PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Decap pin

nueces5
10-26-2023, 10:54 PM

Good night
I broke my last two Dillon decap pins yesterday, unfortunately I can't find any more here in Argentina at a more or less affordable price.
So I plan to start a pilgrimage, to see if I can find a lathe operator who has 5 minutes to make me some.
Does anyone know what steel I should use? 4041 or 1045 comes to mind, the 1045 surely need to be annealed.
I listen (read) opinions.

fc60
10-27-2023, 07:02 PM
Greetings,

I do not know the Dillon tools.

I have a Star and for pins I use Music Wire. 0.063" is a common size.

Alternately, consider dowel pins made of Stainless or Full Hardened steel.

Cheers,

Dave

j4570
10-27-2023, 09:32 PM
Dillon decap pins are either headed for pistol or this for rifle:

https://www.titanreloading.com/product/dillon-universal-decapping-die-pin-only/

It’s the one thing Dillon I really didn’t like. Bent Several on military 223 brass. After that I got a RCBS universal decapper that took straight pins. Pack of 50 dirt cheap. If course didn’t break those.

j4570
10-27-2023, 09:33 PM
Meant to say you may want to modify the decapper to take straight pins or music wire like suggested. Particularly due to where you are.

Jason

Baltimoreed
10-28-2023, 09:25 PM
Not the fastest thing but you could simply grind down a small diameter punch and deprime by hand until you can order some from Dillon. Just need to build a block with holes to hold the case to punch the primers into.

nueces5
10-29-2023, 10:14 PM
A good friend of this forum is going to do me the favor of sending me some
I wouldn't want to do the extraction of the primer separately, although some friends do it and recommend it, I don't want to add another job
A friend does sizing on a single station press and says that everything that follows is much easier

Green Frog
10-31-2023, 10:24 AM
A good friend of this forum is going to do me the favor of sending me some
I wouldn't want to do the extraction of the primer separately, although some friends do it and recommend it, I don't want to add another job
A friend does sizing on a single station press and says that everything that follows is much easier

Some folks do a sort of pre-load process including decapping and cleaning in some manner. This is a sound practice as it gives a last chance to sort out odd or damaged cases. It does add the necessity to visually inspect the inside of cases to insure no cleaning media remains, but that’s a good idea anyway!
With advancing age and declining health, my reloading of all sorts has markedly decreased, but when I do get the urge, I hate to be disrupted by cases that are blocked, incorrect, or otherwise unusable in the sequence. My Dillon 550A is set up for 32 H&R now but is getting more and more dusty as I type this! [smilie=f:
Froggie