PDA

View Full Version : Powder horn question

Sasquatch-1
10-21-2023, 08:12 AM
Has anyone tried to use a laser engraver to etch on a powder horn? With the irregular shape, I was wondering if it is possible. I am thinking large areas of the horn, like a map or similar drawing.

pietro
10-21-2023, 08:59 AM

Nope........ I would think that a laser-etched whatever would look too perfect for my tastes, on a powder horn.

I'm more into original-looking, rustic-style horns, like a frontiersman would have likely made/used (YMMV, of course).

Rockingkj
10-21-2023, 09:32 AM
No experience with laser engraving. I would suspect the curve of the horn would make it problematic. I have found that push engravers like I use for metal engraving work well to “scrim” the design on powder horns. I have bit better control than a handle with a needle when cutting the design.

Sasquatch-1
10-21-2023, 01:43 PM
No experience with laser engraving. I would suspect the curve of the horn would make it problematic. I have found that push engravers like I use for metal engraving work well to “scrim” the design on powder horns. I have bit better control than a handle with a needle when cutting the design.

I have tried scrimshawing by hand, but I am NO artist. If I can get a design on the horn to trace, I only do a so-so job.

The curve of the horn is my concern. I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to overcome this.

1Hawkeye
10-21-2023, 03:09 PM
Never tried Lazer but when I did my horn I used my vent pick then rubbed India ink in the scratches.

pietro
10-21-2023, 03:28 PM
The curve of the horn is my concern. I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to overcome this.

Practice, practice & practice - using short strokes ( aka: baby steps) on a firmly secured/supported horn ( like the horn held inside a piece of rough/heavy leather shoved down a little, between your legs/thighs, for support)

Sasquatch-1
10-22-2023, 08:14 AM
Practice, practice & practice - using short strokes ( aka: baby steps) on a firmly secured/supported horn ( like the horn held inside a piece of rough/heavy leather shoved down a little, between your legs/thighs, for support)

Hip and lower back problems. I wouldn't be able to hold it like that without experiencing extreme pain.

KenH
10-22-2023, 08:37 AM
The problem with using a laser to engrave a powder horn is the shape of the horn. A laser requires the laser maintain the same distance from the surface during the whole process. While there is some leeway, even a 1/4" will be too much change. There are some high end lasers that have a "Z" axis control, the distance change still has to be programmed in so the laser can move the Z axis to maintain the same distance.

With that all said, the horn could be chucked in a 3D type chuck so the horn would rotate too allow a small area of the horn to be engraved.

country gent
10-22-2023, 08:41 AM
You would need to very accurately "map" the surface to maintain the shape. I would think f the z axis varies then the width of the line will fade and get wider or narrower

Somebody
10-24-2023, 03:37 PM
Given the focus limitations of most laser markers, an alternative approach could be to print a flexible stencil on a Cricut or similar plotter.

If you think cutting and filing horns smells bad, consider the powerful burnt-hair stink a laser would make!