PDA

View Full Version : Wax paper patching?

Crustyshooter
10-29-2023, 01:20 AM
Has anyone tried paper patching using wax paper? I have had great success with my 3-45/70's and a Lee cast mini bullet! The bullet is identical to a Lyman mold, with a hollow base, a cast weight of 282 grains (+-) and mics out to .446"! The only difference is the Lyman mold is steel, which I prefer and the meplat on the Lyman bullet is noticeably wider! Both have lube groves but I do not use them! The wax paper mics out at .001" so a 1" wide patch cut to give it 4 wraps around the bullet brings the dia up to .458! I might be cutting the patches a bit longer for 5 wraps as I am at work (night shift) so my memory is a bit cloudy! The hollow base of both molds allows you to twist the tails and press them into the base, leaving an almost flush base! After patching, I like to use a heat gun or set the bullets on the wood stove on a tray to heat them, causing the waxpaper to bond together. I only use smokeless powders and load them up to about 1600 fps (sorry! Have not had time to crono!) but accuracy is about 1 1/2" at 100yds with light recoil! Bystanders are impressed with the cloud of wax paper at each shot! No leading at all in any of my babies! I am rural with no long range matches in my area so I load for hunting and plinking and these loads take me back about 150 years to simpler times! I will be trying these out on the local whitetails in about a week!
Sorry! Did not see the Smokeless paper patching thread! If a moderator could move my post the the proper thread, that would be fine by me!

firefly1957
11-01-2023, 07:01 AM
I have tried wax paper in smokeless loads I did not stick with it I forget the reason why . I do remember why I gave up on Teflon tape it allowed terrible leading of my bore .

MUSTANG
11-01-2023, 08:54 PM
Have not used Wax Paper; but have used Parchment Paper from Costco with some success.

bimus
11-01-2023, 11:31 PM
I have used what was called press and seal it was like plastic wrap I would lube the bullet 58 cal and set it on a piece of this press and seal twist the top so the bottom and sides were smooth I don't remember having any problems with it and I liked wow there was no lube mess.

GregLaROCHE
11-03-2023, 03:56 AM
As long as you don’t have any problems with the paper unwinding before you load them and you are getting good results, why not? I found that when the moist paper drys, it shrinks, keeping the wraps together.