PDA

View Full Version : Estes Energetics Restarts Shipment of GOEX Black Powder

muskeg13
10-15-2023, 08:23 PM
Many have been waiting for this. Has anyone seen it available retail yet, or are the first shipments going to defense contractors for military munitions? If anyone has gotten any, how does it compare with the old GOEX?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/estes-energetics-restarts-shipment-goex-110000581.html

Deadeye Bly
10-15-2023, 08:32 PM
The NMLRA in Friendship got a shipment in Sept. Users report that it is exactly the same as the previous stuff. The N-SSA got a shipment for the National match last week. Much of it was sold but all the powder shot at the match was previously purchased so no new results from that crowd.

muskeg13
10-15-2023, 09:01 PM
Thanks Deadeye. With a little more searching, I ran across this posting on another website, that includes a VERY informative video that answers my questions. The news is good.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/goex-back-in-production.165006/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TZBLR7qM4s&t=183s

armoredman
10-15-2023, 11:47 PM
Yay! Now gimme caps!

pworley1
10-16-2023, 07:56 AM
Maybe this is a good sign.

Gobeyond
10-16-2023, 10:14 AM
So is it primarily a sportsman’s company. Why does he need the American gov. When he has us? That’s too big. Where is America getting their bp now?

Don McDowell
10-16-2023, 10:46 AM
One thing that people overlook or don't realize, Estes is the model rocket and other rocket motor go to company, they used Goex powders, so it only stands to reason that in an effort to keep the rocket motor company in business they bought the powder mill. Not to likely they would change any of the recipes because that would mess things up badly in the rocket motors.
The side benefit and the source of enough cash flow to keep the powder mill afloat is by law the military has to use American made blackpowder for their uses..

farmbif
10-16-2023, 11:49 AM
there is nothing quite like a government or military contract to keep a business in the black. good for them as long as they are on the up and up and supply those contracts with quality American made goods that perform as they are designed to. back in the day after sputnik went overhead and the race to the moon every kid on the block had Estes rockets. glad to see they are still in business.

elmacgyver0
10-16-2023, 12:32 PM
Not every kid, I made rockets with rolled paper tubes and Elmers's glue but couldn't afford too many of the little engines.
I made elaborate little space capsules for the Box Elder bug astronauts, but it was a rare occasion they got to go on a mission.

super6
10-16-2023, 12:54 PM
Not every kid, I made rockets with rolled paper tubes and Elmers's glue but couldn't afford too many of the little engines.
I made elaborate little space capsules for the Box Elder bug astronauts, but it was a rare occasion they got to go on a mission.

Yea we tried to make our own black with some stolen panty hose and some nitrate and sulfur from the drug store, Did not work so well! But we had fun with the high expectations! We told the pharmacist it for our mom! He did not by it but sold it to us anyway.

muskeg13
10-17-2023, 06:35 AM
So is it primarily a sportsman’s company. Why does he need the American gov. When he has us? That’s too big. Where is America getting their bp now?

No. From their website: Estes Energetics, along with its subsidiary Goex Industries, is an American manufacturer of black powder, chemicals, and rocket motors. Our agile and experienced team is proud to make products that support the Department of Defense, strengthen domestic production, preserve history, serve hunting and shooting sports enthusiasts, and ignite a passion for rocketry in our youth. Whether we’re performing research into energetic materials and products, or standing up American-made production, count on us to find a solution.

Boost motors for rocket-launched aircraft
Tactical missiles and rockets
High temperature materials
Aircraft recovery systems
Black powder
Metal nitrates

The GOEX Division is now primarily a U.S. Defense Contractor set up with DoD support to provide a secure domestic source of high quality black powder that is still a critical component in many modern munitions, particularly in fuzes (for artillery and grenades) and ignition systems (artillery, tank and rocket propellant initiation). Estes-GOEX has enough capacity to first meet its government obligations and then produce BP for commercial and sporting markets.

"We" are just a small part of the total US market. If it had made business sense to operate without US Government support, original GOEX and then Hodgdon would have kept the business going themselves. When the sole US BP manufacturer pulled the plug, DoD was put in a bind because you don't want to rely on imported BP with the safety, reliability, security and assured availability issues.

Drydock
10-17-2023, 04:59 PM
If it were not for ammonia based propellants needing bp igniter charges, I doubt bp would be manufactured by anyone on the planet. Sporting use is a tiny fraction of consumption.

dtknowles
10-19-2023, 10:10 PM
If it were not for ammonia based propellants needing bp igniter charges, I doubt bp would be manufactured by anyone on the planet. Sporting use is a tiny fraction of consumption.

Correction, Not "I doubt bp would be manufactured by anyone" should be "I doubt bp would be sold by anyone" a bunch of us would still be manufacturing BP for our own use.

Tim

Randy Bohannon
10-20-2023, 03:33 AM
How does Swiss and Schuetzen stay viable companies if Goex is such a insignificant player even with Gov. contracts ?

Drydock
10-20-2023, 03:10 PM
They all have government contracts. Just with different governments.

SSGOldfart
10-20-2023, 04:01 PM
Correction, Not "I doubt bp would be manufactured by anyone" should be "I doubt bp would be sold by anyone" a bunch of us would still be manufacturing BP for our own use.

Tim

Well put Sir :bigsmyl2:

Chill Wills
10-20-2023, 08:09 PM
At the way hot wars are popping up, GOEX may have to expand the powder plant. Sad!

Boz330
10-30-2023, 11:47 AM
Yea we tried to make our own black with some stolen panty hose and some nitrate and sulfur from the drug store, Did not work so well! But we had fun with the high expectations! We told the pharmacist it for our mom! He did not by it but sold it to us anyway.

The druggist wouldn't sell it to us but there was an older lady and when she was on the register she didn't know what it was and we could get the Saltpeter.

needmore
10-30-2023, 11:29 PM
Does this mean prices wil come down?

Don McDowell
10-31-2023, 10:41 AM
With the inflation in the economy prices coming down aren't likely.
Powder Inc shows Goex in stock for just short of 24$ lb in case lots.

deces
10-31-2023, 12:32 PM
How does Swiss and Schuetzen stay viable companies if Goex is such a insignificant player even with Gov. contracts ?

I believe Goex has had a couple accidents over the years. Aside from that, the failures are obviously management expenses. I'm looking at you Hodgdon.

Tom Trevor
10-31-2023, 12:44 PM
I will be at the range tomorrow to try out the NEW 2fg powder Estes has produced. I already have noted it is dull in color and is VERY dusty.Hope OE is produced soon and is better.

Don McDowell
10-31-2023, 02:06 PM
Tom there's been several on one of the muzzleloading forums have reported using the new production from Estes/Goex and say it shoots just the same as before the ownership change.

HWooldridge
10-31-2023, 03:59 PM
They probably lost some process expertise unless all of the former production employees came back to work. Granted, they should have work instructions and some/all of the old equipment but the human touch is always important, especially with regard to "tribal knowledge".

Tom Trevor
11-01-2023, 05:22 PM
To follow up my last post. We have had off shore desert winds for several days in Piru Don, today the temp was 84 and humidity was 8% yep 8. New 2fg shot as well as the old Hodgen powder sight settings were a couple of point lower in fact. As I said dusty but blow tube only used and a couple of damp patches were all needed at end of session. Hope IE to come is as good as it was as well.

Don McDowell
11-01-2023, 07:02 PM
Sounds good Tom

GregLaROCHE
11-03-2023, 04:03 AM
No matter whatever else, it’s good to hear that it is being produced and available.