PDA

View Full Version : why no primer section?

farmbif
10-12-2023, 09:39 AM
maybe im off base here but just been wondering about this. we have two sections devoted to shotgun stuff now and separate sections on everything else, why not have a separate discussion section devoted to primers

MUSTANG
10-12-2023, 09:59 AM
✔ Good question.

A revealed critical item often ignored over the last couple of decades.

lx2008
10-12-2023, 10:13 AM
well, if there was one now there would be nothing posted but "where are they & why is the cost so high" !

Soundguy
10-12-2023, 10:14 AM
I think it would be a great idea.. lots of alternative primers on the market now that regular components are scarce. good place for discussions. Argentina.. Bosnian.. etc..

Dusty Bannister
10-12-2023, 10:39 AM
Most has already been discussed a good bit, and if properly posted as a sub topic or in the subject line should be searchable.

MUSTANG
10-12-2023, 11:03 AM
well, if there was one now there would be nothing posted but "where are they & why is the cost so high" !

Not quite so. Many are pursuing and discussing short term to long term solutions on this site; not just regurgitating the hand wringing and Woe is Me discussions that often arise when market and political actions impact.

As an example; some of the post I have done (and many more have done on this site) addressing SOLUTIONS to the Primer challenges include:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?418245-Reloading-Primers-using-Prime-All-Mixture-(Testing-Results)&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?454549-Using-Large-Pistol-Primers-in-Place-of-Large-Rifle-Primers-(308-Win)&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?456429-NOE-Primer-Die-Set-to-Install-Primer-Anvils&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?456379-Primer-Remanufacturing-%96-Test-comparisons-decibel-readings&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?456428-NOE-Primer-Die-Set-to-Remove-Primer-Dimples&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?459139-Primer-Remanufacturing-%96-Tests-with-Cast-Loads-311041-and-Duplex-WC872-Loads&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?459272-Primer-Remanufacturing-%96-Tests-with-Swaged-195-Grain-and-W-760-Loads&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?459556-Anyone-made-Nitro-Cellulose-Lacquer-for-Primer-Remanufacturing&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?459355-Primer-Remanufacturing-%96-Red-Phosphorus-Mixtures&highlight=

I think the thrust of the thoughts for originator of this tread (and my own) are that there are hundreds and thousands of "Searches", reads, and comments on Primers on this site. Many are not adept at searching for a specific unique item, results when searching can be all over the place for results, and the area is one affecting just about every one who participates with posts or reading posts on this site. The creation of a separate "PRIMER" category might be of benefit to participants - say more so than creating a section on Black Power, Left Handed, Left Twist, Imported, Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun devices built in Lithuania and firing Smokeless Powder derived from Female Wombat Urine.

Yes; I am being quite Facetious, but a separate section on Primers may have more influence (number of people using primers approaches 99.9999% on this site) than some of the lesser niche areas where enthusiasts research, post, and enjoy a segment of our sport.

flyer1
10-12-2023, 10:08 PM
I like the idea of a primer section.

rbuck351
10-12-2023, 10:28 PM
I'll probably never need to buy another primer, but the idea of reloading primers interests me as well as making caps for my muzzle stuffers. I like the idea of a primer section

Sig556r
10-12-2023, 11:12 PM
How/when do the powers that be decide to add a new forum section?
Asking for a friend.

fiberoptik
10-12-2023, 11:13 PM
Ditto!

deces
10-13-2023, 12:01 AM
This is actually a great idea, just for the sole purpose of cleaning up the forum.

dverna
10-13-2023, 06:27 AM
There may be a bit of work in going through past posts and moving them to a new subforum. If that is the case, anyone wanting a new subform may want to volunteer to do the work and moderate it?

Like rbuck, there is almost no chance I will ever remanufcturer primers. I have enough to last my lifetime if I do not waste a lot plinking. Plus, prices are down to the level I can afford to buy 5k a year if I want to go back to shooting more CF.

gwpercle
10-14-2023, 08:58 AM
Now that "reloading" primers is possible and feasible for the home reloader to do ...
A section that contains all the info in one place would be welcomed by myself .

I'm not good at doing searches but looking through "stickies" usually gets me the info I need . I might have a lifetime supply of primers ... but I know I have a gallon zip-lock full of spent primers , when my daughter was small she would help me by sweeping the floor as I reloaded... she put every primer in that zip-lock for me too ... I got the spent primers !
Gary

firefly1957
10-15-2023, 05:12 PM
I have recently started work on making percussion caps current methods have been not as good as I expected but it is a learning curve.

MUSTANG
10-15-2023, 07:26 PM
I have recently started work on making percussion caps current methods have been not as good as I expected but it is a learning curve.

Just to comment on making the Percussion Cap:

I discovered the Percussion Caps need a Binder to create a solid "Pellet" of the Primer mixture. My efforts for my 50 Hawken were good to terrible until I recognized that. The use of "Paper Foil" in percussion caps is highly problematic as the unburned paper tends to plug the Flash hole after one or more series of Caps being fired. Some primer/cap mixtures do not work well because of this.

firefly1957
10-16-2023, 07:00 AM
Thanks Mustang I have yet to get that far I am using Barium Chlorate as a base impact sensitive oxidizer and fuels have been mostly Charcoal & Aluminum powder . I am using Gum Arabic binder with Charcoal fuel and Nitro cellulose with Aluminum powder .
I have to stay away from sulfur as it reacts with Barium something I did not plan on to begin with. From what I am reading I may have to much material in cap causing a cushioning effect . Initial tests have been on a anvil with a hammer then I try mixture in cap on a duck foot pistol that has been left uncleaned to test for corrosion so far I have had no rust .
Supposedly Barium Chlorate is more sensitive then Potassium Chlorate but I am finding it about the same as Ammonium perchlorate in impact ignition taking quite a hit but being powerful when it does work.
Oddly the most sensitive mix I found was from my first attempt with Barium Chlorate and charcoal, when I spilled to much water in mix and wiped it up with a paper towel . The dried paper towel just needed a tap to go up in green flames! I may experiment with that some more ....

Soundguy
10-16-2023, 11:43 AM
Interesting!

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-16-2023, 11:57 AM
How/when do the powers that be decide to add a new forum section?
Asking for a friend.
When they read threads like this ;)

I also think a single sub-forum for primers is a good idea.

Now as for right now...
a smart feller would post about the DIY process of making primers in "Special Projects"
AND...
making your own percussion caps in "Muzzleloading"
AND...
lastly, threads about commercial primers and selecting which brand for a specific application, could be posted in "CB Loads, Your Favorite Cartridge"

imashooter2
10-16-2023, 02:53 PM
My opinion is we should get rid of half the sections we have now.

deces
10-16-2023, 03:38 PM
Yeah really, all I see when I log in is WTS threads.

MUSTANG
10-16-2023, 04:06 PM
On a serious note -

I believe that many who would post "Quality" posts concerning their reloading, load development, casting experiences, etc... are limiting their efforts (that result in posts) because of the combination of limited supplies and compared to two years ago - massively higher prices; and then of course the caution that we could enter into another "Dry Period" for components adds to those concerns.

Ed K
10-16-2023, 05:12 PM
As a big bore revolver shooter any factory equivalent ammo is at least $1.50-$2.00/shot. With powder at about a dime, primers(today) at 8 cents, lead scrounged and brass re-used I have bigger fish to fry. If primers cannot be had then that's one thing but most of us could buy all we want right now at around $80/brick. Why not keep this from happening to you again?

Now if you're a wannabe chemist and the challenge calls to you fine. I don't see it as an issue of economics. Don't let it happen to you again!

As to the OP, I'm ambivalent.

imashooter2
10-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Yeah really, all I see when I log in is WTS threads.

The current economy has a lot of folks selling off "excess" inventory to maintain their hobby.

MUSTANG
10-16-2023, 06:29 PM
I noted 679 Views when I opened the post a couple of minutes ago. Seems that there is some level of interest in a dedicated Primer Section - Why else would hundreds open and view.

Ed K
10-16-2023, 07:37 PM
With you representing #680 views and writing post #24 it means only 3.6% felt it worth offering their opinion. How is that interpreted?

MUSTANG
10-16-2023, 09:12 PM
Who knows.

Vintage Rifle & Range Scopes has it's own Forum with only 10 Threads started. In those 10 threads; there is a total of 2,851 views. In it there are only 54 comments including the Original Comment for each of the 10 threads. That means only 1.9% found Vintage Rifle & Range Scopes worth commenting on - and it was created to meet some demand somewhere.

imashooter2
10-16-2023, 10:12 PM
Who knows.

Vintage Rifle & Range Scopes has it's own Forum with only 10 Threads started. In those 10 threads; there is a total of 2,851 views. In it there are on 54 comments including the Original Comment for each of the 10 threads. That means only 1.9% found Vintage Rifle & Range Scopes worth commenting on - and it was created to meet some demand somewhere.

Yep. Half the sub forums we have now should be consolidated into their parents.

MUSTANG
10-29-2023, 10:20 AM
And we have another Primer based Topic (Primer Cup Fabrication) that as of today has 16 thread posts and 387 views. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?461443-Primer-cup-manufacturing-from-017-thick-galvanized-steel

There is some level of Focused interest on the Forum specific to the broad aspects of Primers.