daughter as well. Always encouraging to see people doing that.
We hosted a young man and his 11 year old daughter deer hunting this year. Does we’re a hard find but she was a trooper.
she eventually got her first deer!