PDA

View Full Version : car insurance

farmbif
10-18-2023, 11:50 AM
went to renew my policy and price increase just about floored me. a full 33 percent over what previous 6 months cost was. I went to the agency, Allstate
for some answers. i have perfect driving record and have not had any claims. coverage didn't change and its the same vehicle with more miles on it now so it is worth less. they didn't have any logical explanation. a bunch of babble about maybe we can get you a little discount if you put our apps on your cell phone so we can monitor your driving habits. I had been with Allstate for 30+ years. any type of loyalty programs they had are gone, out the window. I'm shopping around and will probably go with State Farm. I dont mind paying g a little extra to have a reputable first class insurance company just in case it might be needed.
has anyone else experienced huge increase in cost of insurance?

jsizemore
10-18-2023, 11:53 AM
Local Farm Bureau has the best rates and best service.

schutzen-jager
10-18-2023, 12:12 PM
no problems with State Farm with me - they give good discounts if you combine home owner + vehicule coverage -

lightman
10-18-2023, 12:42 PM

I have been really happy with Farm Bureau.

sigep1764
10-18-2023, 12:43 PM
Agree about State Farm. They insure 4 vehicles, the house, and the wife's ring. Rates have stayed low.

BLAHUT
10-18-2023, 01:00 PM
They are paying on all the losses from fires, floods, storms, you do not think they are going to cover all these losses; we are????

Winger Ed.
10-18-2023, 01:01 PM
As the prices of repairs and the replacement cost of newer/totaled cars keeps going up--
I seriously doubt if insurance premiums will go down.

In the old days, I didn't have a car. I had a Yamaha 650.
Times change, fortunes improve, I traded it in for a new 750.

Changing over my insurance, the yearly premium went down a very noticeable amount.
I asked the guy why. The 750 is newer, bigger, faster, and more expensive.

He told me, "We haven't had to buy very many of them".

rcslotcar
10-18-2023, 01:20 PM
I've had problems with Allstate in the past. Shop around and find a better company.

.429&H110
10-18-2023, 02:12 PM
I have paid to operate and insure cars in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
(and Alaska, Florida, lately in Arizona. Everybody has a different scheme to screw the public)
You can only hope you never need to get your money back.

I admire the Mass. system for vehicles and boats: (Boats?)
I am so old I remember when we invented "No Fault"!
You go to your town hall on the month of your birthday.
Clerk looks up your Blue Book value, you write a check for 7% to the town plus a fee.
Take your receipt to your insurance company, write them two more checks
one for them, one for the DMV
When your check clears, the girl takes today's pile to the DMV
Next day, pick up your plates at the insurance office.
This is a good system because it funds the local town hall, graft and payola all covered,
I never went to the DMV. I'm not even sure where it was.
Mass. inspects cars, stickers are expensive.
I bought a new Vandura 1976, was $4800 stripped van at the dealer.
Built me a white van, white naugahyde, plush chairs, rolling boombox, ya know, '70's
3 in the tree 350/quad, 2.11 rear end, ya one of those... engine seized at 100k.
Cost me over $2000 Sales Tax Town tax insurance first year.
Pipefitting paid well.

New Hampshire still has no compulsory insurance you are on your own.
They call it Financial Responsibility, you might buy a bond, or be wealthy.
Kids can run naked, and they do.
For me, I hired State Farm to cover my traffic wagers.

Small town New Hampshire:
On the month of your birthday you have to find the town clerk.
My birthday is in July, Jean had the month off for vacation, office closed,
so I had to track her down if she was in town, Jean was between
the grocery store and beauty parlor or gone fishing. C'mon, I got a job.
Find Jean at home some evening give her $100 cash, get a receipt.
Spend next morning at the DMV 40 miles away for maybe $30.
See if the old Toy will pass 32 point inspection. She never did. Rust finally totaled her, but she ran fine.
Insurance for the four cars was a couple hundred dollars, and be sure to get uninsured motorist!
Nobody with insurance ever hits anybody. We careful.
If insurance is not compulsory, the insurance company is not compelled to insure you.
You make a claim, get a point from speeding, miss a payment,
you are cancelled to go in the drunk pool of un-insurables and teenagers.
If nobody makes a claim insurance is cheap.
I foolishly claimed uninsured motorist when a kid destroyed one of my Tercels.
Tercel was sitting at a stop sign, Grand Am tore it into pieces nobody killed. Kids...
State Farm jacked me $1000 a year for three years. They paid on the Tercel $2k.
Wooda been cheaper to say a few words and just bury the old thing.

Arizona Allstate charges me $1200 a year for no coverage on three old cars.
Pima county does not inspect cars, but the Sheriff will when he stops you.
If I keep driving around here, I'm gonna get t-boned, they run red lights.
Car culture is not sustainable.
Re-elect nobody.

Handloader109
10-18-2023, 02:28 PM
I'll tell you that I'll go without insurance than to ever pay for allstate insurance again. Back in the 1990s, had a home and cars insured by them. No wrecks, but had two claims in about 2 years. Theft of a mower, and lightning strike that got a computer, phone and some minor damage to the house. Both were under $3k. After they paid the lightning damage, they dropped me in a minute. No explanation, just letter in the mail. Too many claims in a short period of time.
My current insurance company, Liberty Mutual, paid out $1800 on my old 2005 truck and $37,000 to replace roof and gutters from the same hail storm. Yep, went up about $1200 a year. It'll take them 20 years to break even. And I've still got coverage a year later.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Ithaca Gunner
10-18-2023, 03:38 PM
I spent nine years working at an auto body shop and from our perspective there were two insurance companies we DIDN'T want to do claims for, Allstate and Progressive. State Farm was gold at least in those days, (we were a Blue Ribbon shop for them). I've had them for about 20 years and no complaints, only one minor claim when the wife hit and broke a local farmer's fence post avoiding a deer, (hit the deer! is my advice. insurance covers it completely with no hike in rates, avoid the deer and hit something else and your rates go up! Aim right for the deer!) I would have paid out of pocket, but this nut-job wanted the entire fence replaced, (post and wire). He handed me an estimate for almost $2,000. I told him my insurance would get hold of him. He ended up with $63. and change for the one post and staples.

shooterg
10-18-2023, 04:22 PM
ALL of 'em will burn you if you stay with 'em. Shopping around every few years if you have a decent driving record will save you some bucks. Last time I changed, called the current agent to tell him I was canceling, he tried to get me to stay with him, would match my new (lower) rate . All that told me was they'd been robbing me for several years. Everything's going up, but still no reason to settle if you find a better deal.
in re above - used to run what we called "$50 tags" on my first Harley . Paid the state 50 bucks into tye uninsured motorist pool to ride it . Figured if I was at fault I'd be dead anyway - Young and dumb but had fun !

waksupi
10-18-2023, 04:26 PM
An agent I had years ago told me if the car is paid off, just carry liability. Take the money you spend on premiums, and put it in an interest bearing account. I don't know if that would still hold true today.

If you belong to AAA, talk to one of their agents. They look for the best deal from multiple companies, and can usually find a good bundled package for auto and home.

Winger Ed.
10-18-2023, 05:05 PM
An agent I had years ago told me if the car is paid off, just carry liability. Take the money you spend on premiums, and put it in an interest bearing account. I don't know if that would still hold true today. .

Depending on where you live, where & how much you drive, sure it does.
Take a look at how much the premium is for full coverage vs. just liability.

Then the value of the vehicle, and how long it would take paying the extra premium to more or less buy it (from yourself).

Insurance coverage costs are all about your risk to the company.
You can often chisel away at your premium by telling the agent you don't drive into, or work in a big city.
You have more than one vehicle, but don't drive the 2nd one much-- this is good for RVs, antiques & collector cars.
You are retired and don't go back & forth to a job.
To them, the less you drive, and not in places with high claims, the lower of a risk you are to them for filing a claim.

Half Dog
10-18-2023, 05:24 PM
I’ve had 2 claims in about 35 years and both times the other driver hit me. My rates went up about 30% too. I’m hot!!

Winger Ed.
10-18-2023, 05:58 PM
I’ve had 2 claims in about 35 years and both times the other driver hit me. My rates went up about 30% too. I’m hot!!

Some of that increase is just from living in Dallas or Tarrant county.

.429&H110
10-18-2023, 06:45 PM
My dad had a house in NH and a house in FL.
He kept the NH tags until he sold out of NH.
He sold his big old RV when he found out how much it would cost to run in FL.
FL insurance is a problem.

Jedman
10-18-2023, 06:59 PM
I change auto insurance companies on average of every 3 years. They ALL seem to hit you with a giant increase around the 2 1/2 -3 year mark so I start shopping and so far have always found at least a 15 - 20 % savings by changing companies.
The funny thing is I have had all of the major insurances over and over, State Farm, Allstate, Progressive,Liberty Diberty,and many others.
I about s- - t myself when I moved to MI from OH as insurance here is some of the highest in the country. BUT, I have found homeowners insurance to be rising at a faster rate than auto insurance.
What the heck hasn’t gone up in the past 3 years !

Jedman

andy h
10-18-2023, 07:08 PM
Over here in England one of the guy's on one of the shooting forums that I converse with has 2 Range rovers an older one 5 years old and a newer one 1 year old the problem he lives in London .
The older one went from £1890 a year to £1125 a month and the new one went straight from a supplied dealer insurance 1 year deal as part of purchase price to £38,000 a year for private insurance as they are the most stolen car in London.

Idaho45guy
10-18-2023, 08:07 PM
Over here in England one of the guy's on one of the shooting forums that I converse with has 2 Range rovers an older one 5 years old and a newer one 1 year old the problem he lives in London .
The older one went from £1890 a year to £1125 a month and the new one went straight from a supplied dealer insurance 1 year deal as part of purchase price to £38,000 a year for private insurance as they are the most stolen car in London.

Wow! I certainly won't be complaining about my $300 a month insurance for full coverage on 2 vehicles and 2 ATVs...

NyFirefighter357
10-18-2023, 08:40 PM
In reality the real issue is the cost of new & used cars the cost of repairs & the fact that most chassis damage on the new cars can't be repaired without interfering with the safety of the vehicle. Cars are much safer than years ago but because of this they also bend/give/tweak on impact. Lighter fuel efficient frame construction with built in safety measures. With all the air bag, sensors & integrated body structure the cost of repairing even a fairly new car in an accident that was bad enough to deploy the air bags or engage crumple zones is many times not worth repairing or not able to repair for safety reasons. Causing high payouts for insurance companies. The average new car cost is $50K & $65 for full sized pick up truck with the average cost of an EV costing in between.

MrWolf
10-19-2023, 10:33 AM
My Father just finished his leased vehicle (he is almost 85) and one of the grandkids gave him a 2008 Malibu. Got a bill. From Geico for about $35. Bill said basically a processing charge. I called to complain and after a bunch of holds and hmms I was told that the 15 year old car was more expensive to insure (with reduced coverage, etc) than his leased vehicle. Been looking at switching as I have Geico also (I still get my NJ retired discount). Prices are unbelievable to insure him. I may not be able to switch his coverage. I pay way more for his coverage than I do for my 2017 Colorado. Ridiculous.

Ithaca Gunner
10-19-2023, 11:27 AM
The agents and brokers that sell insurance don't really put this out and it varies state to state, however here in PA if someone were to hit your car/truck and has insurance like Allstate, Progressive, etc. that simply LOVE using cheap Chinese knock-off parts and you have a decent company like, USAA, State Farm, etc. bring up to either YOUR adjuster or agent that you want your car/truck repaired to USAA, State Farm, etc. specs using OEM parts. You shouldn't have to settle for someone else's ''discount'' insurance when you have good insurance. In such cases here, your good insurance would take over the repair responsibillity with the body shop and go after the discount insurance company for the difference. Don't let the likes of Allstate or Progressive use chinese parts on your car/truck.

Winger Ed.
10-19-2023, 11:55 AM
Prices are unbelievable to insure him. I may not be able to switch his coverage. I pay way more for his coverage than I do for my 2017 Colorado. Ridiculous.

Just like young drivers paying more in premiums than middle age drivers:
It's all about the insurance company's risk, and how many claims they have to pay for people in his age bracket.
If he's in a 2 door car, it'll be higher than a 4 door or a pick up in most places too.

In some places, it's big bucks to insure something like a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, or a 'sports' car.
Insurance companies often list them as a 'roadster' and consider them high risk.

In the old days, my Dad sold commercial insurance for fleets of trucks, workman's compensation for factories, etc.
One client was going to buy an insurance package with premiums of over $100,000. a year.
One condition was they also insure the client's 20 year old son with his new Corvette.
Tying that condition in with the policy on a large fleet of 18 wheeler trucks
was the only way he could get insurance for the kid.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-19-2023, 11:58 AM
I go through Geico...no local agent.
When my rates increased about 30% last May, I called the 800 number and a lady with a thick accent put me on with her boss...He said "inflation"

Ithaca Gunner
10-19-2023, 05:11 PM
I go through Geico...no local agent.
When my rates increased about 30% last May, I called the 800 number and a lady with a thick accent put me on with her boss...He said "inflation"

There's a lot of that going around lately.

Bmi48219
10-20-2023, 08:50 AM
….If you belong to AAA, talk to one of their agents. They look for the best deal from multiple companies, and can usually find a good bundled package for auto and home.

I’ve been with AAA for 40+ years. Until recently they didn’t offer auto insurance under their own brand in Fl, but they did sell other companies’ insurance. Our auto policy also went up 10% last year and another 33% this year. I understand newer autos are more expensive and more costly to repair. Neither of us have had a ticket or accident in four decades. We do carry a supplemental blanket liability policy which requires us to maintain 500K liability on our auto policy and 300K liability on HO.
I shop around for auto & HO insurance every year.. As much as I’m irritated with AAA, no other company comes close to their price for auto insurance.
We’ve had two of our HO insurance companies bailout of Fl. I’ve had quotes from AAA for HO. They are always 60% higher than the rest of the gougers.

Idaho45guy
10-21-2023, 04:26 AM
The agents and brokers that sell insurance don't really put this out and it varies state to state, however here in PA if someone were to hit your car/truck and has insurance like Allstate, Progressive, etc. that simply LOVE using cheap Chinese knock-off parts and you have a decent company like, USAA, State Farm, etc. bring up to either YOUR adjuster or agent that you want your car/truck repaired to USAA, State Farm, etc. specs using OEM parts. You shouldn't have to settle for someone else's ''discount'' insurance when you have good insurance. In such cases here, your good insurance would take over the repair responsibillity with the body shop and go after the discount insurance company for the difference. Don't let the likes of Allstate or Progressive use chinese parts on your car/truck.

I worked for USAA for 6 years as an auto claims adjuster, and unless something has changed, USAA will only authorize the use of new OEM parts on vehicles 2 yrs old or newer. If your vehicle is older, you get either used OEM parts or aftermarket parts. Geico was 1 year old or newer. But that was ten years ago.

Just looked it up on the USAA website and they now only authorize new OEM parts for current model year vehicles. They don't even mention used OEM parts...

https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/auto-insurance-claims-faq-policy-holder-repairs?akredirect=true

Will new original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, parts be used for my vehicle repairs?

We may include new OEM parts in your estimate for repairs to current model year or newer vehicles.

For older vehicles, your estimate will typically include quality replacement parts from other manufacturers or distributors. If you choose OEM parts, you'll be responsible for any cost differences in most states. We comply with all applicable state and federal laws when completing your repair estimate.

Bmi48219
10-21-2023, 01:59 PM
There’s a reason why the biggest buildings in America are owned by Insurance Corporations.

Brokenbear
10-21-2023, 03:56 PM
Hartford thru AARP (I don't like AARP either so save it) and paying $1800 a year for a Toyota Highlander and a GMC Terrain and a $1,000,000 umbrella policy
Same deal on Medicare supplement NON ADVANTAGE PLAN ...$478/mo/me and wife ...ZERO out of pocket use any Doc/Hospital that takes Medicare ..Advantage plan from ANYBODY are a financial liability/time bomb ..they limit who can administer medicine to you and REQUIRES the insurance company's authorization for everything that means anything ..
So I take the AARP junk mail to the trash as I come from the mail box :lol:and bank the savings

Bear

farmbif
10-21-2023, 04:10 PM
Bmi notices the same thing I do.

https://www.suredividend.com/best-insurance-stocks/

10x
10-21-2023, 06:40 PM
snip.

Arizona Allstate charges me $1200 a year for no coverage on three old cars.
Pima county does not inspect cars, but the Sheriff will when he stops you.
If I keep driving around here, I'm gonna get t-boned, they run red lights.
Car culture is not sustainable.
Re-elect nobody.3

The red light has to be really sincere here, and so does the green before you head into the intersection.

MaryB
10-21-2023, 10:18 PM
Stat Farm raised rates 10%... time to look around for a deal... My car is a 2017 BUT very low mileage(23k) so I carry full coverage... some say that is foolish... I am not paying the repair costs if some uninsured reject hits me!

Baltimoreed
10-21-2023, 10:31 PM
Car and homeowners insurance are nothing but ponsi schemes. In the event of a major disaster like Andrew was in Florida the guys in front of the claims line got a payout but the guys at the other end got squat. Why, the insurance companies ran out of money. How could that happen? Because they’re crooks. Did anyone go to prison for fraud. Don’t think so.

Driver man
10-22-2023, 04:31 AM
Insurance companies are all thieves until you need them.

MrWolf
10-22-2023, 09:19 AM
Stat Farm raised rates 10%... time to look around for a deal... My car is a 2017 BUT very low mileage(23k) so I carry full coverage... some say that is foolish... I am not paying the repair costs if some uninsured reject hits me!

My truck is a 2017 with less than 50K. Most of that was after I first got her and could still drive back to Jersey moving, etc before the pain got to bad. I still carry the same insurance as you do.

Bmi48219
10-23-2023, 12:12 PM
Hartford thru AARP (I don't like AARP either so save it) and paying $1800 a year for a Toyota Highlander and a GMC Terrain and a $1,000,000 umbrella policy………

I just logged on to AARP to get a Hartford auto policy quote. It came back at $1,800 for 6 months, with 500 K liability. Neither of us has had an accident or moving violation for over 40 years. One 2022 vehicle is driven 10,000 miles / year. The other less than 2,000 miles a year.
Must have something to do with where you live.

Winger Ed.
10-23-2023, 12:37 PM
For big disasters, insurance companies have insurance on themselves in layers.

If one company has HUGE payouts, they pay the first 'so much', then another one will pay 'from so much,
to another amount', and so on. That's how they never go broke.

If they claim they ran out of money--- it's a lie.
There's an old joke about them: 'How do you know you're about to get ripped off by an insurance company'?
The agent will say, "Trust me".

.429&H110
10-23-2023, 07:59 PM
I have a 1995 Avalon I bought new, 285k on her, runs fine.
I am keeping her for when she turns 30, she can be imported into Mexico.
(with South Dakota plates, a fine scam)
The HOA says we have to have plates, so she has to have insurance.
Allstate says I can get a break if put a box in her to report her driving habits,
that she really didn't go anywhere. Trouble is, that car wants to go fast.
Oh, well. Her insurance costs more than the Buick because the Avalon
has a real steel bumper, will do more damage than a Buick styrofoam bumper.

firefly1957
10-24-2023, 07:59 AM
If for any reason your credit rating dropped your insurance company can raise your rates .
In 2015 I bought my Silverado I took a short term loan and the next house insurance policy doubled ! They gave me the stupid answer it was because of the truck loan and I pot a third down! I called around and ended up going with Auto Owners I am in Michigan) and bundling everything with a large savings House home two newer cars and inboard 20 foot boat was what old house insurance wanted with the new bill! I forget what they called that insurance company it started as GMAC then got bought sold a few times with the GM collapse under Obama .

Allstate I had Allstate insurance from 1975 until 1986 then they really raised my rates . The reason they gave was my old agent died and the new agent thought i was high risk because of a single speeding ticket for 5 mph over (actual 15 over) on a highway 70 in a 55 zone . Along with the fact I drove 50 miles each way to work.
I went to Auto Owners for cars only a month later a drunk hit me no injuries but a lot of damage to the car . The cop told me the guy had done the same a month before at the same intersection cuffed him and put him in the police car. My Auto owners insurance company told me I was at fault ! I called my agent told him what happened and gave him name of officer and the drunk driver and he looked into it and my rate did not go up . Turns out the officer was related to the unlicensed drunk and went out of his jurisdiction to the call keeping the county deputies or state police away.
When we bought this house in 2004 we asked Auto Owners price to insure but as a second home they would not cover it however now we live here full time so we got a good rate .

Bmi48219
10-25-2023, 11:48 AM
There was a time (the 70s & 80s) when AAA Michigan let you switch your full coverage auto insurance to storage coverage, thus saving a big chunk of the premium. I would store my fun vehicle for the winter and it was covered only for fire and theft. Just had to call them and tell them to change it to storage coverage. If I wanted to drive it, I just had to notify them first and they’d change the vehicle back to full coverage whenever and as often as I wanted. that auto was plated year-round but only driven from May through October. When we bought our first Florida part-time residence I wanted to have a vehicle available in the garage for our visits. Florida insurance companies said I had to maintain full coverage.
They have you beat coming or going.

Idaho45guy
10-25-2023, 02:38 PM
There was a time (the 70s & 80s) when AAA Michigan let you switch your full coverage auto insurance to storage coverage, thus saving a big chunk of the premium. I would store my fun vehicle for the winter and it was covered only for fire and theft. Just had to call them and tell them to change it to storage coverage. If I wanted to drive it, I just had to notify them first and they’d change the vehicle back to full coverage whenever and as often as I wanted. that auto was plated year-round but only driven from May through October. When we bought our first Florida part-time residence I wanted to have a vehicle available in the garage for our visits. Florida insurance companies said I had to maintain full coverage.
They have you beat coming or going.

That doesn't sound right. I worked for USAA for 6 years and when someone deployed overseas, it was very common to just have the bare minimum of insurance on a vehicle while it was in storage.

https://www.progressive.com/answers/temporarily-suspend-car-insurance/

Check with your insurer to see what coverages you can remove. Both comprehensive and collision insurance are optional in every state. You can cut out these coverages while still keeping the basic liability requirement as part of your policy, as long as you don't have a car loan or lease. In addition to liability, some states also require personal injury protection (PIP) or protection against uninsured motorists (UM/UIM). You may also need to keep those on your policy to avoid a lapse in coverage.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-25-2023, 03:16 PM
Over about 60 years of driving I've had Allstate three different times. It was never a good experience.

DG

colt45sa
10-25-2023, 03:40 PM
I'm 80 years old, a widower, and am in great physical shape, mentally sharp, retired and only drive about 50 miles a week. I'm a responsible person with no accidents in the last 51 years and only one traffic violation 26 years ago. My auto insurance costs me $1.06 per driving mile and that's just a little bit excessive.
I also own two cars, but like the rest of you can only drive one at a time, yet the insurance company charges me for liability on each car. Is that fair since they only experience exposure when I'm driving the car I choose to drive on any particular day.

braddock
10-25-2023, 04:59 PM
This is a really interesting thread, don't have your problems here in the UK, insurance premiums been dropping for years. In the 70s I ran two Lotus elans, one for me one for wife they cost about £600 each to insure, now I have two mercedes, one slk, one wagon and a mini cooper s and pay less than £600 for all three.
Thing was back in the 70s £600 went a helluva lot further than £600 today what has gone up is the car tax nearly £1000 for the three where it was barely £30 in the 70s. Gas has been taxed through the roof too.
Sold off the mini and the wagon so back down to one car, £170 insurance, £400 tax. The car tax is calculated on the emissions the manufacturer homologates the car at manufacture, so the mini produces a low level, the V engine on the SLK produces a lot. We also have to get the car safety and emissions checked annually.
From what I've seen on Youtube car repairs are far more reasonable over here but a helluva lot of cars get written off for relatively light damage over here, especially cars over 4 years of age or so.
Like I said, very interesting thread, hope you don't object to me sliding my 0.02 cents in.

35isit
10-25-2023, 05:18 PM

Just my experience! I wouldn't let Farm Bureau insure a tricycle. I'll drive without before buying from them.

Bmi48219
10-25-2023, 09:58 PM
That doesn't sound right…..

Me either. To have a vehicle in storage, comprehensive fire and theft should be good enough. Liability, collision, uninsured motorists etc. shouldn’t matter as it isn’t on the road. Yet I’ve had two different companies tell me the same thing.

Winger Ed.
10-25-2023, 10:03 PM
Insurance companies are regulated to one degree or another in different states.
Certain insurance coverage could be a state requirement for you to keep, or renew your license plates on the car.

Kestrel4k
10-31-2023, 04:30 PM
My 6 month premiums are holding steady at $159. Has been $160-$165 for more than 5 years now.
In the distant past their bill was around $190 - that was about 10 years ago. GEICO, certainly no complaints here.

But I've always been 'amused' :-/ that we have to buy "Car Insurance" as if each of our cars is running around on its own - the Ins. Co's certainly wouldn't want to have to limit themselves to only the 233M drivers in the US, lol.

bobthenailer
11-01-2023, 03:01 PM
I just switched from allstate to AAA home & car insurance ,with 2 cars saved almost $800 with AAA

snowwolfe
11-02-2023, 11:02 PM
One of the biggest rip off in the insurance world is paying for under and uninsured coverage.
If you have collision on your vehicle and have good medical coverage and are retired the coverage pays for nothing you don’t already have covered.

brassrat
11-11-2023, 04:50 AM
Great thread. I remembered 'Farmers' which might have been 'Farm Bureau' and stopped. The guy hooked me up with another guy, with Flo. My old Co.just dropped, $100 more, than I just paid, back to me and I am covered for 6 mos.[smilie=w:

Idaho45guy
11-11-2023, 05:49 AM
This thread caused me to get a quote from USAA. I was paying over $300 a month for one nice vehicle with full coverage and one junker with liability only. USAA quoted me $160 for the same coverage. Switched over. Nice bit of savings.

MT Gianni
11-12-2023, 09:06 PM
Costco's auto insurance program saves us $500 a year. Executive membership is $120. We use our card and pay it off every month. Last years rebates were over $1000.

Gray Fox
11-12-2023, 10:01 PM
My wife and I were both Army officers and I've had USAA for going on 50 years now. They've been real straight with us, but their AI-driven homeowners insurance coverage requirement forces me to insure this place for about $100,000 more than I know I can replace if for. They won't budge on it.

Idaho45guy
11-13-2023, 12:08 AM
My wife and I were both Army officers and I've had USAA for going on 50 years now. They've been real straight with us, but their AI-driven homeowners insurance coverage requirement forces me to insure this place for about $100,000 more than I know I can replace if for. They won't budge on it.

My late father had USAA auto insurance. I worked for USAA for about 6 year as an Auto Claims Adjuster from 2006-2012. When his SUV wouldn't start in his driveway, he was going to pay out of pocket for a tow to a shop in town.

I told him he might have Roadside Assistance coverage and I would call them and get it taken care of since I started my career with USAA in the IRU (Initial Response Unit). We took all of the calls involving auto claims and roadside assistance, as well as property claims. We prided ourselves on providing the highest quality of customer service in the industry. I thought it would be fun to call in a claim to my former team.

Apparently, USAA got rid of the IRU. Roadside assistance was now farmed out to a third party company called Agero. It took me 3 hours of battling their system and "representatives" before I finally gave up and just had a local tow company come get the vehicle.

I messaged USAA and said that they had seriously dropped the ball by getting rid of the IRU and going with Agero, who were obviously incompetent and useless. I had a mid-level executive contact me and my father and apologize and reimburse our expenses.

No idea if they still use them. But I had to use Progressive for Roadside Assistance last week and it steered me to an automated system that was useless as well.