PDA

View Full Version : You never know what you'll see at the range

beagle
11-02-2023, 07:39 PM
Was at the range. Deer season coming on and zeroing was in season.

Old fellow was down to the left shooting a Mosin Nagant. He'd shoot, use a cleaning rod to remove brass and have at it again. I asked if he was having trouble. Said, yeah, won't extract the case. Looked at one. No rim. What? Headstamp said .308 Winchester. Enlightened him that it was the wrong cartridge. He told me the guy at the gunshop said they'd work. Kept on firing. I moved farther down the line. Case fireformed nicely.

Never know what you'll see at the range./beagle

johnsonian09
11-02-2023, 07:42 PM
I love it when the guy next to you says their handgun won’t shoot, they flag you, you take it from them point it at the target and it shoots fine…

It’s a wonder why more people don’t accidentally get hurt then already do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dondiego
11-02-2023, 07:47 PM
A .270 Winchester cartridge will shoot in a 30-06 rifle too I found out as a Range Officer at my club during the deer season sight in but it is not too accurate.

Recycled bullet
11-02-2023, 07:56 PM
My curiosity got the better of me and I found out that they fit into each other. The casings were headstamped 9 mm. Maybe they were fired in a 40 Smith & Wesson???https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231102/7d97cbe7b102cc7804269ac0ea16852d.jpg

Der Gebirgsjager
11-02-2023, 09:03 PM
Most likely 9s fired in a 40-- but they often split.

DG

atr
11-02-2023, 09:08 PM
there are a lot of people who should NOT own firearms

dverna
11-03-2023, 12:02 AM
I am thankful I no longer need to use public ranges.

GregLaROCHE
11-03-2023, 02:46 AM

There are a lot of gun dealers that shouldn’t be selling firearms. This is one example.

BobT
11-03-2023, 06:20 AM

Old fellow was down to the left shooting a Mosin Nagant. He'd shoot, use a cleaning rod to remove brass and have at it again. I asked if he was having trouble. Said, yeah, won't extract the case. Looked at one. No rim. What? Headstamp said .308 Winchester. Enlightened him that it was the wrong cartridge. He told me the guy at the gunshop said they'd work. Kept on firing. I moved farther down the line. Case fireformed nicely.

I have seen some interesting things at the range! I think one of the most interesting things I've seen though came into the little gunsmithing shop where I work part time. We had a regular customer bring in a nice old German Weatherby MarkV chambered in .257 Weatherby Magnum. This fellow had managed to load and fire a .300 Winchester Magnum in his rifle! The stock was broken in two at the back of the magazine box, the bolt was stuck (I had to use a long cheater bar to open it) and the action was warped. Aside from a chunk of wood missing from the stock the rifle was otherwise mostly intact and the bullet had managed to make it down the bore. If anyone ever doubted the strength of the MarkV action, fear not!

Finster101
11-03-2023, 06:46 AM

There are a lot of people who should not breed!

kungfustyle
11-03-2023, 08:02 AM
There are a lot of people who should not breed!

You out of the gene pool. I guess that's what the Darwin awards are for.

trapper9260
11-03-2023, 08:21 AM
Too many are not taught right. Or they do not want to do their own research. Yes some gun sellers should not sell any guns since they do not know really anything about them. By tell some one to use a cartridge that dose not belong in the gun is just not right , if one is not sure all they need to do is do a search on their phone it will tell them what ammo they can use in the gun. I am glad, I that I do not deal with a gun range . I made my own in my back yard.

parson48
11-03-2023, 08:58 AM
I remember being in a Dick's Sporting Goods years ago and overheard the sales person telling a fellow that they had a 30-06 muzzleloader in the gun rack.

Texas by God
11-03-2023, 09:04 AM
I have seen some interesting things at the range! I think one of the most interesting things I've seen though came into the little gunsmithing shop where I work part time. We had a regular customer bring in a nice old German Weatherby MarkV chambered in .257 Weatherby Magnum. This fellow had managed to load and fire a .300 Winchester Magnum in his rifle! The stock was broken in two at the back of the magazine box, the bolt was stuck (I had to use a long cheater bar to open it) and the action was warped. Aside from a chunk of wood missing from the stock the rifle was otherwise mostly intact and the bullet had managed to make it down the bore. If anyone ever doubted the strength of the MarkV action, fear not!

The .300 Win Mag will not fit in a .257 Weatherby chamber. It must have been something else.

BP Dave
11-03-2023, 09:57 AM
Years ago as a range safety officer I learned that 7mm Mauser would fire just fine in an 8mm Mauser rifle, although inaccurately. When I tried to point out that not all "Mauser" ammunition was the same, the owner was dubious and informed me that the different "mm"s meant different power.

On another occasion a group of young men were shooting an SKS. I think they had crappy ammo, and it kept jamming. Finally they couldn't get a jam unstuck, so they laid the rifle on the table, packed up, and started heading home without it. I went after them to say they forgot their rifle, and they told me to keep it. I went ahead and cleared the jam, gave it back to them, and suggested they try some different ammo. I remember at the time weighing what to do--maybe they're the types that shouldn't have guns and I would have done society a favor by keeping it. Or maybe I prevented someone from getting soured on shooting his first time out. It's been a quarter century since then, so I guess that question has probably been settled one way or the other.

slim1836
11-03-2023, 10:03 AM

Ditto

Slim

35 Rem
11-03-2023, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I never worried about public ranges for a long time until I started thinking about how messed up some people's knowledge about guns are. Especially the novice reloader who thinks he knows it all but really knows very little. They can blow a gun up shooting on the bench right beside you and you suffer the consequences. I haven't been to a range in at least 10 years - probably 15. I do miss the fun conversations you might have when running into a shooter with common interests/back grounds.

jdgabbard
11-03-2023, 10:30 AM
My curiosity got the better of me and I found out that they fit into each other. The casings were headstamped 9 mm. Maybe they were fired in a 40 Smith & Wesson???https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231102/7d97cbe7b102cc7804269ac0ea16852d.jpg

That was a common problem back when I was still wearing a badge. Every time we went to the annual training claim the instructor went over this in depth. It's also one reason we standardized on one caliber.

TurnipEaterDown
11-03-2023, 11:33 AM
Couple things that struck me odd over the years:

25 years ago I was near a fellow who was forming 220 Swift Improved, and had a puzzled look, so I asked him why. He noted nearly all his primers were failing, and wondered why. I asked him about the load -- 'non max powder charge' was his reply. I asked him about the bullet, it looked like a Hornady. He said it was - 70 grain. I told him that the 70 grain Hornady SP was Not 224, it was 227 inch, and shouldn't be used in that gun. Impossible he said, his friend gave them to him for that purpose.
Some people don't know enough to own wildcats.

Another memorable experience was recent.
Fella I had met a few times was sighting in a 223 Ruger 77 VT rifle at 50 yds. Nothing was hitting target. I asked him about looking down the bore and aligning scope to it. He said "why? a different load all hit the target yesterday, just a bit high". I asked him about bullet weight, said the ones the day I talked to him were 55s. I said that should probably be OK. He said, the target from yesterday is still hanging, and wanted me to see how close they were to the aiming point, so we walked down range. We got there, and I asked him what the weight of the bullets were he shot the other day. 70 grain match bullets he said.
I had never in my life would have believed this could happen: 5 shots at 50 yds, all within a probably 2 inch circle, and all completely sideways ~ 1 - 1.2" slots. Yes, 5 completely unstable bullets all "grouped" during sighting on a 50 yd target.
I told him that the R77 was a 223, not 5.56 spec for twist and that this was very likely either 1:12 or 1:14 which would not stabilize a pointy match 70 gr bullets like a 1:7 5.56 chamber in a typical AR platform rifle would. He looked at me Very puzzled. I still kick myself for not taking his target after he left. Statistical oddities are interesting.

rmark
11-03-2023, 12:05 PM
I had a friend who worked the sales counter at a decent sized gun store- and occasionally he talked people out of buying guns.

TNsailorman
11-03-2023, 12:20 PM
I wrote Dick's off the first time I went into the store and the store policy was that a customer was not allowed to handle any ammo to the cash register to buy. A store employee had to put it in a lock box, carry it to the cash register and hand it to the cashier. Only after the customer paid for the ammo was he allowed to handle it in any way. Later this same store pulled a bunch of its ammo and guns from the store and advertised that they would no longer sell certain guns that fell on a list of ammo and guns someone had generated. I haven't been back in the store since and never will.

beagle
11-03-2023, 12:25 PM
Ran into that too at Dicks. They quit selling ammo at ours. No beed to go now./beagle

QUOTE=TNsailorman;5641442]I wrote Dick's off the first time I went into the store and the store policy was that a customer was not allowed to handle any ammo to the cash register to buy. A store employee had to put it in a lock box, carry it to the cash register and hand it to the cashier. Only after the customer paid for the ammo was he allowed to handle it in any way. Later this same store pulled a bunch of its ammo and guns from the store and advertised that they would no longer sell certain guns that fell on a list of ammo and guns someone had generated. I haven't been back in the store since and never will.[/QUOTE]

Winger Ed.
11-03-2023, 12:42 PM
At our public range in Dallas they had a glass display case with a lever action rifle blown up like something you'd see in a cartoon.
The barrel split open like a flower.
Another one on display was a Colt 2" .38 with the top blown out like someone had triple charged a .38Spec.

When I worked a sales counter at the body shop supply store,
a regular customer came in and told of going to the range with a neighbor. Both had lever action rifles.
He had his Dad's old .30-30, and the neighbor had one 'just like it', but was shooting .38s in his.

He said the next time he went out, he'd shoot .38s in his too since they were so much cheaper.
I asked him,
"What do you think is going to happen when that .38 cal. bullet tries to get out through that .30 hole in the barrel"?
After a long pause---- I got a "Ohhh, I never thought about that".

45workhorse
11-03-2023, 12:56 PM
Years ago as a range safety officer I learned that 7mm Mauser would fire just fine in an 8mm Mauser rifle, although inaccurately. When I tried to point out that not all "Mauser" ammunition was the same, the owner was dubious and informed me that the different "mm"s meant different power.

On another occasion a group of young men were shooting an SKS. I think they had crappy ammo, and it kept jamming. Finally they couldn't get a jam unstuck, so they laid the rifle on the table, packed up, and started heading home without it. I went after them to say they forgot their rifle, and they told me to keep it. I went ahead and cleared the jam, gave it back to them, and suggested they try some different ammo. I remember at the time weighing what to do--maybe they're the types that shouldn't have guns and I would have done society a favor by keeping it. Or maybe I prevented someone from getting soured on shooting his first time out. It's been a quarter century since then, so I guess that question has probably been settled one way or the other.

Weellllll, technically he is right!:groner:

Electrod47
11-03-2023, 02:01 PM

Amen, Brother

405grain
11-03-2023, 07:15 PM
Years ago I visited the most redneck, back woods, hillbilly shooting range I've ever seen. I wasn't there to shoot, but just to see what the place was like. It was a public range with a river behind the target stands, and rows of houses on the other side of the river. There was a little cantina at the range where you could buy sandwiches, chip and beer. Apparently drinking was allowed on the shooting line. I walked over to where a pair of good ol boys were shooting a revolver. This was a 357 magnum, and one of the guys was telling the other that these were his special hand loads. Both of the guys had a beer in their hands (and a couple more in their tummy's) as they were shooting. On the first shot I noticed a very pronounced muzzle flash, much larger than would be expected. Wisely I backed away from the firing line. After the six shots were delivered to who knows where, the shooter had to set down his beer in order to beat the cylinder open. Both of them acted as if this was perfectly normal. I could not have left that place faster, and never went back.

charlie b
11-03-2023, 10:40 PM
I've been 'lucky' at our public range. Most of the folks at least know which end the bullet comes out and I haven't seen anything unsafe.

During the hunting season we get a lot of folks zeroing guns. Many have bought the guns yesterday and are zeroing the gun on the way to hunt. Most take advice well and actually welcome someone helping them. At least all of them had the correct ammo :)

Battis
11-03-2023, 11:50 PM
A few years back I was at a range in NH shooting a Pietta cap and ball Colt. There were several shooters there (new to BP) trying out their muzzleloaders for deer season, cigarettes hanging out of their mouths as they loaded and fired. I loaded and fired all six chambers of the revolver. One of the crew looked at me and said, "How'd you get it to shoot more than once?"

sukivel
11-04-2023, 07:26 AM
I’ve only been to a public range twice. Scared to death both times…

jdgabbard
11-05-2023, 12:52 AM
You guys seem to have much better stories than I do. Mostly what I see is people who simply cannot safely handle firearms. The ranges here in Tulsa are about a 50/50 split between public and private. But the private clubs cost quite a bit, so I just use the public ranges. One that I prefer for pistol shooting is an indoor with bulletproof glass between the lanes. Only three things come to mind as far as mind boggling. First one was a guy who was probably in his 50s shooting a Bersa Thunder .380acp. He was wrapping his support hand thumb over his firing hand thumb. When the gun recoiled it dang near took his thumb off. The guy's target was about 3-5 yards out, and I swear he was missing the full size target altogether. Another time there was a guy shooting an AR10 which had a detonation. Not sure what it was caused by, as I was several lanes down, but I definitely heard it - and afterwards saw the upper receiver that was peeled open. Another time a guy two lanes over shot the bulletproof glass of the lane next to mine. Guy next to me pretty much soiled himself.

There is definitely no shortage of unsafe people at a public range....

sukivel
11-05-2023, 08:19 AM
You guys seem to have much better stories than I do. Mostly what I see is people who simply cannot safely handle firearms. The ranges here in Tulsa are about a 50/50 split between public and private. But the private clubs cost quite a bit, so I just use the public ranges. One that I prefer for pistol shooting is an indoor with bulletproof glass between the lanes. Only three things come to mind as far as mind boggling. First one was a guy who was probably in his 50s shooting a Bersa Thunder .380acp. He was wrapping his support hand thumb over his firing hand thumb. When the gun recoiled it dang near took his thumb off. The guy's target was about 3-5 yards out, and I swear he was missing the full size target altogether. Another time there was a guy shooting an AR10 which had a detonation. Not sure what it was caused by, as I was several lanes down, but I definitely heard it - and afterwards saw the upper receiver that was peeled open. Another time a guy two lanes over shot the bulletproof glass of the lane next to mine. Guy next to me pretty much soiled himself.

There is definitely no shortage of unsafe people at a public range....

I’ve wanted to checkout 2A since I’ve never been in an indoor range, but situations like those are why I don’t.

Uncle Grinch
11-05-2023, 09:55 AM
Found this on the range floor years ago. Looks like some yo-yo fired a .223/5.56 in his 7.62x39 rifle. Picture shows a 223 and a 7.62x39 on either side of the fired cartridge.

https://i.postimg.cc/brRZqzFW/IMG-0606.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Gtek
11-05-2023, 11:09 AM
Private club, but I still sit as far left as possible keeping the group somewhat in field of view. Fellow pulls up and unloads and he has a Steyr M95 carbine, stroll over to look it over. Tell him I have one also and mine is a cheek slapping shoulder smacking joy ride, he says just bought and first time out. Watching, first round is a fireball off muzzle, and again and again through all five. I walk back over very curious and ask, what kind of ammo are you shooting. He shows me a box of 7.62x54R he said the "GUY" at the gun store that sold him the rifle also sold him these and said that's what it takes. Gives me the willies the constant showing of ignorance and trust some of the sheep have!

poppy42
11-05-2023, 02:03 PM
Quite a few years ago I was on my way to arrange and realized I neglected to bring any 38 special ammo to shoot out of my 357 magnum. rather than head home there was a local big box gun store on the way so I figured I’d just stop in and pick up a box. Ask the guy behind the counter for box of 38 special. I was then questioned as to what I was shooting them out of. Without thinking I replied my GP 103 57 magnum. The guy behind the counter went into a tirade about how I was gonna blow my gun up shooting 38’s out of a 357 Because, he explained 30 eights were much bigger and thereby more powerful than a 357 magnum and if I tried to shoot them I would surely blow my gun up along with seriously damaging my hands. As I looked in disbelief and Uttered one word “ idiot” . As I turned around to leave one of the other sales persons asked me what the problem was. I told him that the previous person I spoke to needed to be transferred to the dock department as he had no business talking to anyone about firearms! I then attempted to explain the situation. Well the second sales person told me that the first sales person was right and I should always shoot the proper ammunition out of any gun! I thought I was in the twilight zone. I suspected as people were moved around out of other departments they were told the blanket statement of make sure when you sell ammunition to someone it’s the right ammunition for the firearm they want to load in it. And that was probably all the instructions, experience, firearms training that any of them were given. Now matching ammunition to the specific firearm is certainly sound advice, but I wondered how many range mishaps these two idiots were responsible for. I’m sure there was an awful lot of people that stopped in this place on the way to the range I was going to as it was on the way and only about a mile or two away from the range. As for me, I left turned around and went home got my reloads and went back to the range. I’ve never been back in that store.

technojock
11-05-2023, 05:50 PM
I used too be a member of Tri-County gun club here in the Portland area (actually more than 110 miles outside the city) and any of this shenanigans would have gotten one kicked out of the club. Tri-County was also the place where most local police trained and I used to like to go through the trash after they left to scrounge brass.

beagle
11-05-2023, 09:39 PM
Then, there's another club member that blew the top strap/rear sight and tops off three cylinders on what had been a really nice M25 .45 ACP S&W one morning due to an overload/reload. Heard the blast was out of normal and looked. He was trying to cock for a second shot despite no rear sight and top strap. These incidents were at a private club so that doesn't protect us from idiots./beagle

murf205
11-06-2023, 10:59 AM
I have got to give a nod to the people who use the public range near me. 99% of the people who come there, even during the pre deer sight in season, are pretty knowledgeable and safe. One reason is that it is a state run range and it is pretty strictly supervised by some great range officers who keep a watchful eye on the firing lines. ABSOLUTELY no handling of ANY weapon while a cease fire is called. Covered firing lines and sturdy concrete benches add to the experience as does furnished staple guns and target backers and stands. All it takes is a valid hunting license or wildlife management area permit. Free to use for us 65+ guys.

1903.colt
11-06-2023, 11:29 AM
That's why I shoot at my own property home based range I don't need to see it or be around it,The things you see at the range !

Good Cheer
11-06-2023, 11:36 AM
Years ago I visited the most redneck, back woods, hillbilly shooting range I've ever seen. I wasn't there to shoot, but just to see what the place was like. It was a public range with a river behind the target stands, and rows of houses on the other side of the river. There was a little cantina at the range where you could buy sandwiches, chip and beer. Apparently drinking was allowed on the shooting line. I walked over to where a pair of good ol boys were shooting a revolver. This was a 357 magnum, and one of the guys was telling the other that these were his special hand loads. Both of the guys had a beer in their hands (and a couple more in their tummy's) as they were shooting. On the first shot I noticed a very pronounced muzzle flash, much larger than would be expected. Wisely I backed away from the firing line. After the six shots were delivered to who knows where, the shooter had to set down his beer in order to beat the cylinder open. Both of them acted as if this was perfectly normal. I could not have left that place faster, and never went back.

Fifty years ago there was a pistol and rifle range built into the back of a beer joint northeast of Houston.
Prior to changes in demographics it was as good a place as you could ask for.

WRideout
11-07-2023, 11:53 AM
At the club I belong to, here in Butler PA, there are seldom problems at the rifle or pistol ranges. However, at the trap range where I scrounge hulls I frequently find empty beer cans. Gives you a better swing-through, I guess.

Wayne

John Guedry
11-07-2023, 12:32 PM
I shoot at a public range. And once when I was going I asked my nephew if he wanted to go.(He's retired leo) When we left after a good afternoon,he comented how much safer he felt at that range than the police range. He said most of the "newbies" at the police range had no concept of muzzle control or any idea of firearms safety. This was after they qualified.

firefly1957
11-07-2023, 07:45 PM
Last weekend I helped my club at sight in days we have four more days coming very few shooters came out .
I had one Lady with A Winchester model 94 with a side mount scope was shooting all over so I said let me check your mounts . Sure enough the mounts to the side of the rifle and the mounts to the scope rings were loose . To make things worse the scope was turned so left and right was up & down and up &down left and right I verified what was what and wrote it down . After tightening the mounts she was shooting small 50 yard groups with the 30-30 .
Another guy was shooting a .300 Blackout and he complained about the blast from a guy at the other end of the range . I told him he is shooting the same weight bullet as you but over a 1000 f/s faster. He was shooting a .300 Weatherby with Weatherby 150 grain ammunition . He was having terrible trouble getting the scope set I forget the brand it has the locking up down ring and the adjustments were very stiff.

I have seen a bunch of things mentioned above the past few years .270 in 30-06 . 41 mag in .44 mag 30-30 in .32 Sp. and found 9 mm cases there fired in a .40 S&W. About the goofiest guy at the range was shooting a Rossi levergun in .45 Colt he had the right ammo but said something about .45 short colt we told him there is no such thing. He got the gun sighted then it jammed the last shot was 6" high at 25 yards and there was an ejected .45 acp case with the next one jamming the gun . He had a few in a jacket pocket and it was high end self defense ammo , no harm was done to the gun or him -this time!
Last year I did see a nice old Remington 740 JAMMED by a reload the owner bought from a gun show it was a over pressure load that stuck in the chamber and the case rim was ripped off . I got the stuck case out and told the guy to have the gun looked at by a gunsmith before trying to shoot it again. It looked OKAY and seemed to lock but who would want to chance a cracked locking lug or some other issue , The primer pocket was HUGE and the shell was very tight in the chamber.

Wag
11-08-2023, 08:07 AM
Several times, I've been on the line next to someone with a new handgun. I'll finally hear the guy say something along the lines of, "This is the worst gun I've ever had. Can't hit anything with it." Along with some salty language, of course.

Finally, I said, "Do you mind if I try it?" I tried it and it shot just fine, small groups, at or new the bullseye. I'm no great shooter by any stretch of the imagination but it's not usually problematic at short ranges.

The owner of the gun would tell me something like, "Wow, how did you do that?"

I'd reply, "Just doing the basics. If you like, I can show you some different things."

"Sure!"

In about ten minutes of coaching on basic grip, trigger control, sight picture and sight alignment, stance, etc., the guy would be on target and thanking me profusely. Occasionally someone would offer to pay me but I always decline. It just feels like paying it forward.

--Wag--

Photog
11-10-2023, 10:03 PM
Our local public range is owned by the game and fish dept, and I helped them build it, and volunteered as an RSO, sat on the board of directors and was the operations director for a while. I got to meet some great folks, and even started a USPSA club (which was a major point of my volunteerism). I worked a lot of matches, led practices, taught new shooters, and spent plenty of time on the line keeping things safe. Its not all bad! Yes, I got a bunch of muzzles pointed at me, so there's that. But overall the LEOs were the least safe group, I had a couple of them decide that they could shoot rifles anywhere on the range that they wanted, and picked the trap range as their backstop. And there was the time I found a bullet hole in the spectator bleachers (behind the pistol range) right after a LEO training. And I got lots of brass to take home!

shooting on a shoestring
11-11-2023, 10:04 PM
For a while my folks lived in Hagerman, New Mexico near the Pecos River. The county had a nice berm pushed up at the end of a little county road just off the highway heading east out of town. It wasn’t an official shooting range, just a handy place to shoot a little.

One day driving past it on the highway about deer season, we looked over and saw a handful of “locals” with a 30-30 shooting at 5 gallon bucket. But……they had the 5 gallon bucket perched on the pinnacle of the berm. Perfectly sky lighted. Easy to see.

44Blam
11-12-2023, 09:47 PM
The pandemic getting people to buy guns was really bad for this...
I remember a small lady going to learn how to shoot her gun and she got the 10mm because it was only 1mm bigger than a 9mm. She unboxed at the bench where you put stuff, flagged the whole line and took it to the shooting line... I think she shot 2 rounds... She did not have a good experience.

I remember a guy at the rifle range and was shooting a 10mm revolver. I commented on it and he said he was shooting 40s. So, I asked "oh with moon clips?" and he said "no, I just tilt the gun back before each shot"...

I did find a chunk of a 44 mag cylinder in the wall of the pistol bay - it looked like someone had a terrible day.

376Steyr
11-12-2023, 10:32 PM
Not nearly as spectacular as some of these stories, but I was shooting my .38 Special at the range and was asked by the guy next to me to look at his .357, which was not firing. The gun and cartridges were absolutely slimy with 3-n-1 oil, and the primers were quite dead. I wiped the gun down, ran some .38s through it with no problem, and advised him to buy some fresh ammo. He told me it was his home defense gun.

steve urquell
11-13-2023, 01:06 AM
When I was a 16 year old kid in N. Houston a guy wanted to shoot my Ruger MkII. He took a couple shots then turned to me with finger on the trigger swinging the muzzle around. As a kid I didn't feel like I could tell an adult he was being unsafe but I was bobbing and weaving around the muzzle. POW! He shoots thru the range roof. I told him to put my gun down then. Could have killed me.

Last time I was on a public unsupervised range at least 30 years ago(I have my own range on my property) a guy showed up wearing SWAT gear, started putting clays on the berm then started stalking and shooting them with a pistol grip 12ga. It was in our Nat'l forest and we were the only two people there. I packed up my guns and left.

tommag
11-14-2023, 12:12 AM
Quite a few years ago I was on my way to arrange and realized I neglected to bring any 38 special ammo to shoot out of my 357 magnum. rather than head home there was a local big box gun store on the way so I figured I’d just stop in and pick up a box. Ask the guy behind the counter for box of 38 special. I was then questioned as to what I was shooting them out of. Without thinking I replied my GP 103 57 magnum. The guy behind the counter went into a tirade about how I was gonna blow my gun up shooting 38’s out of a 357 Because, he explained 30 eights were much bigger and thereby more powerful than a 357 magnum and if I tried to shoot them I would surely blow my gun up along with seriously damaging my hands. As I looked in disbelief and Uttered one word “ idiot” . As I turned around to leave one of the other sales persons asked me what the problem was. I told him that the previous person I spoke to needed to be transferred to the dock department as he had no business talking to anyone about firearms! I then attempted to explain the situation. Well the second sales person told me that the first sales person was right and I should always shoot the proper ammunition out of any gun! I thought I was in the twilight zone. I suspected as people were moved around out of other departments they were told the blanket statement of make sure when you sell ammunition to someone it’s the right ammunition for the firearm they want to load in it. And that was probably all the instructions, experience, firearms training that any of them were given. Now matching ammunition to the specific firearm is certainly sound advice, but I wondered how many range mishaps these two idiots were responsible for. I’m sure there was an awful lot of people that stopped in this place on the way to the range I was going to as it was on the way and only about a mile or two away from the range. As for me, I left turned around and went home got my reloads and went back to the range. I’ve never been back in that store.

Would that be like warning a customer against shooting 22 long rifle in a handgun since it's obviously not a rifle?

mobilemail
11-15-2023, 11:34 PM
I usually shoot at the local indoor range on Saturdays, the same day they offer the first-time CCW classes. It's always interesting, occasionally entertaining and periodically scary to hear the range master stories after the students shoot their qualification rounds. I've decided it takes a good deal of bravery and patience to be a range master.

paul edward
11-16-2023, 05:01 AM
An uncle bought an 1894 Winchester from a neighbor who complained it was not accurate. To demonstrate, the neighbor loaded a few 30/30 cartridges and fired them at a nearby cardboard box without hitting it. (they were in a remote place) Uncle looked at the empties, commiserated, and made a very low offer mumbling something about parts. Neighbor left happy with a few bucks and my uncle ended up with a very accurate 38/55 rifle. I still have one of those empties.

nueces5
11-16-2023, 05:49 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SOOO GOOD!
Poor Mosin, I'd like to know how accurate he was.
I have seen a 9mm case purchased to shoot a 38 Super colt 1911.
Some think it is like using regular or premium gasoline.
Others of us know that it is like using gasoline or diesel, hahahahaha

jdgabbard
11-16-2023, 11:57 AM
About the goofiest guy at the range was shooting a Rossi levergun in .45 Colt he had the right ammo but said something about .45 short colt we told him there is no such thing.

Had he said something like that to me I would have thought he was talking about 45 Schofield, 45 Government or whatever the Army called it back then. As that is effectively what it is, a 45 Colt Short. But I definitely wouldn't have guessed 45 ACP.

rintinglen
11-16-2023, 12:27 PM
Back around 1990, I saw a pair of thug-life looking fellows wrapping 32 S&W shells with strips of tissue paper and firing them in a 38 Charter Arms. The cases were blown out in a funnel shape and the bullets were impacting all over (and around) the target at 5 yards... I reported them to the range officer and left.

technojock
11-17-2023, 10:37 PM
I've never had a bad day at the range but I had one slightly humorous story. A member and his friend were shooting a 9mm and a .45ACP. As the were packing up I took them a handful of their brass that landed in my area, they declined to take it and told me they just toss it. They looked at me as some kind of hobo as I went though the trash to recover about 4 boxes of brass...

charlie b
11-17-2023, 10:39 PM
ROFLMAO, yep, been there, done that.

A few of the CCW qualification classes I attended were smaller with folks who didn't reload. At the end of the class they looked at me funny as I collected all of it.

One of our indoor ranges didn't care about brass on the floor and had a few long handle brooms. Whenever I got a chance I'd sweep up all the brass I could reach. The staff like it cause it saved them some work at the end of the day.

Walstr
11-18-2023, 04:19 PM
I've been 'lucky' at our public range. Most of the folks at least know which end the bullet comes out and I haven't seen anything unsafe.

During the hunting season we get a lot of folks zeroing guns. Many have bought the guns yesterday and are zeroing the gun on the way to hunt. Most take advice well and actually welcome someone helping them. At least all of them had the correct ammo :)

Our annual fall sightin is a good fund raiser for the club. One RSO/customer + an RSO dedicated for "check-in" to verify ammo is correct. Amazing how little native curiosity concerns some folks. I too look for body language clues.

One 30-something had his scope on backwards. It was a cheap ***, so hard to tell ocular from objective lens!

Like a previous member said, I too don't want to be near the next Darwin award ceremony!

Walstr
11-18-2023, 04:20 PM

A few of the CCW qualification classes I attended were smaller with folks who didn't reload. At the end of the class they looked at me funny as I collected all of it.

One of our indoor ranges didn't care about brass on the floor and had a few long handle brooms. Whenever I got a chance I'd sweep up all the brass I could reach. The staff like it cause it saved them some work at the end of the day.

Yeah but, don't they sell it for smelting $$ income?

Winger Ed.
11-18-2023, 04:25 PM
They looked at me as some kind of hobo as I went though the trash to recover about 4 boxes of brass...

I was at the public range years back and saw a guy sighting in for the upcoming season.
He had a high end Weatherby with a scope on it the size of your leg.

He got done, picked up his brass, went over to the trash can and was rooting around taking all the rifle brass he could reach.
My buddy pointed over and said, "Look, that guy is beating us to the range brass we aren't supposed to take".
Then he went over and got into a new Mercedes. One of the real big like diplomats have to drive them around.

I thought to myself, 'Getting rich is hard, but staying rich takes a lot of work'.

Walstr
11-18-2023, 04:25 PM
An uncle bought an 1894 Winchester from a neighbor who complained it was not accurate. To demonstrate, the neighbor loaded a few 30/30 cartridges and fired them at a nearby cardboard box without hitting it. (they were in a remote place) Uncle looked at the empties, commiserated, and made a very low offer mumbling something about parts. Neighbor left happy with a few bucks and my uncle ended up with a very accurate 38/55 rifle. I still have one of those empties.

WOW...I fellow gun show vendor found a beautiful $10K 38-70 Winchester to buy for a song.

M-Tecs
11-18-2023, 04:30 PM
I was at the public range years back and saw a guy sighting in for the upcoming season.
He had a high end Weatherby with a scope on it the size of your leg.

He got done, picked up his brass, went over to the trash can and was rooting around taking all the rifle brass he could reach.
My buddy pointed over and said, "Look, that guy is beating us to the range brass we aren't supposed to take".
Then he went over and got into a new Mercedes. One of the real big like diplomats have to drive them around.

I thought to myself, 'Getting rich is hard, but staying rich takes a lot of work'.

Was there a sign or posted rules stating to not take brass out of the trash?

Winger Ed.
11-18-2023, 04:39 PM
Was there a sign or posted rules stating to not take brass out of the trash?

Oh yeah.
They sweep fairly often and there are signs on all the ranges that say 'all brass on the ground belongs to the range'.

I was on good terms with the range masters and they'd let me sweep & take what I wanted if it wasn't busy.
They said it saved them the trouble of doing it themselves.

That's why I never learned to anele rifle brass. With a few thousand each of the common calibers I load,
.30-06, .308, .30-30, and plenty Magnums in .300 & 7Mag, I've never fired any of them enough to worry about it.

Other than that, they were pretty strict about brass. You were welcome to take your own, but that was all.
They sorted and sold once fired rifle brass at the time for $5.oo per 100 common stuff and 50 of belted Magnums.
And sorted pistol brass sold by the pound for about double what the scrap yard would pay.
2-3 times a year they fill what didn't sell into 5 gallon buckets in one layer of a pick up bed, and it went to the scrap yard.

frkelly74
11-18-2023, 11:56 PM
I have seen some things, There was a guy trying to sight in his shotgun for deer season. From his viewpoint he could see his slugs hitting high on the bank. So he adjusted his scope down to get on the target. Next string hit higher. He became angry and would not listen to me telling him he was hitting the ground about half way to the target and his slugs were skipping to a high impact on the bank. He needed to come up, not down but could not accept that I might be right. Then there was the guy loading bird shot in his Muzzle loading pistol and shooting at a piece of plywood about 10 yards out. First shot produced some ricochet and he got hit hard enough to make little red marks on his exposed flesh. Oddly , he thought , second shot same result . And there was the guy trying to shoot a 9mm parabellum pistol using 9mm Makarov ammo. The guy at the gun store said it would work. It didn't.

Wooserco
01-06-2024, 05:28 PM
Last weekend I helped my club at sight in days we have four more days coming very few shooters came out .
I had one Lady with A Winchester model 94 with a side mount scope was shooting all over so I said let me check your mounts . Sure enough the mounts to the side of the rifle and the mounts to the scope rings were loose . To make things worse the scope was turned so left and right was up & down and up &down left and right I verified what was what and wrote it down . After tightening the mounts she was shooting small 50 yard groups with the 30-30 .
Another guy was shooting a .300 Blackout and he complained about the blast from a guy at the other end of the range . I told him he is shooting the same weight bullet as you but over a 1000 f/s faster. He was shooting a .300 Weatherby with Weatherby 150 grain ammunition . He was having terrible trouble getting the scope set I forget the brand it has the locking up down ring and the adjustments were very stiff.

I have seen a bunch of things mentioned above the past few years .270 in 30-06 . 41 mag in .44 mag 30-30 in .32 Sp. and found 9 mm cases there fired in a .40 S&W. About the goofiest guy at the range was shooting a Rossi levergun in .45 Colt he had the right ammo but said something about .45 short colt we told him there is no such thing. He got the gun sighted then it jammed the last shot was 6" high at 25 yards and there was an ejected .45 acp case with the next one jamming the gun . He had a few in a jacket pocket and it was high end self defense ammo , no harm was done to the gun or him -this time!
Last year I did see a nice old Remington 740 JAMMED by a reload the owner bought from a gun show it was a over pressure load that stuck in the chamber and the case rim was ripped off . I got the stuck case out and told the guy to have the gun looked at by a gunsmith before trying to shoot it again. It looked OKAY and seemed to lock but who would want to chance a cracked locking lug or some other issue , The primer pocket was HUGE and the shell was very tight in the chamber.

That wouldn't be Cadillac Sportsman's Club, would it? I'm a member there. Used to shoot high power rifle. Life got in the way and now only use the range for load development and recreation. Great club, people and facilities.

Advil
01-06-2024, 06:22 PM
There actually is a round frequently called 45 Short Colt... 45 Cowboy Special. You can buy it retail through Starline. Used for a few odd guns and probably mostly a handful of cowboy action shooters to reduce case volume.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/45-cowboy-special

But I doubt that guy knew it. :)

15meter
01-06-2024, 06:52 PM
Couple things that struck me odd over the years:

25 years ago I was near a fellow who was forming 220 Swift Improved, and had a puzzled look, so I asked him why. He noted nearly all his primers were failing, and wondered why. I asked him about the load -- 'non max powder charge' was his reply. I asked him about the bullet, it looked like a Hornady. He said it was - 70 grain. I told him that the 70 grain Hornady SP was Not 224, it was 227 inch, and shouldn't be used in that gun. Impossible he said, his friend gave them to him for that purpose.
Some people don't know enough to own wildcats.

Another memorable experience was recent.
Fella I had met a few times was sighting in a 223 Ruger 77 VT rifle at 50 yds. Nothing was hitting target. I asked him about looking down the bore and aligning scope to it. He said "why? a different load all hit the target yesterday, just a bit high". I asked him about bullet weight, said the ones the day I talked to him were 55s. I said that should probably be OK. He said, the target from yesterday is still hanging, and wanted me to see how close they were to the aiming point, so we walked down range. We got there, and I asked him what the weight of the bullets were he shot the other day. 70 grain match bullets he said.
I had never in my life would have believed this could happen: 5 shots at 50 yds, all within a probably 2 inch circle, and all completely sideways ~ 1 - 1.2" slots. Yes, 5 completely unstable bullets all "grouped" during sighting on a 50 yd target.
I told him that the R77 was a 223, not 5.56 spec for twist and that this was very likely either 1:12 or 1:14 which would not stabilize a pointy match 70 gr bullets like a 1:7 5.56 chamber in a typical AR platform rifle would. He looked at me Very puzzled. I still kick myself for not taking his target after he left. Statistical oddities are interesting.

We call those sideways bullet holes "line cutters" or "cheater loads". We had an experienced hand loader show up with a new cast boolit load to try at our local military rifle match. He had 20 out of 20 hit the paper side ways and almost won the match. It was amazing how well they actually grouped.

Next time I see him, I'll ask him what caliber it was, it may have been a 7.5x55.

He decided he needed a little more load development before the next match. Half a dozen years later he's still getting razzed about the "line cutters".

CastingFool
01-06-2024, 07:01 PM

When I was qualifying for my cpl, I asked the instructors if it was OK for me to pick up my brass, as I was reloaded my ammo. They had no problem with that. Matter of fact, one of them mentioned they liked to see those 45 holes I was putting on the target, everyone else were shooting 9's. When the shooting was over, I started picking up my brass, and to my surprise, a bunch of other students started picking up brass and dropping it into my bucket. I think I ended up with 4 lbs of brass.

fredj338
01-06-2024, 10:04 PM

Further proof most gunshop guys dont know poop.
My boss bought a new M27 a couple years ago. He went to the LGS for ammo & asked for 357s. He came back with 100rds of 357sig which he has no pistol for.

nelsonted1
01-07-2024, 02:14 AM
I was in a pistol match a few years ago. A bullet out of my 1911 came back and struck the bottom of my glasses lifting them up a 1/2" which really scared me. I said the steel plate had to be adjusted. They ignored me. The next guy had much heavier load in his 1911. The first round came back hitting him in the chest hitting him hard enough he bent way over clutching himself with both hands. I complained to the range employee. He said he wasn't going to do it. He said we all signed waivers so suck it up. I didn't go back

Ted

nelsonted1
01-07-2024, 02:23 AM
Even with waiver signed having a complaint and doing nothing about it is probably forcing on negligence.

Also, I was at a gun show in the early 1990s. Usually at opening on a Sunday the dealers are talking to each other having a good time. That morning it was as silent as a tomb. I asked what happened. I was told one of the guys was at a bowling pin match in Iowa and a .45 ball bullet came back hitting him in the forehead killing him. The guys were thinking about how it could have been them. .45 ball is notorious for rebounding.

poppy42
01-07-2024, 04:34 AM
I have seen some things, There was a guy trying to sight in his shotgun for deer season. From his viewpoint he could see his slugs hitting high on the bank. So he adjusted his scope down to get on the target. Next string hit higher. He became angry and would not listen to me telling him he was hitting the ground about half way to the target and his slugs were skipping to a high impact on the bank. He needed to come up, not down but could not accept that I might be right. Then there was the guy loading bird shot in his Muzzle loading pistol and shooting at a piece of plywood about 10 yards out. First shot produced some ricochet and he got hit hard enough to make little red marks on his exposed flesh. Oddly , he thought , second shot same result . And there was the guy trying to shoot a 9mm parabellum pistol using 9mm Makarov ammo. The guy at the gun store said it would work. It didn't.
I shoot a lot of Makarov (9x18). You would be amazed how many people think it’s perfectly fine to shoot 380 (9x17)out of a gun chambered for 9x18! I even saw someone try 9x19 out of a Makarov! Thankfully the chamber was not deep enough and the gun wouldn’t go into battery! Considering how much higher pressure 9x19 is!

BobT
01-07-2024, 05:33 AM
The .300 Win Mag will not fit in a .257 Weatherby chamber. It must have been something else.

The remnants of the belted case I extracted from the chamber said .300 Winchester. I never would have believed it, but that's what came out of the chamber when I was finally able to open it.

StrawHat
01-07-2024, 08:47 AM
Further proof most gunshop guys dont know poop.
My boss bought a new M27 a couple years ago. He went to the LGS for ammo & asked for 357s. He came back with 100rds of 357sig which he has no pistol for.

Sounds like your boss doesn’t know any better either.

Kevin

StrawHat
01-07-2024, 08:51 AM
Several times, I've been on the line next to someone with a new handgun. I'll finally hear the guy say something along the lines of, "This is the worst gun I've ever had. Can't hit anything with it." Along with some salty language, of course.

Finally, I said, "Do you mind if I try it?" I tried it and it shot just fine, small groups, at or new the bullseye. I'm no great shooter by any stretch of the imagination but it's not usually problematic at short ranges.

The owner of the gun would tell me something like, "Wow, how did you do that?"

I'd reply, "Just doing the basics. If you like, I can show you some different things."

"Sure!"

In about ten minutes of coaching on basic grip, trigger control, sight picture and sight alignment, stance, etc., the guy would be on target and thanking me profusely. Occasionally someone would offer to pay me but I always decline. It just feels like paying it forward.

--Wag--

Out of four pages of posts, this is the only one that shows someone helping a new shooter learn the sport. I guess everyone else is too busy. Or we expect new shooters to know everything about the sport.

Kevin

Shanghai Jack
01-07-2024, 09:04 AM

The famous muzzleloading single shot 9x40 semiauto. Only fits in the chamber that way.

Larry Gibson
01-07-2024, 09:35 AM

Entirely probable the cases were formed from 300 WM cases. There have been several confirmed S.E.E.s with the 257 Weatherby cartridge.

dipstick
01-07-2024, 11:11 AM
7 MM mag will chamber in 300 Win mag. Cases come out with really short neck and group looks like a shotgun pattern.

Another occasion, two show up to sight in for hunting season. The “expert” had done all the reloading. First guy says “is this normal?”. “Sure, that’s the way it’s supposed to be”.

They had to beat the bolt open on every round. I left. They didn’t want my opinion.

dondiego
01-07-2024, 12:13 PM
Out of four pages of posts, this is the only one that shows someone helping a new shooter learn the sport. I guess everyone else is too busy. Or we expect new shooters to know everything about the sport.

Kevin

Many of the newer shooters at the range already know more than I do and rarely accept my recommendations.

15meter
01-07-2024, 09:20 PM
Many of the newer shooters at the range already know more than I do and rarely accept my recommendations.

Like the guy at Maybee walking around with a loaded AK, one in the chamber and a full magazine sweeping the line with the muzzle. I asked him politely to clear the action and remove the magazine until I instructed him to load for the stage at a military shoot.

He told me that he was perfectly safe, he had been in the army and knew how to handle firearms.

It took about 3 seconds for it to get a little testy. He did clear the rifle, but I made it abundantly clear he did not need to come back.

He was offended.

Didn't bother me a whole lot.

But I'm a jerk.

justindad
01-07-2024, 09:28 PM
My rule is that if I need to act stern in order to make a situation right, the other guy is the jerk for putting me in that position. Walking around with a loaded gun like that ought to get you booted from any range where there’s more than one person to a berm.

Shanghai Jack
01-07-2024, 10:46 PM
I love listening to the people at the range who tell me I'm going to blow up my gun when I'm breach seating. Then on the other hand, I've seen people hammering a bolt down to get the round into the chamber.

Recycled bullet
01-07-2024, 11:41 PM
So as I was practicing shooting I happened to turn around and look at the floor and saw splotches of blood. Bright red splotches, completely unmistakable with anything else. This was concerning so I looked around and I saw in the lane next to me was a young man maybe in his twenties and an older gentleman in his mid-60s. They were taking turns shooting some old pistols. I saw he was bleeding from his hand and it was leaking on the floor. I saw this and I asked him if he needed help? Does he need to call a ceasefire?? Does he need medical attention, is everything okay? Why is there blood pooled on the ground all around his shoes leaking from his obviously cut hands -to which he replied "NO I'm not bleeding" and put his hands behind his back like a child hiding a candy wrapper.

I ended up talking to the younger man when the older man went to take a bathroom break. The problem was is the older gentleman was crossing his thumbs over each other and when the slide reciprocated it was cutting him badly.

Recycled bullet
01-07-2024, 11:49 PM
Another time I was shooting and the guy in the next lane was obviously very new and inexperienced. I'd estimate he was in his 50s or 60s. I watched him do some Strange Behaviors. First he loaded the magazine, put it in the gun, cycle the slide to charge the pistol, remove the magazine set the pistol down on the bench, then he picked up the pistol and as he was picking it up with his finger touching the trigger he bumped the trigger with his finger and it startled him so bad when the gun fired I couldn't tell if he forgot the gun was loaded or if he just was unable to comprehend firing cycle of semi-automatic pistols. He also couldn't understand how removing the magazine still allowed the handgun to fire. He did this twice and so I asked him if he needed help, and I explained to him that removing the magazine does not unload the barrel, told me no he has an instruction manual and he'll just practice reading it and I'll respect the willingness to read that but at the same time I'm not going to get shot up by a ******* so I packed up my stuff and left and notified the range officer that man needs some help to operate his pistol.

Recycled bullet
01-08-2024, 12:04 AM
Another time I was shooting at a different range I took my father with me to go shooting for his birthday. As we are shooting one of us will shoot the other one will load magazines, and I make a habit of periodically looking around for stupid stuff happening when I'm loading mags. In the lane immediately adjacent there was a young couple probably in the early twenties a man and a woman taking turns shooting a rental Glock. What caught my attention was she was taking a selfie picture of herself with the handgun but the problem was she was holding the loaded gun across her breast which was now pointed at my dad's head!! The plywood and carpet Lane dividers are not bulletproof! And even if they were made of half inch steel plate that would still be completely unacceptable ! There seem to be some sort of language issue I think they were foreign exchange students from Korea. She couldn't or would not understand why it was not a good idea to point a gun in any direction other than down range. I called a cease fire then the range officer wanted to argue with me about how it wasn't a big deal!! He said something real ignorant " nobody got hurt so it's okay" . Then he got upset when I went to complain to management. And this is why I don't shoot at that range anymore.

dtknowles
01-08-2024, 01:38 AM
Even with waiver signed having a complaint and doing nothing about it is probably forcing on negligence.

Also, I was at a gun show in the early 1990s. Usually at opening on a Sunday the dealers are talking to each other having a good time. That morning it was as silent as a tomb. I asked what happened. I was told one of the guys was at a bowling pin match in Iowa and a .45 ball bullet came back hitting him in the forehead killing him. The guys were thinking about how it could have been them. .45 ball is notorious for rebounding.

Funny you say that, I was just shooting with a friend today and he told a story about 45's rebonding off a berm that had tires to stabilize the dirt.

Texas by God
01-08-2024, 10:54 AM
Shooting at tires is dumb.
“It ain’t like the movies.”
I found that out at age sixteen or so when a 220 gr SWC from my .41 Blackhawk rebounded from an already flat tire and smacked me in the shin hard enough to hurt!
Using tires in the backstop wasn’t the best idea they had that day.

dondiego
01-08-2024, 12:17 PM
Like the guy at Maybee walking around with a loaded AK, one in the chamber and a full magazine sweeping the line with the muzzle. I asked him politely to clear the action and remove the magazine until I instructed him to load for the stage at a military shoot.

He told me that he was perfectly safe, he had been in the army and knew how to handle firearms.

It took about 3 seconds for it to get a little testy. He did clear the rifle, but I made it abundantly clear he did not need to come back.

He was offended.

Didn't bother me a whole lot.

But I'm a jerk.

But........but............he told you that he was safe! He was experienced!

JoeJames
01-08-2024, 01:11 PM
Years ago my hunting buddy and I were out at our local range. Some boys with the local police department showed up to do some shooting. They had an 870 12 gauge and a cardboard box full of shells. One fired it a time or two and then had a jam. No range officer there. No such thing down here. Anyway we walked over to help clear the jam. Turned out there were 16 gauge shells in the box too. They had managed to find one and drop it into the 870. The 16 gauge went into the forcing cone, but thankfully not as far as a 20 gauge. Therefore a 12 gauge shell would not quite go in far enough to close the bolt completely, and therefore it would not fire. We cleared the jam, explained what had happened, and then got behind my truck until they were finished.

Wag
01-08-2024, 02:21 PM

Kevin

I'm complimented. Thank you.

This happens a lot too. Some men believe they should know everything and take on that macho, tough guy approach to life. Rather than learn and try to understand what they don't know.

--Wag--

Slugster
01-08-2024, 03:24 PM
About 20 years ago I had a fellow set his rifle on a shooting bench next to me, went back to his car for the ammo. He came back, loaded the rifle and fired a couple times. Couldn't hit the side of a barn if he was locked inside it. Asked if I would look at his rifle. He had just purchased it from Wallyville with 2 boxes of ammo. I looked it over and told him that it looked ok, except he was shooting .30-30 out of a .35 Remington. Now that was some funny looking fired brass.
About that time the wind shifted an I smelled liquor on his breath. Told the RSO and they made the guy leave. All this and at 10:00 a.m. to boot. Not going to let a yahoo run me off the range.

El Bibliotecario
01-08-2024, 03:37 PM
I will happily be run off a range if the alternative is needless risk to my life, but that's just me. It is also why I shoot alone.

Gray Fox
01-08-2024, 04:04 PM
Some of the above is why I recently put one of the genuine Israeli tourniquets in my range first aid kit. It's been a while since I was Red Cross instructor certified, but I could lend a hand in the interim. Ever notice that a lot of ranges aren't too close to medical care, unless it might be a volunteer fire company medic? GF

Daver7
01-08-2024, 04:46 PM
Some of the above is why I recently put one of the genuine Israeli tourniquets in my range first aid kit. It's been a while since I was Red Cross instructor certified, but I could lend a hand in the interim. Ever notice that a lot of ranges aren't too close to medical care, unless it might be a volunteer fire company medic? GF

Good idea, Adding that to my range kit. Thanks

charlie b
01-08-2024, 06:54 PM
FWIW, everyone should have a decent first aid set in all of their vehicles. At least a sterile compression bandage and tape. I also like to have the newer 'gel' bandages. Alcohol wipes, steri-strips, etc. Benedryl and aspirin (helps for heart attacks) are also handy. If you have a tourniquet learn how to use it. Ask an EMT for a list.

PS the commercial 1st Aid Kits are mostly junk for serious emergency treatment.

Winger Ed.
01-08-2024, 07:17 PM
Back in the city, our public range was very strictly watched over by the range masters.
I never had any horror stories to bring home from there.

One hot Summer day I was there with my M1A, and a young fella with a new AR was close.
He did Ok & all, then came over to look at the M1A and chat.

I told him my history with it and M-14s.
He asked if I knew how to field strip a AR to clean it.

I told him, "Sure. I'll show ya".
Then opened it and took out the bolt, then took it apart.

He thanked me, and trying not to laugh, I told him, "Well, there ya are, and I gotta go".......
Then he said, "Hey,,,, can you show me how to put it back together"?

I told him, "Oh yeah".
Then looking at the Coke machine behind us, said, "But we're going to get thirsty doing it".

I didn't think it was possible, but he was back with two cans of Coke in about 2 1/2 seconds.

fredj338
01-08-2024, 08:23 PM
I was in a pistol match a few years ago. A bullet out of my 1911 came back and struck the bottom of my glasses lifting them up a 1/2" which really scared me. I said the steel plate had to be adjusted. They ignored me. The next guy had much heavier load in his 1911. The first round came back hitting him in the chest hitting him hard enough he bent way over clutching himself with both hands. I complained to the range employee. He said he wasn't going to do it. He said we all signed waivers so suck it up. I didn't go back

Ted

How close? There is a reason that IDPA has a 10y minimum for steel. Steel should be angled down & be in good condition with zero dimples. Once the steel is dimpled, bullets can do odd things. CAS was terrible about this years ago. We would shoot steel well inside 10y & many times it was just not set up correctly. I saw my share of injuries.

fredj338
01-08-2024, 08:27 PM
I avoid public ranges, indoor or outdoor, like a plague. The avg joe shooter is truly an idiot waiting to cause an accident. I have left ranges in the past when people started doing stupid things. Even some private ranges are a problem. I have more than once went & sat in my car until the unsafe idiots left the range.

BobT
01-08-2024, 11:48 PM
Entirely probable the cases were formed from 300 WM cases. There have been several confirmed S.E.E.s with the 257 Weatherby cartridge.

This guy isn't a handloader. he picked up a round of somebody else's ammo. I still have the barreled action laying on my tool box at the shop, I'll investigate a little further next time I go in.

jimb16
01-09-2024, 07:47 PM
I was shooting on an outdoor range next to a guy who was shooting a single shot .69 cal. ml pistol. The target frame was weather hardened oak. A split second after he fired, I was hit in the shin by his lead round ball! MAN! that stung! The lead ball bounced back off the wood frame and hit with enough velocity to raise a large bruise on my leg. Large diameter bullets at lower velocities seem to bounce back with annoying frequency!

frkelly74
01-09-2024, 09:03 PM

Kevin

My experience has been that people are already angry with their situation and can't or won't listen to someone trying to help. It's like they think you are butting in. Now if I am approached by someone asking for advice or help, I am willing to joyfully help them.

Rockindaddy
01-09-2024, 09:57 PM
Normally at my PA farm I have several shooting ranges. When in Florida all winter as a "snow duck" I go to a small range that my friend owns that borders the Everglades. Plenty of shooters arrive from Miami, FL. Was done shooting and talking to my friend when we observed a young shooter banging away. He was holding the autoloader 9mm sideways and would push the pistol forward so as to maybe add a bit more velocity to the bullet traveling down range. The owner of the range and I continued to observe this shooter. I was laughing at this strange shooting stance. The range owner explained that those shooters, shoot like that because that is the way the pistol comes in the box!!! Ahhhhh!!! Perfectly logical !!!! About this time our unusual shooter ran out of 9mm ammo. He walked over to us and asked if anyone had an extra box of 9mm for sale. He said his new "9" was not hitting very well. Shots were all over the target. I told him that I had an extra box that I would sell to him. He paid me and went back to thumbing ammo into a magazine. I walked over to him and asked how he acquired his unusual shooting stance. He said he watched TV and that's how it's done. I kinda felt sorry for this shooter and offered to help him improve his shooting. I demonstrated a two hand hold on the pistol holding it vertically instead of sideways. With a pen and paper I drew a proper sight picture showing him where to hold on the target. His shooting greatly improved. This kid was so happy with his new pistol. He thanked me and continued with his new shooting form!!!!! Made this ole' guy happy to see a young new shooter enjoying his new hobby.

charlie b
01-09-2024, 11:08 PM
Yep, many of the new hunters ask for help a lot. Had one guy and son and they were confused about the trajectory data on the box and how to apply it to the rifle. Another was loading a ML with pellets that he was loading backwards. I introduced him to loose powder and he was even happier.

FWIW, the idiots are the ones who refuse help or get mad when you suggest an improvement.

I haven't been hit by a 'bounce back' but it was close (hit a box next to me).

fredj338
01-10-2024, 04:38 PM
My experience has been that people are already angry with their situation and can't or won't listen to someone trying to help. It's like they think you are butting in. Now if I am approached by someone asking for advice or help, I am willing to joyfully help them.

^^THIS^^ I have offered help in the distant past only to be told to mind my own business. So I am fine with someone shooting themselves or their friends, just not me. I'll be glad to call 911, maybe.

AndyC
01-10-2024, 11:53 PM
My curiosity got the better of me and I found out that they fit into each other. The casings were headstamped 9 mm. Maybe they were fired in a 40 Smith & Wesson???
I can guarantee it. I was once an RSO at a range and I noticed bulged cases from a guy, who proceeded to tell me that .40 ammo was too expensive so he was shooting 9mm through his .40 instead.

Winger Ed.
01-11-2024, 12:34 AM
I can guarantee it. I was once an RSO at a range and I noticed bulged cases from a guy, who proceeded to tell me that .40 ammo was too expensive so he was shooting 9mm through his .40 instead.

I stopped a guy once from doing something like that..... or worse maybe.
He'd gone to the range one time with a buddy after he'd inherited a .30-30.
His buddy had & was shooting a lever action .38/.357.

He said from now on, he'd shoot .38s in his lever action because they were cheaper.
I asked him what he thought would happen when that 38caliber bullet tried to go down through the 30 caliber hole.
It was another, "Hmmmm, I never thought about that".

35 Rem
01-14-2024, 09:34 PM
I stopped a guy once from doing something like that..... or worse maybe.
He'd gone to the range one time with a buddy after he'd inherited a .30-30.
His buddy had & was shooting a lever action .38/.357.

He said from now on, he'd shoot .38s in his lever action because they were cheaper.
I asked him what he thought would happen when that 38caliber bullet tried to go down through the 30 caliber hole.
It was another, "Hmmmm, I never thought about that".

Yeah, there are a bunch of gun owners who really don't grasp what the individual components of a cartridge are or what their function is. One of the wholesale gun suppliers I order from added something to their catalog several years back that truly startled and disappointed me. Now understand again, this is not a Retail catalog I'm talking about, it's for FFL holders only. The bullet section of the catalog started referring to bullets as "Bullet Tips" and specifying that these were bullets only. The thought of somebody holding a FFL and selling guns that doesn't know what a "bullet" is and calls them "Bullet Tips" is frightening to me.

elmacgyver0
01-14-2024, 10:19 PM
It is not just limited to firearms and ammo.

steve urquell
01-14-2024, 10:46 PM
Yeah, there are a bunch of gun owners who really don't grasp what the individual components of a cartridge are or what their function is. One of the wholesale gun suppliers I order from added something to their catalog several years back that truly startled and disappointed me. Now understand again, this is not a Retail catalog I'm talking about, it's for FFL holders only. The bullet section of the catalog started referring to bullets as "Bullet Tips" and specifying that these were bullets only. The thought of somebody holding a FFL and selling guns that doesn't know what a "bullet" is and calls them "Bullet Tips" is frightening to me.

How about "bullet primers"?

35 Rem
01-15-2024, 12:57 AM
How about "bullet primers"?

Incredible, ain't it? How can you load ammo and not understand that a case, primer, powder and bullet are assembled to make up a cartridge? The whole thing ain't no "Bullet"! :)

Texas by God
01-15-2024, 11:28 AM
Growing up here in North Texas, all guns used “shells”-
As in; “Hey, you got any .22 shells? Shotgun shells, 30-30 shells?”
But we know that bullets ain’t “tips, projos, or heads!”

murf205
01-15-2024, 01:26 PM
It's not just at the range either. A friend was waiting to launch his boat when 2 guys were trying to put a brand new fish and ski boat back on the trailer. The guy in the truck yelled "hold that thing still and I'll back the trailer under it"!! Needless to say, that boat didn't look brand new after that.

35 Rem
01-15-2024, 01:43 PM
But we know that bullets ain’t “tips, projos, or heads!”

Being a educated Redneck myself I can identify with calling them Shells for sure. :) I don't like being overly formal in spite of how the previous post may have sounded. What I cringe at is an obvious lack of understanding of even the basics of ammunition especially by people such as FFL holders who are supposed to know better.

redhawk0
01-15-2024, 05:06 PM

I think this is generational. My dad still calls everything a shell. And here I thought it was a PA redneck thing.

redhawk

Texas by God
01-15-2024, 05:30 PM
And empty shells were hulls.

dtknowles
01-18-2024, 12:09 AM
I think this is generational. My dad still calls everything a shell. And here I thought it was a PA redneck thing.

redhawk

That's shotgun shooter talk. There is guns and there is ammo. Ammo, cartridges, loaded rounds. Empties are cases or brass even if make of steel. If shotgun, shells and hulls or just empties. Calling loaded rounds, bullets is like calling magazines clips, just kind of ok, not everyone has to use perfect terminology. The thing about calling "Primers" "bullet primers" yeah, kind of lame but Primer can mean a lot of things, it can be paint or an introductory educational text or exercise. Bullet primers while it seems lame is about the best phrase to differentiating the component used it the production of ammunition from all the other kinds of primers there are. Even ammunition primer might be misconstrued as an introductory course in ammunition. Of course context clarifies everything if the reader has a clue.
Tim

charlie b
01-18-2024, 12:08 PM
car·tridge
/ˈkärtrij/
noun
noun: cartridge; plural noun: cartridges
-a container holding a spool of photographic film, a quantity of ink, or other item or substance, designed for insertion into a mechanism.
Similar:
cassette
magazine
cylinder
canister
container
capsule
case
pack
packet
package
-a casing containing a charge and a bullet or shot for small arms or an explosive charge for blasting.
Similar:
bullet
round
shell
charge
shot
casing
-a component carrying the stylus on the pickup head of a record player.
---------------

FWIW, I use the term ammo or round for a complete cartridge. Probably from military. Rounds more often when not referring to a mag full. Probably due to time in tanks.

PS when talking to wife or other friends I will use the terms ammunition, magazine, and rounds of ammunition, just to make sure they understand what I am referring to. No abbreviations.

Ezana4CE
01-18-2024, 12:56 PM

@405grain You have got to be kidding. :kidding: I would've high tailed it the hell up out of there quick as soon as I saw the alcohol!! Then there were homes in the backdrop? Are you serious? That's nuts!

doc watson
01-18-2024, 07:09 PM
+1 on Dicks

Hanzy4200
01-19-2024, 04:39 PM
I've found blown out .357 SIG cases multiple times at the range. Clearly fired from a .40 S&W chamber.

AndyC
01-26-2024, 12:32 PM
In Africa, an "empty cassette" is a spare magazine and "spin barrels" are revolvers. Anything stainless or chrome is automatically a "magnum" and "bullet heads" are the projectiles.

Larry Gibson
01-26-2024, 12:50 PM
And that is why Africa is/was called "The Dark Continent". The name has nothing to do with the color of the people either. Has to do with Africa having still been in the dark ages.....

jim 44-40
01-26-2024, 12:59 PM
Every time I go to the range, I'll see a handful of once used ear plugs laying all over the ground. Guess they are one time use only.

dtknowles
01-26-2024, 03:30 PM
Every time I go to the range, I'll see a handful of once used ear plugs laying all over the ground. Guess they are one time use only.

It is bad enough that people don't reuse them but to throw them on the ground (littering) is shameful. Some people seem to think it is someone else's job to pick up after them.
Tim

castmiester
01-28-2024, 02:34 AM
Guy had a 500 S&W. Bullet stopped between the cylinder and forcing cone so he couldn’t swing open the cylinder. Didn’t know what he did wrong with his hand load. I said you forgot to charge the case or crimp the bullet and recoil started the bullet on it way. He shrugged his shoulders. I contemplated to drive the bullet back enough to be able to release the cylinder, but others next to us discouraged me. I didn’t hesitate not to do it. So we took it apart enough to open the cylinder.

charlie b
01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
FWIW, ramming the bullet back in the cyl can bend the crane, even with good support at the rear of the frame. Yep, based on experience :)

When I watched a good gunsmith do it he drilled out the center of the bullet to make it easier to push and had a jig made that secured the cyl, not putting any stress on the crane.

Recycled bullet
01-28-2024, 10:35 AM
The worst stupidity is intentional stupidity.

2TM101
01-28-2024, 11:22 AM
I was shooting on an outdoor range next to a guy who was shooting a single shot .69 cal. ml pistol. The target frame was weather hardened oak. A split second after he fired, I was hit in the shin by his lead round ball! MAN! that stung! The lead ball bounced back off the wood frame and hit with enough velocity to raise a large bruise on my leg. Large diameter bullets at lower velocities seem to bounce back with annoying frequency!

Overly light load. When I hit the frame with my Tower pistol (65 cal) it literally blows the frame apart and everyone else stops shooting and stares at me. The different sound and all the smoke sometime causes that to happen anyway

2TM101
01-28-2024, 11:31 AM
FWIW, ramming the bullet back in the cyl can bend the crane, even with good support at the rear of the frame. Yep, based on experience :)

When I watched a good gunsmith do it he drilled out the center of the bullet to make it easier to push and had a jig made that secured the cyl, not putting any stress on the crane.

I actually did this yesterday when my super light load squibbed. So if any of you do super light loads, you can make loads that work with plain lead conventionally lubed bullets that will squib if you load a powdercoated bullet instead. Something that only matters at absolutely bare minimum charges, but I never saw that written anywhere.

Lance Boyle
01-29-2024, 12:07 AM
I love it when the guy next to you says their handgun won’t shoot, they flag you, you take it from them point it at the target and it shoots fine…

It’s a wonder why more people don’t accidentally get hurt then already do.

I had a young lad next to me at the club range having an awful time with an inherited military 1911a1. Inaccurate, stoppages were plaguing him. I was trying not to be that guy to butt in but after awhile I asked him if he was having trouble. I ended up answering a couple questions of his and he had me fire a few rounds. As I thought, the novice pistol shooter was limp wristing it and the gun was perfectly accurate for a GI 1911. I gave him some grip pointers and he had remedied the stoppages and now just needed practice for accuracy to get better.

Nice young man and didn’t flag me.

MOshooter
01-29-2024, 12:37 PM
I quit going to public ranges a long time ago

2TM101
01-29-2024, 02:24 PM

Thats going to get used as a quote somewhere, citing this as the source.

dtknowles
01-29-2024, 06:38 PM
Thats going to get used as a quote somewhere, citing this as the source.

That maybe but facts is facts. Not just some people but a lot of people should not own guns. That does not advocate for taking away their rights, more that they should choose not to own guns and should be punished it they misuse them.

Tim

15meter
01-29-2024, 07:47 PM

Back in my industrial sales days, the recommendation straight from the ear plug manufacturer was to never reuse foam ear plugs. The reason given was to prevent ear infections. I suspect the lawyers had a hand in that recommendation, trying to limit lawsuits.

As a sales guy I had no problem with it. More sales the better.

I reuse mine, when they come out they go into the watch pocket. They get washed every time the jeans get washed. About 3 washing is all they are good for. The dryer seems to change the density of the foam.

The wife does get annoyed, about 20% manage to free them selves from the watch pocket and float around in either the washer or the dryer.

Scorpion8
01-29-2024, 07:58 PM
My fav range story is a guy to the left of me shooting one of those tacti-cool super-heavy barrel chassis rifles on a tripod, scope large enough to see the remains of the Lunar Lander left on the moon. Had a tactical bag to carry it in, although it looked like he needed two more men n' boys to carry it. He was lamenting that our range only went to 300 yards, 'cause he wanted to zero for 1,000 yds so (his own words) "he could shoot a deer that he couldn't get to". I stopped, pondered that, and asked if he couldn't get to it, how was he going to retrieve the dead animal he just harvested, or worse wounded? (BTW, 20-yr Hunter's Ed instructor in Alaska). He blinked slowly with that recognition of "Geeze, I never thought of that" and blinked again slowly. I asked how he was going to carry that heavyweight up the mountainous tree-clogged hillsides of SE-AK or if he was going to have a commercial heli-lift take it to the top? Last I saw him he was sheepishly packing it up and left....

15meter
01-29-2024, 07:58 PM
That maybe but facts is facts. Not just some people but a lot of people should not own guns. That does not advocate for taking away their rights, more that they should choose not to own guns and should be punished it they misuse them.

Tim

Careful what you wish for, a number of European countries have testing requirements before you can own a firearm. My understanding it is not cheap or easy to qualify for gun ownership. I suspect that a number of comments made on this forum would disqualify a fair number of people from owning firearms.

There is a politically correct term for it "social responsibility" or some such silliness. I believe it started in China, social engineering on a grand scale. If you didn't speak, act or buy the accepted items, you risked being shunned.

popper
01-29-2024, 08:32 PM
Wife tried to load 40sw with 9mm until SIL stopped her. Old fellow at pistol range with cast in a revolver shot a couple and then started to go down range to look at target. Gal and BF had a silly little pocket 22 auto that wouldn't cycle. Tried it, then sent them to the RSO to see if he would CLEAN it. After cleaning and some OIL it worked fine.

dtknowles
01-29-2024, 08:39 PM
Back in my industrial sales days, the recommendation straight from the ear plug manufacturer was to never reuse foam ear plugs. The reason given was to prevent ear infections. I suspect the lawyers had a hand in that recommendation, trying to limit lawsuits.

I reuse mine, when they come out they go into the watch pocket. They get washed every time the jeans get washed. About 3 washing is all they are good for. The dryer seems to change the density of the foam.

The wife does get annoyed, about 20% manage to free them selves from the watch pocket and float around in either the washer or the dryer.

I guess I am resistant to ear infections. I reuse them a lot, many times, I never wash them. I have more pairs than I would count and can get more for free at the range or work. I have some still in the packages, some in little plastic boxes with a lanyard or chain. I have the old ones that are cylinders and the new ones that are bullet shaped and some that are multicolored. I throw them away sometimes but never just drop them on the ground and leave them.

Tim

SquibCity
01-29-2024, 08:42 PM
Its Crazy, even at the private range i'm a member at, People leave trash, ear plugs, and Junk everywhere.
I'd Hate to see how some of the people live at home.

dtknowles
01-29-2024, 08:44 PM
Careful what you wish for, a number of European countries have testing requirements before you can own a firearm. My understanding it is not cheap or easy to qualify for gun ownership. I suspect that a number of comments made on this forum would disqualify a fair number of people from owning firearms.

There is a politically correct term for it "social responsibility" or some such silliness. I believe it started in China, social engineering on a grand scale. If you didn't speak, act or buy the accepted items, you risked being shunned.

Not wishing for the government to take away our rights or impose harsh restrictions, I am wishing for people to understand their limitations and not exceed their abilities. I am wishing for people to be responsible. Would that my wishes come true. Not holding my breath.

Tim

2TM101
01-29-2024, 08:45 PM

You will eventually get the requirements I had to meet to be an armed guard on UCLA property. About one out of three people trying to get this job can't pass.

dtknowles
01-30-2024, 02:23 AM
You will eventually get the requirements I had to meet to be an armed guard on UCLA property. About one out of three people trying to get this job can't pass.

I had to pass a background check where they interviewed some of my high school friends and I am sure they checked every criminal data base the NSA can access. I don't know who else they interviewed but only my friends told me they were questioned but just because I am sure I can pass whatever does not mean I think they should do that to you just so you can buy a gun. Pretty much everyone who get the kind of screening I went through passes because if you are not going to pass you don't want them looking so you don't apply for jobs that require the clearance. Your employer has to pay for the screening, and it is tens of thousands of dollars.
Tim

kevin c
01-30-2024, 05:01 AM
Me, years ago in a local indoor range/shop with GENERALLY knowlegeable staff: "Hi, I need a backstrap channel plug for my Glock."
Clerk: "And what caliber would that be, sir?"
Me: "Er, it's a small frame model..."
Clerk: "Sir, the plugs are model and caliber specific. One comes with each gun, and I need the exact model in order to replace the factory part."
Me: "OKaaaaaaayyyyyy....(let's see where this goes) it's a G34."
Clerk: "And what caliber?"
Me: "It's a G - never mind. Nine by ninetee- never mind. 9mm parabellum."
Clerk: "Let me check." He leaves, comes back in a couple minutes with a more than slightly annoyed looking and more senior employee. "I can't seem to find any, but perhaps this person can help you," and goes off.
New Clerk: "So, what do you need?"
Me: "Pearce Plug for my G34."
He reaches under the counter, whips one out, and hands it to me, muttering, "Sorry about that...".

35 Rem
01-30-2024, 02:32 PM
I consider myself pretty darned knowledgeable about guns but I've never even heard of a Glock backstrap channel plug. I had to look it up. In cases like that it would be helpful describe the function of the part and what it does. I know Gunshop employees can be frustrating to deal with for both being uninformed or condescending, but nobody can know every little detail about niche items.

Kenstone
01-30-2024, 02:48 PM

Best place to store earplugs...
I keep new and used earplugs in the hand pull of the door armrest of my truck.
I can put them in while driving to the range and remove them/put them back while I'm driving home from the range.
jmo,

steve urquell
01-30-2024, 02:56 PM
I didn't know what that was either and I have 2 Glock clones and am on the Glock forum as well.

MT Gianni
01-30-2024, 03:03 PM

Tie your ear plugs inside an old sport sock and then wash and dry them.

15meter
01-30-2024, 04:55 PM
Tie your ear plugs inside an old sport sock and then wash and dry them.

It's easier to annoy the wife.

She would figure I'd either bought a new gun, iceboat, motorcycle or picked up a girl friend.

Don't need to raise suspicions until absolutely necessary......

oley55
01-30-2024, 08:11 PM
One day a couple years ago my son and I were driving past the 200 yard range and spotted a young man sighting in a flat top AR15 devoid of sights or optics. We were on our way out so I just stopped at the office and reported the miscreant to the staff.

I keep wondering if he got the idea of shooting a flat top without sights/optics after watching ole 'Dead Eye" Darrel Dixon on the Walking Dead nailing Walkers without optics. LOL In reality he probably just bought it and had no clue...

quack1
01-31-2024, 08:59 AM
Here are some examples of "fireformed" brass I came across from a lot of years of scrounging brass at the range.
https://i.imgur.com/Qv7dZoFl.jpg

waksupi
01-31-2024, 12:31 PM
One day a couple years ago my son and I were driving past the 200 yard range and spotted a young man sighting in a flat top AR15 devoid of sights or optics. We were on our way out so I just stopped at the office and reported the miscreant to the staff.

I keep wondering if he got the idea of shooting a flat top without sights/optics after watching ole 'Dead Eye" Darrel Dixon on the Walking Dead nailing Walkers without optics. LOL In reality he probably just bought it and had no clue...

Why would you report him for no sights? It would be unusual to not at least have a front sight. I can guarantee I could make a person feel darned uncomfortable at 200 yards, sights or not, and if I had a front sight the discomfort would grow exponentially.

26Charlie
01-31-2024, 02:27 PM
A number of people have no idea where the bullet can go. I had been shooting, then watch the only others, a couple, on the range. He had spotted an iron plate at the 100yard berm, which had been shot enough so it was cratered like the back side of the moon. He was about to instruct his wife to shoot his .45 ACP at it. From about 8 yards. I hustled down there and stopped them, explaining about bullets striking the edge of a crater and sling-shotting back at them, etc. It happened to me once on a 50 foot indoor range with .22 pistol ammo. That range then installed a curtain of horse stall rubber mats in front of the steel.

M-Tecs
01-31-2024, 02:39 PM
Why would you report him for no sights? It would be unusual to not at least have a front sight. I can guarantee I could make a person feel darned uncomfortable at 200 yards, sights or not, and if I had a front sight the discomfort would grow exponentially.

Occasionally I get asked to figure out/fix AR's that are not functioning properly. Sometimes they have sights on them and sometimes not.

firefly1957
01-31-2024, 03:59 PM
There was once a place on state land were people could shoot last I heard it was closed down I would stop by to pick up brass I never shot there the people were to dangerous ! One guy had a young woman shooting an AR at a cardboard box 15 feet out from firing line . She was all squatted and uncomfortable looking missing more then hitting . But what caught my eye was the tall hill 80 feet or more tall behind the targets over 100 yards away those bullets were hitting near and over the top of that hill after hitting the ground 30 feet or so out!

charlie b
01-31-2024, 06:00 PM
Until you watch a bunch of tracer bullets it is hard to comprehend how far a ricochet can go, even after hitting relatively soft surfaces. I can describe it but it just doesn't sink in until you watch it happen.

dondiego
01-31-2024, 07:44 PM
Until you watch a bunch of tracer bullets it is hard to comprehend how far a ricochet can go, even after hitting relatively soft surfaces. I can describe it but it just doesn't sink in until you watch it happen.

That is an absolute fact. I couldn't believe what I saw tracers do after hitting the berm and those were losing weight as they burnt. Bullets were flying in many directions.

TCLouis
01-31-2024, 11:02 PM

Working in Range Control I can only say +1 to that.

Being an officer at a nearby Private range I go to see MORE Unique things than I ever cared to.

charlie b
02-01-2024, 11:48 AM
And if you watch tank cannons at night..... :)

firefly1957
02-01-2024, 05:11 PM
Some years ago I bought a box of M-1 Carbine tracers at the 8 mile Armory gun show when I brought them up to the cabin my father was telling me how the new neighbors just come over complaining that my brother was shooting (safely and on our land). I took out the Mini 14 and shot a 30 round magazine fast as I could and hit the target . Then I shot a large rock at about a 45 degree angle to the sky with the tracers . Those things went nearly straight up wizzing and hissing putting on a good show. They all stayed on our property they put their place on the market by summers end . It was not just the shooting they had cut a trial through our land to drive ORV's (Three wheeled ones at that time) to state land and they where told they could not do that anymore .

steve urquell
02-01-2024, 08:17 PM

When you shoot with suppressors you can hear all the ricochets. Sounds like the old Western movies where every bullet went "whee-yawwww"

My MIL shot my 9mm with suppressor out on my rocky forested land and one ricocheted upward thru the trees. It was clipping limbs off followed by a bigger limb crashing. Sounded like 'chi, chi, chi, chi, chi, crash!"

almar
02-01-2024, 08:33 PM
I saw some pretty stupid things being done and being said but i also did some pretty stupid things myself mostly due to complacency. Glad to say i never did them twice though. Glad I'm still able to talk about them too although i rarely do. We have our first kid on the way due anytime now, he will hear about them just like my father told me about his.

Larry Gibson
02-01-2024, 08:48 PM
And if you watch tank cannons at night..... :)

Me, back in the mid '70s shooting main gun on my M60......

dtknowles
02-02-2024, 07:17 PM
I was scouting a new place to shoot and found this in a bag, in a Ruger Single Six box on the ground.

Tim

WestDivide
02-04-2024, 09:11 PM
OK, I'll chime in here....

My gun club opens to the public each fall for Sept and Oct. for hunter sight-in. As mentioned early in the thread, it's a good fund raiser. Members staff the big bore range as range officers. So, we have several RO's supervising shooters. There's a training class for members to be range officers so some consistency is achieved. In general, it's a positive endeavor as several of us enjoy helping shooters.

We instituted an ammo check at sign-in to prevent wrong ammo. We do catch several mismatches come through each year. People are pretty tolerant and see the issue, especially upon showing the pics of the Win 670 with the flowered barrel. I forget the ammunition involved. Several years ago, prior to the mandated ammo check, I did have one young man bring a brand-new rifle with no sights or scope. Upon querying, he 'just wanted to shoot it a couple times'. So, I watched him, and when the second case hit the floor, I thought it looked funny. 300 Win makes an interesting fireformed case in a 300 WHBY chamber. He was a little perturbed when I wouldn't let him shoot it anymore. He swore up and down the salesclerk had given him "300 Mag" ammo.

Probably the most noted occurrences are new scopes. I can safely say 90 % of scopes mounted (and "bore-sighted") by 'gun stores', big box or otherwise, will not be on an 18" target at 100 yds and often at 50 yds. Consequently, we've gotten pretty good at physically bore-sighting rifles, particularly bolt guns.

I've seen few 'know-it-alls', most people are pretty appreciative of help, and we don't intrude if they appear competent. We do see some mechanical and optic failures through the season. It's sad to see someone go home with a malfunctioning gun. We don't physically work on customer's guns but will provide tools and advice on a problem.

-West out

15meter
02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Probably the most noted occurrences are new scopes. I can safely say 90 % of scopes mounted (and "bore-sighted") by 'gun stores', big box or otherwise, will not be on an 18" target at 100 yds and often at 50 yds. Consequently, we've gotten pretty good at physically bore-sighting rifles, particularly bolt guns.

-West out

Several years ago at my club's public deer rifle site-in we had a dude show and start complaining that he had missed four deer in four seasons and was just fed up because he couldn't get his shotgun sited-in. No matter what he did using the scope adjustments, he couldn't get it to hit anywhere near where it was supposed to.

He pulled a scoped shotgun out of the case and set it on the bench. Before he was allowed to shoot his first round, his scope was loosened and rotated 90 degrees. Three shots later he was hitting bull's.

Amazing what having up/down and left/right positioned correctly will do for point of aim adjustments.

He literally started jumping up and down pumping his fists in the air shouting "I'm going to get a deer! I'm going to get a deer!"

It was spookily like Flounder in Animal House. He even looked like Flounder.

dondiego
02-21-2024, 08:04 PM
Hopefully you rotated it 180 degrees but I have served as a Range Officer at several of those Deer Season Sight In's and I have seen a lot of things myself. .270 ammo shot in 30-06 rifles and one guy who was hitting the ground 50 feet in front of the target and couldn't understand why his groups were so erratic. He wouldn't believe me when I told him he was hitting dirt first and his bullet was jumping up to the target. I was impressed at actually how well he was doing!

15meter
02-21-2024, 08:20 PM
Don, it was just loosen and rotate so the elevation and the windage turrets were in the right place.

He was adjusting exactly as the turrets said, problem was windage was now elevation and elevation moved windage.

He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

But he did give us a few laughs.

Back in the day we also had 303 British show up to be shot in a Savage 99 in 303 Savage and vice versa.

A number of scope eyes, even after repeated warnings to not creep up on the scope.

Had several first time shooters almost drop their rifles from the recoil because they had to have the biggest whomper-stomper caliber they could find. 300 Weatherby Mag for a Michigan white-tail kind of silliness.

steve urquell
02-21-2024, 08:26 PM
Don, it was just loosen and rotate so the elevation and the windage turrets were in the right place.

He was adjusting exactly as the turrets said, problem was windage was now elevation and elevation moved windage.

Back in the day we also had 303 British show up to be shot in a Savage 99 in 303 Savage and vice versa.

A number of scope eyes, even after repeated warnings to not creep up on the scope.

Had several first time shooters almost drop their rifles from the recoil because they had to have the biggest whomper-stomper caliber they could find. 300 Weatherby Mag for a Michigan white-tail kind of silliness.

I worked with a guy who's brother gave him a .300 Weatherby Mag. He missed several deer with it. One at point blank range. Got rid of it. Later he missed one at 7yds with his muzzleloader. I took it home to check it out and put 5 shots in 2" at 35 yards to the sights.

Some folks just don't need to be hunting.

15meter
02-21-2024, 08:34 PM
I worked with a guy who's brother gave him a .300 Weatherby Mag. He missed several deer with it. One at point blank range. Got rid of it. Later he missed one at 7yds with his muzzleloader. I took it home to check it out and put 5 shots in 2" at 35 yards to the sights.

Some folks just don't need to be hunting.

I suspect some of the clean misses are intentional, "if I miss, I don't have to gut it," then blame it on the gun.

Or they just shouldn't be allowed out without a keeper.

CastingFool
02-21-2024, 08:57 PM

I don't remember all the details, but I watched a video where a guy shot a handgun at a target on what looked like a solid wood backstop. The ball bounced off and struck the shooter on the forehead and knocked him out cold!

dondiego
02-21-2024, 09:45 PM

HA! I understand now. I thought that he had it on backwards which I have seen as well.

cpaspr
02-21-2024, 09:49 PM
Our range puts on a monthly outdoor bowling pin shoot from May to October. Pins are at 15 yards. We'll occasionally find ricocheted rounds back on the concrete firing line. I once picked up a bullet halfway back from the pins and recognized it as one of the bullets from my .380 that I had just fired. Light load of Bullseye behind a 90gr slug. It still had the lube in the lube groove, and appeared undeformed. On another occasion, one of our shooters was hit low in the leg by a .45 ACP SWC that bounced off a bowling pin at about a 45 degree angle. Didn't hurt him, but he definitely felt it when it hit the loose fabric of his jeans.

charlie b
02-21-2024, 10:35 PM
I had an inline muzzle loader that I rotated the scope. When in the correct position the windage knob was in the 'blast zone' of the percussion cap. Once rotated, no more issue. But, I did have to think twice before I made an adjustment. :) Took several deer and an elk with it.

Texas by God
02-22-2024, 11:51 AM
“I was Up Right before I was Left Down”
That’s how I remember how to adjust scopes that by necessity had to be mounted 90 degrees off….

elmacgyver0
02-22-2024, 12:01 PM
“I was Up Right before I was Left Down”
That’s how I remember how to adjust scopes that by necessity had to be mounted 90 degrees off….

That reminds me of the old resistor color code numonic.

pete501
02-22-2024, 12:44 PM
Years ago I was RO at a public range, while heading home, I notice a truck parked at a range that was closed and under construction. I stopped to let them know that the range was closed to shooting. Much to my surprise, there was a couple getting it on in the back of the truck. I was more embarrassed than they were.

waksupi
02-22-2024, 01:45 PM
Years ago I was RO at a public range, while heading home, I notice a truck parked at a range that was closed and under construction. I stopped to let them know that the range was closed to shooting. Much to my surprise, there was a couple getting it on in the back of the truck. I was more embarrassed than they were.

Some of the worst long term effects linger for years after a stray shot in that situation.

Rapier
02-23-2024, 09:41 AM
I was a range master and match director on a military base R&G Club's ranges for 45 years. No counting the dumb things I have seen from the young GIs. As my old First Sargent said on several occasions, "What can you expect, when you give an 18 year old a 1 million dollar tank to drive around?" If you have a teenage son, you get the picture.

Anyway, it was my habit to go by the sub shop, buy a sandwich and drink then drop by the Club's 300 meter rifle range, to eat my lunch in peace and quiet. One day, I was eating peacefully and heard a racket, got up and walked around, nothing. then heard it again, so walked out on the range and looked up, there was a beautiful big, 35 pound bobcat chasing a fox squirrel through the tree tops, near 300 feet above the ground. Way up in the virgin yellow pine canopy, above the covered firing line. Never knew a bobcat would chase squirrels through the tree tops, up into the small limbs. but there he was, it was quite a sight. Must have been a mighty hungry cat.

405grain
02-23-2024, 03:44 PM
Reading through these posts reminds me of the time I was shooting on the 50 yard range at a public range. I was sighting in some cast rifle loads, and the only other shooter on that range at the time was a younger guy about four spaces over. He had a scoped pump action 30-06 (I assume a Remington, but it was a couple of years ago so not sure). He was trying to sight in by blasting away and pumping the slide as quickly as he could. The "group" that he was shooting was a swath that was 6" high and a foot and a half long (all over a foot to the right of the bullseye). He had already gone through 5 boxes of Remington factory ammo, and was working his way through the 6th box. (In after thought, he most likely inherited the ammo too.) After a while he sat there with a bewildered look on his face, and when I looked over at him he signaled for me to come over and give him some help.

When I walked over to his bench he asked me how to "bend his scope mount". He related to me that he had inherited this rifle from his Grandfather, and he was planning on going on his first ever deer hunt next week, but no matter what he did he couldn't get the rifle sighted in. I told him that it usually only takes three or more rounds to get on target (and he'd already shot over 100), and that the first thing to do was take one aimed shot at the bullseye, then see how much adjustment was needed to move the point of impact over for the correction. The words hadn't left my mouth for a second before this guy quickly turned toward the target and discharged the rifle. He then turned and looked back at me as if to say "Ok, now what's next?" This instantly confirmed what I had already expected - this guy is a moron.

Thankfully I was still wearing a set of electronic earmuffs when he pulled this stunt. I took a long breath and resisted the urge to just walk away, because this guy was stupid, but not arrogant. His shot had landed somewhere in the "pattern" that he'd been spraying onto the target, but there's no telling where. Because this pattern was generally centered high and off to the right I suggested that he start by adjusting the windage on his scope to move the point of impact to the left. To my amazement the covers on his scope adjustment knobs were still on, and he began vigorously rotating both of the adjustment covers back and forth without actually accomplishing anything. Then, without hesitation, or even saying a word, he immediately took another shot. After the shot his head literally sprung around to look at me with the expression of "Ok, now what?" on his face. As calmly as I could I said "I think you need to take that to a gunsmith", and I went over, gathered my stuff, and went to the 100 yard range to finish my shooting, letting this guy have the 50 yard range to himself.

charlie b
02-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Sometimes, if you have the time and inclination, you can teach someone like that, but, not often. Have to sit down and go over the basics with them and it takes a while. I've had only two of those in many years on ranges. Many folks are just not patient enough to learn. They want to point and shoot like in the movies.