PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help on 20 gauge Model 11 Remington concerning the stock

Hays47
10-23-2023, 07:20 PM
This shotgun has a lot of sentimental value to me. It was the very first gun I bought for myself. For the grand sum of 60.00. This was more than 50 years ago. Since this was the only shotgun I had for years. I became quite deadly with it. Even today it acts like an extension of myself.

Anyway I had the misfortune of having the stock break. Try to get info on the web proves to be worthless. I want to know if a 12 gauge stock would fit this 20 gauge. Basically the stock is held on with a screw in the tang. Plus a tight fit going on. 12 gauge stocks are easy to find and reasonably priced. Not so the 20 gauge stocks.

Anyone on here had the same problem ?

HWooldridge
10-23-2023, 07:43 PM
I have one of each - a 20 ga and a 12 ga Mod 11. I made some basic measurements with a soft tape and the only difference I can see is the 20 is very slightly narrower than the 12, but the basic metal fit appears to be the same. Stocks weren’t necessarily made on the exact same machines over the years, so there’s no guarantee some inletting and hand fitting won’t be necessary, but I expect a 12 stock will work on a 20.

Hays47
10-26-2023, 09:30 AM
Thanks it appears my line of thinking was at least in the realm of possibility. Will get a 12 gauge stock and hope for the best.

Polymath
10-26-2023, 12:53 PM
This shotgun has a lot of sentimental value to me. It was the very first gun I bought for myself. For the grand sum of 60.00. This was more than 50 years ago. Since this was the only shotgun I had for years. I became quite deadly with it. Even today it acts like an extension of myself.

Anyway I had the misfortune of having the stock break. Try to get info on the web proves to be worthless. I want to know if a 12 gauge stock would fit this 20 gauge. Basically the stock is held on with a screw in the tang. Plus a tight fit going on. 12 gauge stocks are easy to find and reasonably priced. Not so the 20 gauge stocks.

Anyone on here had the same problem ?

https://macongunstocks.com/store%2Finventory/ols/categories/remington-model-11-remington-11 $130 bucks

I have bought from them in the past.
You may need to do a final fitting, a little sanding, & Tung oil, but in the end it looked great. Recommend them anytime.

1lugnut
12-28-2023, 09:31 PM
Well what was the verdict on using a 12 gauge stock i bought one without a buttstock and am in the same situation can’t seem to find any 20 gauge stocks

Kestrel4k
12-28-2023, 09:37 PM
Sorry that I can't add much to the conversation, but I do have this pic showing the 3-4 different Model 11 tang inlettings.

I also have pics of measurements I did of the tang dimensions re: my pre-11, 12ga:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/pyzh6221njv2ecrs4adck/h?rlkey=pyq76c76xvlvxd71uj6mhyr24&dl=0