PDA

View Full Version : LEE autodrum questions

Bubba w/a 45/70
11-12-2023, 08:26 PM
I have a LEE autodrum powder measurer that has given me good service for a few years. I liked it so much I got rid of my Hornady powder measurer (unused) from my Lock 'n Load progressive after I bought one.

Now for my rub......

It has functioned perfectly for pistol duties, all the time, every time.

I changed the necessary parts to swap over to 223 (not the first time I have used it for this caliber)...the riser and drum (which was preset from previous use)......and now I cannot get it to throw consistent charges. I can be off enough to make the RCBS beam scale not even move....with 24.0 grains of TAC.

Any suggestions?.....

FWIW, I can tell you that the drum isn't going to top dead center, nor top dead bottom either.....and if I adjust the riser any more it is out of adjustment.

Thanks.

Bubba w/a 45/70
11-12-2023, 08:31 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that it can hit the 24.0 grains perfectly when it wants to.......

ukrifleman
11-13-2023, 08:06 AM
It could be static that is the cause.
I suggest that you wash the hopper out in warm soapy water, dry it off and then run some powder through before throwing charges.
ukrifleman.

jetinteriorguy
11-15-2023, 04:45 PM
It’s normal for the Autodrum to not go completely up or down due to the inherent lack of precision in the gear train. One way to enhance a full drop is to tap the powder drop body a few times with a dowel both as it’s filling and as it’s emptying. A little extra vibration may be all it takes. Another idea would be to add a powder baffle to the hopper for more consistent drops.

C.F.Plinker
11-15-2023, 07:38 PM
Are you giving lt enough time to completely fill and to completely empty on each stroke? IIRC Lee suggests 1 second for each 10 grains for both filling and emptying.