PDA

View Full Version : Percussion caps...any leads on where one could buy 100-1,000?

THE_ANTIDOTE
11-15-2023, 03:05 AM
Live in California and can not find any...anywhere. Found a couple sites, but they turned out to be bogus...one satellite search showed an empty lot next to an alley for the address. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

M-Tecs
11-15-2023, 03:08 AM
https://www.buffaloarms.com/ammunition/percussion-caps-primers.html

Sasquatch-1
11-15-2023, 08:40 AM
Check with John at
BACK CREEK GUN SHOP, INC
863 Chestnut Grove Road * Winchester, VA 22603
PHONE: (540) 888 3349 -
E-MAIL: bcgsi@hughes.net

He is right next door to Ft. Shannondoah, in Winchester Va. When the NSSA has a function, he will have a line that stretches for several hundred yards.

MrWolf
11-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Check with John at
BACK CREEK GUN SHOP, INC
863 Chestnut Grove Road * Winchester, VA 22603
PHONE: (540) 888 3349 -
E-MAIL: bcgsi@hughes.net

He is right next door to Ft. Shannondoah, in Winchester Va. When the NSSA has a function, he will have a line that stretches for several hundred yards.

Thanks for that. Knew I had been to a place a few years ago but couldn't remember the name. Happen to be heading to Winchester for my gf's doc appointment in about 30 mins.

armoredman
11-15-2023, 04:51 PM
I checked Scheels, since they have everything else - the closest Scheels with #11s in stock is in freaking Colorado Springs! :(

Sasquatch-1
11-16-2023, 08:29 AM
Thanks for that. Knew I had been to a place a few years ago but couldn't remember the name. Happen to be heading to Winchester for my gf's doc appointment in about 30 mins.

I hope you called in advance. John is a working farmer and only opens the shop when there are N-SSA activities going on or by appointment.

freakonaleash
11-16-2023, 08:36 AM
Saw some for sale at a local gunshow last week end. 17 bucks a hundred.

MrWolf
11-16-2023, 09:33 AM
I hope you called in advance. John is a working farmer and only opens the shop when there are N-SSA activities going on or by appointment.

Turns out we had to go straight home anyway. She got a steroid shot in her back and was in a bit of pain. Thanks for the warning on calling in advance.

jjamna
11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Local Dunhams Sports has 20 or so tins. 100 per tin I think. Their website say's
$11.99 a hundred.

AZ Muzzleloaders
11-17-2023, 07:20 PM
Haven't seen a cap for sale in Arizona for over 3 years.

armoredman
11-17-2023, 07:49 PM
Last time I bought any in AZ, it was at Thunderstick, I think, and it was $25 for 100.

Baja_Traveler
11-17-2023, 10:59 PM
Https://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com/back-powder/

My go-to black powder source has RWS caps in stock

BLAHUT
11-17-2023, 11:16 PM
Live in California and can not find any...anywhere. Found a couple sites, but they turned out to be bogus...one satellite search showed an empty lot next to an alley for the address. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last time I was in the store sportsman's warehouse had bunches on the shelf ?

Gtrubicon
11-17-2023, 11:32 PM
I just make my own, the only place I look for caps is my reloading bench. The kit is affordable and it’s very simple to produce caps that work on my rifles and pistols.

jim 44-40
11-18-2023, 08:32 AM
If you hone the tip of a #11 nipple down a little bit you can use ring caps.Here they sell them in Dollar stores cheap. Little time consuming cutting them off ,but they will work.

Sasquatch-1
11-18-2023, 08:58 AM
If you hone the tip of a #11 nipple down a little bit you can use ring caps.Here they sell them in Dollar stores cheap. Little time consuming cutting them off ,but they will work.

I could see how you could cut almost through the connecting plastic and be able to use it like a capper. Cap the nipple and pull to break it from the rest. This might not work with a revolver.

Idz
11-18-2023, 10:32 AM
Its pretty easy to make caps that work as well as commercial. There are several threads on how to make them. Here's one:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?274339-Guide-to-making-percussion-caps&highlight=percussion+caps

Boerrancher
11-18-2023, 12:57 PM

I had to do this during the first Obama Term when everything got hard to find. As soon as they became available again I bought 2k worth, and threw them in an ammo can. I only use them for my 32 cal Crockett rifle but it is my plinking and woods walking gun. As I use the caps I have replaced them, until the last 2-3 years where I haven’t found any, so I need to find some to replace what I have used. I want whichever one of my grandkids decide they like shooting the Holy Black when they get older to have a lifetime supply.

hc18flyer
11-19-2023, 08:00 PM
My brother picked some up for me at the Dunhams Sports in Fremont, NE. They were outrageously expensive $12. per hundred, but I am set for several years! I hope I can get my busy Grandson out shooting before our December muzzleloader season, here in Nebraska? hc18flyer

LAGS
11-19-2023, 09:21 PM
I am lucky.
I have about 600 factory primers.
I also make and use my own homemade primers caps.
Now the new thing I am going to try this week is, I am going to modify a few of my nipples so they fit the Plastic Toy gun caps.
I just happen to have lots of old and new nipples of three different thread sizes.
I have seen it on the net.
I am pretty sure that it will work well , and hopefully better than just using them for plinking.
So far all I can see that you have to do , Is put the nipple in a rod coupler of the same thread as the nipple.
Put the rod coupler in my drill motor.
Then file down the diameter of the nipple tip , so it will accept the plastic Toy Caps.
Many many years ago I use to use the toy caps to shoot homemade guns.
But back then , I did not reduce the nipple shank.
So the plastic cap fit on real tight and would sometimes not fire with the first strike of the hammer.
I will let you guys know how those Toy Caps work.
Those caps I can buy for about $2.00 for 70 caps.
Probably a lot less if you buy in bulk.
I bought those 600 factory caps over a 5 year period if I could find them.
Plus limits of only 200 primers are sold at a time when they are in stock.
Plus most primers that I did find were about $12.00 a hundred.

Swineherd
11-20-2023, 12:00 AM
I've ordered from addictedtoblackpoweder.com. very reasonable prices and fast shipping. Small operation, mom and pop type shop, I believe.

LAGS
11-20-2023, 06:51 PM
Well as far as using Toy Caps for primer caps.
I don't know how well this is going to go.
It seems that Nobody carries Toy Caps.
I guess I will have to order them On Line.
I found out that back in 1988.
They changed the laws and put restrictions on selling cap guns
But there may be a simple benefit to the Toy Caps if you shoot some revolvers.
If your revolver uses a #10 cap.
Those nipples might be smaller and work shooting the Toy Caps.
I have to order some toy caps and see how things work.

Chill Wills
11-20-2023, 09:38 PM
I wonder where the standards are for nipple size. What is the difference between #10 and #11 and how come we can't get the Italian pistol maker to agree on a size???? [smilie=1:

armoredman
11-20-2023, 09:49 PM
Wouldn't that be nice? Standardization for the win.
I also didn't realize that toy caps weren't available in stores anymore, but it HAS been a few decades since i owned a cap gun. Very interested to see what LAGS experiment turns up.

LAGS
11-20-2023, 09:56 PM
The shank on a #11 size nipple is about .162" diameter.
A #10 nipple shank is about .155".
You can shoot #11 caps on a #10 nipple if you pinch the base just a little when installing the cap.

Chill Wills
11-21-2023, 12:31 AM
I found this on a face book BP page. I don't know who complied this and some of the right-hand columns are a ??? But, this is interesting. It shows the Remington #10 and #11 to be different lengths only.

Maybe this is like the Black Powder F grading system. In other words, each manufacture does their own thing. I really don't know. A call to Slix-shot might shed some light on the subject.

freakonaleash
11-21-2023, 06:09 PM
I went into the "panic" with 8K. I have been buying them in rolls of 1k on and off for 40 years. I'd suggest the rest of you do the same so you don't get caught with your pants down when this happens again. Keep in mind, with the current political situation and societal attitude, they probably won't be making any more of this kind of stuff in the near future.
I have been seeing them at local gunshows for $17/hundred.

pworley1
11-21-2023, 06:20 PM
Graf's has them in stock.

LAGS
11-21-2023, 06:38 PM
Yep.
Graf's &Son has only the RWS in 250 cans in stock.
But hay.
At least they are available for about $16 per 100.
Probably plus shipping and maybe haz mat fees.

LAGS
11-21-2023, 06:46 PM
Today I picked up some Toy Plastic Cap Gun caps from Bass Pro.
I got two different styles.
One is for revolvers and one pack is for single shot rifles.
If you cut the caps off the ringed revolver caps.
They do fit on your nipple.
But so far , they do fire but very week.
Now I will try to reduce the size of the nipple tip from .166" down to .140" to slip into the single shot plastic caps.
I will keep you posted how they work.
But so far.
This does not seem like a reliable workable option.

LAGS
11-21-2023, 07:32 PM
I took a 1/4-28 threaded nipple and filed down the tip in a step down to .140" diameter.
In one of my single shot pistols, the caps fired fine and seemed strong enough to fire off the powder.
I will now have to try firing off some test loads at the range.
I wish I still had the test firing chamber I had build at my last house.
That would save me lots of time going down to the range.

Update;
I went out and test fired off some loads with powder and just a wad with no ball out in my back yard.
The primers ignited the powder.
But , Only if you took out the little paper wad in the primer cup over the priming compound.
Those paper wads fall out easy.
The pistol I was using is a single shot .45 Derringer and I was firing off 10 gr of 2f homemade powder, with those single shot cap gun caps.
I believe this whole thing Will Work.
But try it if you like.
I will continue to test fire loads in different guns to see if it is well worth the tedious time involved.
But it is a minor option if you can't find primer caps, or you just want to play with it for being able to do more plinking without using all your factory primers.
I noticed that on the Revolver toy caps.
There is a little step in the inside of the plastic cap that is probably keeping the nipple from sliding all the way in,so that is why those revolver Toy Caps don't seem to POP stronger like the single shot caps do.

armoredman
11-22-2023, 10:25 PM
That sounds very interesting - I have only a few hundred caps, so I think I will try this, when I can get a shaved nipple. Ya know, that just sounds wrong...:)

LAGS
11-22-2023, 11:12 PM
I am going to play with reshaping a nipple to fit those Toy Caps that are for the pistols.
With that little step inside the plastic cup.
I think the square tip on the unreshaped nipple catches on the plastic case.
Which prevents the nipple coming into direct contact with the priming compound to fire off the cap.
It looks like a simple fix.
Also,
Using worn nipples with a larger hole in the shaft , looks like they may fire more reliably because they are transferring the flash better down to the powder.
This looks like a good option to Re Use some of your worn nipples.

11th Corps
12-02-2023, 05:35 PM

I bought some and they work-sometimes-
Got to be careful though. they can go off with just finger pressure.

brassrat
12-03-2023, 06:52 PM
That sounds very interesting - I have only a few hundred caps, so I think I will try this, when I can get a shaved nipple. Ya know, that just sounds wrong...:)

Really wrong

but anyways I have a can or 2 of #11s ,not too far away and will save, I don't use #11 at all and my 2 #10s will last forever