PDA

View Full Version : Saw a new method on mold storage-salsa jars!

JRD
11-16-2023, 09:41 AM
A friend just picked up a stash of molds in a package deal and asked me to help figure out what they were.
What struck me most was the method of storing the mold blocks. Whomever they came from had put a single mold block wrapped in VCI paper into a salsa jar along with a desiccant pack, put the lid on, and then labelled the lids.

I'd be a little leery about storing sharp cornered steel blocks in glass jars, but the airtight containers with VCI paper and desiccant isn't a bad long term storage idea.

lancem
11-16-2023, 09:49 AM
I've always used a plastic tackle box with VCI paper, going on 20 years no problems and they are easy to get to and store easily under the bench.

Winger Ed.
11-16-2023, 01:04 PM
Years ago, I didn't store a mold properly, and one ruined from rust.
I got a little mad and took the others and put them in jars filled with motor oil.

It's a bit of a mess to clean and use them afterwards,,,,, but no more rust!

ACC
11-16-2023, 01:40 PM
What in the world is VCI paper?

ACC

sundog
11-16-2023, 01:41 PM
A few years ago I had several molds left on the casting bench in the barn for an extended period of very damp weather with temperature swings. End result - - lots of surface rust. They have all cleaned up just fine with 24-hour bath in Evapo-rust and still produce good bullets. They all live in the reloading room in the house now when not in use.

lancem
11-16-2023, 03:21 PM

ACC

It is a paper that is coated with a compound that off gasses and prevents rust.
https://www.amazon.com/VCI-Paper-Sheets-inches-Anti-Corrosion/dp/B0CBSXBD1L/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=vci+paper&qid=1700162427&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

lancem
11-16-2023, 03:23 PM
I will also have to admit that I have switched to brass molds and am never going back to aluminum or steel. Now if I could just afford to replace my steel and aluminum molds that I already have with brass, well one can dream...

Winger Ed.
11-16-2023, 03:34 PM

ACC

It's that brown paper you see some things packed with instead of the cilica packs with the beads that look like tapioca.