PDA

View Full Version : Educate Me on Lead and Zinc Sources

Pirate69
11-22-2023, 08:22 PM
The following is my understanding. Please correct me where I am wrong.

1) Stick-on weights are either lead or iron. There are not any zinc stick-on weights.

2) Clip-on weights are either lead, zinc or iron. Each category is in a relatively pure form.

A scrape metal dealer has some "strips" that he claims contain lead. They are about 1.5" wide, about 1/8" thick and various lengths. They appear to be some type of composite; not pure lead. They have a heavier than expected feel for the size of each piece. They had a glandular inside appearance when cut. They are easy to bend and tend to comeback, somewhat, to its original shape. A lighter will not ignite the material with a long attempt at lighting. Does anyone have an idea what this material is and if it does actually contain lead?

GuyKickinit
11-22-2023, 08:44 PM
The Lead tape weights are good soft lead for round ball. Just stink burning off the double sticky tape.
Clip-ons can be pure lead or an alloy. The painted ones are an alloy with zinc. (found out the hard way) Still shoot well for plinking. Just don't mix them in your pure ingots.
One way to tell if Zinc is in there is a slight crystalline appearance.
If you bend lead, it doesn't spring back.
I would steer clear of whatever alloy that scrapper is trying to sell.

Dusty Bannister
11-22-2023, 08:49 PM
Here is a link for the stick on ID from the sticky listed in the sub forum where you posted your question.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?229666-Stick-On-WW-XrF-Data

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?231905-Clip-On-Wheel-Weight-XrF-Data

Pirate69
11-22-2023, 09:05 PM
Wow, great start on my education. Thanks everyone.

jsizemore
11-23-2023, 04:16 AM
There's some stuff like this that has metal in the foam tape. Ain't sure about the metal but it's no fun to get out.

DYN2621 Dynamite Wheel Balancing Tape/Chassis Ballast

BK7saum
11-23-2023, 09:32 AM
False: 1) Stick-on weights are either lead or iron. There are not any zinc stick-on weights.

There are also Zn stick on weights as well.

lightman
11-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Yes, there are Zinc stick-on weights. Those links that Dusty provided are well worth the time to read. When sorting weights that heavy rubber like stick-on stuff gets trashed.

Rickf1985
11-23-2023, 12:09 PM
I have found quite a few zinc stick on's lately.
There are no pure lead clip on wheel weights.
I have seen as many or more painted lead weights as I have zinc! There are no weights that are alloyed with zinc, only pure zinc weights
The crystalline structure will be antimony.
At least you got the last one right, lead will not spring back when bent.

Please do some research before posting "Facts".

deces
11-23-2023, 02:00 PM
Process your weights with a pair of snips until you lean how to read what you got for materials.

oley55
11-23-2023, 07:00 PM
Process your weights with a pair of snips until you lean how to read what you got for materials.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/gardening-tools/pruning-tools/7094501?x429=true&x429=true&gclsrc=3p.ds&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds or similar pruning nips. Way better than side cutters IMO