PDA

View Full Version : Joint replacements

fixit
10-19-2023, 04:28 PM
As I post this I am recuperating from a knee replacement, doing well for any who wonder. At any rate, it appears I will be having the other knee, and a reverse replacement for my shoulder! At 62, I'm amazed at the things I did when young that I'm paying for now. All of this is to ask, does anyone have experience with shoulder replacements as members of the shooting community. I am concerned about the ability to continue shooting after recovery. In addition, I am an archer, but I already know that will take a long time to regain!

Winger Ed.
10-19-2023, 05:19 PM
I think you might be rather limited on high recoil rifles.
I was at the range and got to talking to a guy there, and found out he was a Viet Nam Army vet.
He was shooting an AR. I had among other things, the .45-70.

I told him if he'd gone into the Army in 1867 instead of 1967,
he'd have qualified with this, and asked if he wanted to shoot it.
He pulled his shirt collar down to show scars like you'd expect to see on the Frankenstein monster, and said,
'I'd like to, but.. No,,, I can't do that any more'.

elmacgyver0
10-19-2023, 05:29 PM
I wasn't aware the .45-70 was around in 1867.

fixit
10-19-2023, 05:39 PM
That's kinda what I was afraid of. I have a 45-70 that I will load way down if I want to shoot it, I suspect.......gettin' old ain't for sissies.....ugh!

gmsharps
10-19-2023, 05:53 PM
Don't know if you shoot much shotgun stuff but a 28 gauge is mighty easy on the shoulder.

gmsharps

Winger Ed.
10-19-2023, 05:57 PM

That was the first year Trapdoors hit the street.

The Army bought some in 1866, and the 5th version of it became standard issue in 1873.
Neither of us knew the exact date when the Army bought it, but he got the general idea.

Winger Ed.
10-19-2023, 06:18 PM
I had a buddy that as he got older, he had joint problems, and a couple new knees, but not a shoulder.
He developed a new love for .22s and bought a couple of high end ones.
He made the observation that as a kid, the most fun guns he ever shot were .22s, and they're pretty cheap to feed.

Rapier
10-19-2023, 06:56 PM
Yep, cadaver parts, total rotator tendon, some 180 # mono cross sutures, ala parachute riser style attachment, 2" off the collar bone to fit, with five stainless steel screws. Suggest you save a couple pain pills left for the first rehab session. After six months, my movement exceeded my non rebuilt shoulder, but, I doubled my rehab exercises after 60 days, stacked a lot of full cans and heavy plates in the cabinet, one handed, pulled and pushed a lot of rubber bands. Cutting your first peace of meat by yourself, is interesting, that will fix your need to pull a bow string or feel real recoil.

Suggest you get a 6mm AR-15 to hunt with. Forget the 45-70.

ebb
10-19-2023, 07:26 PM
I have rotor cuff tears in both shoulders, Dr said that they happened so long ago that the muscle that gets reattached has atrophied till it doesn't exist anymore. He recommended total shoulder replacement; I looked it up on the internet and it scared me half to death. My daughter was once a physical therapist and told me that the reverse patients she worked on did way better than the conventional style. I have retired and work over my head has ended for me so i can get by without the surgery, for now. I would guess if it was on the bow arm it would be worse than you arm you pull with. My wife is a 5-time national champion archer and has he some work done on her bow arm shoulder. They took blood from her and centrifuged it and injected the stem cells into her shoulder joint. There are several types of this that don't use fetal stem cells. She has avoided surgery thus far for 5 or 6 years, check and see if you are a candidate for this. and maybe avoid the replacement. She got in a brawl at school and had her wrist shattered and is recuperating now. I think her stick flipping days are over.

Hick
10-19-2023, 08:19 PM
The "reverse" shoulder joint replacement is nifty. My wife had it and it works great.

Finster101
10-19-2023, 08:29 PM
There is a reason a bunch of old guys really get into .22s

M-Tecs
10-19-2023, 11:02 PM

It wasn't but the 50/70 was.

https://armyhistory.org/the-springfield-model-1873-rifle/
the Model 1865 ord_2Springfield, known as “Allin’s Alteration” and later the “Needle Gun” for its long firing pin. The M1865 used a copper-cased cartridge which propelled a .58 caliber bullet with sixty grains of powder. Allin modified his design by lowering the caliber from .58 to .50 after a series of trials in 1866, resulting in the Model 1866. On the frontier, the M1866 performed admirably during several engagements with Indian warriors, and it gained a reputation as a dependable firearm. However, there were flaws in its design, most notably, the breech block tended to swing open when under pressure. Eager to correct this flaw, the Ordnance Department began a series of trials to find a suitable replacement to the M1866.

In 1873, the Ordnance Department adopted the Springfield No. 99 as the standard infantry weapon of the U.S. Army. Later designated the Springfield Model 1873 and nicknamed the “Springfield Trapdoor,” the rifle would serve the American military for the next twenty years. The rifle got its nickname from its breech-loading mechanism, which resembled a trapdoor. To load a round, a soldier had to open the latch and manually insert a single cartridge.

The M1873 had a 32 5/8-inch barrel and fired a new .45-70 cartridge.

https://gunsmagazine.com/our-experts/the-other-trapdoor-the-50-70/

https://armscollectors.com/trapdoor/

BLAHUT
10-19-2023, 11:06 PM
As I post this I am recuperating from a knee replacement, doing well for any who wonder. At any rate, it appears I will be having the other knee, and a reverse replacement for my shoulder! At 62, I'm amazed at the things I did when young that I'm paying for now. All of this is to ask, does anyone have experience with shoulder replacements as members of the shooting community. I am concerned about the ability to continue shooting after recovery. In addition, I am an archer, but I already know that will take a long time to regain!

Had lots of parts replaced; eyes; neck; back; had to learn to walk again; had to give up the recurve bow; took a long time before I could shoot anything with much recoil; could not hold up the gun; took a long time before I could hold up a pistol; went to an air gun, pistol / rifle; also shooting a .22 rim fire; now am able to shoot my 45/70 with lighter loads; can shoot a couple rounds out of my 45/70 bear gun, very heavy recoil; it all takes time; do not rush it; I did and it cost me time; YOU can also go to the other shoulder; will only take a few hours for you brain to acomate the change;

tinsnips
10-19-2023, 11:06 PM
My wife had a reverse shoulder surgery in April did her exercises like the doctor said it works real well and no more pain.

poppy42
10-20-2023, 01:24 AM

Yes I feel your pain! And I don’t mean figuratively! Let’s just say I got more metal in my body Than there is in a new Toyota! The good thing is I get great reception when I’m wired to a TV or a radio! I do tend to hide and don’t go outside during lightning storms though! LOL

Winger Ed.
10-20-2023, 01:58 AM
Looks like we have a few members that need to change their login name to 'Scrap Iron'.

abunaitoo
10-20-2023, 02:01 AM
Stretch, stretch, stretch!!!!
Take the pain.
Don't baby it.
A friend had one knee done, but to wimpy to stretch, so it didn't straighten.
Had to go under and have it cracked.
Doctor was not happy.
Therapy again, and he didn't stretch it again.
Doctor said it was his fault and refused to do the other leg.
So friend walks around with one bent leg and on bad knee.
The bent leg is causing his back to hurt.
I'm guessing all the doctors talk to each other, because none of them would touch him.
So for your own good stretch, stretch, stretch.

10x
10-20-2023, 06:14 AM
Don't know if you shoot much shotgun stuff but a 28 gauge is mighty easy on the shoulder.

gmsharps

A 12 gauge with a 7/16 oz load is light on the shoulder as well.
Match the shot weight from in 12 gauge to a 28 gauge and the 12 gauge will give a better pattern every time with lead shot. Recoil is a function of the weight of the shot, crimp, wad, and powder charge.
Velocity being equal 7/16 of an ounce of shot in a 410, 28 gauge, 20 gauge, 16 gauge and 12 gauge will give the same recoil

10x
10-20-2023, 06:25 AM
Looks like we have a few members that need to change their login name to 'Scrap Iron'.

I have 14 pounds of titanium, 7 in each knee...
The first Knee was in 2015 and was agony to get working for 6 months but worth the effort. Physio worked extremely well as I started intensive physio 2 months after surgery. Full movement took about 5 months to get to
I am 7 months into the second knee, physio started a month after surgery. I think I started intensive physio too soon as the swelling is taking much longer to go down, there is still excessive pain. I had full range of movement by the time I got to physio - after physio started pain and swelling increased. I expect it may be up to a year to get to the point where i am not reminded I have an internal prosthetic knee when I put weight on it.

Also when I went for my first surgery neither leg was in any decent physical shape and I had to regain strength in the quads in both legs. When I had the second surgery the quads in both my legs were fairly strong as I had been exercising for the 3 years priot to surgery. I was told by the surgeon that he had extreme difficulty in getting the knee joint put together properly as he had difficulty overcoming the quad muscle that had contracted, even while under a spinal anesthetic. s

fixit
10-20-2023, 08:55 AM
7 pounds of titanium per knee? That's a major replacement! Mine is more polymer than titanium, and 5 weeks out, I'm doing well! I have the advantage/curse of a high pain threshold, so therapy has been easy. I have realized that the exercises and stretching need to be a permanent part of my life. It's been funny....my belly has been getting smaller in recovery....but my weight hasn't!

fixit
10-20-2023, 09:48 AM
Had lots of parts replaced; eyes; neck; back; had to learn to walk again; had to give up the recurve bow; took a long time before I could shoot anything with much recoil; could not hold up the gun; took a long time before I could hold up a pistol; went to an air gun, pistol / rifle; also shooting a .22 rim fire; now am able to shoot my 45/70 with lighter loads; can shoot a couple rounds out of my 45/70 bear gun, very heavy recoil; it all takes time; do not rush it; I did and it cost me time; YOU can also go to the other shoulder; will only take a few hours for you brain to acomate the change;
Thank you for saying that! I am already mildly ambidextrous, and it wouldn't be difficult to shoot left handed! (2 years ago I did a 60 yard sitting left offhand shot to harvest a buck). Considering that I will have to learn to write left handed during that time, I could see spending time with air rifles getting more used to shooting lefty style!

nekshot
10-21-2023, 05:49 AM
Have metal in spine around neck, new hip and will be getting knee replaced after hunting season. I thank God for His healing, good surgeons and morphine galore! I have not been able to archery hunt for 3 years and this year I can but don’t feel like going. To much bother plus we just got a home raised steer butchered. Do not need any more meat for now.

10-21-2023, 07:40 AM
Scheduled for a new shoulder at the end of the year. After arthroscopic surgery to remove a few floaters in the knee, my knees are passible. Between torn ligaments on my wrist and this shoulder, I went to a crossbow. Excalibre. Fine recurve crossbow. I managed to make it through life with the zeal of a dumb kid (I really didn't grow up until 50). A bad parachute jump in my 20's set this whole deterioration in motion. Now in my 70's it's catching up to me. KBO per Winston Churchill.

Lloyd Smale
10-21-2023, 08:54 AM
no shoulder but both hips right ankle and right knee. had a heck of a time with the knee. it was giving me fits this spring and come to find out the knee cap came loose. they did surgery and recemented it. diring recovery it got worse and worse. they went in last month and pulled the whole thing out and replaced it. the revision surgery uses much longer spikes that anchor it to the bone. recovery from this one was a bit brutal. i always said the ankle was the worse and hips are a piece of cake but this one has me changing my mind. even the back fusion i had in june was a walk in the park compared to this latest knee thing. its just finally getting to the point i can take a step or two without crutches. by the way i held the longer revision knee in my hand and if i had to take a guess id say 3lbs. surely not 5. i too have a high tolerance for pain. probably due to the fact ive had crushed bones and a broken back and 22 surgerys. i know i havent used a single narcotic pill in the last 15 of them. personally id rather the pain then the crappy way they make me feel and the lack of crappy out the other end. by the way dad had his right shoulder done in the spring at 74 and was hunting with his 308 blr by nov.

pworley1
10-21-2023, 05:44 PM
Just about every one I soot with has something replaced. I had a hip replaced at 65. The way they do it now it is just out patient surgery. Two of our group have had shoulder replacements and continue to shoot high power rifles. One is 67 and the other is 72.

.429&H110
10-21-2023, 06:01 PM
Here is a lesson from the old folk's village-
Don't wait!
If the doctor decides you can't or won't do the fiscal therapy, you are out.

gwpercle
10-22-2023, 10:47 AM
I lost the sight in my right dominant eye and just stopped shooting .
While helping the Boy Scouts get their Shotgun Shooting badges , the man running the clay bird throwing machine ... Told me to take a few shots during a lull ... I said I could no longer shoot ... blind in right eye . He says "shoot left handed" I say what ??? I don't know how ... He puts my feet in the right stance , puts shotgun on my left shoulder and tells me to sight down the barrel , get the feel and call for a bird ... I did and I shot but didn't see the clay bird after the shot , "where it go ?" i asked ... He says "You smoked it " and after that I was back shooting ... it doesn't take long at all to learn leftie .
My hardest thing is I carry the gun , while walking, in my right hand ... if I can mount the gun on my left shoulder then I'm good . I still like to carry on my right side but I'm learning new ways like with a sling ...a slung shotgun or rifle , on my left side is easier to get left shouldered quickly ... or maybe I got that backwards ...but I have trouble chewing gum and walking !
Gary

Hogtamer
10-22-2023, 12:23 PM
This is the reverse replacement I had on left shoulder in January. I was highly skeptical but a true believer now. Gotta do the PT though.

fixit
10-22-2023, 03:14 PM
Oh yeah....pt is where the pain threshold is beneficial. I have breezed through the therapy, and decided the exercises are going to be a permanent part of my routine! I'm kind of amused that I'm losing size, but not losing weight. I had not been maintaining my bottom half because of pain, so I'm currently rebuilding under used muscles.

fixit
11-05-2023, 10:16 AM
Update on the knee recovery...I'm 7 weeks post op and returning to work tomorrow, and I'm excited to be becoming productive again. Temporary disability has not been fun...I've been getting half my normal pay, which I suppose is better than nothing, but still is tough. Oh yeah, my wife and I have been convalescencing at the same time....she had her foot operated on a week after I had my knee done, so we've both been recuperating at the same time.....yes, we're kinda crazy!

Bmi48219
11-05-2023, 01:14 PM
So for those who’ve had hip replacement surgery,
How long were you dealing with hip pain before you did the surgery?
Did your hip problem develop over time or pretty fast?
If fast, did a particular incident occur that triggered the pain?
I’m asking because a few weeks ago I had to put an awkwardly sized, heavy item out for trash pickup one evening. It was a struggle that taxed me to the extreme. The next day I woke with a pain on the side of my left hip that improved a little but continues. Walking seems to alleviate it some. Bending and stooping remind me it’s there. I’ll be seeing my GP in a few weeks but thought I might get some insight from forum members.

higgins
11-07-2023, 04:52 PM
I haven't had shoulder work, but reduced recoil tolerance is once reason I started shooting cast bullet loads in a few center fire rifles. I also shoot .22s more than I used to.