PDA

View Full Version : Lawmen Bass Reeves New Show

hoodat
11-10-2023, 02:17 AM
I just started watching this, and at least so far, (two episodes) I'm pretty pleased.

It's based upon the character of the somewhat famous lawman Bass Reeves, a black man in post civil war times.

Seems to have a Christian message to it, and so far hasn't been crazy political, racial, anti-gun, -- I haven't found anything to not like about it. I hope it stays that way. jd

poppy42
11-10-2023, 02:26 AM
Bass Reeves was a very successful marshal. Just about always got his man. Stories about him using disguises. Don’t know how many are true, but he supposed to have once dressed as an old woman to get the bad guy. So far not to bad of a show. Time will tell.

brokeasajoke
11-10-2023, 07:08 AM
I hope they keep it reasonably clean too. I watched the first 2 episodes of Yellowstone and turned it off, too much filth. Yellowstone could have been great. I hope they keep this show at a level I can continue to watch. Hell on wheels was great except they started pushing my limits of what I'll stand the last couple seasons.

Beerd
11-12-2023, 12:09 PM
Yellowstone, it's a good bet that you won't see it shown on the Hallmark channel or BYUTV.

trebor44
11-12-2023, 01:08 PM
Western shows are for Eastern folk. Yeah, there is some "reality" to them but mostly fictional like the 'dime novels'. But, enjoy then for the entertainment value not the historical. As for 'filth', not a lot of washing up or teeth brushing occuring in the masses before the 1950's! Although some tribes did do the finger brush method!

JoeJames
11-12-2023, 01:42 PM
He was a deputy for Judge Parker in Ft. Smith.

Budzilla 19
11-12-2023, 01:58 PM
The wife and I watched the first shows, I got to admit, not too bad at all! We’ll watch till the agendas come into play, then I’ll turn it off too.
Just my opinions, worth what ya paid.

brokeasajoke
11-12-2023, 03:46 PM
The wife and I watched the first shows, I got to admit, not too bad at all! We’ll watch till the agendas come into play, then I’ll turn it off too.
Just my opinions, worth what ya paid.

Yep.

Daver7
11-12-2023, 04:00 PM
We’re watching it also. Hope it stays as good as it is

Beerd
11-12-2023, 04:27 PM
Western shows are for Eastern folk. Yeah, there is some "reality" to them but mostly fictional like the 'dime novels'. But, enjoy then for the entertainment value not the historical. As for 'filth', not a lot of washing up or teeth brushing occuring in the masses before the 1950's! Although some tribes did do the finger brush method!

That kind of filth will come off with soap & water. The kind in Yellowstone that brokeasajoke was referring to, not so much.

hoodat
11-12-2023, 05:41 PM
I think that maybe today, they cut loose with a couple more episodes. I'm not real sure how it works. I'm seeing it on the Paramount App. jd

lancem
11-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Watched it last night, enjoyed it.

popper
11-13-2023, 11:10 AM
Truthfully, as the trailer says, as much a bad guy as good guy. Parker wasn't a very good Judge either.

Larry Gibson
11-13-2023, 11:15 AM
Watched the three posted episodes of Bass Reeves [appears a new one is posted every Sunday(?)], enjoyed them. As to the "filth" on Yellowstone, welcome to the real world. Not saying anyone has to watch it if it doesn't suit them. However, I would like to see "Beth" on the "View" for about 15 minutes..........

Texas by God
11-13-2023, 11:18 AM
Watched the three posted episodes of Bass Reeves [appears a new one is posted every Sunday(?)], enjoyed them. As to the "filth" on Yellowstone, welcome to the real world. Not saying anyone has to watch it if it doesn't suit them. However, I would like to see "Beth" on the "View" for about 15 minutes..........

That would be worth watching- if the Aussie actress that plays Beth is like Beth in real life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trebor44
11-20-2023, 05:14 PM
Starting to get a little "soapy"!

Froogal
11-21-2023, 10:31 AM
There is only 8 episodes of Bass Reeves. We have now watched 4 of those episodes, and will most likely watch all 8, but I must confess that we are not all that impressed with the show. Seems to be a bit dis-jointed. The writers could have done a better job.

DukeSoprano
11-22-2023, 09:29 PM
I just wish I could shoot that good! He doesn't even have to aim!

Froogal
11-23-2023, 09:35 AM
I just wish I could shoot that good! He doesn't even have to aim!

Watching the opening segment of "Gunsmoke", it looks like Matt Dillon must be shooting at a bird up in the sky.

10x
11-24-2023, 09:11 AM
I hope they keep it reasonably clean too. I watched the first 2 episodes of Yellowstone and turned it off, too much filth. Yellowstone could have been great. I hope they keep this show at a level I can continue to watch. Hell on wheels was great except they started pushing my limits of what I'll stand the last couple seasons.

Yellowstone portrayed Montana folk as sociopathic killers, Dutton (Yellowstone ranch) cult members, and criminals who find ways to skirt and manipulate the laws. Rip was the heart throb of many female fans - forgiving Beth Dutton her frequent spoiled daddies girl indiscretions and taking people to the "Train station" to kill them. That John Dutton would sentence people to death for a breach in loyalty to the brand (read cult) is horrific.
Not quite the image the Montana Tourist Board wants to present.

trebor44
11-24-2023, 04:10 PM
Folks (business) in the Bitterroot Valley like that "Hollywood cash flow". No one native to Montana believed the Hollywood storyline! The 'show' has been cancelled, even though it tried to emulate "Dallas". Kevin is no Larry!

PS: Montana does have it's share of sociopathic killers, thanks to the Interstate.

11th Corps
11-29-2023, 06:45 PM
Yellowstone portrayed Montana folk as sociopathic killers, Dutton (Yellowstone ranch) cult members, and criminals who find ways to skirt and manipulate the laws. Rip was the heart throb of many female fans - forgiving Beth Dutton her frequent spoiled daddies girl indiscretions and taking people to the "Train station" to kill them. That John Dutton would sentence people to death for a breach in loyalty to the brand (read cult) is horrific.
Not quite the image the Montana Tourist Board wants to present.

I told the Mrs that Yellowstone is the Soprano's out west.

DougGuy
12-02-2023, 01:00 PM
I like the series. They are focused on telling a true to life lawman's story, independent of the "Hollywood" spin most tv productions get. To the extent that the writers and producers didn't want it attached to the purely fictional "Yellowstone" series so they developed the series on it's own.

The fact that the real Bass Reeves survived 32 years in his profession is a testament all to itself. Arrested over 3,000 criminals and killed 14 outlaws, and lived to tell the tales.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a45752187/paramount-lawmen-bass-reeves-true-story-explained/

delftshooter
12-28-2023, 02:08 AM
I like the series. They are focused on telling a true to life lawman's story, independent of the "Hollywood" spin most tv productions get. To the extent that the writers and producers didn't want it attached to the purely fictional "Yellowstone" series so they developed the series on it's own.

The fact that the real Bass Reeves survived 32 years in his profession is a testament all to itself. Arrested over 3,000 criminals and killed 14 outlaws, and lived to tell the tales.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a45752187/paramount-lawmen-bass-reeves-true-story-explained/

dont forget that not every arrest was violent, not every arrest went the way of the OK Corral, and not every "bank robbery" went the way of the wild bunch.

ebb
12-30-2023, 09:54 AM
I was doing good till i got to episode 4 or 5 them I got all confused. I think I am going to go back to 3 and start over. Maybe this is the same as what another here mentioned about poor writers.