PDA

View Full Version : Lever gun prices

Bad Ass Wallace
11-13-2023, 07:26 PM
I notice that Winchester 1892's are fetching very high prices s/h, $1400-1600. These days it is getting harder and harder to source one with a good shootable bore needed for cast boolits. These pair of 38/40's were made in the first year (4 digit Ser No's) and over a lifetime of collecting and swapping I have a full set comprising 44/40 (1896) 38/40 (1892) 32/20 (1908 and 25/20 (1922).

https://i.imgur.com/5cXpWqfl.jpg

sigep1764
11-13-2023, 08:15 PM
Very cool collection! All levers have about doubled since 2000 in my neck of the woods. Could be ant number of reasons, but I suspect that they aren’t making as many as they used to, they are wood and steel which is usually more expensive than plastic and steel, etc. I have two 94s, one 336, and two 22lrs. I don’t think any of them are going anywhere.

Rockingkj
11-13-2023, 08:41 PM
In the grand scheme of things lot of $ but when you think one of the new uberti 92’s is $1400 + I would just as soon have an original winchester. Liking my Win 92 rifle in 25-20 better every day.

Kai
11-13-2023, 09:23 PM
What someone is asking and what someone is willing to pay are 2 different things. I agree asking prices have definately gone up but many of those guns go unsold. As someone looking to thin my collection finding buyers that are willing to pay the asking price (a fair price) is not so easy. Guess it could be this wonderful economy we are currently experiencing.

barnetmill
11-14-2023, 12:19 AM
Lever guns in general these days just seemed over priced with exceptions for the mossbergs.

dverna
11-14-2023, 07:21 AM
What someone is asking and what someone is willing to pay are 2 different things. I agree asking prices have definately gone up but many of those guns go unsold. As someone looking to thin my collection finding buyers that are willing to pay the asking price (a fair price) is not so easy. Guess it could be this wonderful economy we are currently experiencing.

I agree. I find GunBroker completed sales is a decent way to find what people are paying for stuff. I have held back selling off many of my lever actions because prices have fizzled a bit.

smkummer
11-14-2023, 09:00 AM
SASS and the series Yellowstone have bumped levergun prices. Some of us are old enough to remember what the Dirty Harry series did to S&W29-44 mag. prices. I too looked long and hard for Win. 92 in 32-20 that wasn’t shot out. Found a 1923 rifle that has a great bore and shoots small groups. And wasn’t way overpriced.

FergusonTO35
11-14-2023, 10:16 AM
Lever guns in general these days just seemed over priced with exceptions for the mossbergs.

I assume you're talking about the dearly departed 464. Excellent rifles, unfortunately I would imagine factory support on them won't last much longer. Because they really weren't made that long you aren't going to easily find spare parts on GB or Fleabay.

barnetmill
11-14-2023, 01:02 PM
I assume you're talking about the dearly departed 464. Excellent rifles, unfortunately I would imagine factory support on them won't last much longer. Because they really weren't made that long you aren't going to easily find spare parts on GB or Fleabay.

Mossberg for 2023 https://mossbergarmsusa.com/rifles/lever-action-rifles/

It seems they are still for sale. Has the factory stopped making them?

Lists319949 the below lever guns.

Shawlerbrook
11-14-2023, 02:58 PM
Pretty much everything in the shooting sports has doubled in the last few years being lead by primers and ammo.

barnetmill
11-14-2023, 03:15 PM
Pretty much everything in the shooting sports has doubled in the last few years being lead by primers and ammo.

Truth for sure. More than a million guns has been sold monthly for the last 4 years. I buy new ammunition because I need it. I am not buying any new guns for now unless I absolutely need one.

Kai
11-14-2023, 03:52 PM
Truth for sure. More than a million guns has been sold monthly for the last 4 years. I buy new ammunition because I need it. I am not buying any new guns for now unless I absolutely need one.

Oh come now, we all know "need" has nothing to do with it! If high prices are going to keep you from purchasing a new gun then I suppose you can consider your collection complete. You can bet gun prices are never coming down. If anything they will only increase in price.

barnetmill
11-14-2023, 04:09 PM
Oh come now, we all know "need" has nothing to do with it! If high prices are going to keep you from purchasing a new gun then I suppose you can consider your collection complete. You can bet gun prices are never coming down. If anything they will only increase in price.

i am older and I can not take my weapons to Valhalla or where ever I might be or not going to. I have guns that I have not shot in years. I am not buying more guns without a reason. If I collect guns it more about system or operating principle such as like the AK system and one example is enough. I do not not need an example from every country factory that made them. One 94 winchester is enough and to me quite similar to a 92, 86, 95, or 71.

Kai
11-14-2023, 04:56 PM
i am older and I can not take my weapons to Valhalla or where ever I might be or not going to. I have guns that I have not shot in years. I am not buying more guns without a reason. If I collect guns it more about system or operating principle such as like the AK system and one example is enough. I do not not need an example from every country factory that made them. One 94 winchester is enough and to me quite similar to a 92, 86, 95, or 71.

I hear ya. I'm in the process of thinning out the safe as like you said, you can't take em with ya. Being a winchester levergun collector i do have to beg to differ with you about having only one 94 and other than having a lever, the models you mention differ significantly from each other. But it's all good, we are all here with a common interest.

Bazoo
11-14-2023, 05:21 PM
I think there's been a resurgence in the interest of lever guns because many people see them as less scary and more practical than an AR15, and want a versatile rifle suited for all-purpose use. Many people that grew up in the city or just have hobby land have figured out what the ranchers and farmers already knew, that a good lever gun is a trusted companion and valuable tool.

The reason people are taking a liking to the Winchester 92 and 94, as well as the Marlin 94 and 336 is that the cartridges they are chamber for fall into this all-purpose category. Sure, a 30-30 is better suited to somethings than a 44-40, but in the end, the same things are asked of the rifles and the same results are obtained.

Kai
11-14-2023, 05:28 PM
I think there's been a resurgence in the interest of lever guns because many people see them as less scary and more practical than an AR15, and want a versatile rifle suited for all-purpose use. Many people that grew up in the city or just have hobby land have figured out what the ranchers and farmers already knew, that a good lever gun is a trusted companion and valuable tool.

The reason people are taking a liking to the Winchester 92 and 94, as well as the Marlin 94 and 336 is that the cartridges they are chamber for fall into this all-purpose category. Sure, a 30-30 is better suited to somethings than a 44-40, but in the end, the same things are asked of the rifles and the same results are obtained.

Hey Bazoo I took your advice and had it framed.

https://i.postimg.cc/NF94D3mk/received-3030004687135079-1.jpg

barnetmill
11-14-2023, 06:03 PM
I hear ya. I'm in the process of thinning out the safe as like you said, you can't take em with ya. Being a winchester levergun collector i do have to beg to differ with you about having only one 94 and other than having a lever, the models you mention differ significantly from each other. But it's all good, we are all here with a common interest.
Now a toogle link differs significantly from the browning designs that are locked by a bar of steel that is locked into the receiver that blocks the rear of the bolt. Now there is are variations as to how it is done between various models, but the principal of the actions to my knowledge are the same. If I were to get another, it would be toggle link since uses a different principle, but it is also true that I am not are real collector and you sir are. And more power to you.

HWooldridge
11-14-2023, 07:03 PM
I grew up around more lever guns than any other type. The largest calibers were 38-55 and 32-40, with several 30-30’s thrown in. My dad, grandfather and uncles didn’t really like bolt actions, so levers were always more desirable. My first rifle was a Marlin model 39 in .22 and I graduated to a model 94 Winchester in 30-30 when I was big enough to hold it.

Bazoo
11-14-2023, 08:36 PM
Hey Bazoo I took your advice and had it framed.

https://i.postimg.cc/NF94D3mk/received-3030004687135079-1.jpg

Wow man that's cool.

farmbif
11-14-2023, 09:43 PM
the only gun I ever bought that the price I could actually sell it for was less than what I paid is the original ruger sr556 piston operated AR. it cost me $1600 and from what others have sold for I would lose money on it. but every lever gun I ever bought could realistically be sold at profit, even 2x, 3x and up to 8x what I paid for it. I sold couple like 2 years ago one was a 336 rc 30/30 I paid $80, put a new rear sight on it and sold for $675, the other was a plain Jane Henry in 22mag, paid $400, sold for $575. or the sold prices between the two are mixed up the other way I cant remember.

barnetmill
11-14-2023, 09:50 PM
the only gun I ever bought that the price I could actually sell it for was less than what I paid is the original ruger sr556 piston operated AR. it cost me $1600 and from what others have sold for I would lose money on it. but every lever gun I ever bought could realistically be sold at profit, even 2x, 3x and up to 8x what I paid for it. I sold couple like 2 years ago one was a 336 rc 30/30 I paid $80, put a new rear sight on it and sold for $675, the other was a plain Jane Henry in 22mag, paid $400, sold for $575. or the sold prices between the two are mixed up the other way I cant remember.
Used lever guns were not that long ago at about $200 or so. What would a $60 yr old JM marlin go for now in VG condition.

Bloodhound689
11-17-2023, 07:31 AM
Used lever guns were not that long ago at about $200 or so. What would a $60 yr old JM marlin go for now in VG condition.

Im curious about that as well. I have a 1957 336 which is my favorite gun that I own. I bought it about 5 years ago in like new condition. Only mark I could find was a small patch of bluing loss where it had been propped up against something.

As of late my Marlins have been out to the range more than any of my other guns. Love these levers