PDA

View Full Version : Puma Brass Frame

missionary5155
02-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Good evening
Can anyone advise on the durability of the Brass frame Puma in 45 Colt ? I guess 44 magnum would also fall into this catagory.
Thanks ! Mike

Bret4207
02-13-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't recall ever hearing of one in brass. Are you sure it's not plated steel? Come to think of it someone else mentioned a brass framed lever gun recently here. Not sure if it was a Puma.

missionary5155
02-13-2009, 08:14 PM
The add on Gunbroker said it was a discontinued model. I have not personally seen it only the add. Has a 24 " Octagon barrel for under $470 NIB.
Mike

John Boy
02-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Can anyone advise on the durability of the Brass frame Puma in 45 Colt ?

I don't recall ever hearing of one in brass. Are you sure it's not plated steel?Gentlemen: I have two, both are 45's. An EMF LSI - 24" octagon and a 20" round barrel Puma. Both of these rifles were made by Rossi in Brazil and are now discontinued.

Both are brass receivers, not plated steel. In fact, all of my CAS main match rifles are brass frames because I like the color. That's why I don't and won't own a '73.

The LSI is a workhorse and with no exaggeration has 10,000+ rounds through it ... 98% black powder. Not 1 broken part - no stretched frame and has been field stripped twice since 2003. This one has a race job done by Nate Jones and today, it is as slick as the day out of box. The Puma is stock and only has about 2000 BP rounds through the barrel. It too has had no broken parts.

Both rifles have Marbles peep sights and the wood has been refinished, plus accurately shoot to 200yds.

If I had known that Rossi was discontinuing the brass ones, I'd have bought a couple more.

Bret4207
02-14-2009, 09:38 AM
There ya go!

Freightman
02-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Gentlemen: I have two, both are 45's. An EMF LSI - 24" octagon and a 20" round barrel Puma. Both of these rifles were made by Rossi in Brazil and are now discontinued.

Both are brass receivers, not plated steel. In fact, all of my CAS main match rifles are brass frames because I like the color. That's why I don't and won't own a '73.

The LSI is a workhorse and with no exaggeration has 10,000+ rounds through it ... 98% black powder. Not 1 broken part - no stretched frame and has been field stripped twice since 2003. This one has a race job done by Nate Jones and today, it is as slick as the day out of box. The Puma is stock and only has about 2000 BP rounds through the barrel. It too has had no broken parts.

Both rifles have Marbles peep sights and the wood has been refinished, plus accurately shoot to 200yds.

If I had known that Rossi was discontinuing the brass ones, I'd have bought a couple more.
I have a 45 Colt LSI Puma with a brass frame and have shot it for 1000 rds since December and not one problem and my loads on the most part are not "cowboy loads" most are in the 1200-1500 fps class, I love mine and am looking on getting a 357 this year. I know I can't get a brass frame one but they have impressed me.

Pepe Ray
02-14-2009, 02:38 PM
I would caution Frightman.
My late neighbor/gunsmith was a designated repairman for that "Italian" outfit. He got in a brass framed M92 for repair. It was stretched, badly. The "Yahoo" owner liked his HOT loads and the rifle wouldn't take it.
It's a pity. Using proper loads it should last forever.
Pepe Ray