PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Ruger 45 Blackhawk convertible

BK7saum
11-13-2023, 11:14 PM
Looking at picking up a 45 convertible Blackhawk in used/LNIB condition, probably 2014/2015 manufacture per serial number prefix if I remembered it correctly. It also comes in the gray plastic clamshell case.

Any issues to look out for? I plan to pin gauge the cylinders just to see where they are before purchase. I already have an N-frame 45 colt with the generous 0.456-7 throats.

I am sure I will have to segregate ammo for the two, but that isn't too big a deal.

Thanks.

Outpost75
11-14-2023, 12:01 AM
Ruger .45 throats always run tight .450-.451". Plan on sending both .45 Colt and ACP cylinders to DougGuy for honing if you want the gun to shoot well

Bad Ass Wallace
11-14-2023, 02:23 AM
My convertable had throats of 0.450" and I bought a Clymer reamer to open them up to 0.452". The 45ACP cylinder, even with that huge jump to the rifling is the most accurate pistol that I have.

Mine gets regularly used for single action (45 short colt!) matches every month.

contender1
11-14-2023, 10:18 AM
As noted,, often the throats do need "tuning" to make them shoot more accurately. Sometimes you will get one that doesn't need the throats opened. I always recommend shooting test ammo before making any modifications. Especially the .45 acp cylinder.

Otherwise,, those are excellent guns. Study it for any normal problems as you would with any gun. I'm a sucker for the Ruger .45's,, especially the convertibles. If the price is very fair,, I always figure I can correct just about anything easily.

mjac
11-14-2023, 11:08 AM
The previous owner of my Ruger 45 convertible had the acp cylinder trued to .452 by a local GS and the colt cylinder to .452 by Doug P.
I don't know if they needed it but it is the most accurate pistol that I have.

PS, I traded a M69 for it and couldn't be happier.

BK7saum
11-14-2023, 07:59 PM
Well, picked it up today. All chamber cylinder mouths measure less than 0.451. All pass a 0.450 pin gauge but not a 0.451.

BK7saum
11-14-2023, 08:12 PM
The 45acp cylinder had been shot, with minor leading in a couple of chambers. The 45 colt cylinder looks to be unfired.

Carrier
11-14-2023, 09:38 PM
My Bisley 45 Colt I have grouped more like a shotgun until I had the throats opened to .452.5 and forcing cone cut to 11 degrees. It is a tack driver with cast bullets.

DougGuy
11-14-2023, 09:38 PM
Well, picked it up today. All chamber cylinder mouths measure less than 0.451. All pass a 0.450 pin gauge but not a 0.451.

That's to be expected really, that's very common for Ruger, cylinders that tight are a multi-port sizing die. I typically hone them to .4525" for use with .452" boolits.

contender1
11-14-2023, 11:29 PM
Doug will do a fine job for you! Get them honed.

curiousgeorge
11-15-2023, 07:13 AM
Brian,
Have DougGuy open up the throats and never look back. Mine is so accurate it's scary. I also use the ACP cylinder more than the Colt these days. Traded off the automatic ACP because I got tired of looking for ejected brass. I picked up some of Starline's 45 Cowboy Special brass and load a 240 gr swc with a roll crimp. Not a 45 Colt in power but does almost everything I need with the ACP cylinder.

Enjoy it. They're great packing guns.

Sasquatch-1
11-15-2023, 08:31 AM
I don't know if this applies to the .45, but my .357 and 44 mags have problems with the base pin walking out a bit. Gets to a certain point and the cylinder locks up.

Castaway
11-15-2023, 10:01 AM
Sasquatch, I called Ruger last week with the same problem. They’re sending me a new base pin and latch. Ruger is the best in the business for backing up their product!

TurnipEaterDown
11-15-2023, 10:25 AM
I don't know if this applies to the .45, but my .357 and 44 mags have problems with the base pin walking out a bit. Gets to a certain point and the cylinder locks up.

Belt Mountain makes a Locking base pin - little allen screw. Works very well.
Long ago I bought one, hopefully still in business.
Linebaugh pins were Very similar. Never back out, never loosen.

DougGuy
11-15-2023, 10:34 AM

Wolff makes an extra power cylinder pin latch spring. I think you could get one at Brownell's or Midway.

MUSTANG
11-15-2023, 12:51 PM
Old news - But the worst Gun Trade I ever made was a Ruger 45 Colt/45 ACP I purchased new in 1977. Fantastic shooter using Govt .45 ACP Ball. .45 Colt shot well too; but back then could not afford factory and I only set up to load the .45 ACP with a Lee Wack a Mole.

I traded for a Ruger .44Mag that had been Magna Ported in 1988. Since I only shot cast Boolits then in handguns; it was constant leading. Traded it off for a Mauser 98 with scope.

Bottom Line; I would TAKE A CHANCE on another Ruger 45ACP/45LC if the opportunity arose.

waco
11-15-2023, 03:54 PM
I love my Bisley convertible. It has .451” throats all the way around both cylinders. 319982

georgerkahn
11-15-2023, 08:25 PM
Looking at picking up a 45 convertible Blackhawk in used/LNIB condition, probably 2014/2015 manufacture per serial number prefix if I remembered it correctly. It also comes in the gray plastic clamshell case.

Any issues to look out for? I plan to pin gauge the cylinders just to see where they are before purchase. I already have an N-frame 45 colt with the generous 0.456-7 throats.

I am sure I will have to segregate ammo for the two, but that isn't too big a deal.

Thanks.

Assuming you are querying re the convertible I have -- Ruger Model 5241 .45 Colt/.45ACP Flattop ss 5.5” barrel S/n 520-28xxx Cat # KNV8-455X- I have shot 90% or so the .45 Colt, and if the cylinders are not perfect -- I'm not a good enough shot to ascertain this. Vis the other 10% -- primarily when I'm low on or out of 45 Colt I put in the .45 ACP cylinder, and after maybe six shots -- I also note the revolver shoots better than I do with this cylinder as well. I had, when I bought it, coged on sending it to someone like DougGuy -- I've heard so many great things about his service!!! -- but frankly, I really haven't experienced the need.
I'd suggest you buy the revolver; take it to the range; and let the holes in the targets be your guide. :)
geo

charlie b
11-15-2023, 10:12 PM
Keep in mind I've mostly been an auto guy and have had a 1911 of some type for over 50 years.

Back in the 80's I had wanted a BH for a while. Found one for a good price (new) and it came with the acp cylinder. Shot that thing for quite a while, almost all LC. I did fire the acp cylinder a few times and it was just as accurate as the LC cylinder. But, I fired acp in my 1911's and LC in the Ruger.

The reason I got the Ruger was for a heavy .45 and it lived up to its reputation. Unfortunately my wrist and forearm started to show the results of repeated heavy loads. When I wanted something that was acp power level, I carried a 1911 so the Ruger was sold off.

If you love revolvers, I think it's an excellent choice. Used to be acp ammo was easier to find and cheaper than LC ammo. Doesn't seem to be as true these days.

DougGuy
11-15-2023, 10:14 PM
I'd suggest you buy the revolver; take it to the range; and let the holes in the targets be your guide. :)
geo

Buy the revolver and see if your boolits will even go in the cylinder throats from the front. THERE is your guide.

when I bought it, coged on sending it to someone like DougGuy -- I've heard so many great things about his service!!!

The reason my work has received so many glowing reviews is that revolvers that I have worked on the cylinder(s) and hammer shoot MUCH improved groups when compared with pre-throating work groups. THERE is your proof!

gc45
11-15-2023, 10:30 PM
The must be 40-50 Blackhawk 45's around our gun club, all with throat jobs too and they shoot really great. One is mine and shooting small groups with good handloads and cast boolits. Actually it got boring because it shoots so well so, I bought a 44 Spec flat top and now working with that one but got lucky as the throats are all equal at .431 and having a great trigger besides! Very accurate with Skeeter loads plus reduced loads of 231.

Sasquatch-1
11-16-2023, 08:36 AM

I bought the Belt Mountain pins and locks many years ago. Solved the problem. I have also read (and it may have been on this forum) that you can file the groove in the base pin a little deeper and that helps.

georgerkahn
11-18-2023, 08:33 AM
Buy the revolver and see if your boolits will even go in the cylinder throats from the front. THERE is your guide.

The reason my work has received so many glowing reviews is that revolvers that I have worked on the cylinder(s) and hammer shoot MUCH improved groups when compared with pre-throating work groups. THERE is your proof!

Yes, yes, and yes! (???) Well, I PM'd Doug Guy and had quite the delightful :) conversation/education. The result? In a bit I'm planning on doing a major (for me) expedition to get to the back of the safe; find my Ruger 5241 and remove both cylinders, and post them to him (along with a cheque). My thoughts vis my earlier post in this thread included the, "if it ain't broke -- why fix it?". E.g., the revolver had/has been shooting OK, so "why?".
BUT, after a delightful conversation with Doug -- this has changed to "why not?" :) :) :)
geo

kerplode
11-18-2023, 12:15 PM
Yes, yes, and yes! (???) Well, I PM'd Doug Guy and had quite the delightful :) conversation/education. The result? In a bit I'm planning on doing a major (for me) expedition to get to the back of the safe; find my Ruger 5241 and remove both cylinders, and post them to him (along with a cheque). My thoughts vis my earlier post in this thread included the, "if it ain't broke -- why fix it?". E.g., the revolver had/has been shooting OK, so "why?".
BUT, after a delightful conversation with Doug -- this has changed to "why not?" :) :) :)
geo

Trust me...You won't be disappointed!

He's done 5 cylinders for me to date and all of them shoot amazingly well. In fact, I have one more that I need to get over to him at some point in the near future.

MSD MIke
11-18-2023, 09:23 PM
I reamed my own cylinders, all were undersized in both cylinders. In my particular gun, 45ACP with a 200 grain SWC with 4-5 grains of Bullseye is most accurate.

Mike

georgerkahn
11-19-2023, 02:08 PM
Trust me...You won't be disappointed!

He's done 5 cylinders for me to date and all of them shoot amazingly well. In fact, I have one more that I need to get over to him at some point in the near future.

I had unforeseen transportation to local Post Office Saturday morning... so my two cylinders are in what I hope to be a gorilla-proof taped insured SFR box headed his way as I type this! :) With my increasing lack of mobility I have pretty much been in a slide from shooting long guns at range to now, pretty much all handguns. (A big plus with revolvers for me is not having the need to retrieve brass from ground!)
From what I've read/heard of DougGuy's work -- I'm pretty certain my Blackhawk 45AC)/45 Colt WILL be my #1 firearm at the range, God willing, in 2024! I have a Montado Ruger which could use improvement...I'm already thinking on sending that one's .357 cylinder to him, later.
geo

tward
11-19-2023, 05:40 PM
+1 on the belt mountain base pins. They are slightly tighter and do not walk on you. Had one for my 44 Blackhawk and one for my stainless Bearcat. Tim

fordwannabe
11-19-2023, 06:12 PM
Well George I guess we will see how much farther you are from North Carolina than I am, as I also sent Doug a set of cylinders Saturday morning. One from a RBH in 45 LC (5.5 inch)and one from a RSBH (4 5/8). What load are you guys using to get this great accuracy from your 45’s?

mnewcomb59
11-19-2023, 08:30 PM
After Doug opened up my cylinder throats and I firelapped for 12 shots, EVERY SINGLE LOAD shoots under 2" at 25 yards with a few exceptions. Slow 350 grain bullets don't shoot well. Sloppy loaded ACPs don't shoot well if the bullet is loaded with runout or if any lead gets scraped when seating. Outside of that, anything you can cobble together will shoot good enough. Pick your bullet weight and desired velocity, and your first load will shoot 2" or less at 25.

fordwannabe
11-19-2023, 11:13 PM
That’s good to know

DougGuy
11-21-2023, 09:55 AM
That’s good to know

fordwannabe please clear some space in your inbox it is full and cannot accept any more messages.

fordwannabe
11-21-2023, 09:57 AM
Sorry Doug. Done!