PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of renting, or buying a 45/70 finish reamer, need some feedback.

koger
11-21-2023, 02:21 PM
I have several 45/70s at last count over a dozen, mostly Remington rollers. Several of these have been rebarreled over the years, and have great bores, but very short throats, with riflling starting 1/4" in front of the case mouth. It makes it hard to correctly seat and shoot anything but the shorter 300-350 gr cast slugs, and most of my shooting for longer range, out to 700 yds, is with 405 or 500, and 550 gr postells. Anybody have any experience with this, was thinking I could get a finish reamer with a longer taper on the throat and do it by hand, I have hand finish reamed several bolt actions with barrels that required that, and usually 4-5 complete turns is all it takes. Any recomendations on where to buy/rent a reamer is appreciated.

DougGuy
11-21-2023, 02:38 PM
Call Keith Rice, White Rock Tool & Die 816-454-0478 see if he has a rental you can get.

If you don't need to ream the actual chamber, all you would need is a throater, add some freebore and push the leade ins back ever how much you push the reamer forward. I would call Manson and ask them for an opinion, it would help if you know your barrel dimensions, diameter of the lands, the actual bore diameter would be important to know, as you would want a securely fitting pilot bushing, and yes this would be a removable pilot reamer, you get one pilot when you buy the reamer, you can ask for any others they run about $12 or so.

I will advise against a solid pilot reamer, as they are generally a few thousandths below bore diameter so they will fit in any rifle or pistol barrel. You want the snuggest pilot you can fit in the bore, that is the only real insurance you have as to concentricity of the throat to the bore. Very important.

koger
11-21-2023, 09:43 PM
Call Keith Rice, White Rock Tool & Die 816-454-0478 see if he has a rental you can get.

If you don't need to ream the actual chamber, all you would need is a throater, add some freebore and push the leade ins back ever how much you push the reamer forward. I would call Manson and ask them for an opinion, it would help if you know your barrel dimensions, diameter of the lands, the actual bore diameter would be important to know, as you would want a securely fitting pilot bushing, and yes this would be a removable pilot reamer, you get one pilot when you buy the reamer, you can ask for any others they run about $12 or so.

I will advise against a solid pilot reamer, as they are generally a few thousandths below bore diameter so they will fit in any rifle or pistol barrel. You want the snuggest pilot you can fit in the bore, that is the only real insurance you have as to concentricity of the throat to the bore. Very important.

Thanks, that is what i meant, my pore brain does not say what i mean often, after 3 strokes in one day 6 years ago today. Thanks for the info, will give him a call tomorrow or monday.

marlinman93
11-21-2023, 10:14 PM
I would contact Manson Reamers. They likely wont have a rental, but their reamers are the finest around.

zymguy
11-21-2023, 10:36 PM
4d rentals will rent finish reamers and throat reamers .

M-Tecs
11-21-2023, 11:21 PM
I've only rented a couple of times with less than stellar results. I've found its far more cost effective to purchase and then sell on eBay verse renting.

DougGuy is correct you need a removable pilot throater.

tbx-4
11-25-2023, 10:32 PM
If you still need a 45-70 finish reamer, I have one I could sell, $125 shipped.
It is in excellent condition.
Bought for a project a couple years ago and used only once on a Trapdoor barrel.
Bought it from Pacific Tool and Gauge. Here is a link to their website https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/cip-spec-centerfire-rifle-reamers-nopix-/5881-45-70-govt-cip-chamber-reamer.html

https://i.imgur.com/BMG11gt.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7lAc1Gs.jpg

John Taylor
11-27-2023, 08:08 PM
You can get throat reamer for less money than a chamber reamer.