PDA

View Full Version : What's your "go to" gun?

Lead melter
02-15-2009, 12:09 PM
We probably all have one or more. Just curious about this. List rifle, shotgun, handgun/pistol and why. I'll start...

Handgun: Ruger Single Six 22lr. My 15th birthday present. Always works, always handy and has accounted for a ton or more of small game, snakes, and critters caught on the trapline.

Shotgun: Mossberg 500 12 ga. Old and beat up just like me. With a set of clip on Firesights I can keep 5 Foster style slugs in a 10" circle at 100 yards from its modified barrel. Shoots to point of aim with anything I put in it. Just fits right.

Rifle: Marlin 336 in 30WCF. Shortened the stock several years ago in preperation of my oldest boy's first deer hunt. Tip to tip it is 36" long. Light, handy and accurate with cast or jacketed.

You got some too?

218bee
02-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Handgun- Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt. My first centerfire handgun which I "tuned" when in my twenties about 30 years ago (damn) it shoots to point of aim.
Shotgun- Rem 870 which was my dads, plain barrel no vent rib modified choke but killed a lot of small game. I remember when he bought it new and bitched a storm because he had to pay $100. He said he must be crazy to spend a hundred on a gun.
Rifle- This is probably the hardest. I guess I'll say mt Tikka in 6.5 Swede. Only hunted with it once and never shot at game with it, but this rifle flat out shoots no matter what bullet or load I feed it.

Sprue
02-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Pistol: S&W 686 love to shoot it with 38 spl. Its my all around goto gun. It always goes to the range. I just love the round, its very cheap to shoot and accuracy...... If not the 686 it would a snub in same cal.

Shotgun: 1100 Rem. I bought it when I was just out of High School. Its a Squirrel getter.

Rifle: My goto rifle.... well, you got me there...oh geesh! I, I, I can't deside but I am toying around with the 1894 at present. In fact, I just got a Gas Check mold for it.

~ 38 Spl is Top Shelf around here.

leadeye
02-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Old S&W 29 4 " Blue loaded with RCBS 250 KTs on top of 10 grains of Unique. Takes care of anything I run into in Indiana.

My rifle of choice is an old Nylon 66 very good for rabbits and squirels.

Larry Gibson
02-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Handgun; Colt M1911 Series 70 .45 ACP or Para Ord P14.

Shotgun; Rem M100 with 26" barrel (Rem chokes) with 8 shot extension, M870 as second choice, same barrel allso with 8 shot extension.

Rifle; Rack grade M1A.

"Go to" means survival of me and my family in a SHTF scenario. Of course other more hunter friendly firearms would be along for small game getting (quietly) but the M1A is entirely capable of big game and provides maximum protection at the same time.

However, when leaving home around town I always have a handgun (Colt Combat Commander .45) with me. On non-hunting short range trips I will carry a rifle also. Most often an M1 Carbine, the M94 30-30 carbine or the FR8 7.62 "scout". My car and PU have a "dig" ruck with LBE/ammo, binos and other accouterments for a short time "survival" situation if necessary. I look at it as "insurance".

Larry Gibson

DLCTEX
02-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Pistol: 1911 in 45 ACP
Rifle: Tough one, but right now 257 Weatherby, but Marlin 30A in 30-30 probably more pratical.
Shotgun: Rem. 1100 12 ga.

NVcurmudgeon
02-15-2009, 02:57 PM
With an accumulation of more firearms than I need, but fewer than I want, I could name multiple favorites. I took the "go to" question posed in this thread to mean the last of each type that I could give up.

Rifle NRA Sporter Springfield, cal. .30/06. Always a contender in CB matches, holds point of
impact with boring reliability, and "The .30/06 is never a mistake". Sights are Springfield
front blade (Army width) and original Lyman 48 with flip up smaller aperture. Paraphasing
Townsend Whelen again, "There is no difference between the best sights for hunting and
those best for war."

Pistol Colt Woodsman Sport Model, cal. .22LR reliable, accurate, quiet, fits perfectly, and compact.

Shotgun Ithaca 37 Pump, 16 gauge. I always seem to have an Ithaca around. I have owned
them in all three gauges, this 16 has become the favorite. With a case of sixes and
Graf's last ever 25 rounds of #1 buckshot in 16 ga. I am content to call on it for any
shotgun need. Even though I am the world's worst shotgun shooter, even I can hit with
an Ithaca pump.

sundog
02-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Larry and Curmudg, excellent choices. A dependable 1911 is an absolute must. Ithaca 37 is exctly what I was thinking about for a shotgun, only in 12 guage. M1, M1A, or one of the 03s set up however you want it for a rifle. I kinda like the idea of a handy carbine, too. Lever 30-30 would fine and so would an M1 carbine.

How's come, there's not any 'new technology' on the list?

357tex
02-15-2009, 03:15 PM
My all time go to gun when some thing needs to die,is a old Win.md 12,12 ga with 30 in full choke solid rib.Made in 1929 I bought it in 1969 well used.Back when lead was king for ducks it killed a truck load.Now keep it loaded with 1.5oz of #2 over the back door.
Handgun is S&W md 19,always handy.My ruger mini 14 now rides in my truck most of the time now.

kir_kenix
02-15-2009, 03:21 PM
This is going to be tough...

Pistol: I'd like to say a nice 1911, but anymore I carry my S&W 637 Airweight way more, and It's more practical in that role...

Rifle: One of my Remington 7600 pumps in 30-06. With 1.75 or 2.5x fixed Lupies they will get any hunting I need done....They shoot cast good as well.

Shotgun: My go to beater shotty is a Mosberg Silver Select O/U. It is getting pretty rough, but I have no problem using it to push down a barbwire fence or hold it up into a tree after a coon. Win 1200 or Mosberg 500/590 is a better all round gun perhaps, but I'll continue abusing my O/U for now.

Favorite all round firearm is my Remington Nylon 77. Great grandfather bought it brand new for his grandkids to shoot when they came over. Got passed down to me and It was my first real gun.

Bullshop
02-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Rifle - Interarms X10 35 Whelen imp
Because when the fun and games are over and tags need filled its what I go to.
Magnum performance with non magnum powder consumption.
180gn's at 3000 fps, and 250gn's at a bit over 2600 fps with less powder and recoil than a 300 mag or 338 mag with about the same balistics.
Hand gun - Ruger old model 3 screw in 22 CCM
Because it goes on with my pants in the morning. With loads that will completely penitrate a mooses skull it gives 1000 shots per lb of powder using 7 gn charges, and with small game loads it gives 10,000 shots per lb. powder with .7gn charges. The small game load pushing a 50gn PB boolit to about 900 fps being sub sonic is so very quiet it is a real pleasure to shoot. Cost per shot is very minimal the primer being the bulk of the cost. At $24.00 per lb. powder a .7gn charge is less than a quarter of one cent. A 50gn boolit yealds 140 per lb. lead so figure the cost at your lead price.
Shot gun - Italian percussion cylender bore 12 gauge with slug sights.
Because by batf rules its not a firearm but oh what it will do with powder we can make.
Blessings
BIC/BS

R.C. Hatter
02-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Handgun : Ruger O.M. 4 & 5/8" .45 Colt with either 260 gr. #454424 or #454190
over 8.5 gr. Unique.....Either shoots to point of aim.

Shotgun: Old Stevens M-520 pump with 00 Buck

Rifle : 03-A3 reliable & accurate

Old Ironsights
02-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Hmmm,

Have to be the one's I always "go-to"...

My Daily Carry SP101 and my Rossi M92 .357.

Larry Gibson
02-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Larry and Curmudg, excellent choices. A dependable 1911 is an absolute must. Ithaca 37 is exctly what I was thinking about for a shotgun, only in 12 guage. M1, M1A, or one of the 03s set up however you want it for a rifle. I kinda like the idea of a handy carbine, too. Lever 30-30 would fine and so would an M1 carbine.

"New technology"? We should remember; "new" doesn't necessaryly mean "better".

The M1911s aren't broke so no need fixin' them.

I gusess the M1100/870s have been superceded these days but they're not broke either.

The M1A? I've got a black gun" but what is cover to 5.56 is only concealment to 7.62. Besides I don't have to "keep shooting them until they go down" with 7.62 so the 20 round mags work out fine compared to 30s. I spend the time coming down out of recoil not to shoot the same target again and again but to move on to another target. The first target is already taken care of. In CQB do you really think a 130 gr Speer HP at 2900 fps needs a second shot? That is my "carry ammo" for urban SHTF. Additionally I have M80, M118 and some 165 APs loaded to 2600 fps available for other contingencies and that doesn't count hunting type SPs.

As when traveling if trouble happens it will be of short duration and my object is to break contact and engage only when necessary (at my option). The 3 rifles mentioned are sufficient for dealing with low life miscreants in that context as they are cowards and will look for easier pickin's. That is, unless I've already dealt with them. For the determined typses in the SHTF scenario refer to 1st rifle choice above.

It is my opinion that survival in either case will depend more on skill at arms than with the choice of arms and making sound tactical decisions. For example; first rule is to avoid a shootout if possible.

Larry Gibson

Boerrancher
02-15-2009, 04:52 PM
I never had much use for shotguns so I will sub a second rifle.

Handgun would be the Ruger Blackhawk in 45L.C. and the first rifle would be the Mod 92 in the same caliber. Both are light, easy to manage and are what I normally go to when I am out running fence or checking the live stock, so why should I change my habits? My second rifle instead of the shot gun would be my Springfield M1A. It would not be a carry gun but one used in the same manor as the browning BAR was in WWII, behind a covered and concealed position for those times when I was needing to take out multiple targets that have worked their way out of St Louis.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

MakeMineA10mm
02-15-2009, 05:03 PM
There is just no way to answer this question. I'm like curmudgeon - got way more than I need but not as many as I'd like to have... My wife would assert that I've got enough to equip a battalion, which means far too many, and I shouldn't even think of getting another one... [smilie=1:

I've ALMOST got a "go-to" gun for each general shooting situation... Which is my way of saying, I got more categories than you! :mrgreen:

For a combat shotgun: My Benelli 121M1 (the old, 2-3/4"-only, non-rotating bolt kind)
For a field shotgun: My inherited-from-grandpa Winchester Model 12 in 20ga. (Not because it's the perfect field shotgun - a Rem 870 is probably a better design - but because it fits me like I went to a custom stock-fitter and had it made for me. I can close my eyes and aim at the sound of bird wings and hit the dang thing about 50% of the time.) Although, I must also admit that I love the looks (but not the recoil) of the Win. 97 Trench Gun I inherited from Dad.

For a combat pistol: A Glock of some kind. I carry a 21 on duty and a 26 all the rest of the time, and a 34 with light and long magazine is my home defense pistol. For a combo field & combat pistol, I'd go to my personal favorite: the 20. I own somewhere around 30 of them now (around half of which are collectibles and don't get shot), and I can't find a better service weapon combining reliability, accuracy, simplicity, resiliency, and low expense.
For a field handgun: My S&W 629-1 w/ 6" bbl. More for sentimental value (my first revolver and was my H.S. graduation present from my parents - over Mom's objections), as there are a half-dozen 44 revolvers in the safe, any one of which would be servicable for the mission.
For a BBQ (show-off) handgun: My S&W F-Comp
For a nostalgic carry gun: I have a tie between the Colt Det. Spl. (I've recently changed to a newer version in stainless - the SF-VI) and a 1930s Colt-manufactured, Argentine-contract 1911 with Ivory stocks (another good inheritance from Dad).

For a hunting rifle: Montana M1999 in 30-06 semi-custom
For an "assault rifle": My Sig 556, although I'd prefer it was in 6.8 SPC. (I also have AKs and ARs in 223, and an AK in 7.62x39, so whatever ammo I can find, I have a reliable rifle and mags to shoot with, in case of a "Red Dawn" scenario... :twisted: )
For a "Kill Anything" rifle (combines all rifle categories): One of my M-1 Garands. My nicest one of these would be my last rifle to go out the door. (God forbid!)
For a "fits in/looks innocuous, but fantastic killing rifle": My Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum.

For a 22 handgun, I love the Ruger Single Six.
For a 22 rifle, my first ever firearm would be my pick - My Marlin 39A.

Whew, I'm sweating just thinking of these being the only ones I'd have... Maybe my wife's right and I do have a problem...... :(

Randall
02-15-2009, 05:16 PM
My handgun that is almost always with me is S&W 1911 .45 aluminum frame commander length barrel.Next would be a 2"1/2 model 66.
My favorite rifle is a Springfield armory M1A .308,next is MARLIN MODEL 39.
Never cared for shotguns,got tired of pellets in the meat.

JSnover
02-15-2009, 05:18 PM
My go-to handgun is a 1911.
Go-to shotgun is an old Hi Standard pump 12 gage; 20" barrel, 5+1 capacity with a .25" rear aperture sight and a bright orange bead on the front. Getting on target is fast with that setup.
Go-to rifle is an FN-FAL with a Bushnell HoloSight.

NoDakJak
02-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Pistol: Colt Police Positive Special 4" 38 Spcl Light, handy and with 358429 backed with ten grains of 2400 it will handle anything either two or four legged that I am liable to encounter in this area.
Rifle: Custom Sako 250-3000 This is my Meat maker. I have taken more deer and antelope with rifle than all others combined. It is also my most accurate cast boolit shooter.
Shotgun: Ithica 37 20 gauge Full Choke A present from my father almost forty years ago.
Neil

Bret4207
02-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Tough choice because "go to" means different things to different folks. So I'm thinking less TEOTWAWKI and more "Aw crap, here we go...".

Pistol- S+W 4" M-19- works in any all situations as long as the ammo holds out. Maybe it's not as fast to reload as a 45 or Wonder 9, but I can and have hit dog size targets (ccoyotes) at 200+ yards ( not often, but I did it). It's not horribly hard to conceal either.

Shotgun- I only have one that I own, my boy has others. Ithaca M-37 16 gauge, works for anything I'm likely to encounter. Not a combat shotty, but it'll work.

Rifle- Ooooh, tough one. Either my Swede, my '93 Mauser 7x57 or my FR-8 308. Any of the above are more "Aw crap..." and less hunting/target shooting.

Heavy lead
02-15-2009, 06:54 PM
I hate to admit this, but when "go time" came, I'd probably be unarmed, too many choices, I just couldn't decide. I'd have to use my pocket knife.[smilie=1:

Dan Cash
02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Rifle for absolutely have to make it dead: Mod. 70 Win in .30-06
Pistol for all occasions: M1911 with no bells or whistles, just a good barrel and good mags
Shotgun: Winchester 101 English stocked 20 ga.

I am too old and beat up to go to war or to run away so I would just have to stand and fight.

PS. My wife would raise cain with all the battle rifles

jhrosier
02-15-2009, 07:39 PM
I am too old and beat up to go to war or to run away so I would just have to stand and fight....

You will be in good company.
There are many of us who have been pushed too long and hard, and prodded just about once too often.
One more good poke and we just might dig our heels in and refuse to be herded.:drinks:

Jack

SharpsShooter
02-15-2009, 07:56 PM

Cause most of us are too damn old to fool with new-fangled needle shooters.

Pistol - Ruger 45 BH
Shotgun - Don't own one.
Rifle - 98 Krag Sporter for 200yds and under, the sharps for beyond.

SS

BruceB
02-15-2009, 08:12 PM
A very interesting thread.

At my age, and with my less-than-co-operative political frame of mind, the guns will be not so much "go to", as they will be "come and get me, finks!" guns. I note with considerable pleasure that I'm far from alone in this stance.

Soooo....not having to actually move the artillery very far, maybe a matter of a few yards, I'm pretty much free to select items for my immediate environment, which allows a level field of fire for several hundred yards in most directions.

My #1 rifle without question is the UN-scoped Springfield M1A. I HAVE to try that 130-grain hollowpoint mentioned above....one hit with that and it's either the emergency room NOW, or lilies, tears and organ music. I have faith in the rifle's functioning and the cartridge's utility. It'll take out vehicles as easily as it does crooks. A few assorted "specialty" rounds for rare situations, and I'm in good shape. I like placing a couple of tracers near the bottom of each magazine to warn that the supply is getting low.

The rifle is my fighting tool. I can certainly see having a good accurate scoped varminter as an understudy to the M1A, for which job my .220 Swift will shine, but the M1A is the big medicine. Handguns serve to fight our way to the rifle, and mine will likely be the SIG 220 in .45. It's a decent hide-out gun, too. A good shotgun in the house will defend those premises nicely...ANOTHER 12-gauge Ithaca 37, loaded with Winchester #4 buckshot. My fighting, God forbid it should be necessary, will done outside if at all possible.

Incidentally, even today I often leave the place via the back door when there's an unexpected knock at the front. Particularly after dark, this gives me an enormous tactical edge. (I don't go empty-handed, if I need to say it.)

It's rather unfortunate that we find this topic worthy of discussion. However, I will state that it's a heck of a lot better to think about eventualities before they occur, rather than try catching-up after the train has already left the station.

Kuato
02-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Ok, I'll bite..

2 scenarios of go to: SHTF & Survival..

SHTF:
Handgun, my Sig 220 .45 ACP
Shotgun, Mossberg 500 12ga Persuader 20" 8 shot
Rifle, AK47 or AK74
SURVIVAL:
Handgun, Dan Wesson 744 .44 Rem Mag
Shotgun, Mossberg/NewHaven 600AT (C-Lect choke) 12ga 28"
Rifle, Howa 1500 Lightning .338 Win Mag (225grn JSP @ 3000 fps) or Remington 700 ADL 7MM Rem Mag..

I have lots of ammo for all the guns listed above.

9.3X62AL
02-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Handgun--toss up between S&W M-686 x 4" or CZ-75B in 40 S&W.

Shotgun--Rem 870 12 gauge, w/ext. mag tube and 20" rifle sighted barrel.

Rifle--toss up between Ruger Mini-14 and Win 94 x 30-30.

longhorn
02-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Wow, interesting replies. I'm thinking more of "go to" as one of those off-the-cuff hunting invitations.......Remington 870 Magnum 12 with 26" VR/Remchoke barrel is the shotgun, a snubby Super Redhawk in .454 is the sixgun, and I suppose the M-S 1952 carbine in .308 for the rifle, although the tweaked M70 in .375 is a contender. Defense scenarios would probably prompt some different choices, but the SRH is almost always within reach.....

Kraschenbirn
02-15-2009, 09:47 PM
If it got down to making a choice, I'd have to go with the "old reliables" I've lived with so long that they're pretty much second nature to me.

Handgun: 1911 in .45 ACP - probably my Series 70 Lightweight Commander.

Shotgun: Winchester M-12 12-gauge that my father gave me when I was 16 (he bought it, new, in 1938).

Rifle: Kind of a toss-up; either my Remington 700BDL in .243 Win. or my DCM Garand.

Bill

Suo Gan
02-16-2009, 04:19 AM
Nightstand: S&W 629 6"
Carry: Radom 9mm
Working Outside: A Hi Standard Sport King and a Ruger 10-22 or Mossberg 935
General Hunting: Ruger M77 in 257 Roberts with 3x9 scope
Woods Hunting: Marlin 336 30-30

The number one "Go To" would have to be a 22lr rifle, most likely a 10-22. I don't know if there has been a day since I was 10 that I have not used one.

missionary5155
02-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Good morning
Here down SOUTH things are limited.
Revolver: S&W #19 .357 mag 3.5 " barrel
Shotgun: Mossy 500 18" Cylinder or 28 " Modified
Rifle: 1892 Winny 44-40 SRC
Mike God Bless you

Houndog
02-16-2009, 07:11 AM
My go to Pistol is a Smith model 19 with a 4" barrell. I've had it about 35 years and it's almost like a part of me when I go to the woods
For a rifle, it has to be my custom Remington in 222. It's killed about everything there is to shoot in my neck of the woods at one time or another. It's extremely accurate, relitively quiet as centerfire rifles go, and EASY on reloadfing components.
For a Shotgun, it has to be my Fox Sterlingworth side by side in 12 guage. I've owned it since my 14th birthday and never found anything better for an all around scattergun

dmftoy1
02-16-2009, 07:53 AM
It's funny because when I read the title I thought of a bunch of guns that I consider my goto guns. (Kimber 1911, Springfield XD45 and M1A)

BUT . . . when it really comes down to me needing to do some work around this place I only ever grab one gun and it's an 870 marine magnum. I use it for deer hunting because slug guns are all you can use in Illinois, and when there's a pack of coyotes hanging around outside I grab it, when I need to scare off the herd of the neighbor's horses when they're tearing up my yard I grab it.

It's by no means my favorite gun . ..but it's always the one I grab . . .never been able to explain why. . .

MT Gianni
02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Rifle would be the BLR in 308, Shotgun the Mossberg 500 12 gauge cause the others are single shot. It would be hard to nail down a pistol, K-38 for accuracy, Ruger mark I 22 is handy, 44 Redhawk gets it done and Kimber 45 slightly over the CZ 75 if I went to war.

Big Boomer
02-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Rifle: Remington 788 in .223. Grabbed it March of '08 to nail a couple of coyotes preventing a cow that had just dropped a calf from joining the rest of the herd in a barn to get out of the cold rain and wind. Loaded hot with a Nosler 52 grain jhp match bullet, I dropped the first 'yote at about 200 yds. The 2nd ran off but stopped to take a look back and I dropped it at about 250 yds. All within about 10 seconds or so. Bold, them 'yotes. I shot them out the back window of our house at about 11 a. m. Also use it to thin out the local groundhog population. A Ruger Mini-14 (with lots of long magazines and an ample supply of ammo) is kept in case a need should arise, about which I hear more and more talk.
Handgun for hunting: Ruger .45 Bisley transformed into a 5-shooter by Hamilton Bowen. I shoot a 340 gr. LBT WLNGC at 1400 fps. A shoulder-shot deer will swap ends and drop. Nose on that bullet is LARGE!
Concealed Carry: Generally, a Ruger P90 in .45 ACP, or a S&W M37LW .38 Special for concealment. Loaded the .38 alloy frame revolver weighs less than the ordnance model unloaded. Liking selection, I also enjoy a Dan Wesson Pointeman and a Chas. Daly s/s, both in .45 ACP.
Larger Rifle caliber: Winchester M670 in .30-06. Has a terrible trigger pull but if I concentrate on holding it steady, it is accurate to 'way out there.
Never cared much for shotguns, though they are deadly. 'Tuck

sundog
02-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Tuck, interesting choice for a sidearm, the P90. I had one years ago and it would absolutely digest ANY decent load run thru it. Very dependable, but not the most accurate. But for close quarters work, it was okay, expecially the depenbility of feed and function.

Big Boomer
02-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Sundog: My particular P90 is very accurate. So is one my son has. Of course, I carry only factory ammo (Speer personal defense stuff). But even that is very accurate. A handload that I like is a 180 grain jhp loaded a little hot. It does very well, even off at a distance. I've shot groundhogs with it. 'Tuck

AlaskaMike
02-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Pistol: Either my 1911 or my S&W model 29 4"
Shotgun: Remington 870. Beat to heck but absolutely reliable
Rifle:Either my Rossi 92 in .44 mag., my sporterized '03A3, or my Ruger M77 in .375 H&H, depending on the need

SPRINGFIELDM141972
02-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Pistol: Colt 1911 A1
Rifle: Springfield M1A
Shotgun: Model 11 Remington (Browning A-5 style) in 12 gauge. Loaded with #1 buck.

.45Cole
02-16-2009, 05:56 PM
I usually don't get into these things but there seems to be lots of the same guns popping up.
Pistol- Ruger 7.5" .45 BH
Rifle- 1894 Marlin 24" .45
Shotgun- Brothers Moss 88 12ga
Beings that these are the guns that I would do just about anything with (I don't shoot shotguns all that well so it's important that I can ditch it if it's too heavy:-D)
All round hurry let's go----10/22 ruger

mike in co
02-16-2009, 06:28 PM
i do not "hunt", so these are for other situations....
pistol: i have a cz97b...45acp 10 rds, plenty of mags....lol even legal in kalifornicating state.... alternate is my cz85 in 9x21....135's at "nice velocities".....ok i can easily do 1300 fps. 25+1 rounds.

shotgun moss 590 8 plus one with 9 more on the stock

rifle.....ar 10t......20 and 25 rd mags....24" bbl, i can hit the 600 yd x ring prone...(moa).
lots of various ammo as discussed by others. try the hornady 130 spire point. hits the lands from mag length ammo and shoots sub moa.

i agree lots of other rifles are good choice, but limited fire power.. most of my mil surplus scoped rifles will work at longer distances than production ar15's.

9.3X62AL
02-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I wasn't thinking "When the balloon goes up"--I was thinking "what do I grab when I head out into the backcountry most of the time?"

Charlie Sometimes
02-17-2009, 12:14 AM
EOWAWKI scenerio-
2 Ruger Blackhawk, 4 1/2 inch barrel, 45LC/45 ACP
1st rifle- Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, 22 LR, with 2-10x44mm scope, and open sights
2nd rifle- Winchester Model 70 Featherweight,laminated stock, 30-06, 3-9x40mm
Remington 870 Express Magnum- synthetic stock, 21 inch barrel, Rem Choked

All with slings and holsters.

Curly James
02-17-2009, 12:52 AM
The handgun would be my 4 inch 686. It was my first duty gun in 1985 and lives in the nightstand drawer. Very comforting to have in your hand when unexpected things happen.

Shotgun would be my poor old beat up Remmy 870. Peep sights, extended tube, w/ a 20 inch barrel. Been dragging it around since the 80s also.

Rifle, either a Mini 14 or a bubbaed SMLE I picked up and finished the bubba job, turning it into one of the handier rifles I own. There ain't much (if anything)
in the Southeastern US that a 303 won't handle.

As for a a rimfire, I would have to grab the 10-22. I don't think you can make that thing stop working. My daughters and I have tried with no success. When the girls were young we would to to the club with a 500 round box of ammo and several 10 and 30 round mags. They would not stop until they used up the box and my thumbs were sore from loading the mags. It was also the rifle I left loaded with a 30 rd mag when the girls were teens and going to be home alone. I had taught them the value of several well placed 22 hollowpoints. So, I guess that really qualifies it to be a go to gun.

If you look at our choices, they all seem to be guns we've had for quite some time, have been with us when we used a gun successfully (for whatever need), and are comforting to us when we pick them up.

Boerrancher
02-17-2009, 09:52 AM
If you look at our choices, they all seem to be guns we've had for quite some time, have been with us when we used a gun successfully (for whatever need), and are comforting to us when we pick them up.

I often think about what my Dad's good friend and my casting mentor once told me about guns, he had lots of them but there was only a small few that he would take to the woods. I can't remember the quote exactly, but it went something like this,"a good gun is like a good woman, when you start messing around with others, you never get to know any of them real well, you loose touch with the one you bonded with, and it does nothing but mess with your head and cause confusion." Over the years I have noticed that when I get away from the firearms that I carry on a daily basis, I just don't feel as comfortable with my ability to utilize them to their full potential.

This is not to say that some of the guns I leave at home are not good shooters, most of them are much better shooters than the old Winchester lever guns I pack around. I just know that I feel better with my 92 45LC, than I do my custom 6mm-06 or my custom 6mm-284, and both of those rifles fit me well and shoot like a dream. I have killed more ground hogs and prairie dogs with those two rifles than I can count, but they are not my mod 92, or my Marlin 1894c in 357mag that I grew up packing as a kid. I like the 92 better because it is lighter and the 45LC packs a bit more punch than the 357 with hand loads.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

dukenukum
02-18-2009, 09:57 PM
for a pistol : HI_POINT jhp .45 automatic
Shot gun : Ithaca model 37
for a rifle : either my O3 A3 or my #5 s.m.l.e .303 British

part_timer
02-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Pistol_ Dan wesson 357 with 6' bbl
Shotgun_ rem 870
Rifle_ browning varminter in .204

depends on what "go to" means.

Riverrat
02-18-2009, 10:40 PM
An interesting question!! I don't think I can limit myself to just three. For the pistol I would want a 1911 and my 6" Colt Python(a gift from my brother many years ago). For the shotgun I will take my Beretta Extrema II. The rifle would be an M-1 and/or a Mod. 70 in .270 Win.

Ed

BOOM BOOM
02-19-2009, 12:21 AM
HI,
PISTOL RUGER Rh-44 7/12"
RIFLE MY P.O.ACKLEY 7MM/06
SHOTGUN REM. 870 12GU.
TAKE CARE OF ANY THING IN USA
AND JUST FUN TO SHOOT.

02-19-2009, 01:09 AM
No way no how to best answer but:

Handgun- Colt DE 45 ACP (close tie with Glock)
Shotgun- Beretta O/U 12 ga
Rifle- Win M70 270

shdwlkr
02-19-2009, 12:43 PM
HAND GUN
would be either my 45 auto, 38 super or 9mm depending on which I grabbed first. why because if you are a baddie I want you to know I mean to mess up your day or die trying
RIFLE
would be my .375 winchester, 45-70 or one of my 30wcf again depends on which I grab first. Why because I want to make it very plain you picked the wrong place at the wrong time.
SHOTGUN
one of my ithaca shotguns most likely my home defense model if I can get my hands on one with double 00 buckshot to mess up your plans.
This is if it is a shtf deal otherwise I would pick what seemed fun to shoot at the time.
I hope I never have to go this route but if I do I will do my best to make it a mistake for those who thought I was an easy mark.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-20-2009, 03:48 AM
Go to for :
1911 Colt Combat Commander .45ACP personal protection
S&W 29 44mag walking in the woods/fishing/hunting
Rem 870 Home def.
M1A 308 just because
44, 30/30, 45/70, 338 hunting

S.L.

Ivantherussian03
02-20-2009, 03:59 AM
1911 Officers Edition Colt 45ACP--ENOUGH SAID--

Leadforbrains
02-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Armalite AR10
Benneli M1
Sig P226 .40

scb
02-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Benjamin HB17
Crosman 1100 Trapmaster Shotgun
Daisy Red Ryder

This is the thread Junior thinks the NSA's watching , right? :oops: No.

STG 58
Glock 20
Ithaca 37

looseprojectile
02-21-2009, 04:19 PM
I read it here on this forum.
Paraphrased; Amateurs practice till they get it right, Proffessionals practice till they can't get it wrong.
I will stick with the 20 inch barreled AR 15 with two forty shot mags to start with and a bag of other full mags. This needle shooter has a Burris 3 to 9 mil dot. I figure head shots to four dots.
When it comes time to repell boarders the Para Ord 16 shot .45 ought to enable me to get to the rifle. Lately been carrying the Taurus PT 145 Pro. Shoots good feels good. And cheap to buy.
Shotgun is an 870 TB Remington, always can break 23 or 24 with it.
Also like the 10 22 Ruger and the Rossi .357 carbine. The model 28 S&W 6" is a sweet shooter.
When something goes bump in the night the S&W .357 is the one. It is sllent to get into action. I do the exit out the back door, at the knock on the front door thing. I am probably paranoid but who knows?
PS, It's hard to miss with the M1 Garand.
Life is good

Ed Barrett
02-22-2009, 08:40 AM
For a pistol; My S&W combat masterpiece. I've been shooting it about 40 years and it knows how to hit better than me.
For a shotgun; Winchester 1300 XTR
For a rifle; a 92 Puma clone in 454 casull can be loaded down to small game loads or up to 45/70 range, very accurate with them all. For long range I have a custom 1909 Argentine with a 8-24 scope that's good on 4" targets out to 300 yds and mansized much more.

JSnover
02-22-2009, 09:15 AM
I wasn't thinking "When the balloon goes up"--I was thinking "what do I grab when I head out into the backcountry most of the time?"

Most of my backcountry was heavy brush or low, swampy areas. I don't get out there much anymore but the shotgun was best for me. Max visibility was 75 yards and the HiStandard pump was light, short and not much to look at. Didn't matter if it got scratched up a little.

Ron in PA
02-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Pistol 1991 .45 ACP, LCP .380. Rifle M1 Carbine. Shotgun 11-87 12 ga.

Gerry N.
02-26-2009, 03:55 AM
When I hear "Go-To" I think load the camper, call my dog and head into the hills.

In that case my go-to pistol is an old Hawes Western Rancher .22 made in Germany of pot metal and spring steel stampings, it shoots pretty much any .22 LR pretty much to minute of Necco Wafer out to 20 yds or so. I have a Paco Kelly "Nasty-Nose" tool to hollow point the .22 shells I use for possums and snakes. It's nearly criminal what a nasty nosed LR will do to a possum, nutria, or feral cat.

My "shotgun" is a .45 caliber T-C Seneca I had bored to .50 smooth because the bore was so pitted it tore patches to shreds. It will put .480" patched roundballs into 4" at 50 yds, and gives a 30% pattern of 5/8 Oz loads of #4 at 30 yds. Good enough for grouse and rabbits.

Go-to rifle(s) are an Armalite .22 survival rifle that lives in the camper and a M1912/61 Chilean Mauser the Chilenos rebarreled to 7.62x51mm in the early 60's. That rifle is more fun than anyone should have, and its reconfigured 2-groove Springfield barrel handles cast bullets quite nicely. I have an adaptor cartridge chambered for .30 Carbine so I can shoot quieter and cheaper. Again, about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Gerry N.