PDA

View Full Version : what Marlin did during war?

ascast
11-15-2023, 02:31 PM
wrong catogory ? please chgange
anyway-
I was daydreaming at work last night and I realized I have never heard of any Marlin stuff in either WWar. Anybody got any clues? I know they owned the Ideal 310 stuff for the first ar years,more less.
just curious

Der Gebirgsjager
11-15-2023, 02:44 PM
I believe that they made machine guns and barrels for a variety of weapons.

DG

M-Tecs
11-15-2023, 02:54 PM
https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/celebrating-150-years-of-marlin-firearms/386310
The War Effort
In April 1915, with World War I just six months old, Marlin was approached on a contract for 100,000 7x57 Mauser rifles. Marlin President Mahlon Marlin demurred, believing such an order was too large to deliver in a timely manner. But Marlin would not stay out of the war. In December 1915, the Marlin Fire Arms Company was acquired by a syndicate and the Marlin Arms Corporation was formed, with the name soon changed to Marlin-*Rockwell. Marlin was headed by Albert Rockwell from 1915 to 1920.

Part of the arrangement was an initial contract to produce 12,000 1914 Colt machine guns. The so-called “potato digger” was significantly improved into the 1917 Marlin-*Rockwell machine gun. Marlin became one of the largest producers of machine guns, making both Colt and Browning 1918 guns for aircraft use. In 1918, they received a contract for 20,000 Browning Automatic Rifles (BAR), delivering 16,000 by the end of the war. During World War I, Marlin-*Rockwell produced more than 60,000 machine guns and Browning Automatic Rifles (BAR).

During World War II, virtually all manufacturing facilities focused on the war effort. Marlin manufactured about 15,000 United Defense M42 sub-machine guns, but the majority of the wartime manufacture was parts. Hundreds of thousands of stocks, handguards, and barrels for the M1 carbine, barrel assemblies for the Garand, and various parts for both aircraft and small arms were made. During the Korean War, Marlin tooled up again, producing Garand and carbine parts, and thousands of barrels for the M3 sub-machine gun. Many World War II parts are not marked as made by Marlin, but carbine barrels and all barrels made during the Korean era are stamped “MARLIN”.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/at-the-range-with-the-marlin-ud-42-smg/

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/marlin-7mg-aka-model-1917-aircraft-machine-gun/

15meter
11-15-2023, 06:54 PM
Got an M1 Carbine with a Marlin barrel.

Rockindaddy
11-15-2023, 07:31 PM
I enjoy shooting my Marlin 1917 Potato Digger in 30-06 on the original ground mount. Great gun!!

Bazoo
11-15-2023, 07:46 PM
https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/celebrating-150-years-of-marlin-firearms/386310
The War Effort
In April 1915, with World War I just six months old, Marlin was approached on a contract for 100,000 7x57 Mauser rifles. Marlin President Mahlon Marlin demurred, believing such an order was too large to deliver in a timely manner. But Marlin would not stay out of the war. In December 1915, the Marlin Fire Arms Company was acquired by a syndicate and the Marlin Arms Corporation was formed, with the name soon changed to Marlin-*Rockwell. Marlin was headed by Albert Rockwell from 1915 to 1920.

Part of the arrangement was an initial contract to produce 12,000 1914 Colt machine guns. The so-called “potato digger” was significantly improved into the 1917 Marlin-*Rockwell machine gun. Marlin became one of the largest producers of machine guns, making both Colt and Browning 1918 guns for aircraft use. In 1918, they received a contract for 20,000 Browning Automatic Rifles (BAR), delivering 16,000 by the end of the war. During World War I, Marlin-*Rockwell produced more than 60,000 machine guns and Browning Automatic Rifles (BAR).

During World War II, virtually all manufacturing facilities focused on the war effort. Marlin manufactured about 15,000 United Defense M42 sub-machine guns, but the majority of the wartime manufacture was parts. Hundreds of thousands of stocks, handguards, and barrels for the M1 carbine, barrel assemblies for the Garand, and various parts for both aircraft and small arms were made. During the Korean War, Marlin tooled up again, producing Garand and carbine parts, and thousands of barrels for the M3 sub-machine gun. Many World War II parts are not marked as made by Marlin, but carbine barrels and all barrels made during the Korean era are stamped “MARLIN”.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/at-the-range-with-the-marlin-ud-42-smg/

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/marlin-7mg-aka-model-1917-aircraft-machine-gun/

Very informative. I had no idea what Marlin did during either world war. Thank you for sharing.

beemer
11-15-2023, 07:56 PM
I have read that 30-30 barrels on the early 336 Marlin's were left over 30 cal blanks from war time contracts.

compass will
11-16-2023, 08:10 AM
I have read that 30-30 barrels on the early 336 Marlin's were left over 30 cal blanks from war time contracts.I have a 336 first model year and did not know this.

Bigslug
11-16-2023, 09:56 AM
I believe their .30 cal machinegun was the standard rear-facing defensive armament for the U.S. dive- and/or torpedo-bombers - I may be wrong on that one.

pietro
11-16-2023, 11:14 AM
Got an M1 Carbine with a Marlin barrel.

FWIW, Marlin-stamped barrels were only made during the Korean War - before that, Marlin made all their military parts w/o the "Marlin" ID on them.

Bill Allen
11-16-2023, 11:51 AM
Thanks I always find the history of some of this so interesting but mostly untold

hoodat
11-16-2023, 12:11 PM
Kind of makes you realize that since the inception of "modern manufacturing" that most machines, including firearms are the assembly of parts made by the most suitable (often economical) contractor.

And it only makes sense. Why would a company which specializes in the machining of basic action components such as receivers, bolts, and barrels, also try to produce their own --- springs for instance. or stocks.??

I've always thought is was cool to find rifles manufactured by typewriter or sewing machine companies. jd

john.k
11-16-2023, 05:19 PM
Common in WW2 trucks and machines were "Marlin-Rockwell" ball and roller bearings.

jimb16
11-16-2023, 08:37 PM
Marlin made thousands of stocks for M1 carbines and most are marked as being made by them. They also made barrels that were used by Standard products and NPM. These were undated but definitely WWII.

farmbif
11-16-2023, 09:18 PM
in ww2 there were all kinds of companies making guns and gun parts. ive seen some of the "marlin" produced ww2 stuff in displays but could never afford any of it.
the one ww2 relic ive always kept an eye out for is an m1 made by international harvester

Bigslug
11-17-2023, 11:13 AM
I've always thought is was cool to find rifles manufactured by typewriter or sewing machine companies. jd

My Granddad flew B26 Marauders over the Mediterranean theater, which spurred me to some research on that aircraft. Turns out it was the first airplane to use the silver stamped sheet metal flexible ammo feed chutes for their .50 caliber defensive armament. . .and those feed chutes were initially developed and manufactured by the Lionel toy train company.

I always thought that someone should have mentioned that fact to Hitler: "Listen buddy, we've got even our toy choo-choo people lining up to kick your butt. What hope do you REALLY think you have at this venture?":lol:

TNsailorman
11-17-2023, 01:02 PM
Maybe a fuzzy memory here, but I seem to remember a BAR marked Marlin back in my day. Don't remember whether it was just the barrel so marked or the receiver. james

Bazoo
11-17-2023, 04:29 PM
My Granddad flew B26 Marauders over the Mediterranean theater, which spurred me to some research on that aircraft. Turns out it was the first airplane to use the silver stamped sheet metal flexible ammo feed chutes for their .50 caliber defensive armament. . .and those feed chutes were initially developed and manufactured by the Lionel toy train company.

I always thought that someone should have mentioned that fact to Hitler: "Listen buddy, we've got even our toy choo-choo people lining up to kick your butt. What hope do you REALLY think you have at this venture?":lol:

That's a neat factoid, thank you for sharing that.

pietro
11-17-2023, 11:19 PM
Maybe a fuzzy memory here, but I seem to remember a BAR marked Marlin back in my day. Don't remember whether it was just the barrel so marked or the receiver. james

Marlin made entire military BAR rifles - here's one from 1919:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Sl4zMtBCY

TheAbe
11-18-2023, 05:06 PM
I have a Marlin 1898 12-gauge, and to my understanding while the Winchester ‘97 was the most famous trench gun, the Marlin ‘98 (or model 19, part of the ‘98 family) and others were also used as trench guns in WW1, though in lesser quantities.