PDA

View Full Version : flintlock target load

ddeaton
02-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Whats a good 45 flintlock target load?

northmn
02-14-2009, 03:59 PM
One that hits where you point it. Sorry, but it depends on a lot of variables. When I used to shoot competition I generally likes about 40-45 grains for 25 yard and 50 yard target stuff. Barrels varied accordingly. Douglas barrels liked a little larger ball, the Numrich a little smaller. I generally found the best all around ball size was a .445. Patch thickness could really vary, start with 015. One might find that the most accurate would possibly be about 60 grains. I liked 3f in a 45, some claim 2f gives a little less shot to shot variance. A TC might like something more in the range of 50 grains 3f. Some use real light loads for plinking and have gone as low as 25 grains of 3f. I generally found at closer range that the 45 grain load would keep me in the competition. I shot a few squirrels with that load (needed head shots or they would kind of blow) I cannot give you a "best" load as all gun barrels are a rule on to themselves.

Northmn

mooman76
02-14-2009, 04:38 PM
That's the great thing about MLs. Field testing. You don't have to load in advance and go out and try later. Start at about 40 or 45g loads and move up in 5g incriments until you find the best load. My guess is it will shoot plenty good at 45g but it depends on what you are looking for.

ddeaton
02-14-2009, 04:43 PM
sounds good, I just need a little nudge. I have had flintlocks and reenacting for years, not shot much because of time. I am making time now. I have a new Getz barrel, coned real nice for loading and I just cast up a bunch of .440s. I might pick up a .445 mold but will start with what I got. 3f for load and prime, right?

fishhawk
02-14-2009, 04:47 PM
FFFFg would work a lot better for prime than the FFFg also when primeing don't "fuse" the powder to the touch hole it will fire faster if not "fused" steve k

northmn
02-14-2009, 06:10 PM
I shoot mostly swaged ball out of my ML's, mainly because I do not have a source of pure lead at this time. Try buying the 445's before you buy the mold. The coned Getz barrel is great and designed to be used wihtout a short starter. After playing with a 32, a 40, 50, 54 and 58 as well as 45's I feel the 45 is about the best balanced target rifle. Its cheaper to shoot than the bigger ones and holds up better in the wind and at longer range, as in 100 yards than the 40's or smaller. While I admit prejudice for the big bores for hunting, the 45 makes a passable deer gun at close range. The small bores seem to need to be loaded fairly hot for accuracy. I really did not see much difference in meat destruction between light loaded 45's and the 32 on small game.

Northmn

Gerry N.
02-15-2009, 04:53 AM
My .50 T-C Hawken flinter works well using 3F for both the charge and the prime.

When I started out, I only had 3F so that's what I used. I get, for all practical purposes, instantaneous ignition. I see no need to improve on perfection so I've just stayed with it these forty years.

For target and plinking, I use a charge of 30 grains, for hunting, I double that. I carry only a 30 grain measure. I have tried 90 grains a few times, but the only difference I see is I burn up a lot more powder for no good reason. A dead deer is just as dead whether the ball was powered by 60 or 90 grains of powder.

Initially, I tried all the shiny, cool looking projectiles on the shelf, but after I saw that my rifle just splattered 'em randomly in a more or less forward direction, I went solely to cast roundballs because my rifle directs them all to the same place.

A bit of advice. If you're going to shoot a flintlock, keep your beard neatly trimmed. Trust me.

That said, each rifle seems to be a law unto itself. You're just gonna have to find out for yourself.

Gerry N.