PDA

View Full Version : Moly coat paper patch?

jarhead jim
10-28-2023, 04:39 PM
Just wondering if any of y'all have ever tried rubbing some powdered moly on your paper patch after it was dried and ready to load. In theory I would think it might help going down the barrel. Talking on like a 500 grain Sharps bullet. I use it on my 190 grain Sierramatchking bullets for the .300 Win Mag. Just a thought

Jim

Kenny Wasserburger
10-28-2023, 04:54 PM
Yes I sure have, was from an old article Frank Mayer wrote for the NRA rag in the 1930s. He mentioned graphite as to help waterproof the patch. In his hunting loads.

I saw absolutely no gains in accuracy, a slight loss of MV though on the chronograph. I also tried something even slicker than graphite, moly, then something else. Tungsten Disulfide Sulfide WS2 powder it is considered a friction reducing agent in the aerospace and aircraft industries.

My tests yielded no improvement in accuracy.

It did show 1 very important thing, it took a lot of effort to remove from the barrel after a session. My chief concern was it covering both fouling that could damage the barrel. Moly and graphite the same, as they look just like carbon fouling on the patch.

I soon abandoned the tests, I spent more time shooting Paper Patch and working on sight picture and follow through, and found benefits there.

Kenny Wasserburger

jarhead jim
10-28-2023, 05:21 PM
Yes I sure have, was from an old article Frank Mayer wrote for the NRA rag in the 1930s. He mentioned graphite as to help waterproof the patch. In his hunting loads.

I saw absolutely no gains in accuracy, a slight loss of MV though on the chronograph. I also tried something even slicker than graphite, moly, then something else. Tungsten Disulfide Sulfide WS2 powder it is considered a friction reducing agent in the aerospace and aircraft industries.

My tests yielded no improvement in accuracy.

It did show 1 very important thing, it took a lot of effort to remove from the barrel after a session. My chief concern was it covering both fouling that could damage the barrel. Moly and graphite the same, as they look just like carbon fouling on the patch.

I soon abandoned the tests, I spent more time shooting Paper Patch and working on sight picture and follow through, and found benefits there.

Kenny Wasserburger

Spoken by THE pro himself! That's all I needed to hear. Thank you sir.

Jim

Randy Bohannon
10-28-2023, 07:21 PM
Kenny is spot on as usual, played with it on smokeless bullets and found it difficult to remove the fouling in the barrel. It never improved accuracy on any thing I tried just more work to get the stuff out of the barrel.