PDA

View Full Version : PRIMERS: Does the size of one's package matter?

prs
10-22-2023, 10:36 AM
My inventory of large pistol primers was getting pretty thin. I noticed an online major retailer finally offering to sell up to a case of 5,000 Rem LPs. Pretty spendy and only one case per a haz-mat ship fee -- YIKES.

Well, what is a mother to do? I ordered. When they came in I gasped. This can not be right- no waythat 5,000 LPs fit in those little boxes! But, it appears to be true. I have not used Rem primers for pistol before, but they have to beat not having any.

PigeonRoost

45_Colt
10-22-2023, 11:07 AM
The Federal primers are the ones in the big boxes. They take up a lot of room. IIRC, this had to do with a couple of batches that were too sensitive. And would chain react within the boxes. So they got spread out in the trays.

But yea, Federals take up at least 4 times the room as they are further apart within the trays.

Other then storage space, a large flip tray is required.

45_Colt

Pipefitter
10-22-2023, 12:11 PM
Just bought 5k Rem 7 1/2 from Natchez, came out to $100/k after shipping and hazmat. Natchez states that up to 50# per hazmat fee. I could have bought powder under the fee, but I have more powder than I have primers for right now.
BTW, Rem 7 1/2 are the suggested go to primers for the 450 Bushmaster.

Hick
10-22-2023, 07:55 PM
My inventory of large pistol primers was getting pretty thin. I noticed an online major retailer finally offering to sell up to a case of 5,000 Rem LPs. Pretty spendy and only one case per a haz-mat ship fee -- YIKES.

Well, what is a mother to do? I ordered. When they came in I gasped. This can not be right- no waythat 5,000 LPs fit in those little boxes! But, it appears to be true. I have not used Rem primers for pistol before, but they have to beat not having any.

PigeonRoost

I have used them and they shoot great! Like those little boxes because they are easier to store.

hoodat
10-22-2023, 08:01 PM
Good Lord, I hate those ridiculous huge Federal boxes. jd

35 Rem
10-22-2023, 11:45 PM
Yeah, it takes half a garage to store a couple cases of Federal primers. :) I have several old boxes of Federal back when they were a sensible size and the difference is unbelievable. Also have 3 plus cases of Remington SR that can be tucked away under a pile of rags and nobody would even notice them. Apparently Remington is catching up with orders as a wholesaler I buy from got in SP and SR and is selling them for $69.99 per 1,000. You have to have a FFL to buy them though. I broke my pledge to hold off for lower prices and ordered 2 cases of SP. I was down to 7 bricks and starting to sweat seeing all this political instability plus the idea that we may have another Biden term ahead. Now I should be set for another full demoRat term in the White House. If they go down to $50 per 1,000 I'll buy even more.

imashooter2
10-23-2023, 12:42 AM
Good Lord, I hate those ridiculous huge Federal boxes. jd

Hate the packaging, love the primers. My lightly sprung competition revolvers demand them for reliability.

frkelly74
10-23-2023, 01:38 AM
The Cabelas here had a lot of primers today. Some Winchester small pistol and small pistol Magnum for $79.99 per K and CCI various primers for $89.99 per K, Some Federal and some match primers varied from $94.99 and up. and there were some small rifle CCI that must have been very special for $149.99 per K They also had some individual 100 count trays which I hadn't seen before that way. I did also see a Glock 45 in the case ,used for $350 which began to appeal to me but there was a crowd, so I left. Their AR parts selection is growing I think. They had a Rise middle of the road drop in trigger for $140 and a bunch of other parts for more than Midway but no shipping and you can take it with you.

Lloyd Smale
10-23-2023, 05:48 AM
The Cabelas here had a lot of primers today. Some Winchester small pistol and small pistol Magnum for $79.99 per K and CCI various primers for $89.99 per K, Some Federal and some match primers varied from $94.99 and up. and there were some small rifle CCI that must have been very special for $149.99 per K They also had some individual 100 count trays which I hadn't seen before that way. I did also see a Glock 45 in the case ,used for $350 which began to appeal to me but there was a crowd, so I left. Their AR parts selection is growing I think. They had a Rise middle of the road drop in trigger for $140 and a bunch of other parts for more than Midway but no shipping and you can take it with you.

that glock would have came home with me

dverna
10-23-2023, 09:51 AM
Yeah, it takes half a garage to store a couple cases of Federal primers. :) I have several old boxes of Federal back when they were a sensible size and the difference is unbelievable. Also have 3 plus cases of Remington SR that can be tucked away under a pile of rags and nobody would even notice them. Apparently Remington is catching up with orders as a wholesaler I buy from got in SP and SR and is selling them for $69.99 per 1,000. You have to have a FFL to buy them though. I broke my pledge to hold off for lower prices and ordered 2 cases of SP. I was down to 7 bricks and starting to sweat seeing all this political instability plus the idea that we may have another Biden term ahead. Now I should be set for another full demoRat term in the White House. If they go down to $50 per 1,000 I'll buy even more.

$50/k is my buy-in price as well. I am in decent shape on primers so not panicking...yet.

Soundguy
10-23-2023, 11:12 AM

PigeonRoost

you think remington are condensed.. fiocchi fit 1500 in a box just HAIR bigger than the rem 1000 brick....

firefly1957
10-24-2023, 07:31 AM
I have always bought CCI primers and still have a number of older ones in the small boxes for a short while Remington LP primers where cheaper by the thousand and I bought 2 K . I used them almost exclusively in .45 acp and they worked very well for me same powder charge I used with CCI-500 . I did load a few in rifle cases with much reduced loads they worked good except with Aliant 2400 it Hercules 2400 worked fine but the newer powder gave ignition issues .

I had some Federal SP primers the cups were so soft even light loads under Berry plated bullets in .357 Mag cases had scary flat primers .

P.S. I got some copper plated 150 grain .38 hollow based wad cutters at a gun show in a bag maker unknown. I loaded some for my S&W target Masterpiece and they shot 6 inch 15 yard group! I shot some into a snow bank and recovered them and found the plating was slipping or ripped off the bullets. I decided to try coating the bullets to see if it would help . The bullets were painted with spray Enamel Rustoleum red paint and baked at 400 degrees for 30 minutes . Same loading now shoots into a inch and a half at 15 yards for a torture test I loaded some backwards seating them out to the same depth as a 158 grain bullet .The load of little gun claims 1500 f/s from a non-vented 10" barrel the load was a snug fit in chamber throat but they did shoot well . Since then I loaded some old 150 grain Serria 150 grain JHC with same load they averaged 1250 f/s .

P.S. while cleaning I found a box of 100 pistol primers I did not have stored with the rest as they are Federal S.P. and the box is so large they really do not fit in with CCI boxes! I also have .38 special only wrote on the box because even light loads in .357 magnum flatten them badly.

bbs70
10-29-2023, 03:38 PM
I went up to Grafs in Mexico,Mo the other day & got 2k CCi small pistol primers & 1K large pistol primers

I don't like paying $83+ per thousand but as wifey says they aren't going to get cheaper any time soon
Was going to order them, but a $25 hazmat fee on top of a $29 shipping fee just hit me wrong

Soundguy
10-29-2023, 07:39 PM
Yep you can almost bet on them never getting cheaper.

SeabeeMan
10-30-2023, 08:16 PM
Agreed, that's my restock price.

you think remington are condensed.. fiocchi fit 1500 in a box just HAIR bigger than the rem 1000 brick....