PDA

View Full Version : Labradar on sale

Minerat
11-10-2023, 03:19 PM
Juts got this email notice that Labradar units are on sale. If you are looking at getting one the savings is pretty good.

https://buymylabradar.com/products/labradar?mc_cid=d1c1daf5e3&mc_eid=8b41034ba2

dannyd
11-10-2023, 03:34 PM
That's because Garmin just came out with a smaller unit that is thought to better.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/771164

Yep, 499.99 has become the new price, Brownells has them for that price.

MUSTANG
11-10-2023, 03:41 PM
I "Bit the Bullet" 18 months ago and bought the Lab Radar for $650.00; and it does not have the Cell Phone Interface feature. Ohhhh well. I was able to get 18 months of use for a higher price. Would love to test one of the Garmins before I bought one.

Minerat
11-10-2023, 03:52 PM
I saw the Garmin last week and If I did not have my Labradar I'd go that way. Don't get me wrong I really like the one I have and it has Bluetooth but their app really sucks. Lots of bugs and only works about half the time.

dannyd
11-10-2023, 04:16 PM
I saw the Garmin last week and If I did not have my Labradar I'd go that way. Don't get me wrong I really like the one I have and it has Bluetooth but their app really sucks. Lots of bugs and only works about half the time.

The app may start getting better now that Garmin is on the scene.

Shawlerbrook
11-10-2023, 07:24 PM
I think I will keep using what I have ( magnetospeed) and wait for the new Garmins to come down in price.

dannyd
11-10-2023, 08:59 PM
I think I will keep using what I have ( magnetospeed) and wait for the new Garmins to come down in price.

The magneto's are starting to come down because of the Garmin's.

Kraschenbirn
11-11-2023, 01:05 PM
Has anyone actually seen/used one of those new Garmin chronos?? Several weeks ago, when I first checked the Garmin website after seeing an online article, the price was shown as $599.99 with delivery in "8 to 12 weeks." Just look at Garmin site again and delivery is still "8 to 12 weeks." Due to some 'product support' issues, haven't too thrilled with Garmin lately so I'm wondering when their chronos will actually be available.

Bill

M-Tecs
11-11-2023, 01:44 PM
Personally no. Some friends have them. So far, they are very pleased with them.

W.R.Buchanan
11-18-2023, 05:58 PM
OK good deal on the Lab Radar, but the Garmin one is pretty cool. It does need some time in the Public Domain to clear up any bugs it might have as a new product.

Also can it tell you the velocities at 20,50,75,100 yards down range like Lab Radar can? that is a pretty big feature that would be very useful for Shotgun Slugs and <200 yard cartridges like .30-30's and pistols etc.

I'd like to know what my Shotgun Slugs, .45-70's and .44's and other pistol rounds are doing at 50, 100 yards just for curiosity sake. If the Garmin would do that, then great. The Lab Radar will already.

Randy

country gent
11-18-2023, 07:17 PM
I have read bpcr cartridges out to 200 yds with my lab radar, makes figuring a BC and then a drop chart a lot easier. I suspect it will read farther but 200 yds is what my range is

Minerat
11-18-2023, 09:59 PM
The app may start getting better now that Garmin is on the scene.

Let's hope so. It is a nice option when it worked. It won't work on my Samsung Note20 ultra 5G worth a hoot. Update - They have a September 2023 update that I have not tried.

M-Tecs
11-18-2023, 11:27 PM
OK good deal on the Lab Radar, but the Garmin one is pretty cool. It does need some time in the Public Domain to clear up any bugs it might have as a new product.

Also can it tell you the velocities at 20,50,75,100 yards down range like Lab Radar can? that is a pretty big feature that would be very useful for Shotgun Slugs and <200 yard cartridges like .30-30's and pistols etc.

I'd like to know what my Shotgun Slugs, .45-70's and .44's and other pistol rounds are doing at 50, 100 yards just for curiosity sake. If the Garmin would do that, then great. The Lab Radar will already.

Randy

At this point it appears it does not. https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-76BF3BAE-91A9-4BF6-9196-26F824CA8CAD/EN-US/Xero_C1_OM_EN-US.pdf

It's a doppler radar same as Lab Radar so I would think should be possible with the proper software. Maybe that will come later.

Nick Quick
11-19-2023, 09:54 AM
On the Canadian gun forum I keep hearing people say that Labradar is finished as a company and I can't figure out why people say that. Did they make any announcement in that respect ? Also on the same Canadian gun forum I saw many adds with Labradar for sale. I wonder what is going on. Is gotta be something that I don't know.

country gent
11-19-2023, 10:34 AM
Labradar is made by Invotec a big Canadian military supplier. I suspect in today's climate they are having supply issues and time issues as the military contracts come first. When I bought my unit ( serial number 100 ) component supply was a problem.

The doppler units arnt new tech military's have been using it since the mid sixties for artillery naval guns and other big guns with range measured in miles. Whats new is invotec made the units size and available to the hunter shooter.

It took me 8 months to get mine from the date ordered. I believe these were meant as fill in work for slow times and they took off and sold way better than expected

Nick Quick
11-19-2023, 11:01 AM
From what I know Labradar is made by Infinition Inc in Trois -Rivieres, QC. I wrote them a message many years ago to ask if I can pick up the Labradar unit in person as it is in driving distance from where I live. They said I can pick it up in person no problem but I have to buy it online and the price is in US dollars. I will send them another e-mail and ask what is going on and let y'all know about the answer.

country gent
11-19-2023, 12:22 PM
My mistake on the name. Mine was an earlier one would be interesting to know what they are up to now by serial number

rockrat
11-20-2023, 09:11 PM
I am over on the accurate shooters website too and picked up a Labradar shipped for $350. People are buying the Garmin and getting rid of their Labradars

firefly1957
11-21-2023, 11:13 AM
I would like to ask users of these if they will work on a narrow range with trees on each side?

I have cut a 300 yard range on my property but it is 12-16 foot wide and when labradar came out people reported issues with a narrow or short range?

MUSTANG
11-21-2023, 01:18 PM
I would like to ask users of these if they will work on a narrow range with trees on each side?

I have cut a 300 yard range on my property but it is 12-16 foot wide and when labradar came out people reported issues with a narrow or short range?

Short answer is Yes.

Long answer is that the LabRadar has a beam width of 7.6° x 18.5° (Transmit). The computer on board is looking for Movement, not static return.

No problems using for 100 Yards. Not sure what the upper limits of the LabRadar distance is. The Information Screens will allow capturing multiple readings along the 100 yard path (i.e. set to 25/50/75/100 yard speed measurements).

Diameter of bullet can be of significance. .22/.224's with a flat base fairly reliable; a boat tail on same may have "Fail to Track" at times. .30's not problems if Lab Radar is correctly aligned.

Aligning the device. There is a little Vee in the top of the unit for sighting in the unit. Given aging eyes and difficulty in correctly sighting through the Vee; it may at times not be correctly aligned. I use a Home Depot plastic Rafter "Square" (Triangle) to facilitate sighting in the Lab Radar. Simply put one side on the face of the LabRadar in the area of the Vee; then use the Flat Plane as an extended sighting aide to zero the unit up and down and sideways to align the Unit to the Target. Most of my "Fail to Track" problems in the past can be attributed to not being adequately aligned.

firefly1957
11-21-2023, 04:45 PM
Thank you Mustang for the information . On my range as I use it alone I move a table to the desired range so only 100 yards is less of a problem then from 300 yards where a large pine trunk is 3 feet from bullet path . My son thinks I should cut that 70 foot tree down I have all the branches off to almost twenty feet and I doubt the bullet path will be effected 3 feet from the trunk.

I do not shoot anything smaller then .22 caliber and most of those are home swaged and have a flat base . Other swaged bullets like the ones shaped in a .223 die then sized for .351 W.S.L. have a unknown B.C. I could find it with Labradar not that is really matters a lot for the short ranges .

I read the instructions on the Garmin I like the idea of measurements of speed at distance of the labradar because that will give true B.C. with computer program.

Minerat
11-21-2023, 11:32 PM
Our berms were 10 ft high and the lanes were approx 20 feet wide. I had zero problems getting readings. Shortest I tried was 10 yds from muzzle with 10 yds increments out to 100 yds. It even picks up my 17 Hornet 20 gr bullets out to 100 yds about 60% of the time.

MUSTANG
11-22-2023, 10:02 AM
Beware of Shooters with Muzzle Breaks or Ultra/Mega Mags on the firing line with you when using the Lab Radar. It will activate from their Muzzle Blasts and give a Failure to Read error. If you are firing at the same time period; your data for that shot will not register. I tend to use mine when Few to No other shooters are at the range.

avogunner
11-23-2023, 08:50 AM
I'm waiting on our club Labradar users to start selling theirs to buy the new Garmin's. We had our first a couple of weeks ago - sold for $400 but there are more to come.
Semper Fi

bluebanana
11-23-2023, 09:03 AM
I got the Garmin a couple of weeks ago. Very sweet unit and relays all info to the app flawlessly. First time I used it was in an indoor range shooting CCI Standard Velocity LR and it picked up every shot.

Glad I didn't get the Labradar as I was in the market for one when the Garmin popped up. I got the Garmin at Cabelas on a 10% off day and had it delivered to Bass Pro in NH which is a short drive away and tax free.