PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seeks .41 and .50 S&W mold advice..

TDC
02-15-2009, 01:38 AM
I found this board last night..... I belong to several other unrelated boards and this is truly one of the most impressive ones I've seen!! Some very knowledgeable and helpful people here....

WOW!! I've been away from reloading and bullet casting for 13 years.. My, my, my, how things have changed!!

It was quickly discovered local stores no longer inventory 90% of what used to be purchased over the counter for casting. Brass, primers, powder as well -- all currently in very short supply with no relief in sight... Items like gas checks nowhere to be found except on-line, and then it seems most are back-ordered with no ETA or delivery dates projected by the distributors... I guess I could blame it on the economic and political times but somehow the shortages seem to be more than that this time...

I recently purchased a new S&W 500 6 1/2". I set out to purchase all the needed components to reload for it and for making cast bullets. First discovery -- Lee makes only one DC mold for the gun and that's a 440gr. I wanted something in a 350/375gr and Lee offered nothing. I checked on gas checks for this caliber and about pee'd my pants!! $47.50- $53.00/per k was the going "discount" rate from the larger distributors - AND THEY WERE BACK-ORDERED WITH NO ANTICIPATED DELIVER DATE!! I found some old containers of Hornady Gas Checks in my reloading boxes. .338 and .38 cal. with the price still on the containers -- would you believe $4.00 per k!!

Brass in my area for a .50, when it could be found, is $30 to $50 per 50 rounds, and of course, nobody has any. Loaded ammo? Well, lets just say no way I'm going to pay out $2.50 to $3.00 PER SHOT for "premium" ammo!!

Enough rant about these conditions today..... I'm sure you're all very aware of them.

I'm still going to cast and load for the .50 but my workhorse guns will be a .41 and a .44. I'm well set up for the .44 but I need a good gas check mold for the .41 and the .50. Could you guys who are experienced with these calibers recommend a good DC mold choice for these two?

Thanks for any advice. I hope to visit here often...

Terry

azrednek
02-15-2009, 02:58 AM
WELCOME BACK!!!

If you want a gas checked 41 look for a 410610 Lyman. Lyman has discontinued it but it might still be sitting on a distributor's shelf. Lee has a couple of plain base 41's. Lee's price is right for plinking ammo but for serious shooting check get a Lyman, NEI or Saeco mold for gas checked 41's. The only place to buy gas checks is right here. Go to the group buy section of this group for details. I don't believe he currently has any 41's but keep checking back.

For your 50, Lyman has a mold that drops a casting about 375 I think, but it is plain based.

Start looking around your area for lead ASAP!! 13 years ago tire shops used to give away wheel weights, not any more. Now is the time to begin scrounging and hoarding all the lead you can lay your hands on.

TDC
02-15-2009, 04:45 AM
Thanks Azrednek...

My first post here was to try to join a group purchase of gas checks...

I still have 150lbs of WW lead from the "good 'ol days." While checking for other needed casting stuff I found a guy with 85lbs of Lino at a buck a pound. I think I'll buy that tomorrow.

The 410610 is exactly what I hope to buy... Thanks for the info. I'll be checking sources until I find one. If anyone knows where one could be found I'd appreciate the lead. As for the .50, I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the Lee 440gr mold for now until I find something else I like.

I discovered I still have two tubes of RCBS and one tube of Lyman lube left. I'm wondering if there are some new high-tech choices available today...

Thanks for the advice.... I have a lot to learn!

missionary5155
02-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Good morning and WELCOME TDC!
I shoot primerily 41. I probably shoot 90 % PB and seldom even think about GC´s anymore. This is when I am up NORTH there. Down here I have 44-40 and routinely push 220-260 grains PB with 8-10 grains Unique (all I have) out my Winny and Colt New Service.
A 220-250 grain .41 PB moving at 1200fps is gonna full penetrate most critters under 300 pounds under 50 yards and probably out to 75 yards. I primarily hunt river bottoms so 35 yards is all I am gonna be shooting anyway. Cayotees are DEAD with any 180 grain+ you hit them with out to whatever range you can hit them well.
So if all you have/ find are PB molds 50/50 WW + pure or straight WW will take care of a lot of shooting/ hunting.
Mike God Bless ya.

Blammer
02-15-2009, 11:36 AM
welcome!

For GC's, check the swappin and sellin section. I am trying to stock GC's in hand for everyone's desires. The only thing preventing me is capital. :)

TDC
02-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks missionary5155 and Blammer,

I'm still learning to navigate this forum. I posted a request for the mold azredneck suggested in the swappin' and sellin' section.

This is quite an amazing board with so many knowledgeable and helpful people in every category. I'm thankful I found it and can claim to be a new member!

Terry

GLynn41
02-16-2009, 02:13 PM
You can also go to Mountain Mold.com and design you one --in aluminum or brass-- the Lymand new will be about $50-60 and Dans will be more $85? but it will be yours -- as to GC smy only GC mold shoots as well with as with out-- if you look for a used mold I really like the 410459 if you can get one at a decent price - and 226 gr will sail through a deer-- a 240 will sail through a deer-- and the 255 will sail through a deer ooseea trend-- do not be concerned you will have plenty most any thing

475/480
02-16-2009, 02:27 PM
You might go to the group buy section there is a Lee 6 cavity Group Buy .503-375gr mould running,cost is $75 per mould, delivery time is 7-10 months.

Sean

69daytona
02-16-2009, 04:45 PM
For brass for the .50 check the swappin and sell section, I got 500 once fired corbon cases for 150 bucks.
There was a group buy on here a few months ago for a 375gr keith style mould, I got in on that one for light target loads. I have one of Lee's 440gr moulds and it throws a nice bullet.
I you want real nice heavy bullets contact Ranger Rick, he make them from a nice 400gr spire point(extremly fast and accurate to 700gr WFNGC. my favorites from him are the 400 spire point and the 600gr WFN, I have the 600 going over 1800fps and its a fun handfull.

TDC
02-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks everyone!!

I've got a lot of new information to digest and learn... I don't believe I've ever been a member of a board where the group knowledge base is so extensive and the willingness to share info and experiences so generous.

I'm in the process of completing a mold purchase with a member for the .41 mold. I'll be following up on suggestions provided for the .50.

Great board!! Thanks again, guys...:drinks:

Terry

Boomer Mikey
02-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Gas checks aren't necessary for most 41 Magnum loads. The RCBS 210 grain mold is a good one and available.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=190050

http://media.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/StaticPages/highres/190050.jpg

Have fun,

Boomer :Fire:

TDC
02-23-2009, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Boomer Mikey,

I want to buy that exact mold, but a little later down the road..

Love that caliber!! I already have a Lee 195 gr and very soon a 410610. Buying another mold in .41 caliber is going to be dependent on how much lead I can scrounge up. Supplies are drying up quickly in my area...

I'm still looking for .50 gas checks. I hope a GP occurs soon for these, or, maybe a softening of the $50.00+ price from some major distributors... I'm not holding my breath.....

TC

Dan Cash
02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
LBT. It is the no fooling real deal.