PDA

View Full Version : going to look at a Vaquero

ddeaton
02-14-2009, 07:29 PM
What do you guys think? I have no willpower and want one. I am going to look at a couple of them tomorrow. I want to shoot some BP loads.

targetshootr
02-14-2009, 09:05 PM
The old Vaqeros are nice. The new Colt-sized ones look good too. I'll get one of the new ones in a heartbeat if they ever come out in 44 spl.

ddeaton
02-14-2009, 09:22 PM
I didnt know they had an old and a new model. All I know are these are 45. I guess I should ask what the differences are and should I buy one over the other?

Don McDowell
02-14-2009, 09:25 PM
I've ran about 35 rounds of 37 grs Goex 3f with 250-260 gr bullets bp lubed, before the cylinder would start to bind on my New Vaquero in 45 colt

jhrosier
02-14-2009, 09:28 PM
...I'll get one of the new ones in a heartbeat if they ever come out in 44 spl.

Maybe, one day, but until then:

http://images30.fotki.com/v485/photos/5/590147/2786028/P1080259cbs-vi.jpg

David Clements made this .44 Spl. for me from a Ruger New Vaquero .357.
And yes, it both looks and shoots nice.:-D
I finally decided that I might not live long enough for Ruger to come to their senses so I had a custom gun built. It is worth the time and money.:drinks:

Jack

Muddy Creek Sam
02-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Check your Cylinder gap if shooting BP. Some of the NMVs are very tight and will bind after 20-40 shots unless you wipe the front of the Cylinders. I had Katie's opened up to .008" and now they are fine with BP. They are rock solid. The older model Vaqueros are a bigger frame.

Sam :D

jhrosier
02-14-2009, 09:37 PM
... I guess I should ask what the differences are and should I buy one over the other?

The original Ruger Vaqeros are built (like a tank) on the same sized frame as the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk. The Ruger New Vaqueros are built on a smaller frame like the original 3-screw (flattop) Blackhawks.
The Ruger New Vaquero is as close to the same as the Colt SAA as you can get.
The New Vaquero also has an indexing pawl that lines up the chamber with the loading gate. They also have the transfer bar firing pin safety so can be carried with 6 rounds chambered.
The New Vaqueros are available in either .357Mag or .45Colt, only.

Jack

ddeaton
02-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Darn, you all are bad on me. I came home with a pair of them. New models, 2 barrel lengths. Made a trade for some of the funds and was able to afford both. Got a holster rig to boot.:Fire:

9.3X62AL
02-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Congrats on the new acauisitions, D. Deaton! I assume they are 45 Colts, from the talk earlier about The Holy Black.

JHRosier--that critter shoots as good as it looks, sir. I would be very proud to own a revolver of that class and capability.

targetshootr
02-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Maybe, one day, but until then:
David Clements made this .44 Spl. for me from a Ruger New Vaquero .357.
And yes, it both looks and shoots nice.:-D
I finally decided that I might not live long enough for Ruger to come to their senses so I had a custom gun built. It is worth the time and money.:drinks:

Jack

ThatswhatI'mtalkinabout. The grips even look like aged micarta.

Four Fingers of Death
02-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Darn, you all are bad on me. I came home with a pair of them. New models, 2 barrel lengths. Made a trade for some of the funds and was able to afford both. Got a holster rig to boot.:Fire:

ScheeooooooooooooooT! You got two hips ain'y ya? Of course you'd buy two of them. Hoglegs are meant to be kept in pairs. I have 2x 44 Super BHs, 2x 45 Convertibles, 2x 45 new vaqs and 2x Pietta 44/40 Colt Clones. cain't have those hoglegs getting lonely. Wear one and you'll walk crooked and put yer back out, cain't have none of that can we??? :)

Welcome to the seriously afflicted but poor gun lovers crowd.

jhrosier
02-15-2009, 08:04 PM
... Wear one and you'll walk crooked and put yer back out, cain't have none of that can we??? :)....

I'm going to try that one out on the household CFO and see how far it gets me.
So if you don't hear from me again......

Jack

ddeaton
02-15-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm going to try that one out on the household CFO and see how far it gets me.
So if you don't hear from me again......

Jack

Just tell her its my fault, blame it on me.[smilie=1: