PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1895CB Chewing brass.

Psycho0124
02-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I've only had the thing a couple months and have noticed it's recently developed a habit of chewing the base of my cartridges. It looks like a pretty deep check-mark shaped scratch running from near the primer pocket to the edge of the rim. I'm also finding little rings of shaved brass laying on the bolt. Not sure if this is happening on the feed or ejection stroke but I'm betting ejection.

I've been shooting pretty hot loads in the thing.
400g cast boolit on 51g H4198 powder with magnum primers. Could this scratching be a symptom of overpressure? I'm also getting some primer cratering so I'll probably back off on the charge a little anyway just in case. These damned 45-70s seem to self-disassemble after a few hundred rounds so I guess something might have come loose somewhere in there.

Anyone seen anything like this before?
Thanks for any info ya might have!

thor32382
02-14-2009, 12:26 PM
I got one just under a year ago and if I remember right I had the same thing happen when I first started shooting but, I examined my brass from the last time I shot and it doesn't do it anymore. I load mine with Hornady 300gr XTPs and 58.5 grains of H4198 which is a grain and a half below the max that Hogdon recommends. The first couple I had I think I had more powder than I thought and the brass would be hard to eject and the primers would be pushed out a bit.

I threw out the brass that I thought was overpressured. I'm pretty much an amateur in handloading and am very cautious. Like I said I do remember the problem that you spoke of and it doesn't happen anymore so I think it could be just a breaking in thing. Hope I helped out.

NHlever
02-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Often there is a burr in the action, or a sharp edge that causes this kind of thing. Look carefully at the bolt, ejector, and ejection port to see if you find matching brass markings, or buildup. That will tell you what is causing your problem.

August
02-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I've been around the block with Marlin ejectors. While the extractor on Marlins is first rate, the ejector makes the whole action needlessly stiff and jerky. Getting the ejector to run smoothly in the bolt channel that accommodates it is difficult. Further, smoothing the leading edge of that channel (bolt face) and the ramp on the ejector is tedious. Beveling the leading edge of the channel is necessary for making the action run anything near smoothly.

I've never experienced the issue you describe, but my dislike of the Marlin ejector system causes me to make these remarks.

On a new Marlin, the ejector springs out very quickly from its "rest" position and might well be the cause of your situation.

Guns should eject towards the rear, not the front.....

Psycho0124
02-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Hey thanks for the tips! I gave the rifle a good cleaning and ran another 50 rounds through the thing (shoulder is healing up nicely!) and the problem disappeared. I guess I'll keep an eye out for the problem and troubleshoot further if/when it comes up again. Maybe it was just a "breaking in" behavior like thor suggested. Thanks again!

Hey, anyone tried the "MARLIN BEAR-PROOF EJECTOR (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16629)"?
http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/981000003.jpg

foxtrapper
02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Yep I used the Wild West ejector. Works well as did the stock part:-D I really could not tell the difference between the two. It is a well made piece!