PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Recoil Table: Updated for 2023 with all popular cartridges

trapper9260
10-16-2023, 05:50 AM
I do not know where to post this, I know it been asked about in some other post thinking some might like to see this . Please move this to where it needs to be if it is not where it need to be. Thank you
https://backfire.tv/recoil/

Texas by God
10-16-2023, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the link.
30-06 and 8x57 in lightweight rifles are my “Kickers” at age 65- I don’t need anything stronger!

Der Gebirgsjager
10-16-2023, 09:47 AM
This is a real wealth of information! I wish it was available in a book or pamphlet form. I have seen this information piecemeal here and there over the years, but not all together and as comprehensive as this presentation. There are some interesting facts to be had in reading it over. It would appear that if you could hit a deer at 500 yds. with a .30-30 (how many do this?) it would have adequate power to make the kill. Something that doesn't seem figured into the recoil figures is rifle and stock design, such as a .30-06 fired from a gas operated rifle (M1, as an example) vs. a bolt action or single shot. I've always found the M1 to deliver less felt recoil than one of my bolt action sporters, but this is not criticism as to approach this information from all angles would result in a book. Thanks for posting this, and it should probably be made into a "sticky".

DG

TurnipEaterDown
10-16-2023, 12:10 PM
Using certain common assumptions applicable to fixed mechanism guns (bolt, lever, break open, revolver, etc.):

Velocity during recoil (gun) in feet per second (fps)
=(((Weight (projectile, grains)*Velocity (projectile, fps))+(Weight (powder charge, grains)*5200))/7000)/gun Weight (lb)

Recoil energy
=(gun Weight (lb)*Velocity during recoil (gun, fps)^2)/(32.2*2)

And absolutely: Stock design affects felt recoil, and muzzle blast (volume, exist pressure, resultant "loudness" or decibels) also compounds things for most people. It's all part of the perception, but not the physics.
Certain mechanisms can actually affect the recoil numbers (muzzle brake for example), or the time duration in which the energy is applied to the body (pads, mercury recoil reducers) and thereby decrease the acceleration rate of the body parts being impacted. The total energy however isn't affected by pads and mercury tubes.
Of course, the biggest part is mental preparation. The 22-250 is too much for some people.

I have met a few people that state that they enjoy recoil. It has always been an unfounded boast in my experience.

It is accurate though to say that people can train themselves effectively to manage recoil physically and mentally, and be unaffected by it long term, up to their individual tolerance. That tolerance can certainly vary from the diminutive cartridges to things like the 50 BMG.

frkelly74
10-16-2023, 02:41 PM
Physics being physics , If a 30-06 round is fired from an M1 or alternatively from a bolt rifle the energy delivered would be the same given that the firearms have the same weight. The fact that the recoil is delivered in a longer pulse from the M1 will make it seem softer. Same with an 1100 Remington vs an 870 Remington.

Larry Gibson
10-16-2023, 03:15 PM
I thought it odd the heaviest recoiling cartridge, on that list, at 80.17 free recoil was tucked way down on the list between the 280 AI and the 280 Rem.

TurnipEaterDown
10-16-2023, 04:52 PM
Didn't even glance through the list until now. Disappointing the discussion left out handguns.

When the formulas are run on handguns 44 and up it rapidly explains why most people in truth do not care to shoot them, or when they do - shoot them very little, and why bargains can be had on nice guns that are chambered for these.

Some revolver loads I have used years ago fairly routinely ran bigger numbers than some 416s.
Haven't used some of those since I was in my mid 40s.