PDA

View Full Version : How can I

DeanoBeanCounter
10-08-2023, 04:10 PM
I've go an old Marlin, I think it's model 94. It's about 125 years old. Antic value is destoryed, I just want it working. Shooting it on day it was only shooting about half the ammo. I took the bolt out and couldn't get the firing pin out. I soaked the bolt in carburetor cleaner and still couldn't get the firing pin out. Then I tried soaking it in C.L.R., same story. Well I managed to get the pin out now. Found all sorts of goo all over the firing pin. I'm thinking of trying gasoline next. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts of what else to do?
Thanks
Dean

Kenstone
10-08-2023, 04:12 PM
Use ATF and a brass wire brush to clean the goo off.
jmo,

BLAHUT
10-08-2023, 04:14 PM
I've go an old Marlin, I think it's model 94. It's about 125 years old. Antic value is destoryed, I just want it working. Shooting it on day it was only shooting about half the ammo. I took the bolt out and couldn't get the firing pin out. I soaked the bolt in carburetor cleaner and still couldn't get the firing pin out. Then I tried soaking it in C.L.R., same story. Well I managed to get the pin out now. Found all sorts of goo all over the firing pin. I'm thinking of trying gasoline next. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts of what else to do?
Thanks
Dean

G-96 or boreteck eliminator

georgerkahn
10-08-2023, 05:08 PM
I second BLAHUT's recommendation, with a very strong suggestion for G-96! I had a 1903 with similar as yours challenge, and -- I'm NOT any sort of a gunsmith :) -- I took it to a professional. He sold me a can of G-96 and told me to spray the poop (albeit he used another word ;)) out of it; leave it overnight; repeat; and -- without taking anything apart -- try it. Bion, the rifle began and continued to function 100%! Shortly after -- next trip to shop -- I bought TWO more cans of G96. This was probably 20+ years ago -- and to this day, G96 is my "gunsmith in a can"!
geo

[Re a 'chemical' -- I would go for acetone before gasoline.... just me.]

Winger Ed.
10-08-2023, 05:44 PM
Acetone from the big box store is stronger than gasoline, and right up there with carb. cleaner.
I'd also plan on at least a couple of overnight soaks.