PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell Chrono, Died.

Hootmix
10-11-2023, 11:01 AM
Called Caldwell and ask about a new board, gave the young feller the NO's on the board,(silence) "I'm not familiar with that old of model". Can i buy a new board for my unit? (silence), talking to someone there, no, we don't stock internal parts for our units "not even the newer models", I ask where can i get one from a outside source (silence) we don't have any outside sources, because the internal components are imports. polite young feller and i thanked him, "you will have to buy a newer unit".

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Murphy
10-11-2023, 11:59 AM
Dadgum the luck. Hope you can find a fix for it.

Murphy

Electrod47
10-11-2023, 12:20 PM
Well, You tried.....the newer units offer so much more these days.

Hootmix
10-11-2023, 02:28 PM
Hey Murphy, hope all's good w/ you. Did a lot of research found out the co. that made the boards for my (date on board 10/11) old unit was bought out by "SMITH & WESSON", to many rabbit holes. I like having a chrono, will buy another, but it won't be a Caldwell.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

popper
10-13-2023, 05:37 PM
https://www.snipercountry.com/best-shooting-chronograph-review/ Of the remaining chrony companies. I have a working shooting chrony and magnetospeed I'll sell sometime as I don't need them anymore.

metricmonkeywrench
10-13-2023, 06:28 PM
That’s the world of today I guess, a disposable society with little to no product support.

Just to ask, did you open it up to see what piece may have let the magic smoke out?

Hootmix
10-13-2023, 11:56 PM
metricmonkey, my unit just started showing, 591,or 476 or just 3# readings, i turn it off then back on the numbers would not stop . I have to admit it has been a good unit , until it went crazy. Called Caldwell , didn't have internal parts for my old unit, said they don't stock (have) internal parts for their new units, just buy a new unit. I did open"er up everything looked "new" to me, closed it up. Looking at the Pro Chrono as i'm on a small budget.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

uscra112
10-14-2023, 02:47 AM
In most instances chip foundries make millions of a given processor or mem chip at flank speed, but when the next generation is ready, they retool and move on. Sometimes in a matter of months. So when the pipeline for any particular chip goes empty, that's all she wrote. Economically impossible for them to go back and tool up for small quantities of an obsolete chip. Best of all possible worlds would be a boutique foundry that could use the old tooling, but so far it hasn't happened.

Yeah, I hate it too, but that's how it is.

georgerkahn
10-14-2023, 06:59 AM
Called Caldwell and ask about a new board, gave the young feller the NO's on the board,(silence) "I'm not familiar with that old of model". Can i buy a new board for my unit? (silence), talking to someone there, no, we don't stock internal parts for our units "not even the newer models", I ask where can i get one from a outside source (silence) we don't have any outside sources, because the internal components are imports. polite young feller and i thanked him, "you will have to buy a newer unit".

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

I hear and feel your pain and frustration -- been there! In my years as an electronics tech, sooooo many "repairs" were successfully achieved by: 1/ removing and discarding batteries -- even if they tested "good"; 2/ using pencil-eraser material to clean all battery terminals in units; cleaning any/all contacts and plugs and sockets; leaving unit off without any batteries or power overnight -- and then insert NEW batteries and try the next day.
You did not indicate your need for a new board -- did you put a bullet hole in it :)? (I've been there doing this, too :() But -- hey -- if it is just a failure you may wish to try my suggestions? Good luck and best wishes!
geo

uscra112
10-14-2023, 07:13 AM
He didn't shoot it. When he turns it on the readout goes haywire.

Some devices have a "master reset" that is often actuated by poking a paper clip through a tiny hole.

Battery contacts! Don't get me started.

pertnear
10-14-2023, 08:21 AM
Hootmix, What board do you need? I have a caldwell that suffered a GSW but I saved for parts. You're welcome to it.

I like my coffee black, pertnear.:coffee:

Hootmix
10-14-2023, 02:32 PM
pertnear,( neat handle), Mr. Pert i'm a cowboy (retired), i have no skills for this type thing. Like i mentioned mine was made some where around 20/11, got it used in a trade and it has been great for the last 2yrs.Then Error3 & Error2 got to blaming each other for not working, then mother numbers would scramble all the numbers. Soooo, not sure which part to blame. I will be thankful to have it, PM me the shipping cost.

yes, the coffee's ready. Hootmix

pertnear
10-14-2023, 08:08 PM
PM sent.

trapper9260
10-15-2023, 05:48 AM
metricmonkey, my unit just started showing, 591,or 476 or just 3# readings, i turn it off then back on the numbers would not stop . I have to admit it has been a good unit , until it went crazy. Called Caldwell , didn't have internal parts for my old unit, said they don't stock (have) internal parts for their new units, just buy a new unit. I did open"er up everything looked "new" to me, closed it up. Looking at the Pro Chrono as i'm on a small budget.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

I got a ProChrono and I killed it once and had it sent in and thy could not fix it ,so charge me half the price of New one that is a new one that they sent me. Just the part they could not repair that is the chrono itself . Just to let you know about the company . For what they done for me .

firefly1957
10-17-2023, 07:50 AM
My original Chrony started not working on me I got all kinds of weird readings and I tracked the problem to a non alkaline 9 volt battery .

Shortly after I was shooting without the cardboard guides that came with the old ones and shot it .45 stopped it with one shot! The new ones work a lot better only issue I have had is they need to be shaded from direct sunlight or readings may be wrong.

Scrounge
10-17-2023, 10:33 AM

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Try a shot of contact cleaner in the various switches and battery compartment. I revived one that Bookworm gave me that way a few years ago. A can of the CRC that I used is currently about $11 plus tax at Walmart.com, should be able to pick it up from their automotive section. And about $8 for the WD-40 brand contact cleaner. Haven't used that, can't swear it works, but it should.

KenH
10-17-2023, 11:56 AM

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Shucks Cowboy - that must be the Chrono I traded you? Sorry to hear it died. Like me, it sounds like you enjoy having a chrono to check velocity of loads. I went with the ProChrono-DLX chrono with the BlueTooth option and have good results with it. It's now $151 shipped at:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/competition-electronics-prochrono-dlx-with-bluetooth.html

Here's a really cheap $55 shipped that I know nothing about:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5ZY8M4V/

Hootmix
10-27-2023, 07:38 PM
Chrono UP Date!! MR. pertnear, sent me the internal parts from a "wounded Caldwell" and i spent some time changing different parts around and got the unit to working. Slipped off to the range, fired 24 rounds across the unit, no errors or glitches. Hey Ken, found a sticker inside (our) the unit dated 8/06, man we have put a lot of round across this unit. I do feel kind'a lost w/out "our" ( you, pert * myself) chrono.

coffee all around, Hootmix.