View Full Version : Black Pepper!!!

WILCO
10-28-2023, 12:35 PM
Can't live without it.

Seems best when coming from a pepper grinder.:-P

Winger Ed.
10-28-2023, 12:57 PM
Oh yeah.
Having a black pepper grinder on the dining room table is what separates us from the heathens and savages.

Not being able to put extra pepper on a chicken fried steak & cream gravy is barbaric,
and constitutes a survival situation.

MaryB
10-28-2023, 01:48 PM
Always grind my own! I buy 2 pounds of peppercorns a year! And I am cooking for one most of the time LOL I fry an egg it is black on top!

MUSTANG
10-28-2023, 01:52 PM
I am addicted to it as most things get a pepper grinder application.

When the great collapse comes - what am I going to do for pepper? The India/China/Arabic trade routes supplied the East/Mid East/Europe with pepper. Those routes don't come here. What am I going to do when my stash runs out after the great collapse?

Winger Ed.
10-28-2023, 02:49 PM
Running out of pepper will be evidence the great reset has happened,
and will usher in the end of Western civilization.

MUSTANG
10-28-2023, 05:02 PM
How many put Ground Black Pepper on their salads?

The waitress comes by when we eat out and asks "Pepper anyone?. The wife says yes, and gets a couple of turns. I say yes and they crank and crank and crank, the waitress looks at me with the "You have to be kidding" look, and I eventually say - that's fine thank you.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-28-2023, 05:29 PM
then the question is...
which pepper mill ?

brokeasajoke
10-28-2023, 09:14 PM
Good stuff. Mashed taters, butter, and black pepper.

15meter
10-28-2023, 09:21 PM
About 20 years ago Dorito's had a Black Pepper version out for a short time. Couldn't get enough of them. Then they were gone. Bummer.

jim 44-40
10-28-2023, 09:31 PM
My Grandfather put so much black pepper on his eggs it was hard to see the yolks.
I love it also on sweet peas in a can and drink the liquid at the end.

DDriller
10-28-2023, 10:08 PM
A little white pepper is good also. We use a mix of black, green, and white pepper we buy at Sam's in a bottle that has a grinder. Always wanted an electric grinder but am too tight to buy a good one.

Gtrubicon
10-28-2023, 10:27 PM
Pepper on salads is a must! Pizza also. Won’t eat either without it. Pepper is one of the many things we stack deep in our home.

45workhorse
10-29-2023, 12:38 AM
A little white pepper is good also. We use a mix of black, green, and white pepper we buy at Sam's in a bottle that has a grinder. Always wanted an electric grinder but am too tight to buy a good one.

Look for them at yard sales!

Not everyone has our addiction!

I like a little sausage gravy and biscuits, with my pepper!

I get strange looks when I unscrew the lid on the pepper shaker at local restaurants.

WILCO
10-29-2023, 01:48 AM
I like a little sausage gravy and biscuits, with my pepper!

Same here!!!

Wag
10-29-2023, 08:52 AM
Pepper grinders are mandatory equipment in any kitchen or restaurant. Salt grinder, too.

We were at a steak house recently and the waitress came around with a pepper grinder that was at least three feet long. You could use that as an essential weapon if you had to!

--Wag--

MrWolf
10-29-2023, 11:07 AM
Found out a long time ago when my Mom had high blood pressure issues and no more cooking with salt, that a little spice is much better than a lot. For whatever reason, I taste spices and such much more intensely than I used to. I use zero salt in cooking and do like ground pepper but only a few twists. Even got my gf reducing the amounts she uses. Can always add more but very hard to subtract after the fact.

Randy Bohannon
10-29-2023, 11:20 AM
Tellicherry fresh ground pepper is the best.

WILCO
10-29-2023, 11:24 AM
Tellicherry fresh ground pepper is the best.

I'll look for it!!!!!

MaryB
10-29-2023, 11:35 AM
My go to source for tellicherry peppercorns https://www.thespicehouse.com/products/tellicherry-peppercorns

WILCO
10-29-2023, 12:03 PM
Thanks MaryB!

MT Gianni
10-29-2023, 05:57 PM
My now wife thought I was putting pepper on fries to prevent her from eating them. I told her I could not imagine eating them without pepper.

I was at a Thai restaurant and was served something I didn't recognize. I ate it whole and got a crazy burn. It turned out to be a pepper stalk with a dozen immature corns added for flavor. It was the only one in a pot meant for 40 people and I have never seen another one.

Winger Ed.
10-29-2023, 06:39 PM
There are some peppers from Asia that make jalapenos taste like sugar candy by comparison.

45workhorse
10-29-2023, 10:24 PM
There are some peppers from Asia that make jalapenos taste like sugar candy by comparison.

Winger Ed
Don't have to go to Aisa, just buy some Carolina reapers!!!
I tried every pepper I could in my travels on the gray taxis.

Joe K
10-29-2023, 11:12 PM
Mt Gianni,

I am laughing in tears over the pepper stalk story. Thank you.

Wayne Smith
10-30-2023, 08:32 AM
I have a black pepper grinder, a white pepper grinder, and a smoked salt grinder in the kitchen. Got the grinder bodies from pennstateind.com and turned the wooden bodies. They are well used.

Rapier
10-30-2023, 09:13 AM
Well, I must be a pepper person then, have five grinders, crank, twist and electric battery operated plus a coffee grinder I use for dried Thai Bird Pepers, see, I am good and did not use the real Thai term. I do grow rat ship peppers and dry them in the sun, grind them in the coffee grinder, makes interesting cup of coffee....even ground they will liven up a dish. I carry a pill bottle of them ground, in my pocket. No such thing as too much pepper.
I do oil and vinegar on a salad with ground sea salt and ground pepper.

Grew up in the Everglades, big pepper plants everywhere, acetic soil, so not very many folks that were raised there do not eat peppers in some fashion three meals a day. Peppers are a staple in areas with a hot climate.

Almost forgot, Lintel and Italian sausage stew. I use hot Italian sausage and add ground Thai pepper to it for me, rest of the folks get just stew. Fresh Italian bread. Anything with gravy or grits, gets a good dose.

Electrod47
10-30-2023, 10:19 AM
My go to source for tellicherry peppercorns https://www.thespicehouse.com/products/tellicherry-peppercorns

Just bought some, Thanks!!.....PS I use a coffee grinder just like my mother since the 50's319443

Randy Bohannon
10-30-2023, 11:18 AM
Amen on using a coffee grinder for pepper corns, when I need more than just a few twists from a pepper mill.

Bmi48219
10-30-2023, 11:31 AM
Black, white and green peppercorns all come from the same plant. The color results from the stage of ripeness and curing process. Like garlic, most peppercorn sold in the USA is imported from China.
I draw the line at Chinese garlic. The attached link explains why.

https://www.agentnateur.com/blogs/agent-tips/why-chinese-garlic-is-bad

45workhorse
10-30-2023, 02:12 PM
Black, white and green peppercorns all come from the same plant. The color results from the stage of ripeness and curing process. Like garlic, most peppercorn sold in the USA is imported from China.

Good information, thanks!

Electrod47
10-30-2023, 02:22 PM

Holy Cow!!!

Randy Bohannon
10-30-2023, 05:47 PM
Tellicherry Pepper corns are from the Malabar Coast of India not Chinese. https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/products/black-tellicherry-peppercorn

Minerat
10-30-2023, 10:29 PM
Pepper on watermelon and cantaloupe with the salt the more the better.

firefly1957
10-31-2023, 06:53 AM
I have long had pepper corn grinders in the house one often has black pepper and the other the multi colors of pepper . Just recently a over stock store had decent looking grinders with a mix of pepper flakes (not to be confused with pepper corns) and Sea Salt I bought three . When the salt was used up in one I put in pepper corns and it does a good job making a course grind of them for great flavor.

Hint sometimes I put that coarse salt and pepper on Bacon before I fry it up it adds a lot of flavor .

Winger Ed.
10-31-2023, 02:10 PM
Our local grocery store sells 'peppered bacon'.
The pork belly is rolled/coated in a thick layer of coarse ground black pepper as part of the cure and before its sliced.
If they ever run out--- it could cause a riot.

Charlie Horse
10-31-2023, 02:28 PM
Alton Brown's Pepper Drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqadY4DUZVQ

rockrat
11-01-2023, 02:25 PM
Never hardly used black pepper for decades. Till my kid tried her hand at cooking and brought something for me to try that had a bunch of pepper on it. I cringed at the pepper, but to not hurt her feelings, I took a bite. Thought , not bad. Now, I use black pepper for a bunch of stuff.

36g
11-01-2023, 02:38 PM
I worked in the spice industry for over 26 years and tested tons of black, red and green peppercorns. We would get the peppercorns in 200 lb. burlap bags (later woven polyester), fumigate (used methyl bromide at the time), pull samples and test, then grind, sift and package.

Until ethylene oxide and irradiation were widely available the plate counts on black pepper were allowed at somewhere around 1 million SPC (Standard Plate Count). There was an allowance for rodent droppings as well as dead insects and insect parts. Black pepper was one of the filthiest spices around. I still use it though...

Winger Ed.
11-01-2023, 04:47 PM
That reminds me:

Years ago, there was a one page cartoon of a chef and executive way up on top of this big giant vat.
You had to climb what looked like 100 stairs to get to the top. It must have held about 20,000 gallons.
It had a sign on it that read 'Such & such Soup company'.
The executive is tasting a spoon full from the vat.
He is looking at the chef and say, "Not bad. But I think it needs a little more rodent feces".

DougGuy
11-05-2023, 01:22 AM
I used a few different grinders, maybe a dozen or so over many years but what i have now is an Alessi Black Peppercorn grinder you get in the spice aisle at the store, one on the table, and another one on the food prep shelf. I have a different ceramic burr grinder that has the pink Chinese corns but I just don't stray too far from the Alessi grinders. It's pretty much an every meal thing here too.

Outpost75
11-05-2023, 04:17 PM
I worked in the spice industry for over 26 years and tested tons of black, red and green peppercorns. We would get the peppercorns in 200 lb. burlap bags (later woven polyester), fumigate (used methyl bromide at the time), pull samples and test, then grind, sift and package.

Until ethylene oxide and irradiation were widely available the plate counts on black pepper were allowed at somewhere around 1 million SPC (Standard Plate Count). There was an allowance for rodent droppings as well as dead insects and insect parts. Black pepper was one of the filthiest spices around. I still use it though...

That is where the phrase for busywork "sorting fly (turds) out of pepper" came from...

gwpercle
11-16-2023, 10:51 AM
Inspect carefully each pepper corn before dropping it into your pepper-mill ...
this cuts down on the amount of rodent droppings , dead insects and other trash that end up in your black pepper .
If the black pepper-corn has eyes ... trash it ... it ain't pepper .
Gary

1Papalote
11-16-2023, 11:45 AM
My grinders are from the family of years ago . I grind several pounds each year, coarse, of course. There's only one item in the kitchen that trumps black pepper,.............BUTTER!!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-16-2023, 12:13 PM
Inspect carefully each pepper corn before dropping it into your pepper-mill ...
this cuts down on the amount of rodent droppings , dead insects and other trash that end up in your black pepper .
If the black pepper-corn has eyes ... trash it ... it ain't pepper .
Gary

Huh? I've only found pepper-corns with one eye
[smilie=1:

gwpercle
11-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Huh? I've only found pepper-corns with one eye
[smilie=1:

Two eyes ... it might be a dead Bug ...
One eye ... that's OK ! :drinks:
Gary