PDA

View Full Version : Any problem with this?

crazyjz
02-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Hello, newby to casting, been reloading quite a while. As has been posted here several times, I have been amazed and confused with the apparent complexity surrounding the quest for a good cast bullet. Hopefully a couple of you will take a moment out of your day and try to steer me right.

I own a Lee Pro 20 furnace, a bunch of lead, untested hardnesses and have the means to purchase whatever else I will need to drop a few bullets. (I will be getting a hardness tester soon so I can figure out what alloy I need to add to my mixture.)

I will be loading for my Marlin 1895SS 45-70 first. In pushing a lead slug through the barrel, it would appear that my rifle will like bullets sized to .460. I intend to purchase two, two cavity molds from Ranch Dog and maybe a couple from other sources in that size.

I will be purchasing molds made for the use of gas checks. I would like to pan lube my finished bullets. Here's the question:

I do not want to put my bullets through a sizer, although I will need to crimp the gas check on with one. Can I put my bullets in a tub w a bunch of alox, install the gas check by partially running them through a sizer, just enough to crimp the gas check and then put the bullet w gas check in the pan for pan lubing?

Last but not least, which is easier to use for this gas check installation, Lee, RCBS, Lyman? I don't want to start a loyalty frenzy and I am not asking which one is best, just which one will work the easiest for this particular task.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Wayne S
02-14-2009, 07:20 PM
which is easier to use for this gas check installation, Lee, RCBS, Lyman? I .What do you mean by WHICH, H&I die ? lube/sizer ?
Have you considered shooting your bullets W/O a gas check ? In a 45/70 case try some with and some without a pinch of poly fiber
Now if you want to use a GC and pan lube , Lyman sells a gas Check seater, allowing you to use the die to seat the GC but dosen't allow the bullet deeper into the die
I recall Eagan used to make GC seaters, just place his little tool on top of the H&I die place a GC in the opening of his tool use the Lube/Sizer to seat the GC

Bret4207
02-14-2009, 07:29 PM
First off, don't let the talk keep you from casting. The basics are pretty simple, they have to be or idiots like me couldn't do it! After reading what you want to do may I suggest you buy a Lee push through sizer and lap it out to whatever size you want? If you want .460 (which Lee may well offer) it's easy to lap the dies out using 320 paper on a cleaning rod. It took me exactly 400 rolls on my thigh to take a Lee .329 sizer out to .332+. Just use the die like a wheel rolling it back and forth on your thigh, switch it end for end every 100 rolls. Then you can run the boolit through and the GC will be crimped. Then you can pan lube, or you could do it before I suppose if you don't mind cleaning the base. That's the inexpensive and easy answer to your wishes IMO,