PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Most Funnest .22 Rifle?

Ithaca Gunner
11-16-2023, 03:56 PM
If it's the one that always brings a smile when in your hands, that's the one. Maybe or not the most accurate, or the highest priced .22 you own. Might not be the best looki'n or that prized collector's piece or family heirloom. I mean the funnest shooter, the one that's the favorite gun to relax with and just shoot that always satisfies, hit or miss. And why.

Currently mine is this old 1940 born Remington 121 ''Fieldmaster''. I almost didn't buy this one. It was beside a Remington 581 that I had been looking for for over a year. The dealer thought that when I ask to see the Remington .22 that I meant the 121 which he was going to hand me. I corrected him and was about to make an offer on the 581 when he sweetened the deal offering a $!00. discount if I bought both. Done deal. I planned on making some money on the 121 getting it at $250. below going price. That was until I got to know it a little and shot it. I had always liked the Remington Model 12 and it's offspring, the 121, but never owned one. The first ''cool'' factor is the way the inner tube magazine latches into the outer. Not a silly twist nub in a ''J'' shape groove, but a spring loaded hook that simply snaps down into a cut-out. Quick and easy, much easier than any other .22 tube magazine araingement I've ever used. Secondly, the skinny little rifle snaps right up to my shoulder presenting it's sights almost like a well fitted small gauge shotgun when shooting off the hind quarters off hand. Thirdly, I shot it into a paper target at 25yds, it was on, and from there I began plinking at small pieces of shale on the backstop 60+ yds away destroying them with ease getting a better shot to hit ratio than with my Marlin 39A which has a 4X scope.

My ''funnest'' shooter.

https://i.imgur.com/E5NHV2vh.jpg

txbirdman
11-16-2023, 04:18 PM
I bought a model 12 from a coworker for $120 several years ago and gave it to my son who collects old winchester .22’s. Told him I wanted him to have a superior design. Lol
Actually I love them all. I do think the Remington design was superior for the time period though.

Lloyd Smale
11-16-2023, 04:35 PM
smith ar22 braced pistol hands down. nwish they didnt cave to the left and quit making them because i need another one

Scorpion8
11-16-2023, 05:03 PM
1972 Ithaca Model 72 Saddlegun. Second rifle I ever purchased as a young'un with my own money (teenager could do that back then) and every shot still pulls up memories. More fun than a Dixie cup in the bathtub for a toddler.

schutzen-jager
11-16-2023, 05:11 PM
512 receiver + barrel - 521 internals + stock - 513 bolt

elmacgyver0
11-16-2023, 05:24 PM
A .22 Little Scout made by Stevens bought non-working, it had a barrel that did not belong on it unchambered.
With a lot of work and experimentation I made the barrel work, not to mention making all the springs and guides for the receiver.
It works now and shoots CCI quiet ammunition and it sports a red dot sight and the barrel is threaded for suppressor use.
Now how much funnier can you get than that?

35 Rem
11-16-2023, 05:34 PM
Mine would be my Remington 552 semi-auto. I also got it in a double deal where a wholesaler was offering free shipping if you bought two Remington long guns together. I got the 552 along with one of the old wood stocked Model 700 ADLs. This was in 1990.

The 552 is so slim and easy to carry and shoot. I bought an electric powered shooting gallery from Caldwell in December 2012 and this is the rifle I like to use it with. Those little targets keep popping up no matter how many you shoot. It's great being a grown up because you can buy all the toys you dreamt of when a kid.

ShooterAZ
11-16-2023, 05:37 PM
My favorite is a Winchester Model 62A that I inherited from an Uncle after he passed away. It's a great little shooter, and a family heirloom to boot. The kids and grandkids all enjoyed shooting that rifle, it's one I would never get rid of.

atfsux
11-16-2023, 05:55 PM
I bought a simple Romanian M69 trainer at a gun show in Glendale about 15 years ago that some local dude had refinished the stock with a glossy urethane of some sort and mounted an old basic Weaver 4X scope. I think I paid $125 for it. It has been the most dead nuts spot on accurate .22 I have ever owned. It's just a joy to take out and blast with because it is so boringly accurate. My only lament was that it only came with 1 magazine. And I was exceedingly bummed out a couple months ago when I misplaced that single magazine. Fortunately, Csspecs now makes replacement clone mags for it, so I bought a few, and now I'm happily back in action.

marvelshooter
11-16-2023, 06:09 PM
An old Mossberg 144 that I stuck a half decent 4-12x scope on.

Ithaca Gunner
11-16-2023, 06:10 PM
1972 Ithaca Model 72 Saddlegun. Second rifle I ever purchased as a young'un with my own money (teenager could do that back then) and every shot still pulls up memories. More fun than a Dixie cup in the bathtub for a toddler.

My brother bought one of those about the same time from, ''Joe-The Motorist Friend''. He sold it some years later. He wishes he kept it now!

cheggie
11-16-2023, 06:16 PM
I have a Marlin 981T that is a tack driver. I should have kept looking for one with a wood stock, but this one has been nice all the same. Nicest shooting .22 I have, and it goes forever with the tube magazine.

Winger Ed.
11-16-2023, 06:18 PM
I had a Marlin 39 that got away about 20 years ago that I really liked,
but the Henry Golden Boy I have now is hard to beat.

Ithaca Gunner
11-16-2023, 06:21 PM
My favorite is a Winchester Model 62A that I inherited from an Uncle after he passed away. It's a great little shooter, and a family heirloom to boot. The kids and grandkids all enjoyed shooting that rifle, it's one I would never get rid of.

I had one of those once, wish I woulda kept it. They are fun little rifles! I do have a Rossi 62C I use as a rat/mouse gun with birdshot and a small flashlight taped to the barrel. Like it's Winchester predecessor, it can slam-fire quite nicely.

Hannibal
11-16-2023, 06:30 PM
I've been around and shot many Stevens model 87 'Gill guns'. Not the best by any means and they'll beat a scope to pieces but I still like them for the memories and nostalgia.

Ithaca Gunner
11-16-2023, 06:46 PM
I've been around and shot many Stevens model 87 'Gill guns'. Not the best by any means and they'll beat a scope to pieces but I still like them for the memories and nostalgia.

Klick-Klack rifle!

Sasquatch-1
11-16-2023, 08:05 PM
The first really successful plastic gun, my Nylon 66 in Apache Black.

Hannibal
11-16-2023, 08:18 PM
Klick-Klack rifle!

Yep! Exactly right. It's amusing to me to shoot one because of that very thing.

Mk42gunner
11-16-2023, 09:08 PM
I guess mine would be the Savage-Springfield Model 120A that I got for Christmas in 1974, I was ten.

I have no idea how many rounds of .22 Short and Long Rifle (very few if any Longs) have went through that $33 rifle, but if I had a nickel for each I could probably buy a newish pickup. I don't shoot it lot anymore, but I do make sure it gets to speak to a target on Christmas.

I've had some of the guns listed and while they were all fun, that simple little manual cocking single shot is still the funnest gun I have ever shot.

Robert

Minerat
11-16-2023, 09:49 PM
Mine is a Taurus M62 carbine stainless. It is just a fun gun to shoot and accurate too. What makes it fun...is it will slamfires like a Win Model 12 shotgun. It only shoots long rifles but you can go thru 12 rounds just as fast as you can pump it. It breaks down so is small enough to go in a day pack or an atv saddle bag for easy transport when roaming the hills or woods.

35 Rem
11-16-2023, 11:08 PM
Another 22 I have that would be a close 2nd for fun is a Winchester model 77 semi-auto that my Father bought new in the late 1950's. It's the 22 version of the centerfire model 100. It's the gun I started hunting groundhogs with on the farm that kicked off my fascination with 22 centerfire varmint rifles.

This is not my rifle but it's just like it!

Texas by God
11-17-2023, 12:01 AM
My .22 rifle “collection” is small- and all Remington!
Just the way things worked out, I guess.
The 581-S is accurate like a “Baby 788”,
Mine and my late Dad’s Nylon 66’s are amazing,
But the 510 single shot is “funnest”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie Southgate
11-17-2023, 12:29 AM
Winchester model 63. My upgrade from the '03 after they quit making ammo for them.

11-17-2023, 01:28 AM
My first rifle; Win 69A. It was Dad's rifle and he taught me the basics with it. As a kid, I'd collect bottles on the roadside and once a week I'd go to the hardware store and buy 1 box of .22's. Such a great memory. Can you imagine a kid today being able to walk into a hardware store and buy ammo?

Tracy
11-17-2023, 01:57 AM
Marlin 39A Mountie.

Bad Ass Wallace
11-17-2023, 03:44 AM
Favourite is a Winchester '06 pump. I rebuilt it from a wreck, after sourcing many parts. The thing I like about it is the 'slam fire' feature allowing 15 rounds in under 5 seconds.

Lloyd Smale
11-17-2023, 06:26 AM
actually i dont shoot 22s but rarely. i take them out for the grandkids. ive got 2 ar's in 9mm and with cast bullets there about as cheap to shoot. ive seen so many shortages of 22's that i hate to shoot up my stash. ive got thousands of 9s loaded and components enough that i could leave that stash alone and load what ill shoot till i die. i dont small game hunt anymore so unless the grandkids are with me id rather shoot something i casted and loaded. to me sahooting 22s is like shooting factory 44 mags. i didnt make it so i dont have much interest

pworley1
11-17-2023, 07:52 AM
Remington #4

JSnover
11-17-2023, 08:36 AM
My all time favorite is a Remington 341. The one I have the most fun with these days is a CZ 512.

Uncle Grinch
11-17-2023, 08:36 AM
Still have my first 22 rifle that I got when I was 10 years old in 1958. It’s an unusual Model 55, single shot automatic. Yeah, that’s right. Look it up.
My favorite and handiest is my Norinco JW15. It’s compact accurate and fun!

Budzilla 19
11-17-2023, 08:52 AM
Marlin “Golden” 39A bought in 94? Boringly accurate, really nice wood from the factory, scoped, sighted in, and put in the safe. Maybe 100 rounds through it.
The most funnest. That has to be a Marlin model 60, those little cheap guns, yeah y’all know ‘em, probably couldn’t pile the game those things harvested over my shop. Cheap gun, cheap scopes, junk ammo, ( anybody remember Federal Lightning rounds, pop,squeek,pfft! But they were cheap and when you were living paycheck to paycheck it mattered), rabbit and squirrel slaying machines.
Just my contribution. Have fun, gentlemen.

Rapier
11-17-2023, 09:40 AM
Easy choice, I bought a 510 from a dealer for real, real, real cheap, like $20. Mostly for the parts. A dirt dobber had built a nest in the muzzle. I sat it in a corner in the shop for a couple of years, then one day decided to see about a rehab and alteration project. Stripped then cut the barrel off at 16 1/2", threaded and recessed crowned, spun up on a barrel spinner then re-blued all of the metal, refinished the wood, drilled and tapped the barrel, put a center fire scope on it, stuck a suppressor on it. The package shoots pine cones at 200 yards off a rest with Federal or PMC Target. Very handy, quiet and effective critter getter, crows, feral cats, skunks, coons, armadildoes, etc.

Bigslug
11-17-2023, 11:52 AM
"Most Funnest"? Several contenders:

Winchester 1906 pump. I bought it for $75 with a perfect bore, but worn nearly white exterior and shattered gumwood stock spliced back together with hardware store junk. I'll never know the story, but like to tell myself it was some Okie family's subsistence rifle back during the dust bowl days, and they kept it running with what they had. I bought it and replaced the wood during my period of Highpower competition where even the cheap ammo practice .22 was a heavy barrel target gun that got shot with match rounds, a cuff sling, and leather coat. The 1906 was my "therapy/recovery" purchase that reminded me how to simply go out and have fun with a rifle. I can randomly dump in any S, L, or LR that fits and if the soup can falls over, I'm happy. I think somebody told John Browning to design an entry for a "last gun to wear out after the zombies come" contest - SOLID!

Remington 511. I learned on a 510, but since I've grown beyond the "new shooter" need for a single shot with an auto-re-engaging safety, the 511 repeater has all of the nostalgia with none of the frustration.

Winchester 67A. Everybody points to Browning's machineguns and the 1911 when they nominate him for sainthood. I go to this budget single shot. The extractor, ejector and sear are all the same part, and it's powered by one leaf spring.... and like the 1906, it's pretty much kid proof. I love running the guy's machines.

CZ-452 Ultra Lux. EXCELLENT sights with the front one way out at the end of a 28" barrel where the presbyopic rocks I used to call eyes can kinda focus on it. I was managing about a 50-60.% hit rate on empty 12 gauge shells shooting offhand unsupported at 50 yards a couple weeks back. That's pretty funnest.:mrgreen:

HONORABLE MENTION: Winchester 63. You have to respect Winchester for lavishing Model 52 target rifle fit and finish onto an autoloading .22 plinker with no provision for optics or target sights. There is only ONE thing about it that keeps it from being maybe the most funnest .22 ever: lack of a last shot hold open. I bought mine with a broken firing pin that I needed to replace, and the need to count my shots to prevent dry firing is the only killjoy in that rifle. The Ferrari of semi autos.

Ithaca Gunner
11-17-2023, 08:31 PM
One I didn't mention, (I no longer own it) was a Remington 513 T ''MatchMaster''. Not something you wanted to carry very far or shoot very long off-hand. It was a sizable rifle that weighed a good bit with it's 27'' heavy barrel and fat target stock. Along the top of the barrel, and J. Unertl 16X scope provided the sighting. Old school accuracy!

We had a starling infestation while I had it and there was no better fun than setting up in the back yard at roosting time shooting those dirty birds from the tops of the maple trees in the front yard. Winchester T-22's were quiet enough it never alarmed any of the neighbors, the old guy across the road said one day that every now and again a bird would just fall to the ground dead, he couldn't figure it out, never heard a shot. About dusk I would get an ash tub and a shovel, gather the dead, and bury them in the garden.

I think I need another 513 T!

nueces5
11-17-2023, 09:45 PM
cz452!

Digital Dan
11-18-2023, 09:05 AM
Remington 513S

oldhenry
11-18-2023, 02:08 PM
Remington 511.
Bought mine in '74 @ a pawn shop in Atlanta for $32.50. Not a beauty. Prior owner had attempted to mount a side mount scope using wood screws attaching the mount to the stock. On all other guns I correct defects & make them look presentable. This one shoots so well that I'll never touch it: it's beauty is in the way it shoots.

1Papalote
11-18-2023, 07:31 PM
Mid 70s Rossi 22 pump hammer gun , Winchester clone. Used to ride my 10 speed while hip shooting cans and bottles in the ditch.

georgerkahn
11-18-2023, 07:40 PM
My FUN favourite is a Marlin 15YN single shot from 2006 which shoots pretty much anything that can be chambered in it. I read it had a 2006 msrp of $225.00, and I chanced into a shop on Long Island, NY, where it was diminutively dwarfed by adjacent rifles in the "used" rack. 320113 It immediately started crying out at me, "Buy me...Buy me...Buy me" so with little adeau it was shortly in my hands. The sticker price? $350.00! Try as I might, I could not get seller to reduce price; I was "flush" at the time; and hey -- it's only money, right? I took it to range when I got home, along with three other arms -- and they never got fired at all. Light, tiny, and 110% pure fun!!!

Ithaca Gunner
11-18-2023, 08:17 PM
I have .22 pistols that shoot worlds better than this old 1948 Colt Conversion Unit, but they don't have the fun factor the old Colt has.

https://i.imgur.com/PuOKZ64h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tNU2txjh.jpg

Baltimoreed
11-18-2023, 09:04 PM
I enjoy shooting my 1924 Model 52 PreA but I also enjoy shooting a dedicated Seekins .22 AR Taccom that I put together. Both are heavy rifles, the 52 is slow but deadly accurate while the AR is fast and accurate.

Rusty Goose
11-18-2023, 09:44 PM
Hard to narrow it down to one... My grandfather's Remington 572 certainly brings smiles and fond memories, My Dad's 39a for same reason. I do really enjoy my little Rem #4 and a pocket full of .22 shorts.
My Colt Peacemaker is a solid contender along with a Charles Daly Hi Power frame I built as a dedicated .22 with a JA Ciener conversion kit. But I hit every darn thing I aim at with the S&W m41.

Ithaca Gunner
11-18-2023, 11:26 PM
Hard to narrow it down to one... My grandfather's Remington 572 certainly brings smiles and fond memories, My Dad's 39a for same reason. I do really enjoy my little Rem #4 and a pocket full of .22 shorts.
My Colt Peacemaker is a solid contender along with a Charles Daly Hi Power frame I built as a dedicated .22 with a JA Ciener conversion kit. But I hit every darn thing I aim at with the S&W m41.

If that's your biggest problem, you're on top of the world.

Thundarstick
11-19-2023, 06:03 AM
Wow! I guess for me it's a tie between the Remington 121, and the FLD Browning BL-22. The latter has a long tapered octagon barrel instead of the normal round barrel on the BL-22.

Rusty Goose
11-19-2023, 11:57 AM
Interesting, I have never seen a BL-22 with an octagonal barrel. That must really look great! I have a round barrel one, it is fun one to shoot as well. It always feels so light and nimble after shooting my 39a, more like my Marlin 1892, but with that crazy short throw and the trigger mounted in the lever, it feels a little more like a surgical instrument.

Rusty

Ithaca Gunner
11-19-2023, 02:03 PM
Kinda reminds me of the most un-funnest .22 of my life, a Browning BPR .22WM. This miserable thing would feed jam at least once, often twice with each magazine full, and you had to take it apart to clear the jam.

imashooter2
11-19-2023, 07:31 PM
I have a Smith and Wesson 15-22 with a CMORE Railway on it that is about the best rimfire steel gun ever.

Thundarstick
11-20-2023, 10:07 AM
Interesting, I have never seen a BL-22 with an octagonal barrel. That must really look great! I have a round barrel one, it is fun one to shoot as well. It always feels so light and nimble after shooting my 39a, more like my Marlin 1892, but with that crazy short throw and the trigger mounted in the lever, it feels a little more like a surgical instrument.

Rusty

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/bl-22/bl22-fld-grade-2-octagon.html

Holy Moly have they gone up in price!

Ithaca Gunner
11-20-2023, 10:34 AM
Like everything else.

Jedman
11-20-2023, 11:09 AM
I have and still own many 22’s in all action types but the funnest probably has to go to my 22 ATD made by Norinco. That almost hurts my feelings saying a Chinese built gun can be that good, but mine is ! It’s as accurate as a good bolt gun, never jams or has ever let me down and it’s light and handy.
Do to my eyes I have a long eye relief 2 1/2 power compact 1” scope on it mounted on the barrel and it has a great field of view and I have knocked birds out of the sky and killed all sorts running small game with the thing.

Jedman

FredBuddy
11-20-2023, 03:03 PM
Winchester 62A with 22 shorts !

TCFAN
11-20-2023, 04:51 PM
My favorite is a Winchester 62 made in 1937. A very nice shooter.

https://i.imgur.com/eodYwI3.jpg

hoodat
11-20-2023, 07:31 PM
I'm not having luck lately at uploading pics, but my fav 22 is often my little Remington Model 6 falling block. It's right at 100 years old, and I wonder how many of us boys this rifle has been loved by.

We don't always remember that at zero to 50 yards, these little rifles with their sights only 1/4 inch or so above the bore shoot exactly to point of aim. A scoped rifle is often as much as 2 inches off at these close ranges. If ya want to plink a penny off of a stump or stuff like that, a little open sight boys rifle is often the best. jd

Hannibal
11-20-2023, 09:13 PM
I'm not having luck lately at uploading pics, but my fav 22 is often my little Remington Model 6 falling block. It's right at 100 years old, and I wonder how many of us boys this rifle has been loved by.

We don't always remember that at zero to 50 yards, these little rifles with their sights only 1/4 inch or so above the bore shoot exactly to point of aim. A scoped rifle is often as much as 2 inches off at these close ranges. If ya want to plink a penny off of a stump or stuff like that, a little open sight boys rifle is often the best. jd

Is your rifle an original or improved model? Just curious as I've had trouble with case ruptures which I've decided are due to the thinner brass on .22 ammunition these days. Extractor doesn't provide enough support. Mine is an original model and it's pretty well worn. Barrel is a nightmare. Coke can at 20 yards if the case remains intact. 50 yds isn't even worth attempting. Doesn't always fire the first time either due to the firing pin design. If dry fired the pin will distort the barrel and eventually effects reliable firing. Mine isn't horrible but isn't 100% reliable either. Flat springs which are weak with age too.

Rusty Goose
11-21-2023, 01:41 AM
Wow, that model 62 is a beautiful rifle. I love those sights!

rbuck351
11-21-2023, 02:13 AM
My favorite rifle is a 1919 Savage NRA my dad got for me about 60 year ago. I have three 22 pistols that I would have a hard time picking a favorite. They are a MKI T 6 7/8" a Colt/Walther 1911 and a S&W k22.

Ithaca Gunner
11-21-2023, 09:51 AM
I enjoy shooting my 1924 Model 52 PreA but I also enjoy shooting a dedicated Seekins .22 AR Taccom that I put together. Both are heavy rifles, the 52 is slow but deadly accurate while the AR is fast and accurate.

Those OLD 52's are very much under rated. No speed lock? No problem, just apply good shooting principals.

firefly1957
11-21-2023, 01:05 PM
I get the most pleasure shooting .22 pistols over rifles my two favorites are a High Standard H-D military and a S&W Model 17 .

With the passing of my father I have some other Ruger and H&R .22 pistols that are fun to shoot all but one of them (Sigle Six .22 Magnum only) had belonged to my grandfather . I passed a Single Six with both cylinders on to my son and my granddaughter likes to shoot it .

BamaNapper
11-21-2023, 01:33 PM
I'll have to agree with a couple other responses here, the Winchester 1906 pump. I'm the third generation in our family to own it, starting with my grandfather when it was new back in 1909. It still shoots well and makes a trip to the woods now and then for squirrels. Growing up it was my rabbit gun, but not many of them around since I moved south. Pistols can be fun, and there's a Ruger 77/22 in the closet with a Leupold that's super accurate that makes me smile. But hands down the most fun is the old pump.

hoodat
11-21-2023, 04:47 PM
Is your rifle an original or improved model? Just curious as I've had trouble with case ruptures which I've decided are due to the thinner brass on .22 ammunition these days. Extractor doesn't provide enough support. Mine is an original model and it's pretty well worn. Barrel is a nightmare. Coke can at 20 yards if the case remains intact. 50 yds isn't even worth attempting. Doesn't always fire the first time either due to the firing pin design. If dry fired the pin will distort the barrel and eventually effects reliable firing. Mine isn't horrible but isn't 100% reliable either. Flat springs which are weak with age too.

Mine is also the original model. The bore isn't pristine, but it shoots as good as any of my 22's. I suppose the earliest of these little rifles may have been used with black powder cartridges, and suffered the consequences. Mine is mechanically perfect, with tight lock-up and strong main spring. You are right about the dry fire thing, and I guess the only fix for that would be to cut another chamber and shorten the breach accordingly. jd

Te Hopo
12-02-2023, 12:15 AM
My most fun rifle is a 14" suppressed Marlin 7000T, "zip zip zip"

Very very close second is the Winchester 67, such a simple and good looking rifle.
I'd love to have something like it in .38spl

waylonrocks
12-03-2023, 05:51 AM
I would go with my very first gun I received for Christmas at age seven. A single shot Ithaca 49. I am fortunate to also have a Marlin 780 bolt action, a Ruger 77 and a Winchester 94 XTR, all with scopes. All are excellent. The sights on the little Ithaca are fine enough for small targets, such as empty shotgun hulls. It's surprising how fast you can blow through a 50 round box of ammo with a single shot! There is a constant quest for increased magazine capacity for all guns these days, so it's a hoot to slow things down so that each shot is savored.

sailcaptain
12-03-2023, 10:25 AM
I have to go way back

sailcaptain
12-03-2023, 10:44 AM
You asked for the “funnest”, well I agree with PWorley, its my grandfathers 320574Remington No.4 Rolling Block.
I was taught to shoot using this gun. My father would bring me to the town dump back in the 60’s and while he was unloading the truck I could shoot the rats I saw. Back then they didn’t frown on things like this and encouraged it.
I was given 5 - .22 cal Shorts. Thats what I could shoot in the time frame we had. And my father would count the shots and make sure ALL 5 were shot.
I still have the rifle and 2 boxes of shorts for it.
Somewhere along the years the front site was knocked off. So the search goes on for a replacement for that.

murf205
12-03-2023, 04:56 PM
Mine is my CZ 512 22 mag. I know, the ammo cost too much but this rifle shoots groups that make even me look good and it has some punch to boot. 40 gr Federal fmj's clock a flat 2000 fps out it this gun. I took out a loan and bought a CZ 10 rnd magazine!

dale2242
12-06-2023, 12:48 PM
My model 75 Winchester with a 15 power Unertl.

MSGuy
12-06-2023, 02:13 PM
Cooper model 57M-TRP set up for RFBR

Forrest r
12-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Hands down my 1st year 1963 anchutz 54 sporter in 22lr. Shot it enough that I had to hand fit another single claw extractor.
https://i.imgur.com/CnH87BC.jpg

Charliemac
12-07-2023, 12:59 PM
The one I like to shoot the most is my Winchester M69A match version.

Slugster
12-07-2023, 01:25 PM
My funnest .22 rifle is a rather mundane looking Marlin Model 25N. I have hit houseflies at 25 yards with it. It shoots 1/2" at 50 yards if I do my part. Many a squirrel has fallen to it.

John Guedry
12-07-2023, 02:32 PM
Winchester model 60.

sigep1764
12-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Either of the Marlin Model 60s or the Savage B22 FVSR. All shoot very tight groups with CCI SV and lots of fun

pdgoutdoors
12-08-2023, 04:29 PM
I love my CZ 457. It will ring a 1” at 100 yds all day with Eley Tenex, and about 2-3” with cci std target. With a 20moa rail it’s fun to shoot at 200-300 as well.

rmcc
12-09-2023, 02:17 PM
A 34 pre A standard and a pre A 36 bull barrel!!

Rodfac
12-09-2023, 09:45 PM
My grail gun when I was a kid in 1960 (age 14), was a Winchester Model 62, just like the shooting galleries at the county fair. IIRC, they got a quarter for ten shots and if you completely shot out the red dot you got a Winchester just like the ones chained to the wood counter.

I was in my late 40's before I quenched that particular lust, and found a 62A that was in super condition. Hell, even the hammer sides didn't show much bluing loss. I found it was in good shape mechanically and accurate enough, tho even at that tender age, my eyes were starting to dim. I replaced the front sight with a Lyman white ivory dot and installed a tang peep which helped with the eye sight problems immeasurably.

A couple of years later I ran across a Model 61 in similar shape and that joined the 62 for Saturday plinking chores. Every kid I coached back then liked the 61's hammerless design better, but maybe also because I had scoped it with one of those cute Redfield 3/4" .22 scopes. It's still set up that way and with CCI Standard's it'll keep 5 shots under 3/8" at 32 yards off my porch rail. There are a thousand dead starlings here on the farm that absolutely hate that old gun.

Here's the pic of them together...given the herculean task of choosing only one, it'd be tough but I'd probably hang onto the M-62. The 2nd pic is my current love...a Marlin 39 Century Limited with that octagon bbl., that really lightens it for carry. It's a tack driver but the 62's still my best girl. YMMv Rod

https://i.postimg.cc/yWqRFm0t/M61-and-M62.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/NfRB1NyN/Marlin-Century-Ltd.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Ithaca Gunner
12-10-2023, 10:49 AM
That's three fine .22 rifles you have there, Rod! I'm sure each one is a pleasure in it's own way.

rockrat
12-10-2023, 12:22 PM
Like Sasquatch-1, the Rem. Nylon 66 also in Apache Black. Don't know how many cases of 22's I have put thru that gun. Of course, in second place a nose behind is my Marlin 39A, circa 1974, that I know I have put at least 3 cases of 22's thru it without a hitch.
Now the funnest gun was at a Machine gun shoot I went to one time and it was an American 180 drum fed machine gun. Think it held 177 rounds and took about 6 seconds to empty. The light was just right and it seemed like I could see the bullets going down range about 5 ft apart. Sadly, that shoot is no longer going on. That was a fun day!!!

Rapier
12-11-2023, 05:43 PM
Cheating a bit.....but this is six of the 510s and six of the 511s. Only six would fit in a picture. I did twelve 510s for the grand kids, I guess you could call those fun guns. The six 512s and 513s would be a bit over kill. I just have a fondness for those 500 series Rem 22s.

Ithaca Gunner
12-11-2023, 06:05 PM
They were excellent rifles, some of the best .22 bolt actions ever made. I had a 512 as a kid, it went with me about everywhere I went. Modest price, great design, and quality build. I much prefer them to the like priced Winchesters of the day.

atfsux
12-11-2023, 06:26 PM
They were excellent rifles, some of the best .22 bolt actions ever made. I had a 512 as a kid, it went with me about everywhere I went. Modest price, great design, and quality build. I much prefer them to the like priced Winchesters of the day.

Yep, agreed. Dad got me a 511 Scoremaster when I was 7 and I miss that rifle. It spoiled me. I thought all rifles had triggers that crisp and accuracy that good.

Seeker
12-11-2023, 06:31 PM
I own several .22 lr rifles and pistols. I'd have to say my funnest one is my Ruger precision. Disciplining myself to shoot the heads off of wooden matchsticks at 50 yds..

elmacgyver0
12-11-2023, 09:43 PM
My funnest is whatever one I happen to be shooting at the time.

Sgt H
12-11-2023, 11:40 PM
I think they are all fun. Recently I was at a practice day at one of the ranges I shoot long range gong matches and played with the Crossno liner in my 1874 Shiloh Sharps. Had a blast ringing or more properly tinking steel out to 350 yards. Surprised at the accuracy of the liner also, was able to get sub 2moa groups out to 200 yards, until the wind got up. One thing for certain 50 rounds lasts a whole lot longer than with the semi autos.

Texas by God
12-14-2023, 08:22 PM
Today I shot some cast 6.8 SPC loads @ 40 yards with my AR15 with 6x Redfield scope.
It’s sighted in for jacketed loads so it impacts low.
For grins I got out the 510 and shot 5 MiniMags at the lower https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231215/3c956fbe6abf52c280dfeba827574187.jpg
blurry dot hiding behind the blurry front bead…….
Yep, still the funnest .22 that I own!

Tripplebeards
12-14-2023, 08:58 PM
My cheap $199 22" black synthetic Ruger American in 22wmr. It shoots a third inch groups at 100 yards pretty consistently with 30 grain vmax ammo. It's It's tac driver!I did lighten the heck out of the trigger. It brakes around a pound or less.

ravelode
01-01-2024, 08:14 PM
Mine is a Winchester model 55. Had to replace the bakelite feed trough with a Frist Aluminum. Otherwise it's all steel and walnut. Still the fastest single shot 22 ever made.

kenrh
01-01-2024, 09:29 PM
Even to this day after 60 years, my Browning BL-22 can still shoot bullseyes at 50 yards.

John in WI
01-02-2024, 08:47 PM
About a year ago, my mom asked me "are you ever going to grab your rifle?" It turns out, my very first ever firearm--a well used Stevens 73, was still sitting in a closet (nearly 30 years). I finally fixed the extractor, and got it out for the first time since the early 90's. It's a single shot bolt action. My dad got it for me with the idea that having exactly 1 shot would teach discipline. I really like it a lot. Refinished the stock in Tung Oil Finish, gave it good cleaning. She runs like a top now. It was like reuniting with an old, long lost friend.

John in WI
01-02-2024, 08:52 PM
I picked up a used Ruger .22 mag about 18 months ago. She is a tack driver! I have never owned for fired a .22WMR before. I have to say, it has considerable punch. I liked it so much, actually, that I also got a .22WMR revolver ( a cheap Rough Rider--but it shoots straight too). It's a fun caliber. Good power, but a LOT quieter than my .223. And a hell of a lot cheaper to feed.

303Guy
01-08-2024, 02:18 PM
Today I shot some cast 6.8 SPC loads @ 40 yards with my AR15 with 6x Redfield scope.
It’s sighted in for jacketed loads so it impacts low.
For grins I got out the 510 and shot 5 MiniMags at the lower https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231215/3c956fbe6abf52c280dfeba827574187.jpg
blurry dot hiding behind the blurry front bead…….
Yep, still the funnest .22 that I own!

Aah - those blurry sights! A long time ago I learned to focus on the target. It works for me. Or at least it used to but now that my font sight has grown triplicates ..... However, I have one rifle, a Toz, that has sights that I can still see in singular form and I can shoot with it. It's now my dedicated open sight rifle.

But my funnest 22 rifle at the moment is my shortened barrel Voere with suppressor, a ten round magazine that cost me more than the rifle (got it cheap 'cause it had no mag), scoped, double torched and laser. Talk about tacticool! It's my possum rifle and is as accurate as one can hope for. It's shortness makes it perfect for dragging around in the bush and long grass and it's light enough so as not to bother me. I still carry it on a sling though which is probably why it doesn't bother me. I'll take a photo of it to put when I get a round tooit.

https://i.postimg.cc/vHQgZVRP/Voere_100m_Eley_Team.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

And that wasn't with the best rest. Can it do better? Doesn't matter, I can't shoot that far anyway.

AZ Pete
01-08-2024, 09:29 PM
funnest pistol is a '60's vintage Ruger Standard Model 4". It shoots as well as my MKI and MKIV. Only .22 rifle is a Cooper which prints one hole groups regularly....As a boy, my first gun was a Browning A5 16 ga. second was a Model 94 30-30. The shotgun was Christmas 1960, the Winchester followed two years later. I was 50 when I got the Cooper, my first .22 rifle.

beltfed
01-09-2024, 10:34 PM
Remington 513SA bolt action sporter. With a USA Weaver T-10 mounted on it. I enjoyed it very much back in the days
of South Dakota Prairie Dog hunts. Had kills out to as far as 165 yards. Used RWS Std Vel HPs .
beltfed/arnie

steve urquell
01-10-2024, 01:07 AM
My Stevens new model Favorite 30GM .22mag

https://i.imgur.com/4IdBCHF.jpg

Mr.doug
01-10-2024, 10:18 AM
Toss up between Marlin 39 lever or the hi standard supermatic trouphy. Both extremely accurate

Tripplebeards
01-10-2024, 09:17 PM
Here is the first two groups I shot with my Ruger American 22WMR standard at 100 yards. It’s a tack driver!

Vmax

https://i.imgur.com/SerWpEF.jpg

Winchester 2250 fps tipped varmint ammo…

https://i.imgur.com/AfkpiLU.jpg

There’s a couple squirrels I shot the other day. The two head shots were at 60 yards and the big fox was a little over 100 yards running up a tree and I put the crosshairs weight on its nose and hit them behind the front shoulder. All freehand shots.

https://i.imgur.com/rfVgD4A.jpg

I installed an EGW rail on it so I can swap back and forth with nite vision. Never used the night vision scope but maybe someday?

https://i.imgur.com/UJnzyso.jpg

Gunslinger1911
01-12-2024, 07:36 AM
2 definitions of fun 22 for me.
Sit down and concentrate? Win 52 D, 1968 vintage. Absolute laser with Center X. Wooden match sticks at 50 yd laser.
Just plain HOOT ! ? AR 22. Anderson lower, Tactical Solutions upper, Black Dog mags. Plinker extreme

kenrh
01-12-2024, 02:47 PM
My pick would be my Browning BL-22 Grade 1, which my dad bought me about 55 years ago. Cost $90.00. Today that same rifle would be $850.00.
Still a tack driver after at least 50,000 rounds.

303Guy
01-14-2024, 05:07 AM
Here is my current funnest tacticool 22 rifle. I mentioned this one a few posts up but didn't have a photo at the time.

https://i.postimg.cc/9fP8nQT3/20240114-115654-2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

It wasn't my intention of making it tacticool but it just happened to end up that way as my night time varminting needs dictated. The two torches are because one wasn't bright enough and the laser is because up close and personal, the scope is too high plus it doesn't focus with my eyes up that close. It's short and light and a lot of fun!

Sasquatch-1
01-14-2024, 09:08 AM
Here is my current funnest tacticool 22 rifle. I mentioned this one a few posts up but didn't have a photo at the time.

https://i.postimg.cc/9fP8nQT3/20240114-115654-2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

It wasn't my intention of making it tacticool but it just happened to end up that way as my night time varminting needs dictated. The two torches are because one wasn't bright enough and the laser is because up close and personal, the scope is too high plus it doesn't focus with my eyes up that close. It's short and light and a lot of fun!

Looks like something out of a Post Apocalyptic Zombie movie! :mrgreen:

Ithaca Gunner
01-14-2024, 12:44 PM
Looks like something out of a Post Apocalyptic Zombie movie! :mrgreen:

Mad Max's rifle.

FergusonTO35
01-15-2024, 11:31 AM
Here is the first two groups I shot with my Ruger American 22WMR standard at 100 yards. It’s a tack driver!

Vmax

https://i.imgur.com/SerWpEF.jpg

Winchester 2250 fps tipped varmint ammo…

https://i.imgur.com/AfkpiLU.jpg

There’s a couple squirrels I shot the other day. The two head shots were at 60 yards and the big fox was a little over 100 yards running up a tree and I put the crosshairs weight on its nose and hit them behind the front shoulder. All freehand shots.

https://i.imgur.com/rfVgD4A.jpg

I installed an EGW rail on it so I can swap back and forth with nite vision. Never used the night vision scope but maybe someday?

https://i.imgur.com/UJnzyso.jpg

My Ruger American wears a Williams FP receiver sight and is way more accurate than I can take advantage of. Just picked up a gently used Savage Mark III for a buck fifty. Replaced the rear sight with a Folding Marbles leaf and that thing is making one hole at 25 yards standing. I am not much of a marksman and that is extremely good for me.

FergusonTO35
01-15-2024, 11:32 AM
Even to this day after 60 years, my Browning BL-22 can still shoot bullseyes at 50 yards.

Love those BL22's. Only reason I went with my Henry H001T is because it has an octagonal barrel.

TheGrimReaper
02-05-2024, 10:53 PM
Mine is a POF Rebel

dverna
02-06-2024, 12:25 AM
An old Anschutz .22 repeater my dad gave me almost 60 years ago. It is not like one of the fancy ones made today but I will never sell it. I have “better” .22’s but not better…if you know what I mean.

My dad passed 46 years ago. After all those years it still hurts. Just a wussy I guess. Have never met a better man.

About 6 weeks ago was with a group from church and I was talking about him. He was an atheist and I believe he had been sexually abused by members of the RC church when he was sent to a monastery to train for the priesthood at the age of 12. I broke down. He will not be in heaven when I get there as he rejected all religion. I will miss him for eternity.

I hope God would let me trade places with him. He deserves to be in heaven far more than I do…but I know it does work that way.

Wish I had not opened this thread.

Idaho45guy
02-27-2024, 04:29 PM
An old Anschutz .22 repeater my dad gave me almost 60 years ago. It is not like one of the fancy ones made today but I will never sell it. I have “better” .22’s but not better…if you know what I mean.

My dad passed 46 years ago. After all those years it still hurts. Just a wussy I guess. Have never met a better man.

About 6 weeks ago was with a group from church and I was talking about him. He was an atheist and I believe he had been sexually abused by members of the RC church when he was sent to a monastery to train for the priesthood at the age of 12. I broke down. He will not be in heaven when I get there as he rejected all religion. I will miss him for eternity.

I hope God would let me trade places with him. He deserves to be in heaven far more than I do…but I know it does work that way.

My dad also rejected religion, but he was a terrible father, grandfather, and great-grandfather who caused all sorts of emotional damage. But, he had great taste in fine firearms and since, in his words, he was fortunate to only impregnate one woman, I inherited all of them.

And of those, a few were .22s, and one of them just made me smile when I shot it.

It's a scaled down replica of a Winchester 1885 single-shot in .22lr...

Hondolane
02-27-2024, 04:37 PM
A Mossberg B46B With Mossberg Scope M4D.

fordwannabe
02-27-2024, 04:59 PM
Toss up between my Henry 001 big loop with a suppressor or my 10-22 with an aftermarket barrel, target scope and a suppressor.

FLINTNFIRE
02-27-2024, 05:21 PM
When I was a teen it was a marlin glenfield model 60 , shot that a lot and it was accurate , feed ramp being pot metal broke and so it went in a box for years till I bought parts cut stock and gave to a stepson , then it was a ruger 10-22 boy that one was accurate and dependable , I still have the original barrel and wood stock but front and rear sights I replaced as it saw a lot of use with friends kids and pest control .

Currently as favorite is a Remington Speedmaster model 241 since about 2001 , and today a fresh supply of Aguila showed up at my door , time to take it off wall and go see how it does .

But I have heavy barrel bolts and remington 552 and 572 and they are all fun and some good shooting rifles also but growing up watching what my dad could do with his 572 and that 3/4 in weaver 6 power scope and whatever store bought shells were cheapest still impresses me to this day compared to what most use today .

FergusonTO35
03-04-2024, 03:48 PM
Gave my late model 10/22 some exercise yesterday. At 35 yards offhand it will make .75" groups no problem in spite of the dummy pulling the trigger!

shtur
03-11-2024, 08:48 PM
These Belgium Browning SA-22's, all three are equally favorite.
https://i.imgur.com/5ZkHfRM.jpg?1

Idaho45guy
03-13-2024, 02:59 AM
These Belgium Browning SA-22's, all three are equally favorite.
https://i.imgur.com/5ZkHfRM.jpg?1

Very nice! The wood on that bottom one is breathtaking!

I inherited my Grandfather's Remington Speedmaster in .22 Short, which is a copy of the Browning design. It's a bit of fun to shoot.

nueces5
03-13-2024, 10:00 AM

I hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings with these words. I do not believe in any god nor profess any religion, although I have been educated in a Catholic school. Over the years, working as an emergency surgeon in a hospital in the suburbs of Buenos Aires, I have seen so many things that I don't make sense of Christianity, other than the interests of the church.
If your own father was the best man you have ever known, think about yourself as a father, there is nothing better than having your own son remember you as you remember him. I wish that in 60 years my daughter would say the same about me!

Ziptar
03-13-2024, 06:51 PM
This one is the most fun. It just sort of happened, it started with a 10/22 receiver that I found at the bottom of my safe while packing up after we'd sold our house last fall. It had been a while since I built a 10/22 so while packing up I set aside any 10/22 stuff I had figuring I'd make a rifle.

I had a Franklin binary trigger I bought a couple of year prior on a whim, never installed it. I found an E. Arthur Brown M1 Carbine "Tribute" rear sight, JWH extended charging handle, Timber Creek extended mag release, a couple trigger assemblies, a bolt, a Volquartsen extractor and spring, and a Kidd guide rod and spring. Didn't have a barrel or a stock though.

When I was on gunpartscorp.com looking for stuff, there was a Samson BT-M side folding stock listed for $195, too good to be true I thought, price mistake, I'm just not that lucky. I bit anyway and ordered, it actually showed up. I ordered the sling swivels and hand guard that go with it from Samson. The 16 inch threaded barrel with flash hider came from SAP Outfitters. The sling is a 1-1/4" M1 Carbine style sling that a guy makes and sells on ebay. I'd bought it for an Iver Johnson 9MM M1 Carbine I have but wound up using the regular 1" sling for it.

It's just a range toy but it runs like a top with CCI Mini mags, surprisingly accurate given the mismatched sights, and is definitely my "funnest" .22, even it's a little over the top for a 10/22.

TheGrimReaper
03-13-2024, 10:48 PM
POF rebel

The Appalacian
03-14-2024, 08:02 AM
Without a doubt the one my dad bought new in 1969 when I was 3 years old, and gave to me 10 years ago. Marlin 39A.

https://i.postimg.cc/rmW1VFss/Screenshot-20220907-184016-Gallery.jpg

Ithaca Gunner
03-14-2024, 09:31 AM
Without a doubt the one my dad bought new in 1969 when I was 3 years old, and gave to me 10 years ago. Marlin 39A.

https://i.postimg.cc/rmW1VFss/Screenshot-20220907-184016-Gallery.jpg

Hey, my Marlin 39A is a twin to yours, and a '69 build also. They are great rifles but I must stand by my original pick of my Remington 121 pump action as my funest. It just has a fit that makes it an off-hand shooter extrodinare.

What scope do you have on your Marlin? Looks like an old Weaver ''Marksman'' 3-9.

Jack Russel
05-02-2024, 09:25 PM
Marlin model 60

Txcowboy52
05-02-2024, 10:57 PM
My CZ 457 super accurate, lots of fun !

6.5X284ever
05-05-2024, 04:02 PM
326295"Cornholio!" SBR

hoodat
05-05-2024, 05:32 PM
I answered this thread a year or so ago, but wasn't able to post pics. These boys rifles are all great fun, and are all about a hundred years old. My fav is the Remington Model 6 in the front, but the others are great as well. They were all projects that needed some love, as well as a few parts, but they're now functional and have been killing starlings in the yard. Some of them still have the initials of the boys they belonged to in the past. I'll bet they could all tell some great stories. jd

gnoahhh
05-05-2024, 07:35 PM
Favorite .22 rifle: Ballard Pacific which someone re-barreled to .22.

https://i.imgur.com/adH81b3l.jpg

It shoots too. 100 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/U5e1x0Ll.jpg

Favorite .22 handgun: Pre-War Colt Officer's Model Target.

https://i.imgur.com/cvIlgESl.jpg

Der Gebirgsjager
05-05-2024, 08:38 PM
I have several .22 rifles, but I think my favorite is this Rooskie TZ-17 with cheap-o scope. It has all the accuracy I need, which isn't very much very often!

326310 326311

DG

Ithaca Gunner
05-06-2024, 01:13 PM
I answered this thread a year or so ago, but wasn't able to post pics. These boys rifles are all great fun, and are all about a hundred years old. My fav is the Remington Model 6 in the front, but the others are great as well. They were all projects that needed some love, as well as a few parts, but they're now functional and have been killing starlings in the yard. Some of them still have the initials of the boys they belonged to in the past. I'll bet they could all tell some great stories. jd

I like that Stevens Favorite!

Ithaca Gunner
05-06-2024, 01:32 PM
Favorite .22 rifle: Ballard Pacific which someone re-barreled to .22.

https://i.imgur.com/adH81b3l.jpg

It shoots too. 100 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/U5e1x0Ll.jpg

Favorite .22 handgun: Pre-War Colt Officer's Model Target.

https://i.imgur.com/cvIlgESl.jpg

Our club gun show in March, a fellow had one of the heavy Martini BSA 12/15 .22 target rifles at a good price, complete with it's original target sights and inserts in the brass tube inletted in the forearn, ($750.). Not drilled and tapped for blocks though, I didn't buy it just because it wasn't. Yes, now I regret it.

Very much like this one.
https://i.imgur.com/0Sr9jleh.jpg

BigAl52
05-06-2024, 02:44 PM
Ive got a Henry 001T oct barrel with big loop lever thats a ton of fun and I just picked up this Ruger Talo 10/22.
https://taloinc.com/product/ruger-10-22-carbine-lvt-hogue-stock

I put a reflex green dot on it and its alot of fun with that dot

Rockindaddy
05-06-2024, 06:11 PM
Probably an American 180. Load 177 rounds in the drum on top of the gun and let er rip! At 1000 rounds per minute it was a little buzz saw! Shot a scrub 3" tree off with one burst!!!

Rapier
05-07-2024, 03:44 PM
This is a $20 junk M-510 I bought in a pawn shop for the parts, barrel had a dirt dobber nest built by a wasp into the muzzle that had eaten up about 2"of the muzzle area. So took it down, cleaned it up, removed the barrel, cut it to 16.25" , drilled & tapped the barrel for two 541 bases, threaded it and recessed target crowned it on my lathe. Added a center fire Redfield Scope. Attached a registered suppressor and as normal, luck is way better than ability, it can shoot pine cones on my pond at 200 with PMC Target ammo. Death on turtles. Now that is a lot of fun for a $20 Jackson in anyone's book..

Rapidrob
05-07-2024, 07:15 PM
My wife's "funnest" .22 rifle is a Mauser trainer from WWII with an original Fecker 4-power scope with very fine wire cross-hairs. She has won many 200 meter matches with this rifle.

My "funnest" is a Vickers Mark 1(a really cool modification of the Martini Cadet type rifle) I, too, have won my club's 200-meter match using this rifle many times. It is just crazy accurate

Plate plinker
05-07-2024, 10:53 PM
Winchester 61 and a S&W mp 22-15. Tough choice

K43
05-07-2024, 11:30 PM
Ithaca Model 49 "Saddlegun" single shot. My first non-BB gun. Looks like a lever action repeater, but it's really a Martini like falling block.