PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 LOADING FEEDING FIX Two-Tone Tac MOD 357 R92 Lever-Action 1892 Rifle

MuayThaiJJ
10-20-2023, 05:47 PM
Took me a while to figure it out, but now it runs great! I followed everyone's advice, lightened the magazine tube spring, and loading gate spring. But it needs a lot more to smooth out the loading process.

I decided to go two-tone as well and replace some choice parts to stainless 8-)

Hope this helps anyone that has the same issues as well:

https://youtu.be/bdzegP7ZTas

SAN14
10-20-2023, 09:14 PM
I had never seen the smoothing of the juncture of the frame and mag tube. Great fix! I'll have to check both of my Rossi 92's for that problem. I have been reluctant to remove any material on the loading gate but may do that now while they are apart. I did shorten the mag springs by about 4inches which did make loading easier. Thanks for the info.!

MuayThaiJJ
10-20-2023, 10:06 PM
I had never seen the smoothing of the juncture of the frame and mag tube. Great fix! I'll have to check both of my Rossi 92's for that problem. I have been reluctant to remove any material on the loading gate but may do that now while they are apart. I did shorten the mag springs by about 4inches which did make loading easier. Thanks for the info.!

My pleasure! It is night and day

rancher1913
10-21-2023, 07:40 AM
have a rossi maresleg, will have to try this, thanks

Sig556r
10-21-2023, 08:17 AM
Nice trick, I’ll try this as well

Hickok
10-21-2023, 09:13 AM
Great info and video!

Been looking at the Rossi R92 in 44magnum....still undecided.

Castaway
10-21-2023, 10:23 AM
If Rossi’s were so reliable, Steve of Steve’s Gunz wouldn’t have such a thriving business. Never again for me. Accuracy issues, feeding problems, poor quality control on fit/finish, and lack of support convinced me to get rid of mine

DAVIDMAGNUM
10-21-2023, 11:05 AM
If Rossi’s were so reliable, Steve of Steve’s Gunz wouldn’t have such a thriving business. Never again for me. Accuracy issues, feeding problems, poor quality control on fit/finish, and lack of support convinced me to get rid of mine

I have two Rossi lever action firearms, both 357 magnum, one a carbine one a rifle. Both had chambers that looked like they were bored with a spade bit. The chambers were rough, had radial gouges and were oversized. Both had tight bores (.354) with rifling that was just under .002 deep. Neither could be made to shoot cast bullets accurately or without leading. The springs and rough action can be dealt with. A bad barrel can not. The rifle sits in the back of my safe as a testament to stupidity. The carbine was rebarreled by McGowen Precision Barrels.
I agree, done with Rossi.

MuayThaiJJ
10-21-2023, 12:12 PM
have a rossi maresleg, will have to try this, thanks

Let me know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuayThaiJJ
10-21-2023, 12:12 PM
Nice trick, I’ll try this as well

keep me posted

dverna
10-21-2023, 12:29 PM
I had one Rossi and it was OK but no amount of work will make them run as well as an 1873 clone or Marlin.

But they are far less money and a decent gun for a guy who is not looking for perfection. Like others, I would not own another as I have "seen the light".

Hickok
10-21-2023, 03:27 PM
After hearing from the members here, I am going to turn away from the temptation to buy a Rossi. Seems they are about as reliable as a French Chauchat MG.

I'll stay with my Winchesters and Henrys.:smile:

indian joe
10-21-2023, 09:17 PM
I had one Rossi and it was OK but no amount of work will make them run as well as an 1873 clone or Marlin.

But they are far less money and a decent gun for a guy who is not looking for perfection. Like others, I would not own another as I have "seen the light".

no amount of work will make any 92 run as nice as a 73 ------trade a little bit of "sweet" for strength and versatility ????? individual choice
also double the price for the 73 .................................................. ...apples to oranges maybe???

dverna
10-22-2023, 08:18 AM
no amount of work will make any 92 run as nice as a 73 ------trade a little bit of "sweet" for strength and versatility ????? individual choice
also double the price for the 73 .................................................. ...apples to oranges maybe???

Yes...apples to oranges. But a buy once cry once decision if someone has the money. But I was shooting CAS and speed matters. None of the competitive shooters use 92's for a reason.

BTW sold both of my 1873's and kept the Marlins. Hot brass hitting my head got old...LOL.

MuayThaiJJ
10-22-2023, 12:03 PM
If you like to tinker or are handy the Rossi is a fun project. Good value but def needs some work out of the box

cabezaverde
10-22-2023, 02:29 PM
Is the loading gate removeable w/o taking the entire rifle apart?

MuayThaiJJ
10-22-2023, 02:30 PM
Yes

indian joe
10-22-2023, 04:44 PM
Yes...apples to oranges. But a buy once cry once decision if someone has the money. But I was shooting CAS and speed matters. None of the competitive shooters use 92's for a reason.

BTW sold both of my 1873's and kept the Marlins. Hot brass hitting my head got old...LOL.

I would make the same remarks comparing the 76 to 86 (have a repro of each) - chalk and cheese to operate - yeah the 86 had the edge at the pointy end but comparing original blackpowder loadings it was not a huge edge ---45/75 at least equal to the 45/70
50/95 to 50/110 ??? not such a huge advantage?

My old Rossi 357 was a good piece but never fed as nice as any of the proper 92's I have owned - I think Winchester knew something when they designed their "dash" rounds.

Never owned a Marlin - unlikely I will but some of the videos I saw of tricked up marlins were darn impressive.....................

bcraig
11-03-2023, 04:54 AM
Yes

How do you remove the loading gate without taking the rifle apart ?

Froogal
11-03-2023, 09:51 AM
I own 2 Rossi 92s. .357 and .45 Colt. Shoot .38 specials in the .357. Both are as accurate as I am, and never had any problems with either rifle.

MuayThaiJJ
11-03-2023, 12:16 PM
How do you remove the loading gate without taking the rifle apart ?

Doing this in my head, you maybe be able to open the bolt all the way. Then unscrew the loading gate, let it drop down and slide it out. When you reinstall it, you need to carefully place it back and prop it up with your finger and screw it back in. It is way easier if you can remove the bolt, but with some finagling I think it is possible

bcraig
11-03-2023, 02:05 PM
Doing this in my head, you maybe be able to open the bolt all the way. Then unscrew the loading gate, let it drop down and slide it out. When you reinstall it, you need to carefully place it back and prop it up with your finger and screw it back in. It is way easier if you can remove the bolt, but with some finagling I think it is possible

Thank's

oley55
11-04-2023, 08:41 PM
love em or hate em a good source for Rossi R92 discussions: https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewforum.php?f=9

indian joe
11-11-2023, 07:45 AM
After hearing from the members here, I am going to turn away from the temptation to buy a Rossi. Seems they are about as reliable as a French Chauchat MG.

I'll stay with my Winchesters and Henrys.:smile:

Its not only Rossi's
I have a Browning 71 that someone skipped a step in the machining of the bolt
Have a Chiappa 86 would not feed from the magazine until I fixed it
Uberti 76 came with atrocious trigger pull .

plenty of "kit guns" out there

Hickok
11-11-2023, 09:22 AM
Anyone have any experience with Rossi R92 in .357 magnum?

I know they have a 1 in 30" twist, but how are the chambers and the groove diameters of these barrels?

The .44 mags seem to have a reputation for large groove diameters,....are the .357 barrels also this way?

indian joe
11-12-2023, 08:11 AM
Anyone have any experience with Rossi R92 in .357 magnum?

I know they have a 1 in 30" twist, but how are the chambers and the groove diameters of these barrels?

The .44 mags seem to have a reputation for large groove diameters,....are the .357 barrels also this way?

had a very early one - it shot well with the LEE 158 boolit
chamber was crap - rough machining, had a gouge mark/ring around it about halfway - had a couple of instances where old 38spl cases expanded into the groove and were difficult to extract - tossed them and used nickle 357 cases for smokeless = all good

jstanfield103
11-13-2023, 04:36 AM
I have 4 Rossi Lever guns. 3 92;s and one 1895 action.
I have them in 45/70 Rio Grande, 454 Casull, 357/38 16" barrel with big loop and a 357/38 24" Hexagon barrel in SS. The only problem that I have on any of them is the 24" chamber is not as smooth, when I fire the spent casing come out with the lines in the brass. They reload fine so I am not worried about that. The rifle shoots like a laser. Very accurate. But that same rifle sometimes the rounds get hung up a little on loading the magazine tube. So I do need to go in and smooth that out a little. I Love all my Rossi's, they are not as nice as my Two Winchester 92's though. I like my 1873 in 45 Colt but it is not nearly as strong action as the 92's.

cabezaverde
11-19-2023, 06:26 PM
How much are you guys removing from the loading gate spring?

MuayThaiJJ
11-19-2023, 06:30 PM
How much are you guys removing from the loading gate spring?

Take a look:
https://youtu.be/bdzegP7ZTas

indian joe
11-20-2023, 12:18 AM
If you like to tinker or are handy the Rossi is a fun project. Good value but def needs some work out of the box

The latest Aussie gunrag has a Rossi "cowboy" = actual wood + 24" octagonal barrel for AU$999
same rag --marlin 1894 "Dark" = tacticrap lookin 16" for AU$2534
I bet a Uberti or Japchester would be pushing $3k or over it

2 Rossi's and enough for the slickup parts ----a no brainer where I sit.....