PDA

View Full Version : The DUMBEST question ever ask, buy a person that has reloaded as long as I have!

gcollins
02-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Howdy Guys,
:confused: I was looking for a icon that stude for Imbarassed!! I have made this statement several times, because I am proud of something that I have done, and done a good job at! I have been reloading for 32 years! To me reloading is rewarding in so many ways, it started off as cost effective way to shoot, and still is! But also it becomes a obession to do the best, you can and do things people say you can't! When I thought I was going to CAS (and I havn't given up on it totaly) I knew my back couldn't handle the recoil of a double barrel 12ga, and not certain on the 20ga. I shoot Register Skeet and had 3-366 Hordnady press and a 410 mec progessive. Not know what i was going to do, I bought a old Crescent 16ga SXS in a box, I was lucky a friend had a side plate sxs that was close, and he let me duplicate the guts of this sxs because there wern't anything in there! I bought a OLd Mec 16 ga reloader, that was made for the cardboard wads! DownRange had never got ther 3/4 oz 16 ga wads on the market, so i got all my books out, figure how I could load a 410 2 1/2' load in these 16ga empties, and still have good wad pressure and good crimp.
:roll::roll: Sorry for getting off topic!
My question is: what do you do, when you swag a bullet?? A couple of months ago, I bought a box of misc. reloading stuff, and in there is a box marker Herters Swagger, i open it up and look, took it apart, and it has a 8mm piece.
So why do you swag???

I am so sorry to ask just a dumb question?
Greg

Ballard
02-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Swaging can be several things. It can be forming a bare piece of lead into a bullet shape. This is done in a smooth die of correct diameter, with a punch on each end of the shape you are looking for. (flat, Keith, RN, etc). You swage UP. The piece comes out larger in diameter.
Another type is jacketed bullets. You swage a core to proper wt. and dia.. Then you seat (swage) the core in a jacket, then swage the point form on the jacketed core. Hope this helps.

Pressman
02-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Greg, can you post a picture of the Herter's swagger? They never made 8mm swaging dies so I am thinking you may have a primer pocket swager used to remove the crimp on military brass.
Ken

Pepe Ray
02-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Seems like the question was " WHY".
I don't swage. For me, casting meets my needs at a price I can manage.
If, for example, you have an aversion to HOT things, you may consider making your bullets via extreme pressure IE. SWAGE. As stated above, this method will also allow the manufacturing of "condums".
Any time I looked into it, the prices for equipment were scary. At least, as a caster, I could scrounge up most of what I needed. (I'm cheap)
Otherwise the reasons why are pretty much as those of casters.
Pepe Ray

Ballard
02-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Pepe,
I just reread his post. He asked WHAT do you do when you swage.l You supplied your version of "why."

gcollins
02-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Pressman, I will go out and, take some photos, this evening and post them! If any one is a Herters Collector I have a lot of Herters stuff!I shipped off the most monster looking all in one die, that i showed a person, and he said it was for 50 cal, but it turned out to be for a 12ga shotgun, the guy is sending it back to me, said he has been seeing them bring a $100.00.
I have reloading press that makes a Rocker Chucker like a Lee C press!
later Greg

Pressman
02-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks Greg. I am a Herter's collector, and everything else besides.
Ken

gcollins
02-14-2009, 07:46 PM
The only reason, I said it was 8mm, is someone wrote than on top of the box!
I have never posted pic's so here we go.
Thanks for looking, it is for sale, I just want to get a fair price without putting it on ebay!
Thanks Greg

obssd1958
02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Greg,
That actually looks like it might be a collet style bullet puller...

Pressman
02-14-2009, 11:51 PM
That is a bullet puller and in very nice condition. I have one like it in the collection.
Ken