PDA

View Full Version : Be careful about trying to trick the Mrs.

Winger Ed.
10-17-2023, 01:04 PM
A youtube video popped up in my feed of them the other day.

It was a cctv at the counter in a gun store. A lady came in and put two cases on the counter.
She said her husband had bought them and some other guns as an investment,
and now she needed to sell them.

The first was a tricked out AR. She said her husband told her he'd paid $300. for it and she hoped to get $200.
The store guy said, "No problem".

Then she opened a pistol case and laid out a real hot rod, race gun, semi-auto.
She said her husband told her he'd paid $200. for it, and she was hoping to get about $100.

The gun store guy looked at it and said, "Ma'am,,,, that's a $1200. pistol".

She thought about it a few seconds and said,,,, "I'm going to kill him".

bimus
10-17-2023, 04:03 PM
I worked with a man that saved new work gloves in a duffle bag and he also hid a few bucks for him self in one of the gloves one day it snowed and the kids needed gloves so hie wife remembered the duffle bag .
Later that night when my friend got home his wife asked if he had lost any money he thought about the question and said no a few days later he see's the gloves on the back porch and realized he was out about $800 bucks

Winger Ed.
10-17-2023, 04:20 PM
A friend of a friend was a Dallas Police Officer.
He kept the stash of his 'hide out money' rolled up and put inside the barrel of his service revolver.
In about 15 years of duty on the force, he'd never even drawn his weapon,,,,,,, until that one night....

Bmi48219
10-17-2023, 04:33 PM
Ages ago we were pretty tight for money. I gave the wife my check every week after keep $40 or $50 for incidental expenses. The following Friday I’d put any money I had left over into an inside pocket of a new flame retardant red jacket that was decorated with American flags and such to commemorate an annual fundraiser event. The money came in handy twice a year because the wife’s birthday was in December.
One Friday evening I went to put three tens into the pocket and the jacket was gone. The wife played dumb for a while before admitting she needed one one item to take to the consignment store in town. Seeing I never wore the jacket she took it to the store.
Of course she didn’t check the pockets. I went to the store the next morning and there it was, minus the money and the manager said they hadn’t found it.
Christmas that year was disappointing for the wife.

MT Gianni
10-17-2023, 04:45 PM
A co-worker claimed if you put your wallet under a pair of brown stained underwear, your wife would never touch it.

HWooldridge
10-17-2023, 04:49 PM
One of my great aunts lived in the country by herself after her husband died and kept some paper money in the left side of her double barrel shotgun (no shell chambered). Her son came home for Thanksgiving and grabbed the gun to go turkey hunting. He dropped two shells in the gun and saw some turkeys, so he let loose. It wasn't a huge amount of money by today's standards, but this was late 1960's and meant a lot to her. I recall he eventually paid her back and asked if the stash could be moved to the pie safe...

Winger Ed.
10-17-2023, 05:17 PM
My Grandfather told a story by one of his friends who had bought a used pair of shoes at a thrift store.
Inside it, way at the front was a $50.oo bill tightly folded up. Back in the late 1950s --- that was a lot of money.

MUSTANG
10-17-2023, 06:39 PM
Every spring as I put away the Fall and Winter coats into storage; I go through the pockets of my Wife's coats, sweaters, etc.. Usually find enough to pay for a nice evening out with her. She shoves it into a pocket when she gets change and forgets about it.

Hannibal
10-17-2023, 06:42 PM
I saw that video.

So the woman declared to the store owner that she wanted to sell a pair of firearms that weren't hers.....

Interesting.

Winger Ed.
10-17-2023, 06:54 PM
I saw that video.

So the woman declared to the store owner that she wanted to sell a pair of firearms that weren't hers..... Interesting.

It's another case of 'make your best deal':
Some wives believe all her stuff is hers. And all the husbands stuff is hers too.

Hannibal
10-17-2023, 07:08 PM
My thinking was how does the gun store go about even making an offer on stuff like that?

Divorce proceedings? Sister? Stolen goods?

Not a can of worms I'd care to open.

Obviously it's YouTube and likely just 'click bait' anyway. Just thinking aloud.

imashooter2
10-17-2023, 07:21 PM
Going through my grandmother’s estate there was money secreted everywhere. In books, under lamps, on shelves, folded in linens and clothes, and my favorite, wrapped and put in the holes of thread spools in her sewing chest.

You couldn’t throw away anything until you tore it apart.

Winger Ed.
10-17-2023, 07:46 PM
You couldn’t throw away anything until you tore it apart.

My Mom's house/estate was like that.
Jewelry and cash was in coat pockets, in between towels, in the pages of books.

We had to go through the house like they would with a search warrant.

.429&H110
10-17-2023, 07:51 PM
I still keep a fund in my King James, one to a page in the Minor Prophets.
My wife is an ESV reader, says KJV is too hard.
She has a Trump million dollar bill for a bookmark in her ESV, maybe will be the new currency soon.

elmacgyver0
10-17-2023, 07:56 PM
One of my great aunts lived in the country by herself after her husband died and kept some paper money in the left side of her double barrel shotgun (no shell chambered). Her son came home for Thanksgiving and grabbed the gun to go turkey hunting. He dropped two shells in the gun and saw some turkeys, so he let loose. It wasn't a huge amount of money by today's standards, but this was late 1960's and meant a lot to her. I recall he eventually paid her back and asked if the stash could be moved to the pie safe...

Not the brightest shotgunner in the world, I take it.

fiberoptik
10-17-2023, 09:13 PM
What ever happened to check the bore first???

Bmi48219
10-17-2023, 11:04 PM
A co-worker claimed if you put your wallet under a pair of brown stained underwear, your wife would never touch it.

Some wives would throw out the whole drawer.

Sig
10-18-2023, 06:56 AM
A friend had his boat shrink wrapped & left money for the guy in his outdoor gas grill. Well the guy never removed the money & my buddy ate a very expensive burger that night.

georgerkahn
10-18-2023, 07:32 AM
Having a bum leg -- I needed but one cane, then -- I went to an auction. There was a bevy of stuffed chairs along the back wall, and I took a seat. About ten to fifteen minutes after the sale began the auctioneer pointed to me, and quite loudly voiced to the 100 or so people there "the nerve" I had to just sit in the chair as if I owned it. He added that, in a bit all in that entire row would be auctioned and if I found the chair I was in comfortable, to bid on it.
I was a tad (a tad?) embarrassed... BUT, with my bum leg I needed use my arms to get out of the chair and lo and behold, to the right of the cushion, waaaay down, was a rubber-banded roll of U S money!
An ethical question came to my mind which was overshadowed by "karma :)". It was an even one hundred dollars!

John Guedry
10-18-2023, 08:02 AM
The only "hidden" money I ever found was a pair of$2 bills in a library book.

contender1
10-18-2023, 09:54 AM
"Some wives believe all her stuff is hers. And all the husbands stuff is hers too."

Obviously you've never heard of the "50%-100% rule."

Women own 50% of the property, and 100% of the ah-hem,, little stuff we men get in trouble over. Women will take the 50% and use the 100% stuff to get the other 50%.

Luckily,, my wife & I are honest with each other. She has her stuff, and I have mine. We do not give each other any grief over what we enjoy. She is also a great "gun girl." She has guns of her own, and knows all about the ones I own. And she knows values & such. Plus,, we never hide money or such. We each have a safe,, and in each safe is our "extra" cash. If something happens to either one of us,, or even both of us,, we all know how to access the safe(s).

HWooldridge
10-18-2023, 09:59 AM
Neither was hidden, but I've picked up a hundred-dollar bill on two occasions at local Walmarts. In both cases, I was there after 8 pm in the grocery section, and saw something on the floor. I didn't immediately notice the denomination but picked up the money and looked around to see if anyone was going down the aisle. Both times, the area was deserted - so it was "finders-keepers" at that point.

I think a lot of local folks use cash, because they go to a payday outlet and get their money immediately for a fee. They stick the wad in their pocket and wind up pulling out bill(s) inadvertently when their cell phone buzzes.

MrWolf
10-18-2023, 10:31 AM
My Grandfather told a story by one of his friends who had bought a used pair of shoes at a thrift store.
Inside it, way at the front was a $50.oo bill tightly folded up. Back in the late 1950s --- that was a lot of money.

My Mom, before the Altzheimers got to bad, would put money in her shoes for safe keeping. She grew up very poor. My ex saw her walking funny one day and asked to see her shoes. We kept telling my Mother she would never have to worry about not having money, we would always be there.

lightman
10-18-2023, 12:52 PM
My Wife and I have never had secrets from each other. I've never had to ask before I bought a gun and have never been fussed at about buying a gun. Or lied about the price. On the other hand, I bought an airplane once without discussing it before hand and She ask me if I had lost my blank blank blank mind!

farmbif
10-18-2023, 01:02 PM
aint no excuse or reason to be lying to the better half. my view is if your woman is one you have to lie to and keep secrets from she is probably not a true partner. if you cant trust and be honest with your better half who can you trust? if I was in such a situation I would be shopping around for a new better half. but thats just me everyone has a different situation.

popper
10-18-2023, 01:03 PM
Service men in foreign countries were told to keep $ in shoe, not in wallet, due to pickpockets.

Targa
10-18-2023, 01:19 PM

It was a cctv at the counter in a gun store. A lady came in and put two cases on the counter.

The first was a tricked out AR. She said her husband told her he'd paid $300. for it and she hoped to get $200.

She said her husband told her he'd paid $200. for it, and she was hoping to get about $100.

:lol: That was good!

Der Gebirgsjager
10-18-2023, 03:22 PM
Some wives have little interest or understanding in and about guns. Mine can't tell a rifle from a shotgun, let alone what model or caliber it might be. But I learned early on that she can count. "You left for the gun show with 4 guns and came home with 5?"

DG

shooterg
10-18-2023, 04:34 PM
Bought a blender at WallyWorld when ours bit the dust many years ago. Opened it at home, inside was a card congratulating a couple(1st names only) on the wedding with a 100 dollar bill . If they'd just opened it instead of immediately taking it back for refund/store credit...? No last names for them or sender so no way to look 'em up - guess he never got a thank you from them but if he happens to read this - Thank You !

gwpercle
10-18-2023, 04:54 PM
There is only one time when you are allowed to Lie to your wife ...

When she puts on something new , shows it to you and asks ...
..." Does this make my butt look big ? " ... Then , you can lie to her !

The Correct answer is ... "Hell No Sweetie , that makes all of you look beautiful !"
Gary

God will forgive you for it ... otherwise never lie to your wife .

Winger Ed.
10-18-2023, 05:09 PM
Had a buddy come visit one time with a picture perfect black eye.
Naturally I asked about it, expecting some sort of "You should see the other guy"....

Nope. He was hanging out with his girl friend when she said, "Look,,, I've lost almost 10 pounds".
He looked over her shoulder & down, then said, "I found 'em"!

txbirdman
10-18-2023, 07:02 PM

The Correct answer is ... "Hell No Sweetie , that makes all of you look beautiful !"
Gary

That’s because your wife wants “affirmation” not the “truth”

gwpercle
10-19-2023, 04:47 PM
Had a buddy come visit one time with a picture perfect black eye.
Naturally I asked about it, expecting some sort of "You should see the other guy"....

Nope. He was hanging out with his girl friend when she said, "Look,,, I've lost almost 10 pounds".
He looked over her shoulder & down, then said, "I found 'em"!

:goodpost:
Now That's Funny !
Gary

armoredman
10-19-2023, 05:44 PM
Sheesh, I bought a gun in front of my wife yesterday, total bill and all. As long as the bills are paid, she doesn't care, as my money is mine and her money is hers. I also took her out to eat that might. ;)
I concur that it sounds not QUITE legal for the wife to be selling the husband's guns IF he is still alive, unless they came from a divorce or were gifted to her. The only thing that kept my ex from selling my guns while I was at work was that she refused to drive.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-20-2023, 08:31 AM
My wife has instructions to get values from a knowledgeable friend if I get hit by a bus.

fixit
10-20-2023, 09:08 AM

Gary

The first time my sweety asked me that question (we've been married 39 years, so this was a looong time ago!) I called her out on the fact that it was a trick question, and to never ask that question unless you want an honest assessment.....we've gotten along great in that area ever since!

fixit
10-20-2023, 09:13 AM
My wife knows I have a "stash"....she knows it is money that has been secreted away in a manner that doesn't affect the family budget (if it has been in my pocket, it is to be considered spent). The policy is don't ask, and we won't have any issues. Works well, but I think my wife is jealous of my ability to save!

Winger Ed.
10-20-2023, 12:28 PM
I may be one of the luckiest humans you guys have ever met.

When Mrs. Winger & I got married, the subject of me having multiple weapons came up.
She said, "I want my own".

When we got married we went to Las Vegas. She said she'd never been, and wanted to do some gambling there.
She was making big bucks at the time, and I said, "Sure. Me too".

Then she got all serious looking and said, "I know we'll lose it, but I'm thinking we can just blow $40."

She hasn't ever said anything about my spending, but if ya look up 'tight wad' in an old dictionary--
there's a little pen & ink picture of her.

Wag
10-21-2023, 10:46 AM
My late wife and I had a couple of rules: I was to stay the hell out of the laundry room and If she found money in a pocket while doing the laundry, it was hers. I think I managed to "accidentally" forget to take a few $20's out of my pockets. She always loved the win!

I don't buy stuff without letting my wife know. She's as great as the late wife was: as long as the rest of the bills are paid, we're good.

--Wag--

10x
10-21-2023, 06:51 PM

I have yet to see a gun dealer give a reasonable price on any gun bought in for sale or trade.
I have watched as a guy brought his deceased dads 335 Marlin in pristine condition into the store to sell.
He asked the dealer the price, reply "We got a lot of those in stock right now $75 - take it or leave it, then the dealer walked to the back and in a few minutes brought out 2 priced at $100 each and said "this is what they are going for. "
On the spot I said "I'll take both of them and put 2 C notes on the counter. The guy said i could his gun for $100 too. The dealer was livid, I got 3 marlins for $100 each, and when I got outside the shop i gave the guy another $250 for his dad's gun. Next time I went into that shop, the owner told me to leave.

Milky Duck
10-21-2023, 08:00 PM

Gary

wise man you are indeed...

Kestrel4k
10-31-2023, 04:59 PM
I have yet to see a gun dealer give a reasonable price on any gun bought in for sale or trade.
I have watched as a guy brought his deceased dads 335 Marlin in pristine condition into the store to sell.
He asked the dealer the price, reply "We got a lot of those in stock right now $75 - take it or leave it, then the dealer walked to the back and in a few minutes brought out 2 priced at $100 each and said "this is what they are going for. "
On the spot I said "I'll take both of them and put 2 C notes on the counter. The guy said i could his gun for $100 too. The dealer was livid, I got 3 marlins for $100 each, and when I got outside the shop i gave the guy another $250 for his dad's gun. Next time I went into that shop, the owner told me to leave.
Good for you - live by the sword die by the sword. :-)