PDA

View Full Version : My trip to the dark side is complete

Rockingkj
10-29-2023, 10:58 PM
Been dyed in wool traditional ML shooter for years, questioning the parentage of in-line shooters. Well the last State shoot I had found myself without any targets left to shoot the last day. Dawned on me that if I had one of those new fangled contraptions I could have been shooting. Planted the seed to find a in-line. This weekends gunshow provided the opportunity and excuse to buy another rifle. Here’s the result, a used CVA Optama .50 with 3x9 Cabelas scope.

T-Bird
10-30-2023, 08:32 AM
And with a plastic stock too! Wow, you went all the way!

Rockingkj
10-30-2023, 09:57 AM
Yeah a black plastic stock every Dem’s worst nightmare.

On another subject has anyone tried using a Lyman 450gr in one of these? Thinking 50-70 type load, just pushing the bullet from the muzzle like the old time target shooters. I think I see another rabbit hole forming.

pietro
10-30-2023, 10:54 AM

FWIW, I've long (50-odd years) been a traditional muzzleloader shooter/hunter - and once got the curiosity bug, regarding inlines. (bought/hunted a scoped T/C Omega)

After a season's use, I determined that they weren't for me - as I found them less easily handled than my sidelock rifles, and made taking game too easy for my tastes (it seemed to me that it took an unfair advantage on game - YMMV)

Sooo, I returned to traditional muzzleloaders, as they're more satisfying for me to use.

waksupi
10-30-2023, 11:08 AM
We'll probably hear you've taken up chicken stealing too!

Rockingkj
10-30-2023, 11:39 AM
We'll probably hear you've taken up chicken stealing too!

Well look out widows and orphans. Next thing taking ewe out on Saturday night.

Not a real defense but got it in a package deal with a Ruger Red Label 20ga I wanted. The guy was way too cheap on the Ruger. So the CVA is like a free gun.

45workhorse
10-30-2023, 02:00 PM
We joke about inlines at our club and call them "one of them fancy belt fed muzzle loader"!

Don't like them personally

But whatever gets you outdoors, beats watching the boob tube all day!

BLAHUT
10-30-2023, 04:33 PM
Been shooting 500+ gr pure lead bullet out of my 3 inline guns for a very long time; 1200 FPS with 41 grs of blackhorn 209, very accurate, if I do my part one ragged hole at 100 yds with 10 shots;

Rockingkj
10-30-2023, 04:53 PM
Been shooting 500+ gr pure lead bullet out of my 3 inline guns for a very long time; 1200 FPS with 41 grs of blackhorn 209, very accurate, if I do my part one ragged hole at 100 yds with 10 shots;

Good to hear that. 1st .50 mold I found in my stash is Lyman 515142. Ref to being 515gr. Going to keep looking, sold some .50s a while back. Seems every time I get rid of a mold in short order find I could use it.

Rockingkj
10-30-2023, 05:23 PM
Found another choice, RCBS 450gr flat nose. Now to get some warmer weather to cast some bullets. Below freezing in my unheated shop is not the formula to make good bullets.

Rockingkj
10-31-2023, 11:39 PM

What are you using for lube?

Rockingkj
11-05-2023, 08:06 PM
Got the one who cannot be named out shooting. A bit of an experiment. Cast some 450gr bullets, smeared the groves with bore butter and ran through a Lee .501 size die. Started at 60gr 2f real black power and worked up. Seems to find the sweet spot at 70gr. A good enough 5 shot group that I don’t think I could have any better with fancy store bought slugs. 100 yard group off bench.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-05-2023, 08:25 PM
Very nice! I picked up a scoped CVA after missing several deer because I couldn’t see the sights on my cap lock anymore. I’ve put a good bit of meat in the freezer with it. Well worth the investment.

hc18flyer
11-05-2023, 08:43 PM
Damn nice 100 yard target! It'll do the job on any whitetail hit in the 'boiler room'! I am looking forward to December too! hc18flyer

T-Bird
11-06-2023, 08:49 AM
If it was me, I would try sabots and a 44/45 cal boolet. They're lighter, don't kick as much, and is very effective on deer sized gam(and a lot of others too).I have had great accuracy when I tried them. I"m back to RB now.

Rockingkj
11-06-2023, 11:40 AM
If it was me, I would try sabots and a 44/45 cal boolet. They're lighter, don't kick as much, and is very effective on deer sized gam(and a lot of others too).I have had great accuracy when I tried them. I"m back to RB now.

The recoil was probably less than 20ga shotgun so not an issue for me. I like being able to make an accurate round and not have to depend on buying factory bullets. Performance on game is not an issue for me have become more of a target shooter than hunter. However this 450gr would be up to the task on deer

T-Bird
11-08-2023, 10:15 PM
I was talking about home cast 44, 45 BOOLETS! If you got a plastic stock.... you might as well go all the way and use plastic sabots, but you could cast your own boolits. They are excellent on targets and saves the planet by using less lead!:grin:

Adam Helmer
11-11-2023, 12:12 PM
My wife gave me the same .50 CVA with 3-9X scope for Christmas 4 years ago. I am traditional, being a reenactor in the Bucktails (42nd Regiment, Civil War volunteers). I have 9 other ML arms, both flint and caplock, and there was much "nashing of teeth, when I parked the CVA in the gunroom rack!

Be well.

Adam

Rockingkj
11-11-2023, 06:18 PM
My wife gave me the same .50 CVA with 3-9X scope for Christmas 4 years ago. I am traditional, being a reenactor in the Bucktails (42nd Regiment, Civil War volunteers). I have 9 other ML arms, both flint and caplock, and there was much "nashing of teeth, when I parked the CVA in the gunroom rack!

Be well.

Adam

I know, if it were not for the fact I wanted additional classes to shoot at our state shoot would never have contaminated the herd with a in-line and a plastic stock to boot. Not a ML hunter and if I was, one of my traditional rifles would be the choice. Addicted to the smell of blackpowder so any excuse to ignite some is ok.

Adam Helmer
11-12-2023, 03:19 PM
Rocky,

I hear you. I love flintlocks and with an MA degree in History, I am a French & Indian War person. My farm has a verified Senaca religious site on my upper field. Once a Senaca tribal person came to the site and did his thing. I freely offered access because it was right. A professor from the nearby university and her crew spent 2 weeks studying the site and she offered a report, but she died before she did so.

Be well.

Adam

Rockingkj
11-12-2023, 03:46 PM
Rocky,

I hear you. I love flintlocks and with an MA degree in History, I am a French & Indian War person. My farm has a verified Senaca religious site on my upper field. Once a Senaca tribal person came to the site and did his thing. I freely offered access because it was right. A professor from the nearby university and her crew spent 2 weeks studying the site and she offered a report, but she died before she did so.

Be well.

Adam

Very cool. Here in Nebraska our rendezvous is geared to fur trade era. One group being very strict on period correct and the State ML Assn on other clubs being a bit less concerned. As long as we can get together with what has now become now lifelong friends and enjoy friendly competition and fellowship it does not get any better.

Any excuse to burn blackbowder. It takes a lot of balls to shoot like I do. Lol.