PDA

View Full Version : Question on Mold Handles

William Yanda
11-21-2023, 06:42 AM
I recently acquired an Ideal .22 mold from a member here. Searching for handles, I thought, Why pay $35 for handles when for a little more I can get handles and mold. I struck a deal on Fleabay and they arrived yesterday. The wood is slimmer than commonly seen Lyman handles and there is a neck, over an inch long, extending from the joint to where the wood attaches.
I think it is a useful alternative, we have all seen charred Lyman wood grips. I have large hands so it is not a deterrent in that respect.
Can anyone inform me of the source, or history of this style? It it a rare early model or produced by someone else altogether?
Respectfully,
Bill

HamGunner
11-21-2023, 12:37 PM
I have a set of Lyman handles that sound to be similar. They have the narrow thin wooden handles and when closed, they almost touch. They fit double cavity molds. I think they were the first handles that I bought and that was 50 years ago, so likely older style.

Rickf1985
11-21-2023, 05:12 PM
Try Again, first post did not go through. I have been toying with the idea of making my own handles out of old chair rails and copper pipe for the ferrules. I think it could look pretty nice if finished correctly. For me rough sanding is good enough for me. I am all about function over form.

dsh1106
11-21-2023, 05:14 PM
I recently acquired an Ideal .22 mold from a member here. Searching for handles, I thought, Why pay $35 for handles when for a little more I can get handles and mold. I struck a deal on Fleabay and they arrived yesterday. The wood is slimmer than commonly seen Lyman handles and there is a neck, over an inch long, extending from the joint to where the wood attaches.
I think it is a useful alternative, we have all seen charred Lyman wood grips. I have large hands so it is not a deterrent in that respect.
Can anyone inform me of the source, or history of this style? It it a rare early model or produced by someone else altogether?
Respectfully,
Bill

Hi Bill
The older style handles had smaller diameter wood for handles.

If you look ay FS ad you will see that most of the wood on the handles is small diameter, there are one or two sets that have the lager diameter wood handles.

Scott