PDA

View Full Version : Iceland Serious Immediate Volcanic Threat Imminent, Evacuations Underway

DougGuy
11-11-2023, 12:13 AM
Since October, there have been over 24,000 seismic events, now "swarms" of mini quakes, gaining intensity, the town of Grindavik has been evacuated, all signs point to a significant event that is soon to occur.

Icelandic authorities have declared a state of emergency after a series of powerful earthquakes rocked the country’s southwestern Reykjanes peninsula, signalling the increased likelihood of a volcanic eruption in the region.

“The National police chief … declares a state of emergency for civil defence due to the intense earthquake (activity) at Sundhnjukagigar, north of Grindavik,” the Department of Civil Protection and Emergency Management said in a statement.

“Earthquakes can become larger than those that have occurred and this series of events could lead to an eruption,” the administration warned.
Guests bathe at the Blue Lagoon geothermal spa

The Icelandic Met Office (IMO) said an eruption could take place “in several days”.

The village of Grindavik, home to about 4,000 people, is located 1.86 miles (3km) south-west of the area where Friday’s earthquake swarm was registered. It has evacuation plans in place in case of an eruption.

At about 5.30pm GMT, two strong earthquakes were felt as far as the capital, Reykjavik, 40km away, and along much of the country’s southern coast, causing windows and household objects to shake.

The biggest tremor, north of Grindavik, had a magnitude of 5.2, according to preliminary IMO figures.

Police closed a road running north-south to Grindavik on Friday after it was damaged by the earthquakes.

Since late October, 24,000 tremors have been registered on the peninsula, according to the IMO, with “a dense swarm” of nearly 800 quakes registered between midnight and 2pm GMT on Friday.

The IMO noted an accumulation of magma underground at a depth of about 3.1 miles (5km). Should it start moving towards the surface it could lead to a volcanic eruption.

“The most likely scenario is that it will take several days rather than hours for magma to reach the surface,” it said. “If a fissure were to appear where the seismic activity is at its highest now, lava would flow to the south-east and to the west, but not towards Grindavik.”

Since 2021, three eruptions have taken place on the Reykjanes peninsula, in March 2021, August 2022 and July 2023. Those three were located far from any infrastructure or populated areas.

On Thursday, the Blue Lagoon, located near Grindavik and famed for its geothermal spas and luxury hotels, closed as a precaution after another earthquake swarm.

Also nearby is the Svartsengi geothermal plant, the main supplier of electricity and water to 30,000 residents on the Reykjanes peninsula. It has contingency plans in place to protect the plant and its workers in the event of an eruption.

Iceland has 33 active volcanic systems, the highest number in Europe.

cwtebay
11-11-2023, 12:25 AM
You don't want that for anyone, my sister left Reykjavik this morning because of the threat. She has been through far too many to stay. I pray that this comes and goes without event.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Wag
11-11-2023, 09:15 AM
First I'm hearing of this. That's some frightening things going on there.

--Wag--

Good Cheer
11-11-2023, 09:30 AM
Increased volcanism frequently happens when the Earth receives the electro-mechanical effects of more abrupt solar minimums. The whys of why that would be is debated but any more that it is seems to be on the way towards a generally accepted status. Give it another decade and it'll be one of those "Oh everybody knows that!" kinda things. Meanwhile though, makes me wonder how much the particulates are going to increase the cooling effects into the 30's and 40's.

Bmi48219
11-11-2023, 08:11 PM
Iceland is one of the earth’s youngest land masses. It sits on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge where the American and Eurasia plates meet. Instead of grinding against each other, these plates are moving away from each other, pushing the American plate west. That westward thrust causes the American plate to grind against the Pacific plate, causing in our west coast earthquakes. The outward movement of the American and Eurasia plates allows magma to rise into the widening gap, and Iceland, astride the gap, grows up to 5 cm annually.
The island of Surtsey began as an undersea volcano off the southern coast of Iceland. It emerged from the sea in 1963, three years after the manga first broke through the seabed.

https://earthsky.org/earth/surtsey-and-the-birth-of-new-islands/

MaryB
11-12-2023, 12:50 AM
Increased volcanism frequently happens when the Earth receives the electro-mechanical effects of more abrupt solar minimums. The whys of why that would be is debated but any more that it is seems to be on the way towards a generally accepted status. Give it another decade and it'll be one of those "Oh everybody knows that!" kinda things. Meanwhile though, makes me wonder how much the particulates are going to increase the cooling effects into the 30's and 40's.

We are almost at solar maximum...

stubshaft
11-12-2023, 02:23 AM
I saw that on YouTube and hope there are no casualties if it does erupt.