PDA

View Full Version : 56-50 Spencer

NickSS
02-14-2009, 01:21 AM
I just visited Buffalo Arms to see where it was as I was in the neighborhood. Well a Spencer lever action carbine, brass and dies followed me home from there. The only data I have is the old rimfire load of a 350 gr bullet and 45 gr of Black powder. So I proceeded to get my brass ready to load. The first thing I found was that 45 gr of FFG filled the case to overflowing. So I cut back to what looked like a good compressed load for FFG GOEX. I got 38 gr of powder with a good 0.3 inch compression with a 370 gr RAPINE flat nosed cast slug sized .512 into the case. Overall length looked good and fed through the magazine tube.

The instructions that came with the rifle says that you must open and close the rifle vigorously for best results. They know what they are talking about. The extractor/ejector works with velocity not spring loaded presser. It hooks the case and pulls it from the chamber. To get it to eject you must move the lever to the open position vigorously Then the shell kind of comes out the back of the action and falls to the side. Any hesitation and you got to pluck it out by hand. This is not bad as the brass costs $1.00 per round so you do not want it flying all over anyway. Closing the action feeds the next round. it is best to snap it shut and then the feeding is as smooth as silk but if you close it slowly it hangs up and is difficult to close.

The first range session was fun but the sights are well lined up but the 100 yard setting shoots my loads a good foot low and the 200 yard setting shoots about a foot high. At that I managed to get several from each 10 shot group in the black of a 25 yard pistol target at 100 yards using Kentucky windage.

I want to reload with some smokeless next time and would like to know if anyone has data for a load using AA 5744 powder?

Bret4207
02-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Cool! Being brought up on the Louis Lamour westerns I always wanted a 56 Spencer, just like Cap Rountree used. I'm not a bit ashamed to say I'm jealous! Please let us know how this works out.

BTW- You need to provide PICTURES!!!!

Tom Herman
02-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Hi Nick,

Thanks for posting on the .56 Spencer! If I had the $$$, I would love to add one to my collection and begin loading for it.
Right now, it's regrettably not an option.
I hope you continue to have fun with it, and perfect a smokeless load for it.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

NickSS
02-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Well I emailed Accurate arms for loading data and they recommended 18 gr starting load for around 950 to 1050 fps with my 370 gr bullet with a max load of 21 gr of 5744 for around 1150 fps from a 20 inch barrel. I think I will load up some rounds with different powder charges to see which gives me the best accuracy.

Bent Ramrod
02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
There's a Spencer Shooting Society web site and the people there might have smokeless loadings for the caliber.