PDA

View Full Version : Refinished Uberti SAA grips

Wheelgun
11-01-2023, 06:28 PM
Just thought I壇 share what I did over the last weekend.

After reading some of the old posts here about refinishing Uberti grips, I decided to give it a try on my old 32wcf.

I知 fairly happy with the end result.
I sanded the old finish off, as I was wanting to take off some of the flare at the bottom. But next time I値l use stripper, and only file/sand the flare to narrow the grips.

I filed then sanded the flare/bell off the bottom, straightening and thinning them. Then went from file, 80, 120, 220, 330 then finished with 600grit. Then I gave it 2 coats of stain and then hand rubbed in 3 coats of Danish oil.

It turned out a little lighter than I hoped, but I might redo the stain later.

hporter
11-01-2023, 07:43 PM
Good job, I have been thinking of doing that to my Italian single actions. The reddish finish they come with is an abomination.

DougGuy
11-01-2023, 08:22 PM
I would suggest removing the finish you have on there now, and using Fiebing's leather dye. I used light brown and it worked out great on some oak, this is light brown, they have darker brown or you just rub on a 2nd coat, it will get as dark as the rag, which btw is darker in real life but the camera lightens it up. The more you rub on, the darker it will get.

45workhorse
11-01-2023, 11:08 PM
I like the COLOR of those grips!

billmc2
11-02-2023, 02:01 AM
Those look very nice. Good job. I like the gloss on those.

You can make your own Danish oil by thinning varnish. Apply it multiple times, in very thin coats and there is almost no sanding that needs to be done.

Wheelgun
11-05-2023, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the kind words. They were a lot more red in real than the first pics look.
I might try the leather dye and thinned varnish.

I was finally able to get out and shoot this thing yesterday. I ran box of 100gr “cowboy loads” through it and then about a box of stouter 120gr through it.
With the thinner/straighter grips it handles beautifully. It’s not like a 32/20 has much (or any) recoil anyway. These arnt quite as thin, or straight, as Competition grips or Gunfighter grips, but still feel great.
My hand is right where it needs to be as soon as I grip and draw the gun. No more readjusting and wiggling around to get a good grip.