PDA

View Full Version : anneal new brass?

rp85
11-18-2023, 09:50 AM
good morning:

Have 80 new Winchester 375h&h, virgin brass. Plan is to size then trim cases. Should I even consider annealing cases before\ after sizing? Normally I anneal cases after firing 2x. thanks for any input.

BK7saum
11-18-2023, 10:01 AM
Unless you know for a fact that they were not annealed properly from the mabufacturer (history of necks cracking on first firing, etc) I wouldn't bother.

On other hand, it won't harm anything to anneal them properly.

I would not.

I also do not trim until after the full lenth resize after first firing as long as they are in spec.

Winger Ed.
11-18-2023, 10:18 AM
Unless you know for a fact that they were not annealed properly from the mabufacturer (history of necks cracking on first firing, etc) I wouldn't bother.

On other hand, it won't harm anything to anneal them properly.

I would not.

I also do not trim until after the full lenth resize after first firing as long as they are in spec.

^^^^ this ^^^^

Don't make extra work for yourself.
There's plenty of people more than glad to do that for you.

45_Colt
11-18-2023, 11:57 AM
It can't hurt to anneal them first. Without knowing the current state of the brass, it may end up preventing neck cracks on the first firing. On top of that, it won't take long to anneal 80 cases.

So anneal, full length size, check case length. Trim if required.

45_Colt

jsizemore
11-18-2023, 01:55 PM
What do the feel like when you size them the first time. Do they yield easily when sized down and does the expander come out easily? If easy then I don't. Feels like I'm crunching, then absolutely.