PDA

View Full Version : Looking for flexible insulated wire

abunaitoo
10-23-2023, 03:46 AM
I have a few test leads with wire that is very flexible.
Anyone know what it's called and where I can find some????
The normal wire is a little stiff for what I need.

lavenatti
10-23-2023, 06:19 AM
It's usually just called test probe wire. It has very fine stranded wire and soft insulation to make it flexible. Try Jameco Electronics, Digi-Key, Mouser Electronics and maybe even the Electronic Goldmine.
Shouldn't be hard to find.

Jeffrey
10-23-2023, 08:27 AM
Depending on what gauge the wire is, SJ or SO is the heavier than 18ga type of wire you are looking for. SJ and SO wire is very fine stranded, making it very flexible.

Screwbolts
10-23-2023, 10:09 AM
Super flex, used in the Radio control electric airplane power systems and other applications.

You might try one of the after market sound system installers for autos. they generally use a silicon insulated version of the super flex and you can usually buy it right from their rolls.

I have it here from 20Ga to 6 Gauge in size for various projects I have done.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-23-2023, 11:34 AM
Silicone Insulated Test Lead Wire

MaryB
10-23-2023, 12:27 PM
Test lead wire https://powerwerx.com/test-lead-rubber-flexible-wire 600 volt rated insulation...

popper
10-23-2023, 05:18 PM
Audio wire probably isn't 600v rated.

Screwbolts
10-24-2023, 12:52 PM
popper, Whatever!

farmbif
10-24-2023, 01:04 PM
some of the best insulated wire you can get is mil spec stuff for wiring electronics on airplanes, 600v, 150 degree c, rated tinned copper wire. the stuff uscg marine rated is pretty similar, its probably right up there with specs, flexibility durability quality with Fluke test leads. there is a big difference between fluke or Klein test lead wire and the junk that comes with harbor freight meters. what gauge you need determined by voltage and amperage are you running through it how much do you need and do you care what color it is do you need banana plug and receptical on the ends?

super6
10-24-2023, 01:37 PM
Automotive wire is mostly silicone coated, Comes in colors and is very flexible. Most is 16ga-18ga copper. Check your local car parts store.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-24-2023, 02:39 PM
Automotive wire is mostly silicone coated, Comes in colors and is very flexible. Most is 16ga-18ga copper. Check your local car parts store.

Actually, Automotive wire insulation is PVC.

MaryB
10-24-2023, 09:03 PM
Actually, Automotive wire insulation is PVC.

Some might have a teflon sheath for higher temp resistance. Stuff is NOT flexible enough for test leads

super6
10-25-2023, 11:04 AM
I am talking about the AFTER market stuff they sell in small spoils... Not necessarily used for automotive use. But can be. And yes it is very flexible.

.429&H110
10-27-2023, 11:39 PM
I bought spools of 18 gage MTW (600v) from Granger in every color they had (except yellow-brown-orange), I used it to rewire old control boxes when the DDC controls came along. Rewired some boxes stuffed with old solid red wire. MTW is very easy to use, very fine stranded, didn't snag, vibration proof, but I forgot the boss was colorblind. He wanted white, and not white. I pointed out we were not colorblind, and I tagged every last wire with a number, and student worker drew diagrams for everything on his device. Good practice for a kid. Air conditioner controls are based on at least five wire colors, all red wire is hard to figure out.
My favorite wire color, my signature color was shocking pink wire. You could see it ten feet away.

The OP is asking about test leads, I think, and Fluke sells a kit of good ones with all odd probes and clamps.