PDA

View Full Version : Dick Butkus

tinsnips
10-05-2023, 07:04 PM
Just saw that Dick Butkus passed away at the age of 80. Watched him play alot tuff dude.

Wheelguns 1961
10-05-2023, 07:36 PM
He was one of the greatest defensive players ever. When I was a kid, we all wanted to wear #51. RIP Mr. Butkus.

Minerat
10-05-2023, 09:24 PM
We Donkey fans hated him but what a talented man. RIP Mr. Butkus

Winger Ed.
10-05-2023, 10:12 PM
I liked watching him and its sad to see him pass on.

Txcowboy52
10-05-2023, 10:30 PM
A very talented defensive player no doubt . A real hard nosed tough guy . He will be missed. Rest in peace Mr. Butkus.

stubshaft
10-05-2023, 10:33 PM
A legendary defensive player.

gc45
10-05-2023, 10:36 PM
For me, his entire era of NFL was fantastic. The players were hard nosed with passion for the game, not just money. I watched Butkus both in college and in the Pros thinking what a tough, tough guy.

May he RIP.

jsizemore
10-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Could you imagine him playing in the NFL today? There would have to be a ref just to keep an eye on him. It sure was fun watching him "play". Singletary did a great job as his replacement. Go Bears!

shooterg
10-06-2023, 04:51 PM
Still like to watch Butkus highlights on Youtube . They'd flag him on every play now !
Not a terrible actor either on a couple TV shows and other parts.

slim1836
10-06-2023, 05:41 PM
Legendary, R.I.P. Mr. Butkus.

Slim

Tall
10-06-2023, 05:41 PM
Loved his Miller Lite commercials. Those aired a long time ago. RIP!

abunaitoo
10-07-2023, 09:39 PM
He was an animal on the field, but such a nice guy off it.
Other players would be intimidated even before the game started.
He had a good acting career.
I thought he was funny.
RIP Mr. 51

Kraschenbirn
10-08-2023, 11:56 AM
I was at University of Illinois at the same time as Dick Butkus. We moved in different social circles but I, occasionally, saw him around campus. Actually met him once while in Chicago for a trade show with an old buddy who had also played football for Illinois...one of those guys at bottom of the roster who only got on the field when the team was ahead by three or four touchdowns. We were having dinner at Georgetti's when Butkus came in and stopped by our table to say 'Hello' to my buddy...who introduced me as another Illini alumni who'd been on campus at the same they were there. In those few minutes, he came across as a very 'personable' guy who wouldn't have been out of place chatting in a neighborhood bar with a cold one in his hand.

Bill

lightman
10-09-2023, 05:41 PM
I always enjoyed watching him play. RIP Sir!

kungfustyle
10-09-2023, 05:57 PM
Great Guy, I met him at when I worked at Disney. It was in the early 2000's. I was a bellman at the time and got to check him out of his room. He could barley move. It took him 5 over minutes to climb into the van for the airport, when a kid came running up to ask for an autograph. He got out of the van and signed the autograph. Wow! Now that's someone worth looking up to.

Rapier
10-10-2023, 09:08 AM
Yep, heard he had passed, sad day for sports in total. He was a true professional on and off the field. As a middle line backer, he was the defensive equivelant of the offense quarter back. Watched his films and watched him play. He played in the college all star game against the NFL championship team. He single-handedly tackeled the entire backfield of the NFL team and was flagged four times for unnecessary roughness, as a college player.
As a college player he gave up nothing to the pros. Today you have the Butkus trophy for the annual top linebacker.