PDA

View Full Version : Tell FM Hi-Power Pistol

buckwheatpaul
10-20-2023, 07:49 AM
I just came into a FM Hi-Power 9 mm pistol. I believe it is also called a Model 90 if I remember right. It was made in Argentina and was imported by SportArms. It looks like my Browning Hi-Power and it looks and functions about like it does. I just do not know the good the bad and the ugly about it. If ya got one; had one; or used one I would appreciate your thoughts on this pistol. It does appear to be well made but I would truly appreciate your input. Thanks In Advance.....Paul

rancher1913
10-20-2023, 08:05 AM
not an expert but i believe all the hi powers were made overseas and sold to various places to be kind of sorta rebranded. browning in utah imported a bunch and sold them in the us. i have 2 of the browning hi powers and like them

txbirdman
10-20-2023, 08:53 AM
I had one several years ago. I believe they were licensed copies of the Browning design rather than clones. As I recall they don’t have the narrowing cuts on the front of the slide which was done originally to meet weight requirements. The one I had was a good pistol.

nicholst55
10-20-2023, 08:55 AM
The Argie guns are license-built copies of the FN Hi-Power. The finish tends to be a bit cruder than FN-made guns, but the price typically reflects that. They are good, sound guns, that are just as reliable as an FN-built gun. I bought a used one for cheap many moons ago, and it has been utterly reliable with good magazines and ammo. I had Novak sights put on mine back before that was cool for Hi-Powers, and bought a bunch of Mec-Gar mags for it. I recently added an FN-made ambi safety and some nice walnut grips, and it's still chugging right along.

scattershot
10-20-2023, 11:32 AM
I had two of them back in the day, and as others have said the only difference I could tell was the parkerized finish. Good, solid pistols.

Scorpion8
10-20-2023, 01:43 PM
According to what I read back when I also purchased an FM Argentine, Browning sold them the machinery to make their own handguns. Most parts swap between an FN HiPower and the Argentine version. Mine is very accurate, and his a keeper.

nueces5
10-20-2023, 02:07 PM
Hello, I am Argentine, and as they say above with pistols made by Fabricaciones Militares (FM) under FN license.
At first they imported the FNs from Belgium, then they bought the license and began manufacturing them here. They were supplied by the police and the military until a few years ago when they began to be replaced by Bersa pistols with double action. I think that many police officers close to retirement have not changed their FMs for the new Bersa ones.
They have been manufactured for many years, I have one of the last ones that have been manufactured, its coating is a paint that is very easy to scratch, unfortunately, the barrel is cold hammered, so it is of excellent quality. A beautiful pistol and very pleasant to shoot in my hand. That's one of the guns I wouldn't sell.

nicholst55
10-20-2023, 08:21 PM
Hello, I am Argentine, and as they say above with pistols made by Fabricaciones Militares (FM) under FN license.
At first they imported the FNs from Belgium, then they bought the license and began manufacturing them here. They were supplied by the police and the military until a few years ago when they began to be replaced by Bersa pistols with double action. I think that many police officers close to retirement have not changed their FMs for the new Bersa ones.
They have been manufactured for many years, I have one of the last ones that have been manufactured, its coating is a paint that is very easy to scratch, unfortunately, the barrel is cold hammered, so it is of excellent quality. A beautiful pistol and very pleasant to shoot in my hand. That's one of the guns I wouldn't sell.

My gun also has the black paint finish, and is one of the very few things that I don't like about the gun. If it gets to looking too terrible bad, I'll either have it parkerized or Ceracoted.

buckwheatpaul
10-21-2023, 06:31 AM
Thanks guys for the info. Mine has the black finish and the bobbed hammer....plan of firing it this next week beside my Browning Hi-Power and thus have a reference point. The Cerokete or parkarization is a great idea.....wonder how it would do with a red dot?

FergusonTO35
10-21-2023, 08:53 PM
I would buy one in a second! Still kicking myself for not buying NIB FEG copies for $249.95 back in the day.

Green Frog
10-21-2023, 09:48 PM
I would buy one in a second! Still kicking myself for not buying NIB FEG copies for $249.95 back in the day.

Yep, the FEG copies caught my fancy 20 or so years ago, but for one reason or another, I never quite bought one. In point of fact, it seems like all of the licensed copies were and are pretty good, but FEG seems to be a very good expression of the design.
Froggie

36g
10-21-2023, 10:23 PM
The Israeli Kareen is a clone - I believe made by FEG for Israel. I've got FEG's. Kareens, Argentine FM and Brownings. None have ever failed. A couple of the Brownings were training pistols , painted red, and sold by SARCO a few decades ago. A bit of TLC and they were returned to military configuration with lanyard rings, ringed hammers, and parkerized or parked and painted finish. Blank adapted a couple for reenacting purposes.

All are great pistols.

txbirdman
10-21-2023, 11:22 PM
I currently have a well worn Israeli FEG complete with ring hammer and lanyard ring. I really like the pistol. It is utterly reliable.

buckwheatpaul
10-22-2023, 07:01 AM
Thank you all for the information. Going to try her out and see how she runs this next week.

siamese4570
10-22-2023, 07:20 AM
Buckwheatpaul, I used to have one of those. I sent it to cylinder and slide to have the sights changed. They specialize in hi-powers. The one thing that I noticed with mine was that it didn't eject the brass very far. It piled it right at899 my feet. After further research I found out the Argentines oversized the bore to reduce the chamber pressure when firing 9mm ammo meant for sub machine guns.
Evidently it is loaded much hotter than standard 9mm ammo. I slugged the bore and it was .357. Found a Browning barrel and it dropped right in. Problem solved. Don't know if they still do this but just something to be aware of.
Siamese4570

FergusonTO35
10-24-2023, 02:19 PM
Yep, the FEG copies caught my fancy 20 or so years ago, but for one reason or another, I never quite bought one. In point of fact, it seems like all of the licensed copies were and are pretty good, but FEG seems to be a very good expression of the design.
Froggie

I have read that the FEG is 100% interchangeable with FN/Browning parts, a huge plus. Would love to see one of the new EAA Turkish clones but nobody here ever gets them. The new Springfield SA-35 always sells the same day they put it under the glass.

M-Tecs
10-24-2023, 02:51 PM
For the people that want more info on FEG's https://highpowercollectors.proboards.com/thread/1013/feg-factory-references-informations

36g
10-25-2023, 10:34 PM
For the people that want more info on FEG's https://highpowercollectors.proboards.com/thread/1013/feg-factory-references-informations

Thanks for the link! This site has a wealth of info!

txbirdman
10-26-2023, 06:56 AM
Thanks so much for this link. It takes my P9 FEG HP from “bastard” status to a documented licensed hipower. I knew all along it was a quality pistol but now there’s proof.

Gavetta
10-26-2023, 08:02 AM
rear sight on mine shot loose.slide metal appears soft.still dont regret buying it