PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a 98

fixit
11-05-2023, 09:17 PM
A couple of years ago, I bought a rattle trap ww1 98 Mauser. I would suppose it has seen combat as it seems very well used. My question is, should I attempt to restore it, use it for a build, or just save it. The bore was horribly metal fouled, and everything is loose.

LAGS
11-05-2023, 09:46 PM
I would restore it if it was mine.
I restore lots of 98's that can be restored to a good shooting condition.
The ones that don't want to get fully restored , I Sporterized them and make hunting rifles out if them.
Those would be the ones that say have broken stocks or questionable but shootable bores.

d4xycrq
11-05-2023, 09:56 PM
Years ago I bought a wall hanger 98. It was $35. Deep rust pits. Sewer pipe bore. So I built a Rhineland Arms 45ACP kit on what was left of the action.

waksupi
11-06-2023, 12:50 PM
What is loose? Mausers should have a lot of slop in them.

Uncle Grinch
11-06-2023, 03:27 PM
I say restore… however, please know up front, you will probably invest more than what the restored rifle is worth. I’ve done quite a few milsurps and I almost every case I put more into the rifle than what I sold it for.

I still believe it was the right thing to do.

Hannibal
11-06-2023, 04:01 PM
I bought a 98 action a few years ago. The bolt literally rattles around it it when it's not closed but after stocking and barreling it the accuracy is very surprising. It'll shoot a half MOA with next to no load development.

john.k
11-06-2023, 05:50 PM
If its unmolested original condition ,you could sell it and buy two or three new rifles with the money.

fixit
11-06-2023, 10:00 PM
I will chime in that I bought it for 80 dollars, and the shop seemed glad to get rid of it! By the time I stopped getting very green patches from it, the bore looked visibly larger, to the level that I wish I had ran a slug before and after! I have not shot it yet, so I haven't a clue about accuracy, not to mention I haven't checked headspace yet. I wouldn't be against getting another military barrel in 7 or 8 mm and go from there

405grain
11-07-2023, 11:57 PM
"The bolt literally rattles around it it when it's not closed" Mauser's are supposed to do that. They're a battle rifle; designed not to seize up when muddy or dirty. The bolt should be loose like that when the actions open, but lock up tight as a drum when the bolt's closed.

Hannibal
11-08-2023, 12:09 AM
"The bolt literally rattles around it it when it's not closed" Mauser's are supposed to do that. They're a battle rifle; designed not to seize up when muddy or dirty. The bolt should be loose like that when the actions open, but lock up tight as a drum when the bolt's closed.

Huh. Try telling that to a benchrest shooter.

ulav8r
11-08-2023, 11:32 PM
Benchrest shooters don't use battle rifles. Mausers are battle rifles that make decent hunting rifles.

Bad Ass Wallace
11-09-2023, 04:20 AM
I was given a 1916 Gew 98 action that had been 'bubbered', bolt handle bent, custom bridge mount to take genuine Sako rings, aftermarket fully adjustable trigger. I had a WW2 FN Mauser barrel in 30.06 that was pristine (1:10" twist). Added a Pecar 4x81 scope with extra fine crosshairs and a second hand stock that I striped and refinished with true oil.

Ultimately it's a decision as to whether it has been altered too much to restore or continue with the modifications to finish with a worthwhile cast boolit shooter.

https://i.imgur.com/Xul4hq0l.jpg

WILCO
11-10-2023, 01:45 AM
I will chime in that I bought it for 80 dollars...

Great!!!

I'd run it as is.
See what it can do. :)

WILCO
11-10-2023, 01:46 AM
I was given a 1916 Gew 98 action that had been 'bubbered'....

Good looking rifle Wallace.

racepres
11-10-2023, 09:14 AM

On a Round..

fixit
11-13-2023, 10:24 PM
My bolt rattles when closed but I don't remember what it does when closed on a round....I'll have to check that out

fixit
11-14-2023, 10:33 AM
I checked my rifle with a round in it, and no rattle. I originally bought this because it was labeled as a 7 mm, incorrectly, so I was actually disappointed when I realized it was an 8. Of course, the 8 has been referred to as the European 30-06, so there's nothing wrong with that.