PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic Shot in the dark

schutzen-jager
10-26-2023, 03:40 PM
have been sorting thru over 6 decades of household accumulations - found a sears roebucks model R5 led watch that my wife gave me as a present for our 10th anniversary back in 1975 - just for laughs i replaced the batteries + it started working ! - played with it for 30 minutes was able to set the time + verify it was keeping accurate time -
just spent 3 hours online trying to find directions to set month + date to no avail - did learn that it was produced by Pulsar for sears in 1975 - any help or advice would be appreciated - + no i will not chastise wife for saving watch + not box + instructions - any advice appreciated -

metricmonkeywrench
10-26-2023, 03:53 PM
Take out the battery after making note of the startup date and time then put the battery in for that date and time until the next leap year. Used the same process to fix my VCR clock:kidding:

Seriously I have the same kind of thing with cheap Timex. Just kept playing with the button combinations til I tripped into the right one. One of my side buttons was stuck and I had to pull the assembly out of the case and do it manually.

Wish I had the answer. Good luck!

schutzen-jager
10-26-2023, 05:43 PM
thanks but removing batteries does not do it - all that comes up is time - day comes up when i press button on lower left + i can change it, but can not get month to appear - thanks again -

elmacgyver0
10-26-2023, 05:47 PM
You mean you didn't keep the instructions?

DCB
10-26-2023, 06:09 PM
are any of these your watch?
If one is similar check the instructions, may give you a hint
https://www.manualslib.com/brand/pulsar/watch.html

Winger Ed.
10-26-2023, 08:04 PM
You mean you didn't keep the instructions?

You seem to have forgotten the first rule of Man Law.

Man Law, rule #1:
'Throw away the instructions, and disconnect or otherwise bypass all safety devices and features'.

contender1
10-26-2023, 09:14 PM
I have zero knowledge about that particular watch.
However,, many watches,, you pull the stem all the way out to set the time. THEN,, you push the stem back in 1/2 of the way, and it'll stop, and that allows the changing of the date. Many diver's watches do this,, and I thought; "Maybe that watch is the same way."

schutzen-jager
10-27-2023, 07:54 AM
thanks, but i spent hours trying to find them on line to no avail -

schutzen-jager
10-27-2023, 07:55 AM
You seem to have forgotten the first rule of Man Law.

Man Law, rule #1:
'Throw away the instructions, and disconnect or otherwise bypass all safety devices and features'.

senior moment - i thought that that was fule # 12 =

schutzen-jager
10-27-2023, 07:56 AM
I have zero knowledge about that particular watch.
However,, many watches,, you pull the stem all the way out to set the time. THEN,, you push the stem back in 1/2 of the way, and it'll stop, and that allows the changing of the date. Many diver's watches do this,, and I thought; "Maybe that watch is the same way."

thanks but no stem - just push buttons -

schutzen-jager
10-27-2023, 08:03 AM
sorry about picture quality - this is the one

pete501
10-27-2023, 11:00 AM
Try push and hold one of the buttons and wait to see if date flashes. If holding one button down makes it flash, then the other button could advance the date value.

schutzen-jager
10-27-2023, 11:08 AM
thanks - but no go - tried holding one at a time, both at once, + depressing them + + pushing in on the recessed button also -

MaryB
10-27-2023, 12:30 PM
Okay recessed button is your settings, hold it in until what you want flashes... +- buttons changes values, possible long hold on + changes to the next item

schutzen-jager
10-27-2023, 02:06 PM
Okay recessed button is your settings, hold it in until what you want flashes... +- buttons changes values, possible long hold on + changes to the next item

thanks, but that only allows me to change the hour no matter how long i hold it in - after 2 days i'm ready to give up -

MaryB
10-27-2023, 10:25 PM
thanks, but that only allows me to change the hour no matter how long i hold it in - after 2 days i'm ready to give up -

Once into change a push on it should jump to the next item... hours to minutes to year to month to day... it should rotate the selection...

Does it make hours blink when you hold it?

firefly1957
10-31-2023, 08:42 AM
I had one like it back then I seem to remember it was $39.95 from the back of a guns and ammo or other magazine . I forget how it set but remember one issue with it was if I worked under the hood of my 1978 Ramcharger with engine running it would gain months of time in a few minutes . I think it also used two batteries one for clock the other for display . I do not remember what happened to it I know I saved it but can not find it in my "JUNK" .
When I was young and a security guard at a office and the digital watches came to use twice a year I was popular knowing how to change the time on watches. I think it was Timex that had a button that turned to adjust time the others was a push and hold or a combination of buttons to change time . I am pretty sure you need a small point to push a non exposed to get the time changed , Here is a video of a watch like yours but it is broken https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6wc88COqVI . I also remembered my batteries needed replacing each month listening to him!

I found this it may help link follows :
An Original Gents 1976 Sears Roebuck And Co Digital LED Watch. The watch is in good overall condition, it has one scratch and chip in the middle top of the crystal, the rest of the case looks good. It is in need of repair, it does light up but has segments missing; it is sold 'as is' for spares or repairs only. Operations: P ress the command button at the 2 o'clock position to show the time in hours and minutes, press the command button at the 7 o'clock position to shows the date, hold both buttons in to show the continuous seconds, the set button is located at the 3 o'clock position. The rear case back is stamped 'Sears Roebuck And Co, Water Resistant, Shock Resistant, E6, Stainless Steel Case'. It has two battery hatches for easy battery changes and the watch uses two easily found 357 sized batteries. The band is not original to the watch and is stamped President on the clasp. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have, I will do my best to answer as quickly as possible. The watch will be carefully packaged and posted at the earliest opportunity following payment via first class recorded. Thank you for viewing please feel free to view my other items. and
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-sears-roebuck-co-original-70s-275224940

It is possible the watch is just broken good luck in your quest!

schutzen-jager
10-31-2023, 09:10 AM
Once into change a push on it should jump to the next item... hours to minutes to year to month to day... it should rotate the selection...

Does it make hours blink when you hold it?

thanks for reply - it does not jump when pushed again - hours do not blink -

schutzen-jager
10-31-2023, 09:19 AM
I had one like it back then I seem to remember it was $39.95 from the back of a guns and ammo or other magazine . I forget how it set but remember one issue with it was if I worked under the hood of my 1978 Ramcharger with engine running it would gain months of time in a few minutes . I think it also used two batteries one for clock the other for display . I do not remember what happened to it I know I saved it but can not find it in my "JUNK" .
When I was young and a security guard at a office and the digital watches came to use twice a year I was popular knowing how to change the time on watches. I think it was Timex that had a button that turned to adjust time the others was a push and hold or a combination of buttons to change time . I am pretty sure you need a small point to push a non exposed to get the time changed , Here is a video of a watch like yours but it is broken https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6wc88COqVI . I also remembered my batteries needed replacing each month listening to him!

I found this it may help link follows :
An Original Gents 1976 Sears Roebuck And Co Digital LED Watch. The watch is in good overall condition, it has one scratch and chip in the middle top of the crystal, the rest of the case looks good. It is in need of repair, it does light up but has segments missing; it is sold 'as is' for spares or repairs only. Operations: P ress the command button at the 2 o'clock position to show the time in hours and minutes, press the command button at the 7 o'clock position to shows the date, hold both buttons in to show the continuous seconds, the set button is located at the 3 o'clock position. The rear case back is stamped 'Sears Roebuck And Co, Water Resistant, Shock Resistant, E6, Stainless Steel Case'. It has two battery hatches for easy battery changes and the watch uses two easily found 357 sized batteries. The band is not original to the watch and is stamped President on the clasp. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have, I will do my best to answer as quickly as possible. The watch will be carefully packaged and posted at the earliest opportunity following payment via first class recorded. Thank you for viewing please feel free to view my other items. and
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-sears-roebuck-co-original-70s-275224940

It is possible the watch is just broken good luck in your quest!

thanks for taking time to reply - it does have two batteries - the link states that it only shows date, which i have been able to set - in error i thought that it would also show month - after almost 50 years it is still keeping accurate time after i replaced the batteries - thanks again -

firefly1957
11-01-2023, 06:33 AM
schutzen-jager Your welcome .

schutzen-jager
11-01-2023, 06:48 AM
this forum never ceases to amaze me with the vast amount of knowledge on all subjects + the helpfulness of the participants - again thanks to all -