PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 25 acp

Moon1951
11-19-2023, 01:10 AM
I usually load 9mm, but I have a Baretta 950 BS, 25 acp I am starting to reload for. I have a 1000 brass and bullets to load. ( I know, why, 5hey are so small... I can load them for half the cost of buying factory ammo.) And, I don't find it any more difficult than 9 mm.
The bullet selection is pretty scarce, but I got a good deal on PPU privi partisan, 50 grain, full metal jacket bullets. The only load data I could find was in the Lee manual. My question is about the CAOL. The 50 grain factory ammo I have is .900 CAOL. The lee manual lists the minimum CAOL at .870. To get my roads to pass the plunk test, I have to seat at .860 COAL. After some study ( and it was hard to see) the difference is the 50 grain bullets I purchased have a different ogive. I have to seat to no more than .860 to get them to chamber. I am wondering if this is okay. I have loaded 20 test rounds but have n9t gone to the range yet. I am going to test them through my chrono for velocity. I just wonder about the CAOL.

MARK

sigep1764
11-19-2023, 01:35 AM
Just start at the bottom of the load data, maybe a tenth of a grain less than the minimum and work up to functioning and accuracy. I have to load my 9mm short and use 2.8 grains of Red Dot which is a start load in some books. If I go up to 3 grains, I get flattened primers.

Harter66
11-19-2023, 08:48 AM
My rules for autos .
Make it fit the mag .
Make it fit the chamber it fitting the mag doesn't.
Start at a minimum charge work up to clean function weak side plus 1 step or to max whichever comes first .

This allows for a lot of wiggle room .
The fat ogive means you have more of the bullets in the base than the nose or a fat nose . If it's a fat nose the OAL isn't a big deal . When the fat nose is less than 180° hemisphere it is adding to the shank length as long as it's longer than 180° it's still weight forward of the case mouth not shank in the case .

Rapidrob
11-20-2023, 10:49 PM
I found the 50 grain FMJ cannot be beat for feeding,accuracy and penetration. In my 1910 Mauser and my altitude I can get right at 1,000 FPS in the Mauser's longer barrel.
Accuracy is very good and cycling is 100%. No pressure signs. I've won my clubs rapid-fire match using it.
The little cartridge is under rated and was very popular in the early 1900's for CCW.
https://www.brassfetcher.com/Handguns/25%20ACP/25%20ACP%20Slow%20Motion%20Videos.html